dacapo

let's shut the government

"If we don't get what we want, one way or the other ... I will shut down the government." : donny t.

Just now, dacapo said:

"If we don't get what we want, one way or the other ... I will shut down the government." : donny t.

Geez, every other time it was the house that shut it down.

Why the sudden shift of viewpoint?

Hey why is Pence in the room with Pelosi? I thought he needed his wife there to hold his balls firmly when he was in a meeting with a woman involved. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Saorsa said:
3 minutes ago, dacapo said:

It appears that President Trump said he would do that.  I guess we should hold him to his word.

Has any other President said "I will shut down the government"?

Just trying to find consistency, here.

3 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

It appears that President Trump said he would do that.  I guess we should hold him to his word.

Has any other President said "I will shut down the government"?

Just trying to find consistency, here.

It's OK, I was just trying to find consistency there.

4 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

It's OK, I was just trying to find consistency there.

The quote was from a sitting President vowing to shut down the government.  You know "I will...."

I don't recall any other President saying such a thing.  Do you?

Comparing comparable statements would be consistent.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

Yes, shut it down completely. My favored form of gov't is classical anarchy anyway.

The NRA needs something like this to recover perhaps the Russians would be willing to contribute.

19 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

The quote was from a sitting President vowing to shut down the government.  You know "I will...."

I have a phone and a pen

3 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Sigh. If there was ever going to be a wall we would have had one two years ago. When will Trump ever figure that out?

Never. It's a sop to the scared shitless mouthbreathers.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

I guess no one else remembers a President saying he would do it.

Now, assigning blame is part of the game.

But, vowing to do it....well, we are in new territory, I believe.

40 minutes ago, Rum Runner said:

Hey why is Pence in the room with Pelosi? I thought he needed his wife there to hold his balls firmly when he was in a meeting with a woman involved. 

He's not alone with her.

27 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

He's not alone with her.

I don't think he's ever alone with anybody.....

It's hard to be lonely when you're a schizophrenic.

Schumer is one oleaginous serpent and that ancient whore Pelosi must buy foundation by the barrel.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, J28 said:

Schumer is one oleaginous serpent and that ancient whore Pelosi must buy foundation by the barrel.

Her predecessor (Dennis Hastert) likes boys. Her could be successor (Jim Jordan) looks the other way when guys like Dennis Hastert have their fun with boys. What is it about Republicans and pederasty?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BillDBastard said:

Who would notice?

Sore-ass, when his SS direct deposit doesn't hit.

So, could Herr Trump shut down the government, including House and the Mueller investigations?

And if so, could he then invoke martial law when another immigrant caravan army came a-knockin?

At what point would FOX & friends & supposedly patriotic GOPers realize that we have a problem?

Yes

I suppose

When the money flow stops

HaHaHa

Nancy Pelosi was on fire with her fellow Democrats. 

Minutes after a very public showdown with Donald Trump over his border wall with Mexico, the California Democrat returned to the Capitol and railed against the president in a private meeting with House Democrats. 

Trump “must have said the word ‘wall’ 30 times,” the House minority leader said, according to multiple sources in the room. 

“I was trying to be the mom,” she added, but “it goes to show you: you get into a tinkle contest with a skunk, you get tinkle all over you.”

Read more: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/11/pelosi-disses-trumps-manhood-white-house-meeting-1057607 

So, a president vows to shut down the gov anytime he doesn't get what he wants...this does not sound like a functioning democracy.

Using the military to "defend" borders, build walls and support ICE...what next?

I'd love to be a fly on the wall and know what other things he's been talked out of..when he had some sensible and sane advisors (Mattis will be gone next)

Trump's like a rat cornered..with the powers to block supply and his precious executive orders and pardoning powers, and knowing he'll likely be arrested the moment he is no longer President..which way will he try to jump?..El President for life?

3 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

So, a president vows to shut down the gov anytime he doesn't get what he wants...this does not sound like a functioning democracy.

Using the military to "defend" borders, build walls and support ICE...what next?

