dg_sailingfan

Stars & Stripes Team USA confirmed as 5th Challenger

Co-founded by professional American sailors Mike Buckley and Taylor Canfield, the team represents the first all-American team in over fifteen years to compete for the oldest trophy in international sport.

“Our goal is to win the America’s Cup by building an inclusive and authentic, American team that reignites the passion for sailing in this country,”

Wasting no time, Stars & Stripes Team USA has already started building their AC75 race yacht in Michigan, a build process that has been accelerated by a design and technology package purchased from Emirates Team New Zealand.

An all American effort that has purchased a design package from ETNZ? Oh yeah okay, no irony in that. Best of luck to them.

• Like 3

Well hopefully they will not end up also buying the rest of the sailing team from NZ and/or Australia  :)

3 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Well hopefully they will not end up also buying the rest of the sailing team from NZ and/or Australia  :)

Don't hold your breath......

11 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

Arms folded, scowling faces...the Officially Licensed Pose of AC36.  

Challenging for the AC is a serious business.......Still, posing like clowns would be a lot more interesting....and funny......

6 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Don't hold your breath......

Hey, I'd settle for an American team from The Americas eg North, Central, South America. ;)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Nah, Taylor Canfield will keep that promise that Stars & Stripes Team USA will be All-American.

The fact that their AC 75 is already under construction looks to me that the NZ Journalist Hack Richard Gladwell has been misinformed and all Teams will sail in Cagliari in Oct. 2019 :)

I like this Challenge already.

Any idea how much the design package goes for? Still, I’m a fan of one-boat teams piggibacking on larger teams and borrowing their boat 1 molds

8 minutes ago, Xlot said:

Any idea how much the design package goes for?

It depends on which package you opt for. The budget package comes without foils. The basic package come with one foil - your choice port or starboard. The premium pack comes with two foils.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

you would scowl too if all your hair was on your face and not your head

The America's Cup for New Zealand just simply wouldn't be what it is without that marvelous theatre that occurred in the eighties and nineties with Dennis Connor.  In New Zealand, he's the villian we'd all love to have round for a beer any day of the week!  Glad he's back in the game even if just in name.

• Like 1

Interesting Article by the NZ Herald

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12175982

Long Beach is apparently in very advanced talks to host an America's Cup World Series Event in August 2020.

Long Beach ain't that far away from New Zealand. From a Logistics Standpoint that would be very plausible.

So, not only got Canfield/Buckley their Team into the mix of things. They also might get an ACWS Event.

• Like 1

https://www.sail-world.com/news/213027/Second-Americas-Cup-Challenge-has-AC75-in-build

America's Cup: New Challenger from home of Matchracing

The second US team now accepted as a Challenger for the America's Cup has been working on a challenge for over a year - predating Emirates Team New Zealand's win in Bermuda on June 26, 2017.

Two US teams to pull for is a pleasant surprise.

Name choice is very interesting.  I wonder how DC factors into things.

WetHog  :ph34r:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Found another interesting member of SSUSA:

Other notable heavyweights in the front office include COO Tod Reynolds, a native of Chicago and the managing director of the Louis Vuitton America’s Cup World Series Chicago event in 2016 and General Counsel Melinda Erkelens of San Francisco, an industry veteran who has participated in five America’s Cup campaigns, winning in 2010 with BMW Oracle Racing.

3 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Interesting Article by the NZ Herald

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12175982

Long Beach is apparently in very advanced talks to host an America's Cup World Series Event in August 2020.

Long Beach ain't that far away from New Zealand. From a Logistics Standpoint that would be very plausible.

So, not only got Canfield/Buckley their Team into the mix of things. They also might get an ACWS Event.

This NZ Herald piece has its origins with AP.  I traced it back to Bernie Wilson, AP's veteran sports writer and America's Cup expert based in San Diego and well-connected to Dennis Conner and others in sailing. 

If Bernie reports the likelihood of an ACWS event you can pretty much take it that negotiations are well underway.  Good news.

And pretty pathetic that the best the Herald can manage is a pickup of an unsigned piece AP, even if it is authoritative!

14 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

If Bernie reports the likelihood of an ACWS event you can pretty much take it that negotiations are well underway.  Good news.

At a reported 5M venue fee? Newport I believe, Long Beach not so much

3 hours ago, WetHog said:

Two US teams to pull for is a pleasant surprise.

Keep it in your pants Hog, it's not really a Grindr ad......

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Xlot said:

At a reported 5M venue fee? Newport I believe, Long Beach not so much

Maybe it's a bit biased from me BUT from a logistical Point of View Long Beach would be the better Option especially if it's like the Article is claiming in August 2020. Christmas Race starts Dec. 10th 2020 in Auckland. Plenty of time to put these Boats on a Container Ship and move them to Auck after the Event. If it's Newport it will almost certainly have to be in the 1st Half of 2020.

