dacapo

let's shut the government

'Appalling' toilets and rule-breaking as US shutdown hits national parks

Human waste by the side of a busy road in Yosemite. Overflowing toilets in the Grand Canyon. The Rocky Mountains inaccessible because of unplowed roads.

And in all these places, ordinary people stepping in to try to save some of America’s most revered landmarks from being overrun.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jan/04/national-parks-government-shutdown

Smokey the Bear says “only YOU can prevent forest fires”. Is really true now 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

If the dadgum gubbermint would give that land to it's rightful owners, this would all be fine.

-DSK

I love it when politicians pander for the Anti-Castro Cuban vote by tickling the Fanjuls’ (Big Sugar) balls with talk about demanding that their pre-revolution land in Cuba be returned. 

If that works, I want to represent all of the Native American tribes on the same issue in the US. 

So all the leftist greenies are going to the national parks and throwing their garbage all over the place, making a mess of the facilities and generally NOT being good guardians of the environment.

Maybe it is a plot to try and demonstrate just how essential non-essential government employees are.

8 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

So all the leftist greenies are going to the national parks and throwing their garbage all over the place, making a mess of the facilities and generally NOT being good guardians of the environment.

Maybe it is a plot to try and demonstrate just how essential non-essential government employees are.

If it were Republicans, maybe. But libby-rull greenies aren't that well organized

-DSK

So record numbers of TSA worker are calling in sick and the problem is growing.  Sounds like a troubling trend as it regards passenger safety doesn’t it?

well that crazy ass bitch Sec of DHS denies that’s even happening

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6560217/Homeland-Security-DENIES-hundreds-TSA-workers-calling-sick-amid-shutdown-despite-union-claim.html

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

So record numbers of TSA worker are calling in sick and the problem is growing.  Sounds like a troubling trend as it regards passenger safety doesn’t it?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6560217/Homeland-Security-DENIES-hundreds-TSA-workers-calling-sick-amid-shutdown-despite-union-claim.html

OH NO..

You know, many years ago..about 1986..I was at Athens airport trying to board a flight to Santorini.

In those days strikes were illegal in greece.

Announcement.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THERE WILL BE NO FLIGHT TO SANTORINI THIS MORNING BECAUSE ALL OUR AIR HOSTESSES ARE SICK!!

Greeks broke into tumultuous applause :D

57 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Lovely!! Supposed to go from BDL to CHS on Tuesday afternoon, 1/22.  And again from PVD to CHS for 4 days next month.  Bad enough that the weather might fuck us over, but TSA to boot???  WTF!

5 hours ago, BillDBastard said:

Republicans don’t go to parks?

Nancy’s on it -

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—In a bold gambit to end the government shutdown, the House Speaker, Nancy Pelosi, said on Saturday that she would bypass Donald J. Trump and negotiate directly with the Russian President, Vladimir Putin.

“I owe it to the American people to bring this shutdown to the swiftest possible conclusion, and so I’m avoiding the middleman,” she said.

Pelosi, who is scheduled to board a plane to Moscow Saturday night, said that she had not informed Trump of her plans to deal directly with Putin. “Whatever,” she said.

In an official statement, Putin said that he welcomed Pelosi’s overture and shared her desire to end the shutdown. “At some point, I’d like to visit Yellowstone,” he said.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/pelosi-says-she-will-skip-trump-and-negotiate-directly-with-putin-shutdown

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

OH NO..

You know, many years ago..about 1986..I was at Athens airport trying to board a flight to Santorini.

Announcement.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THERE WILL BE NO FLIGHT TO SANTORINI THIS MORNING BECAUSE ALL OUR AIR HOSTESSES ARE SICK!!

There's an airport on Santorini now?...... Wow...... Last time I was there you had to walk up something like 1,234 steps from the port to get to the town.... Or maybe it was 2,345 steps. I know there were donkeys available for hire, but apparently we decided to walk....

1 hour ago, Raz'r said:
7 hours ago, BillDBastard said:

Republicans don’t go to parks?

Volunteers are going to the parks and cleaning up the trash left by visitors.

I bet Bill thinks those who are doing that aren't "leftist greenies".

7 hours ago, BillDBastard said:

nah, it's rightie trash that does it. like the dumbass trailer trash snowmobilers.

maybe your dumbass should visit a national park? Or just spew from your keyboard.

You know who's non-essential bill? YOu. And the rest of the selfish libertarian trash like you. You want out? Fucking leave. There's shitholes you can bless with your presence now that you got yours from the hard work and support of those before - so fuck you, and fuck off.