I'd love to be a fly on the wall and know what other things he's been talked out of..when he had some sensible and sane advisors (Mattis will be gone next)

Trump's like a rat cornered..with the powers to block supply and his precious executive orders and pardoning powers, and knowing he'll likely be arrested the moment he is no longer President..which way will he try to jump?..El President for life?

I don't mind the shutdowns all that much. They are all just show, and cost a few bucks, but don't really do much.

Now, miss a debt payment? That better not fucking happen.

12 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

I don't mind the shutdowns all that much. They are all just show, and cost a few bucks, but don't really do much.

Now, miss a debt payment? That better not fucking happen.

what about being furloughed 4 days before christmas?

3 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

what about being furloughed 4 days before christmas?

It doesn't really work that way. Yes, they don't work, but Congress has always given them pay for those days.

That's why it does cost a bit.

15 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

It doesn't really work that way. Yes, they don't work, but Congress has always given them pay for those days.

That's why it does cost a bit.

Ah..thanks. I thought you'd have hundreds of thousands of unpaid public servants without their boxing day sales money.

21 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Ah..thanks. I thought you'd have hundreds of thousands of unpaid public servants without their boxing day sales money.

It does suck for them, as the pay can be delayed.

7 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

Mmmmm, paid well to not work...….. oh the horror.

You're an idiot.

I suppose it's OK to skip your mortgage payments because the President wants a wall.

No I am not the idiot here Bob. We have had 3 shutdowns in the past two and a half decades. Most recent was 16 days in total. In 1995 we had on that lasted 3-4 days and a second one that went from mid December to early January. I think the total number of days was like 26-27 days for the two. Subtract out weekends and holidays and it is little more than a paid vacation, albeit unplanned. Average annual income for federal employees is around $55-60,000 per annum. This just about matches all Americans. Very few people who work for the federal government live hand to mouth so some notion that they will miss a mortgage payment is absurd.

15 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

You're an idiot.

I suppose it's OK to skip your mortgage payments because the President wants a wall.

Says the loser troll from Oz.  Can you imagine a sadder life than spending wasting so much time on an Internet forum trolling about the politics of a nation literally a half a world away?  

• Downvote 1

Pure distraction. Everyone knew that there was a hearing today about Paulie Whoopsies’ penchant for speaking Trump Tower instead of Honest English. So we had a bit of Kabuki theater, without telling Nance and Chuck that they were in the cast. 

• Like 1

Most of the govt had been funded. Only a small portion will be affected if there is a shutdown. 

With that said , if I were the Dems I’d offer all the money he wants for the wall  BUT in exchange an immediate path to citizenship for the dreamers  and some type of immunity/ stay visa for those illegals already on the country. 

And a a total rewrite of the immigration system which all can agree upon 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dacapo said:

Most of the govt had been funded. Only a small portion will be affected if there is a shutdown. 

With that said , if I were the Dems I’d offer all the money he wants for the wall  BUT in exchange an immediate path to citizenship and some type of immunity/ stay visa for those illegals already on the country. 

And a a total rewrite of the immigration system which all can agree upon 

Absolutely, amnesty, guest worker, relaxed H1B, all for $10B.

A bargain.

Well what about all the people in line that those who would run across the border have jumped ahead of?

The other issue I see is the process of criminal background checks. Keep the FBI busy for decades!

But, and it is a big butt, is what alternative do we have? 22 million illegals and no freakin way to do shite about it.

The other thing is this, only people who are gonna come forward are the ones who do not present a problem in the first place. Those with issues will still lurk in the shadows. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Absolutely, amnesty, guest worker, relaxed H1B, all for $10B.

A bargain.

I guess you didn’t hear Trump on the campaign trail.... go back and process back In legally... Common Sense 

Just now, SailBlueH2O said:

I guess you didn’t hear Trump on the campaign trail.... go back and process back In legally... Common Sense 

What Trump say don't mean shit, the legal process barely exists.  Next..... 

Soo Obama threatens shutdown—- good.

Orange wonder threatens shutdown—- bad

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Snore said:

Soo Obama threatens shutdown—- good.

Orange wonder threatens shutdown—- bad

What did Obummer say?