Maybe both Cities, Newport & Long Beach get a ACWS Event especially if there is no Asian Challenger (China/Japan)?

Fantastic outcome for the AC36 for 2 big reasons. One is another challenger which is always great news, secondly being an All American Team means they will get so much support from the USA, it's people and supporters. It may ignite some serious passion for the team and the sport? Looking forward to hearing more about the team as I know nothing

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Fantastic outcome for the AC36 for 2 big reasons. One is another challenger which is always great news, secondly being an All American Team means they will get so much support from the USA, it's people and supporters. It may ignite some serious passion for the team and the sport? Looking forward to hearing more about the team as I know nothing

Serious passion usually turns up when you have won a few races.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Terry Hollis said:

Serious passion usually turns up when you have won a few races.

It will come with the complete American team aspect. As to how well they'll do you'd have to put them at the bottom at this point because of all the usual AC rules in terms of experience and preparation etc. 

13 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

Keep it in your pants Hog, it's not really a Grindr ad......

I don't need to take it out of my pants to pull on it.  ;)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WetHog said:

Name choice is very interesting.  I wonder how DC factors into things.

Scuttlebutt article says the team got permission rom DC to use the name Stars and Stripes and he has a constancy role o sorts with the team.

6 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

Scuttlebutt article says the team got permission rom DC to use the name Stars and Stripes and he has a constancy role o sorts with the team.

I read that as well but is that it?  Its an "All-American" AC team with the name Stars and Stripes.  Seems silly for the team not to find some role for DC moving forward.  

On 12/12/2018 at 4:24 PM, Swimsailor said:

Not new, the grumpies were en vogue already in Bermuda. What happened to a bit of friendliness or - god forbid! - smiles?

Chief designer ? JB?  Congrats to JB...great guy and will be interesting to see the first ever boat he designs after many years as a brilliant sail designer.

Good to see a team get away from the usual list of experienced naval architects and try something a little different 

7 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

His first boat?

It's the first time he is in full charge designing any kind of AC Boat. During AC34 & 35 Braun had only a supporting role within the Design Team.

It's a huge Difference when the entire S&S Operation when it comes to the boat rest on his Shoulders.

1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

It's the first time he is in full charge designing any kind of AC Boat. During AC34 & 35 Braun had only a supporting role within the Design Team.

It's a huge Difference when the entire S&S Operation when it comes to the boat rest on his Shoulders.

The boat is already is being built from the design package purchased from ETNZ.  I'm assuming he is more a design coordinator at this point.  He's not having to come up with anything from scratch.  

^ And they’ve already downgraded from two boats to “one, perhaps two”. Still, I miss Paul Bieker

2 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

A few more details...

https://www.sailingworld.com/stars-stripes-returns-to-americas-cup?src=SOC&dom=fb&fbclid=IwAR3y3mF6mLhF4ihRmTqEpQYhRFbBrVrqDwnV9Ndf-lfYmEzTHe9kwmnMzLQ

I like this team and this effort.  Maybe they'll be setting up base in Wendover, NV.  lol.

Interesting Article...

Do you think Scott Ferguson will join them?

2 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

His first boat?

Yup. He is a very smart sailmaker and developed all kinds of computer programs for designing sails. 

I am pretty sure this will be the first boat he designs.

I was surprised as anyone to see him announced as lead designer for an AC team.  There are a few possible explanations:-

1.  They are not designing a boat. ETNZ is giving them the hull design and JB's team will focus on distinguishing themselves with foils and sails.

2. JB has a reputation as a very good people person. His role is to hire, coordinate and motivate a team of talented designers and the very fact that he is NOT a boat designer will attract talent and allow designers to do their best work without being threatened by a boss who knows better than they do.

3. A combination of above

4. JB has secretly been designing vaporware boats on his computers for years. He showed his work to Taylor....and Taylor went "Hell Yeah, lets build his thing"

I dont think it is #4.

• Like 2

Sailed with Buckley a bunch.  First class guy.  Hope they can get it done.  

Where in Holland would they put this thing together.  Doesn't look like a lot of buildings close to the water that can house a 75 footer

32 minutes ago, IPLore said:

Yup. He is a very smart sailmaker and developed all kinds of computer programs for designing sails. 

I am pretty sure this will be the first boat he designs.

I was surprised as anyone to see him announced as lead designer for an AC team.  There are a few possible explanations:-

1.  They are not designing a boat. ETNZ is giving them the hull design and JB's team will focus on distinguishing themselves with foils and sails.

2. JB has a reputation as a very good people person. His role is to hire, coordinate and motivate a team of talented designers and the very fact that he is NOT a boat designer will attract talent and allow designers to do their best work without being threatened by a boss who knows better than they do.