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

There's an airport on Santorini now?...... Wow...... Last time I was there you had to walk up something like 1,234 steps from the port to get to the town.... Or maybe it was 2,345 steps. I know there were donkeys available for hire, but apparently we decided to walk....

Junta built it sometime in the 70's  think..we were forbidden to photograph ..shared Military and civilian facility back then.

25 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

why would he think that..if people are dumb enough to volunteer to pick up other peoples trash...let them..

It's how exploitation works..exploit the feel good factor.

Can't be bothered using purple.

4 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Every park, every hike I leave with all the trash I came with and extras. It's why I'm a horrible POS greenie.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Every park, every hike I leave with all the trash I came with and extras. It's why I'm a horrible POS greenie.

You clearly suck. Think how we could make the parks look like shit, and useless for recreation, so companies could come in to remove the trees/water/resources. You clearly aren’t an Amerikan.

21 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

You clearly suck. Think how we could make the parks look like shit, and useless for recreation, so companies could come in to remove the trees/water/resources. You clearly aren’t an Amerikan.

This kind of thing is not helping get those forests raked.

kUuht00m_bigger.jpg

Mexico is paying for the Wall through the new USMCA Trade Deal. Much of the Wall has already been fully renovated or built. We have done a lot of work. $5.6 Billion Dollars that House has approved is very little in comparison to the benefits of National Security. Quick payback!

Does this mean the governent shutdown is just fake news?    Donald Trump says Donald Trump had already won even before the shutdown.   

4 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Junta built it sometime in the 70's  think..we were forbidden to photograph ..shared Military and civilian facility back then.

Huh?..... I was there in 73 and there was talk of putting in another port area down island, but no airport that I knew of..... And that was in the Papadopoulos era.... Scary even flying out of Athens at the time..... And we had friends who were "connected"...... So much for that. On the other hand, A Boeing 727* with 30 flight attendants, and 17 passengers didn't suck. Until we had to stop in Rome for 7 hours because we took off with no working lights and only 3 hours of fuel, as we were chased down the runway by armored vehicles that thankfully didn't shoot us out of the  sky....

That truly was one of the more eventful vacations my parents took my sister and me on......

* I was wrong. It was actually a DC L-1011..... Huge fucking airplane.

2 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Huh?..... I was there in 73 and there was talk of putting in another port area down island, but no airport that I knew of..... And that was in the Papadopoulos era.... Scary even flying out of Athens at the time..... And we had friends who were "connected"...... So much for that. On the other hand, A Boeing 727* with 30 flight attendants, and 17 passengers didn't suck. Until we had to stop in Rome for 7 hours because we took off with no working lights and only 3 hours of fuel, as we were chased down the runway by armored vehicles that thankfully didn't shoot us out of the  sky....

That truly was one of the more eventful vacations my parents took my sister and me on......

* I was wrong. It was actually a DC L-1011..... Huge fucking airplane.

1972..probably only military in those days.

Did you ever wonder why everyone clapped (or booed) on landing :D

First time I went to Santorini, suddenly the cabin crew starteb grabbing all the meals.plane took a sudden drop felt like 10'000' Pilots could't be bothered flying around the caldera, just flew over the top and dropped :D

Things havent changed much on small plane island hops, some of those runways in valleys are hairy

21 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

OH NO..

Announcement.

It’s hard to tell the difference between them working/striking or being sick....about the same level of efficiency. 

Unless of course you have some US$, then things mysteriously work all of a sudden. 

The “empathizer-in-chief” can relate. Those lazy workers just need to adjust:

Trump said, however, that he expected "very serious talks" early this week and that he "can relate" to federal workers affected by the shutdown. 
"I am sure that the people that are on the receiving end will make adjustment, they always do," Trump said.

14 hours ago, Lark said:
kUuht00m_bigger.jpg

Mexico is paying for the Wall through the new USMCA Trade Deal. Much of the Wall has already been fully renovated or built. We have done a lot of work. $5.6 Billion Dollars that House has approved is very little in comparison to the benefits of National Security. Quick payback!

Does this mean the governent shutdown is just fake news?    Donald Trump says Donald Trump had already won even before the shutdown.   

Actually....I was reading a couple of articles regarding the costs of illegal immigration. In these articles the amount of tax revenues collect from those in the US illegally was 19 billion dollars, federal, state and local combined. The cost of illegal immigrants for social services was 135 billion dollars, federal, state and local combined. 

