stanlutz

Coach boat cut up ceremony

I have an ancient 18' off-brand old whaler type, center console, coach boat that we are going to cut up & dumpster. The foam core is soaked, horrible historical repair jobs and delaminated through out.  The boat is named Dodo and was used many years as a college launch/coach boat.  It's a late 60's. At least that's what the registration says. She doesn't owe anybody anything. I just can't begin the sawzsall cutting without some sort of words or a short ceremony. Besides of a giant burning, funeral, fiberglass effigy, anybody have any sayings to the gods I can use?

30 minutes ago, OutofOffice said:

"Like the real Dodo, your time has expired too."

And here endeth the thread!

Having run a beat-up Whaler on the Charles River as a sailing club/team all-purpose boat long long ago, I'm all teared up.  How about:

"Dear Sailing Gods,

Thank you for your generosity in giving us this Dodo for the past half-century.  She has served thousands of sailors and racers well, with no thought of reward.  In fact, some used to laugh and call her names  [ "Dodo!  Off-brand Whaler!  Giant foam sponge! ], and never let her join in any cool committee-boat games!  But then one foggy Christmas eve, alumni came to say, "Dodo with your port running light so bright, won't you guide all the mark-set boats tonight??"

It was her last wish to be cremated, but we couldn't get her to light, just melted, and it smelled awful.  So we have cut her into respectful pieces, and now send her back to you.  May she rest in, uh, Pieces" 

Up into the 1950's old retired ships were burnt to the water line 

38427925_1731396796956337_657713845552283648_n.jpg.c8c4ec33c235cbd9ed554e6253bc049b.jpg

you have time to take two more coach boats and get rid of them for me please??   ;-)

just pray to the god of tyvek.

Get the kids involved. Make it a Christmas party thing, you know, like toilet papering the principals house. 

• Like 1

I really want to have some sort of fire but alas... I'll get some before & after pics. Praying to the gods of Tyvek, respirator and sharp blades.

17 minutes ago, stanlutz said:

I really want to have some sort of fire but alas... I'll get some before & after pics. Praying to the gods of Tyvek, respirator and sharp blades.

My dad learned the hard way that burning fiberglass boats is frowned upon. Of course he lit his just off the highway, full of trash...'cause that's just the kind of classy man he was. Fire Department used it as a training exercise and put it out half burned. I laughed my ass off when I got the phone call from him ranting and raving.

I would pass on burning it, especially if you can't get a proper fire hot enough with enough ventilation.

35 minutes ago, OutofOffice said:
1 hour ago, stanlutz said:

My dad learned the hard way that burning fiberglass boats is frowned upon. Of course he lit his just off the highway, full of trash...'cause that's just the kind of classy man he was. Fire Department used it as a training exercise and put it out half burned. I laughed my ass off when I got the phone call from him ranting and raving.

I would pass on burning it, especially if you can't get a proper fire hot enough with enough ventilation.

I was going to suggest some kind of ceremony involving rum.... but then you can't get the kids as involved..... burning fiberglass ditto, don't want the little darlings exposed to toxic fumes.....

OTOH rum burns pretty hot, maybe both ideas together....

FB- Doug

How about a fundraiser.... 

Get a sledgehammer, and charge $1 per whack.  

Let everyone who's ever been tormented by the coaches get it out of their system.

• Like 1