3 hours ago, J28 said:

That is pretty funny when she is sitting next to your pres that is actually married to a whore and probably spends more time each day on make up than Pelosi.

That said, I do hope they find someone more suitable for next speaker.

5 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

What did Obummer say?

you can keep your doctor...........

1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Pure distraction. Everyone knew that there was a hearing today about Paulie Whoopsies’ penchant for speaking Trump Tower instead of Honest English. So we had a bit of Kabuki theater, without telling Nance and Chuck that they were in the cast. 

I'm sure they know their part. Happy to be back center stage and all that implies. 

:)

21 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

Well what about all the people in line that those who would run across the border have jumped ahead of?

The other issue I see is the process of criminal background checks. Keep the FBI busy for decades!

But, and it is a big butt, is what alternative do we have? 22 million illegals and no freakin way to do shite about it.

The other thing is this, only people who are gonna come forward are the ones who do not present a problem in the first place. Those with issues will still lurk in the shadows. 

where's this "line" anyways??  fuck me, seems that it should be pretty damn long ehh?  like waiting on black  friday to go into walmart but longer....much ...covfefe....

22 million?  You read the chart incorrectly.    put the Yes album down and read  closer   " E L E V E N    M I L L I O N"

BUT you're correct....we're not getting 11 million illegals , many who have been here for decades so amnesty, let them die here , most of them paying taxes, give the dreamers a pathway to citizenship, close loopholes in HB1 visas, overstaying visas,  donny will have a wall built in 2-3 decades (the lawsuits will take at least that long....not to metion the EIS and other road blocks)

BTW   almost 60% of the illegal immigrants in the US are in 6 states Cali, Texas, NY, NJ Florida and Illinois (Why Illinois???)

back to Europe 72'

2 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

or maybe so?

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/11/28/5-facts-about-illegal-immigration-in-the-u-s/

so....let's split the difference...and say 16 million.............still not gonna round up 16 million people.....

The last time I checked, the Americans still have a majority in the House and Senate, and control the White House. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J28 said:

Says the loser troll from Oz.  Can you imagine a sadder life than spending wasting so much time on an Internet forum trolling about the politics of a nation literally a half a world away?  

It's tax deductible :D 

11 minutes ago, animeproblem said:

^ I prefer the live version on "Yes Songs".

I actually......... Almost despise "YES"..... Almost....

I admire their talent, but the..... Bruford/Squire percussion over rides the Anderson preciousness.... Steve Howe was an improvement over Banks, but still.... Just all a little to precious, and pretentious.

Bruford, and Tony Levin with Adrian Belew, and Robt. Fripp.  King Crimson, was awesome.

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

King Crimson, was awesome.

How do you feel about Henry Cow?

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Call me superstitious..

If you don't know what you're missing, you don't miss it.

15 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Bruford, and Tony Levin with Adrian Belew, and Robt. Fripp.  King Crimson, was awesome.

No love for Greg Lake?

16 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

How do you feel about Henry Cow?

Never heard of them until now....

ear piercingly discordant might be a polite term for my opinion of them....

10 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

ear piercingly discordant might be a polite term for my opinion of them....

That is one of their more inaccessible albums, but Lindsey Cooper's compositions were usually like that. And the term "Western Culture" is reflective of such discord.

You need to play a musical instrument or three to appreciate a lot of Henry Cow.

3 hours ago, BillDBastard said:

Ah yes, Fanfare for the Common Man.

Great piece. Did you know that Copeland was approached by the US gov't to write the music as a bit of inspirational propaganda?

On December 11, 2018 at 12:57 PM, dacapo said:

A temper tantrum he's having? Maybe he can hold his breath and turn purple---and then forget to start breathing again.

1 hour ago, Al Paca said:

If it gets shut down, does Melania pay out of her own wallet to get her twat waxed ?

Pretty sure the waxer would be considered essential personnel.  

"It doesn't really work that way. Yes, they don't work, but Congress has always given them pay for those days."

True for the Feds but not for the contractors. My wife worked as a programmer at the FAA and every shut down that lasted longer than a couple of weeks caused a lot of talent to flow out of the FAA (including, at one point, the guy that supported her departments server for over 10 years). Hard to keep continuity in programs with key people leaving.