Also of interest was that those born in the US who collect some form of public assistance was 35% of that population. While those born outside the US but are here legally (green card) naturalized, or illegally collect some form of public assistance was 55%. And those here illegally collection public assistance runs 63%

So the reality is that preventing illegal entry and overstay would actually pay for itself and by a very wide margin.

numbers-welfare-18-f1.jpg

numbers-welfare-18-f2.jpg

Cite CIS.org

17 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

Actually....I was reading a couple of articles regarding the costs of illegal immigration. In these articles the amount of tax revenues collect from those in the US illegally was 19 billion dollars, federal, state and local combined. The cost of illegal immigrants for social services was 135 billion dollars, federal, state and local combined. 

Also of interest was that those born in the US who collect some form of public assistance was 35% of that population. While those born outside the US but are here legally (green card) naturalized, or illegally collect some form of public assistance was 55%. And those here illegally collection public assistance runs 63%

So the reality is that preventing illegal entry and overstay would actually pay for itself and by a very wide margin.

Cite CIS.org

This CIS.org?   https://cis.org/Publications.    They hardly look unbiased.    Do you have a source that looks less likely to promote alternate facts?    I’ve never  suggested open boarders or benefits to those who are not supposed to be here, younintroduced the concept.    But here is the official statement of the Republican government that appears to be the basis of the CIS charts.   The website still works.

GAO found that: (1) illegal aliens in the United States generate more in costs than revenues to federal, state, and local governments combined; (2) estimates of the national net cost of illegal aliens vary greatly, ranging from $2 billion to $19 billion; (3) a great deal of uncertainty remains about the national fiscal impact of illegal aliens, because little data exists on illegal aliens' use of public services and tax payments; (4) displacement costs and revenue estimates account for much of the variation in the estimates of the national net costs of illegal aliens; (5) the estimates are difficult to assess because the studies do not always clearly explain the criteria used to determine which costs and revenues are appropriate to include in the estimates; and (6) the cost estimates could be improved by recognizing the difficulties inherent in collecting data on a hidden population, focusing on key characteristics of illegal aliens, and explaining more clearly which costs and revenues are appropriate to include in such estimates.

If you want to debate a rational system, start here,    https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2017/02/08/514152963/episode-436-if-economists-controlled-the-borders

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

Cite CIS.org

Yep, and we do a pretty good job of keeping the border secure. So what’s your point?

53 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

Cite CIS.org

wow - a rightwing anti-immigration groups produces a bullshit report with bad data? jeebus, even the welfare haters at the Cato institute say it sucks:

https://www.cato.org/blog/center-immigration-studies-exaggerates-immigrant-welfare-use

that's your usual quality of evidence though. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

wow - a rightwing anti-immigration groups produces a bullshit report with bad data?

https://www.cato.org/blog/center-immigration-studies-exaggerates-immigrant-welfare-use

that's your usual quality of evidence though.

I love the part that even IF his data was true, it doesn’t matter for the “Wall” because the new illegal immigration isn’t coming via the southern border. Dog, Bastard, Warbird, even Chessie seem to want to fight the last war. 

26 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

I love the part that even IF his data was true, it doesn’t matter for the “Wall” because the new illegal immigration isn’t coming via the southern border. Dog, Bastard, Warbird, even Chessie seem to want to fight the last war. 

If the libs say its stupid, you've got to build it to defeat the libs. they are all in fighting the current culture war.

21 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Illegals are not on welfare or anything else ;)

The only legitimate cost is schooling of illegal kids.

And that costs less than not schooling them I'd bet.

1 minute ago, Blue Crab said:
24 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

And that costs less than not schooling them I'd bet.

Dang BC you are turning into a real bleeding heart libby-rull lately. Something in your coffee??

-DSK

38 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Dang BC you are turning into a real bleeding heart libby-rull lately. Something in your coffee??

-DSK

Heh. It took 3/4 of a century but I got here as quickly as I could. Rump has shown me the RIGHT. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

You apparently are unfamiliar with the concept and purpose of "anchor babies".

1 hour ago, BillDBastard said:

illegal kids aren't anchor babys, dumbfuck.

The best thing about anchor babys is they have, and deserve all the rights of citizenship a worthless old fool like you does.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BillDBastard said:

You apparently are unfamiliar with the concept and purpose of babies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blue Crab said:
3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Heh. It took 3/4 of a century but I got here as quickly as I could. Rump has shown me the RIGHT. 