3. A combination of above

4. JB has secretly been designing vaporware boats on his computers for years. He showed his work to Taylor....and Taylor went "Hell Yeah, lets build his thing"

I dont think it is #4.

Comanche was heavily influenced by JB and his team... IE, the mast certainly wouldn't have ended up as far aft as it did without some pretty serious modeling.

They are certainly leading edge in what they do and have modeled a lot of rigs.

It maybe that on foiling boats with the hull out of the water, the key determinants are going to be rig, foils and sails.....so instead of having a famous hull designer coordinate and lead the team.....think out of the box and have one of the leading designers and modellers of rigs and sails lead the team. 

With a limited budget, the "think lean and innovative" approach might be the way to go. It certainly worked for ETNZ last time around.

It also helps that JB is an incredible sailing talent in his own right.  Taylor knows that if he isnt getting the best out of the boat, his designer is likely to step into the boat and show him how.

I believe the only reason that JB doesnt have an Olympic medal is that we boycotted the Olympics that year.

1 hour ago, Kack said:

Where in Holland would they put this thing together.  Doesn't look like a lot of buildings close to the water that can house a 75 footer

S2/Tiara possibly? I know they started doing contract boatbuilding a few years back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kack said:

I know of a place there that also has the talent. And only a few blocks from the water and 1/2 mile from a boat yard

Seems kind of odd to build in Michigan. There’s plenty of West coast builders. I wonder what the reason is. 

5 hours ago, Swimsailor said:

A few more details...

https://www.sailingworld.com/stars-stripes-returns-to-americas-cup?src=SOC&dom=fb&fbclid=IwAR3y3mF6mLhF4ihRmTqEpQYhRFbBrVrqDwnV9Ndf-lfYmEzTHe9kwmnMzLQ

I like this team and this effort.  Maybe they'll be setting up base in Wendover, NV.  lol.

Interesting article, seems to be plenty of enthusiasm and energy coming from these young blokes. It would be a pity if a lack of funding crippled their effort. 

Just a note on the article. Does anyone proof read these days? Spelling and grammatical errors litter the damn thing.

Here's the rub

So the America's Cup is about technology, sailing ability, teamwork, and resources. So far, what I see from this program, they bought the technology from a foreign team because they didn't have the resources or knowledge of how to put it together themselves. (The funny thing is, their "design" package" will help the challengers on some insights into what the Kiwi's are doing.) 

American Only team? Really? With a Kiwi Design Package. Sorry, copying someone else's homework will not get you an A(merica's Cup.

PS - Love to hear what sponsor or benefactor is making them build the boat in Michigan.

1 hour ago, boyscout said:

5 axis milling with someone who knows how to build grand prix boats keeping weight in mind. 

what is a "grand prix boat"?

4 minutes ago, rh2600 said:

what is a "grand prix boat"?

Tiara powerboats? ;-)

1 hour ago, RCH said:

Here's the rub

So the America's Cup is about technology, sailing ability, teamwork, and resources. So far, what I see from this program, they bought the technology from a foreign team because they didn't have the resources or knowledge of how to put it together themselves. (The funny thing is, their "design" package" will help the challengers on some insights into what the Kiwi's are doing.) 

American Only team? Really? With a Kiwi Design Package. Sorry, copying someone else's homework will not get you an A(merica's Cup.

PS - Love to hear what sponsor or benefactor is making them build the boat in Michigan.

S&S will develop their own foil and sail designs, which is where the boat performance will be determined.

While they may not have any "breakthroughs" in displacement mode, they can still design a competitive foiler.

But, it is still a long shot.

On 12/13/2018 at 11:34 AM, terrafirma said:

. It may ignite some serious passion for the team and the sport? 

Will it? Is there more passion for sailing in the USA today than before Larry won the Cup in the DoG match?  Are club and regatta fleets increasing there?  

12 hours ago, RCH said:

American Only team? Really? With a Kiwi Design Package.

They didn't say it was a kiwi design package, they said that it was supplied by ETNZ.....

DAN BERNASCONI

HEAD OF DESIGN ETNZ

Number of America’s Cup: 5

Dan is an English engineer who holds a PhD in Mathematical Modelling and Aerodynamics, backed up with a Masters from Cambridge University. He worked at McLaren Formula 1 for six years, leading their Vehicle Modelling team, before swapping fast cars for fast boats

AFAIK, Stars and Stripes are the only team where the head of design is a national of a team's nation of record.

15 hours ago, boyscout said:

I know of a place there that also has the talent. And only a few blocks from the water and 1/2 mile from a boat yard

Composite Builders?

16 hours ago, Monkey said:

Seems kind of odd to build in Michigan. There’s plenty of West coast builders. I wonder what the reason is. 