13 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

Great piece. Did you know that Copeland was approached by the US gov't to write the music as a bit of inspirational propaganda?

Didn't know that. Saw ELP a handful of times. Brain Salad Surgery through Works era. Works, one of the shows was with a full orchestra, which was phenomenal, to say the least.

IIRC there was an interview with Greg Lake way back when and he mentioned that the original concept was to have a lead guitar player in the band as well. The band was to be known as H.E.L.P..... the H being Jimi Hendrix.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, learningJ24 said:

"It doesn't really work that way. Yes, they don't work, but Congress has always given them pay for those days."

True for the Feds but not for the contractors. My wife worked as a programmer at the FAA and every shut down that lasted longer than a couple of weeks caused a lot of talent to flow out of the FAA (including, at one point, the guy that supported her departments server for over 10 years). Hard to keep continuity in programs with key people leaving.

good point.

On 12/11/2018 at 12:58 PM, Saorsa said:

I remember Teddy Cruz having a go at it.

I'm probably remembering this incorrectly, but every time the government has shutdown in the past it's because it hasn't been funded.  In other words, the bills that needed to be passed to get the money to pay the government workers weren't passed.

So, first, does Trump have the ability to simple "tell" members of government to stop cutting paychecks?

Secondly, how does stopping the wages of every government employee somehow get the democrats to vote for a wall?

Third, what type of mental state must it take to be ready to fuck over that many people if you don't get your way?

1 hour ago, Grrr... said:

Third, what type of mental state must it take to be ready to fuck over that many people if you don't get your way?

That's a rhetorical question, yes? ;)

33 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

I'm probably remembering this incorrectly, but every time the government has shutdown in the past it's because it hasn't been funded.  In other words, the bills that needed to be passed to get the money to pay the government workers weren't passed.

So, first, does Trump have the ability to simple "tell" members of government to stop cutting paychecks?

Secondly, how does stopping the wages of every government employee somehow get the democrats to vote for a wall?

Are you aware that only 5 of the Fed agencies are not funded at this point?  And that they always get paid in the end?

If the Republicans in the House pass a border control bill with $5 billion in it for a “wall”, and Schumer (who has anted up ~ $2 billion) won’t let less than 10 of his members vote for it, who’s responsible for the shutdown?  Keep in mind “border control” is like a 70/30 issue and that the $3 billion delta is the amount the govt spends in about 7 hours.

2 minutes ago, J28 said:

Are you aware that only 5 of the Fed agencies are not funded at this point?  And that they always get paid in the end?

If the Republicans in the House pass a border control bill with $5 billion in it for a “wall”, and Schumer won’t let less than 10 of his members vote for it, who’s responsible for the shutdown?  Keep in mind “border control” is like a 70/30 issue.

Republicans run the house and Senate, and could force it. 
They are pussies.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, J28 said:

Explain how they could “push it” in the Senate.

suspend rules. Mitch know's how.

5 minutes ago, J28 said:

Ummmm cloture, but you knew that.

Didn't matter for Kavenaugh...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J28 said:

If the Republicans in the House pass a border control bill with $5 billion in it for a “wall”, and Schumer (who has anted up ~ $2 billion) won’t let less than 10 of his members vote for it, who’s responsible for the shutdown?  Keep in mind “border control” is like a 70/30 issue and that the $3 billion delta is the amount the govt spends in about 7 hours.

"Mexico will pay for the wall" - How many times has Donnie said that?  Gotta be over a hundred. 

Instead it will be a huge waste of OUR taxpayer money. 

14 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Didn't matter for Kavenaugh...

Riddle me this, what is the difference in Senate rules between confirming a judge or justice and passing a bill.

Get back to me when you figure it out.

@Raz'r still waiting......

Riddle me this, what is the difference in Senate rules between confirming a judge or justice and passing a bill.

2 hours ago, J28 said:

@Raz'r still waiting......

Ahh poor J28. His precious house reps are bailing. It won't even make it to the Senate for Mitch to turtle-veto it.