Well, it's taken me about that long. I'm still more in disagreement than agreement with a lot of liberal assertions, like "health care is a right." But the ignorant-rightie-asshole brigade has convinced me that there is no way in hell I ever want to be identified as "conservative"

-DSK

Liberal here. I wouldn't say "health care is a right" but then I'd still get to the same place. First, you can't quite fuck things up nearly as badly as private health insurance companies do. So let's take that fecal discharge as a baseline of shit from which things can only improve. Second, when you're talking about public health you really are talking about a public good and private companies just aren't constructed for that. They're constructed to exploit opportunities and as such, I do loves me a good C Corp; I just don't want to be exploited. We have public roads. Whenever I think of private roads, I think of mudfarms in Faulkner's The Reivers which are in fact roads, just purposefully really shitty roads. As my orthopedic surgeon said the purpose of insurance companies is to deny coverage which is kind of like a mud farm. They're just a really shitty approach to health care.

My midkid cured me on healthcare by asking, "will you just have them die on the street?" 

I'm not aware of a good answer.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

My midkid cured me on healthcare by asking, "will you just have them die on the street?" 

I have heard folks say (essentially) “tough shit” to questions like that. 

Same people who infer it is the kid’s fault he was born poor and black. 

Image result for Clayton's the drink you have when you are not having a drink

Australian Slang

'Claytons is the brand name of a non-alcoholic, non-carbonated beverage coloured and packaged to resemble bottled whiskey.'

Promoted as; "The drink you have when you're not having a drink".

It is used to describe something inferior to the real thing.

The Department of Housing and Urban Development sent letters to 1,500 landlords Friday as part of a last-minute effort to prevent the eviction of thousands of tenants. A lot of those tenants live in units covered by a HUD program that many agency officials didn’t realize had expired on Jan. 1 and that they are now unable to renew.

The letters instruct the landlords to use their reserve accounts so that no one is evicted, HUD spokesman Jereon Brown said. He said the budget and contract staff are “scouring for money” to figure out how to fund the contracts on an interim basis.

Treasury Department and Internal Revenue Service officials are trying to determine whether they will be able to pay tax refunds next month, despite the fact that they said last year they would be prohibited from doing so in the event of a government shutdown.

And the National Park Service, under pressure because of deteriorating conditions at some of its most popular parks, authorized tapping entrance fees to pay for trash pickup and other operations that have halted as a result of the shutdown — a move some critics said may be illegal.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/as-shutdown-drags-on-trump-officials-seek-novel-ways-to-cope-with-its-impacts/2019/01/06/96c54a50-11ee-11e9-90a8-136fa44b80ba_story.html?utm_term=.264a0e3e76f3

Let's see if Trump can take America back to 1953 in one fell swoop. Vladimir must be so proud.

15 hours ago, Bus Driver said:
16 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

I have heard folks say (essentially) “tough shit” to questions like that. 

Same people who infer it is the kid’s fault he was born poor and black. 

Health care and education are both examples of a public benefit; everybody including the upper 0.1% benefit when the great majority of people are healthy and educated. Therefor it is worth some level of public expenditure on health care for all/any, education for all, etc etc.

This is different from it being a "right," it's a luxury of living in a prosperous country.

The argument comes in from the right with "no, it's a total waste to steal money and spend it on health care, or education, for poor people who should be motivated to do better" and then slides leftward toward, "Well, yes we should spend -some- money on that but YOU irresponsible jerks want to spend too much." But it's true that the level of spending (just like the level of spending on military) should be settled by concensus among as many citizens as can be reached..... that's the whole point of democracy. You get a say, but you don't usually get your way.

-DSK

34 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Health care and education are both examples of a public benefit; everybody including the upper 0.1% benefit when the great majority of people are healthy and educated. Therefor it is worth some level of public expenditure on health care for all/any, education for all, etc etc.

This is different from it being a "right," it's a luxury of living in a prosperous country.

The argument comes in from the right with "no, it's a total waste to steal money and spend it on health care, or education, for poor people who should be motivated to do better" and then slides leftward toward, "Well, yes we should spend -some- money on that but YOU irresponsible jerks want to spend too much." But it's true that the level of spending (just like the level of spending on military) should be settled by concensus among as many citizens as can be reached..... that's the whole point of democracy. You get a say, but you don't usually get your way.

-DSK

Actually, educated poor people are a real threat to the wealthiest.....

"don't vote for that nigger"

Thanks Snoop

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Actually, educated poor people are a real threat to the wealthiest.....

Maybe they would be but under our system we have very few educated poor. Lotsa poor tho. Way too many.

2 hours ago, Mid said:

does the me poop in the woods..............

Looks like repub resolve is crumbling. Word is bills are being advanced to open non DHS agencies right now.