There is a Midwest component to this campaign, oh and please do not discount the Great Lakes and maritime heritage, it has made many a salty weep with awe when they finally get to sail on her waters. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 12345 said:

There is a Midwest component to this campaign, oh and please do not discount the Great Lakes and maritime heritage, it has made many a salty weep with awe when they finally get to sail on her waters. 

It’d be hard to discount the Great Lakes. I live a block away from Lake Michigan and have been sailing on it for 30 years. 

I was just curious. 

I suspect a number of millionaires.  Popular choice. Heck if they put up a gofundme page they would probably get enough to pay salaries for a few days at least :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

I suspect a number of millionaires.  Popular choice. Heck if they put up a gofundme page they would probably get enough to pay salaries for a few days at least :)

LOL,

I have to say though that this was a good one from you :D I like your humor.

13 hours ago, IPLore said:

They didn't say it was a kiwi design package, they said that it was supplied by ETNZ.....

DAN BERNASCONI

HEAD OF DESIGN ETNZ

Number of America’s Cup: 5

Dan is an English engineer who holds a PhD in Mathematical Modelling and Aerodynamics, backed up with a Masters from Cambridge University. He worked at McLaren Formula 1 for six years, leading their Vehicle Modelling team, before swapping fast cars for fast boats

Are you really that obtuse? F me. If it was provided by the New Zealanders (Kiwis) it is a kiwi design package. ,I can't image the British team would claim this as a British design package. Sounds as All American as Jimmy Spithill

Obtuse.gif

11 hours ago, Kack said:

Composite Builders?

+1

Edited by RCH

51 minutes ago, RCH said:

+1

Guess the funding and design package didn't include a website. 

Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 7.48.46 PM.png

On 12/14/2018 at 12:48 PM, Horn Rock said:

Interesting article, seems to be plenty of enthusiasm and energy coming from these young blokes. It would be a pity if a lack of funding crippled their effort. 

Just a note on the article. Does anyone proof read these days? Spelling and grammatical errors litter the damn thing.

A few minor grammatical mishaps but nowhere near sufficient to spoil my enjoyment of one of the better AC background articles to appear in this Cup cycle. 

I encourage all here to read and make up their own minds:  https://www.sailingworld.com/stars-stripes-returns-to-americas-cup?src=SOC&dom=fb&fbclid=IwAR3y3mF6mLhF4ihRmTqEpQYhRFbBrVrqDwnV9Ndf-lfYmEzTHe9kwmnMzLQ

From an interview or article it sounded like they were buying the Kiwi package to get up and running then design their own boat from what they learned. From the TFE interview today sounds like they have things in order and will announce their full plan, backers, and program in January. Indicated while they want to raise more money that it was not a problem at this time.

1 hour ago, RCH said:

Are you really that obtuse? F me. If it was provided by the New Zealanders (Kiwis) it is a kiwi design package. ,I can't image the British team would claim this as a British design package. Sounds as All American as Jimmy Spithill

You could add that Dan has lived in Auckland since before AC34 and and learnt his boat design skills while working with ETNZ.  He is a fast learner so when ETNZ did not renew Nic Holroyd's contract for AC35 he was able to step into his shoes and working with about 30 people in the design office he hasn't looked back.

24 minutes ago, Terry Hollis said:

You could add that Dan has lived in Auckland since before AC34 and and learnt his boat design skills while working with ETNZ.  He is a fast learner so when ETNZ did not renew Nic Holroyd's contract for AC35 he was able to step into his shoes and working with about 30 people in the design office he hasn't looked back.

^^ If we want to play with perspectives we could also say that TNZ fired the kiwi to learn from a brit ;)

2 hours ago, ~HHN92~ said:

Indicated while they want to raise more money that it was not a problem at this time.

Maybe. On the other hand I've heard much the same, more than once, from organisations that shortly thereafter went tits up owing money. It happens all the time.

The fact that there's no clear announced source of money at this time merits at least a quizzical "hmmmm".

5 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Maybe. On the other hand I've heard much the same, more than once, from organisations that shortly thereafter went tits up owing money. It happens all the time.

The fact that there's no clear announced source of money at this time merits at least a quizzical "hmmmm".

They have plenty of money, primary source is a reasonably well known sailor. Not hard to find out who. 

On 12/13/2018 at 7:09 PM, RCH said:

Here's the rub

When the AC was started, it really was a nationalistic design and build contest. Hasn’t been that way in a long time, and the world has changed a lot in 160+ years. Is Jaguar an English company? Are American cars all built from 100% American parts? Are the Kiwis really an all kiwi team? 

42 minutes ago, sunseeker said:

They have plenty of money, primary source is a reasonably well known sailor. Not hard to find out who. 

If you mean DC, he isn't in the financial league.