Jubblies

Calling all S2 9.1 Owners

I am a 9.1 owner that happens to also be a pretty well established web developer. I think reinventing the class association along with some coordinated events would not be out of the realm of possibility if enough people wanted to get involved. 

www.s291.com was last updated on April 19, 2007. I would have to imagine there are a lot of active 9.1s out there, so here are my questions to you...

Is it worth re-organizing a class association and at the bare minimum a new website for owners?

Does anyone know the current domain owner?

• Like 1

Scott still has his s291 at Muskegon Yacht Club and posts once in a long while here (I don't remember his ID).  There's a thread in the Sailing Anarchy Forum titled 'West Michigan Thread', post on that thread that you want Scott to get in touch with you.  I'm sure you'll be successful.  

yesss yesss yesss

S2 9.1 Ripple

Thanks for your help on this. I'll reach out to Scott here in the next week and give an update here. On our little neck of the woods on Lake Erie, there are at least three 9.1s actively racing. Not sure off how many, but there are  a few up in Lake St. Clair and Lake Huron and over in Lake Michingan. I am sure there are quite a few scattered around the country too.

I agree that loosing this content in the future would really suck for any of us still trucking our 9.1s around the race course, I also think the racing and social aspects are important. These are god-damned good boats, so I am really focused on getting the boats together on a more regulat basis. Several years back when there was a class at Bay View YC OD, we had a blast and I think a more renewed and organized effort would invite some fun events.

• Like 1

It should go without saying that having an active class web page 

helps to bolster the resale value of your boats . . 

It's well worth 15 or 20 minutes a month of your time to keep the page active. 

And it's kinda fun too !!

I can reach out to Scott.  The post with all the info should really be deleted. 

On 12/23/2018 at 12:59 PM, Jubblies said:

Thanks for your help on this. I'll reach out to Scott here in the next week and give an update here. On our little neck of the woods on Lake Erie, there are at least three 9.1s actively racing. Not sure off how many, but there are  a few up in Lake St. Clair and Lake Huron and over in Lake Michingan. I am sure there are quite a few scattered around the country too.

I agree that loosing this content in the future would really suck for any of us still trucking our 9.1s around the race course, I also think the racing and social aspects are important. These are god-damned good boats, so I am really focused on getting the boats together on a more regulat basis. Several years back when there was a class at Bay View YC OD, we had a blast and I think a more renewed and organized effort would invite some fun events.

Just sent you a private message here on SA. Give me a call to chat more.

Where do you sail out of, we have two 9.1s that actively race out of North Cape Yacht Club and I think that someone just bought one at Monroe Boat Club to race.

1 hour ago, Joelark81 said:

Where do you sail out of, we have two 9.1s that actively race out of North Cape Yacht Club and I think that someone just bought one at Monroe Boat Club to race.

I am part of Scoop out of PCYC. I'm sure we know each other

Not sure if it helps but we have 4 of them at Davis Island in Tampa and they race in our Thursday nights, a couple do the other regatta's on the bay. 

Privateer, Dr. Bligh (formerly LeGal), Meltemi, and Bay Wolf. Bay Wolf went through a rehab but has not been active much lately.

Just an update here. I had a great and at length (3 hours) conversation with Scott last night. We agreed to go forward with redesigning the site. I think we both came to the same conclusion on some pretty important things...

1. Surveyors and insurance companies tend to frown on a 30-40 year old boat that has no documentation or rescource for repairing and maintaining the boats. As a result, having an updated and active digest of this adds resale value to the boats.
  2. The site still sees traffic which means a lot of content is still relavent to current and new owners.
  3. Based on the volume of emails, phone calls, and on the dock conversations Scott has had over recent years, there is a pretty strong indication that there is still a lot of actvity around our boats.

With that being said, our focus is going to be

1. Use a platform that is somewhat future proof. I think Wordpress will be best for this, but that is more technical stuff that most don't even want to know about! Having it on a platform that is more modern will make updating a lot easier.
  2. There is a wealth of information about the boat in the old forums. We want to try to migrate this into more organized digest or library.
  3. When the time comes, we are going to be looking for some point people to take on the role as points of contact for the given regions where there are still clusters of boats, ie Lake Michigan, Lake Erie, Tampa, etc.. rather than class officers.
  4. We are going to attempt to use the database to track down where all the boats are. Obvioulsy some of this will be outdated, but it's a strat.
  5. Last but not least, we are going to move all the socail dialog off the site and pass it over into other social media channels. This make sense for trying to organize events, handling questions, and general chit chat.

We'll keep you all up to date here as we get more progress.

Cheers!

• Like 3

Jubblies,

I just happened upon this thread and am glad to see the old site is being saved and curated for further use.  It has been quite helpful with the restoration  of my 9.1 that I bought in August 2017 (replaced two rods, some of the shroud fittings on the mast, replaced mast step, recored deck around chainstays and port side of cockpit, just to name a few). 

I'd be happy to help in any way I can.  My 9.1 has a wheel fitted to it, which might be of interest to anyone looking to emphasize the cruiser aspect of racer/cruiser, and I have loads of photos from the mast step and deck repair (I did the deck from underneath to preserve all the non-skid).

Best,

Andy

Lanakila  USA 61192

Jackson Park Yacht Club, Chicago, IL

On 12/27/2018 at 11:15 AM, Jubblies said:

Just an update here. I had a great and at length (3 hours) conversation with Scott last night. We agreed to go forward with redesigning the site. I think we both came to the same conclusion on some pretty important things...

1. Surveyors and insurance companies tend to frown on a 30-40 year old boat that has no documentation or rescource for repairing and maintaining the boats. As a result, having an updated and active digest of this adds resale value to the boats.
  2. The site still sees traffic which means a lot of content is still relavent to current and new owners.
  3. Based on the volume of emails, phone calls, and on the dock conversations Scott has had over recent years, there is a pretty strong indication that there is still a lot of actvity around our boats.

With that being said, our focus is going to be

1. Use a platform that is somewhat future proof. I think Wordpress will be best for this, but that is more technical stuff that most don't even want to know about! Having it on a platform that is more modern will make updating a lot easier.
  2. There is a wealth of information about the boat in the old forums. We want to try to migrate this into more organized digest or library.
  3. When the time comes, we are going to be looking for some point people to take on the role as points of contact for the given regions where there are still clusters of boats, ie Lake Michigan, Lake Erie, Tampa, etc.. rather than class officers.
  4. We are going to attempt to use the database to track down where all the boats are. Obvioulsy some of this will be outdated, but it's a strat.
  5. Last but not least, we are going to move all the socail dialog off the site and pass it over into other social media channels. This make sense for trying to organize events, handling questions, and general chit chat.

We'll keep you all up to date here as we get more progress.

Cheers!

Joomla is a good CRM. Have you looked at it before?
https://www.joomla.org/