2 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Looks like repub resolve is crumbling. Word is bills are being advanced to open non DHS agencies right now.

And the WH just said he’ll veto them (bipartisan).

He’s going to lose bigly. In the meantime

”the floggings will continue until moral improves”.

5 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

And the WH just said he’ll veto them (bipartisan).

He’s going to lose bigly. In the meantime

”the flogging will continue until moral improves”.

Morale. Trump has no morals.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Morale. Trump has no morals.

Thank you.

Have you flogged your crew today?

Pelosi should send a bill to open the govt every day increasing money for border security each time but nothing for the wall. Just ratchet things up.  Need a million person march against Trump as well.

https://twitter.com/DanLamothe/status/1083100523925065728

On 12/16/2018 at 12:18 PM, Lark said:

Sept. 14, 2015

So, let’s say it costs $4 or $5 billion. Our trade deficit with Mexico is $53 billion. So $4 or $5 billion is peanuts.” — Speech in Dallas

“We funded the initial down payment of $1.6 billion," Trump said March 23 after signing an omnibus spending bill into law.

Such children.   It’s already a third paid for.   Let Trump have his last three billion.   The little rich boy can play with his legos and the country can worry about grown up stuff.    Problem solved.    Just don’t fund any cost overruns.   Trump’s initial estimate is only equal to three days of the Bush wars, and likely less then the $6 billion a week government shutdown will cost.   

Giving Trump his wall will then legitimize him holding the government hostage over anything he chooses going forward.

37 minutes ago, BrickTopHarry said:

https://twitter.com/DanLamothe/status/1083100523925065728

Giving Trump his wall will then legitimize him holding the government hostage over anything he chooses going forward.

I've come around to that point of view over the last month.    

Not exactly increasing the pressure on Pelosi

More Americans blame Trump for the government shutdown

Percentage of respondents who most blame President Trump for the partial government shutdown

FIRST POLL MOST RECENT POLL  
POLLSTER END DATE BLAME TRUMP END DATE BLAME TRUMP CHANGE
YouGov Dec. 25 46% Jan. 8 50% +4
Reuters/Ipsos Dec. 25 47 Jan. 7 51 +4
Morning Consult Dec. 23 43 Jan. 6 47

+4

Blame against Democrats hasn’t changed much

Percentage of respondents who most blame congressional Democrats for the partial government shutdown

POLLSTER END DATE BLAME DEMOCRATS END DATE BLAME DEMOCRATS CHANGE
YouGov Dec. 25 35% Jan. 8 32% -3
Reuters/Ipsos Dec. 25 33 Jan. 7 32 -1
Morning Consult Dec. 23 31 Jan. 6 33 +2

"...for now the shutdown appears to be hurting Trump. His job approval rating has edged down in the past three weeks — a trend that lines up almost perfectly on the calendar with the shutdown."

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-has-lost-ground-in-the-shutdown-blame-game/

1 minute ago, learningJ24 said:

Percentage of respondents who most blame President Trump for the partial government shutdown

+4

Percentage of respondents who most blame congressional Democrats for the partial government shutdown

"...for now the shutdown appears to be hurting Trump. His job approval rating has edged down in the past three weeks — a trend that lines up almost perfectly on the calendar with the shutdown."

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-has-lost-ground-in-the-shutdown-blame-game/

So, basically, Dems and Independents blame Trump, the Reich blame Dems.

Since those that voted for Trump were a minority to begin with and they've been dying at a higher rate than Dems and Independents, this isn't boding well for Don and Mitch. That is IF they are concerned about the majority of Americans.

What's up with the Reich use? Are you and AJ brothers or is "Reich" the new "elk"?

16 minutes ago, learningJ24 said:

Since those that voted for Trump were a minority to begin with and they've been dying at a higher rate than Dems and Independents, this isn't boding well for Don and Mitch. That is IF they are concerned about the majority of Americans.

What's up with the Reich use? Are you and AJ brothers or is "Reich" the new "elk"?

In my use, Reich = TrumpTards

I saw this piece on NPR...

"The federal government is also the largest customer of DC Water — and it told the utility company it wouldn't be paying $5 million of its quarterly bill during the shutdown. The DC Water board members joked about how to handle this big unpaid bill, perhaps by turning off the water at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave."

I think they should do it. 

Dolt 45 sitting on the pot and tweeting, then woops, no flush!

17 hours ago, learningJ24 said:

+4

Between President Trump and the Democrats, which one pledged to shutdown the government and promised to accept responsibility/not blame the other?