dg_sailingfan

Stars & Stripes Team USA confirmed as 5th Challenger

Recommended Posts

Sailing Illustrated Blogger Tom Ehman who lives in San Francisco and is probably more connected to any Sailing Event & Activities on the West Coast of the US doesn't believe what Stars & Stripes have said regarding their Committment to AC36:

But America’s Cup veteran and Sailing Illustrated Editor Tom Ehman doesn't believe they'll make it.

"I tell you what, talk is cheap," Ehman says. "It's going to be a tough road to hoe.. I really do hope they'll make it but it's probably more likely that I will be the next Queen of England."

Some really strong words by Tom indeed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2019 at 2:24 AM, Forourselves said:

They are officially in, for now.  When they splash their AC75, and sail it, I'll be convinced.  Other "entries" have backed out before.  Specifically two COR's.

WetHog  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in the olden syndicate days, did teams announce their backers? If not well ok. If so, weird no happy news about "funding secured."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we know how the "official announcement" of S&S means nothing, excepted for the habitual SA fans, why is GD so adamant at getting it ? the city ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

When we know how the "official announcement" of S&S means nothing, excepted for the habitual SA fans, why is GD so adamant at getting it ? the city ?

I think so. He wants these Bases built at all cost.

While this Announcement by S&S is a step in the right Direction in way I do agree with @WetHog unless they splash an AC75 and start to sail it I am not entirely convinced about their Challenge. Who is going to helm it anyways? Taylor Canfield? He has no experience steering that kind of boat unlike the other Challengers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Forourselves said:

^^As far as payment goes, aren't they paid up already? Even if they aren't, you're not going to get a "Stars n Stripes has paid everything they need to pay" All we're going to get is what we've got. As far as a boat, well, I guess you could say we have no teams in this Americas Cup because no one has built any boats as of today.

 

You and your buddies are not even able to read what is written on the official site or the prot. " They have already paid their initial payment but as a late entry challenger under the Protocol  they also have a liability to pay a US$1million late entry fee due in instalments by 1 October 2019."

As for test boat, all teams excepted for the defender (presumably)  have one now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

You and your buddies are not even able to read what is written on the official site or the prot. " They have already paid their initial payment but as a late entry challenger under the Protocol  they also have a liability to pay a US$1million late entry fee due in instalments by 1 October 2019."

As for test boat, all teams excepted for the defender (presumably)  have one now.

And we won't know a thing about when those instalments are paid until Cagliari, April 2020.

Until then, we know its hard, but try and contain your excitement, as we know you're very much looking forward to the AC75 and ETNZ's defence of the Cup in 2021

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am looking forward to a time when the teams vying to challenge are clear because the fuckers all have actual boats sailing in Prada Cup.  Even better, one will win and race in the Cup.  Until then they can always change shit around and excuse ACWS or deadlines or whatever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I think so. He wants these Bases built at all cost.

While this Announcement by S&S is a step in the right Direction in way I do agree with @WetHog unless they splash an AC75 and start to sail it I am not entirely convinced about their Challenge. Who is going to helm it anyways? Taylor Canfield? He has no experience steering that kind of boat unlike the other Challengers.

In fairness to Taylor Canfield who has experience steering an AC75?  Until one hits the water no one does.

WetHog  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Wait a minute...........

"But America’s Cup veteran and Sailing Illustrated Editor Tom Ehman doesn't believe they'll make it.

'I tell you what, talk is cheap,' Ehman says. 'It's going to be a tough road to hoe. I really do hope they'll make it but it's probably more likely that I will be the next Queen of England.'"

Isn't this the same Tom Ehman that's been hyping and promising the genesis of the "super" 12 meter class to race on San Francisco Bay for the last 10 years or so?

Maybe it should read something like.....

"But Truly Amateur Former Weekend Warrior and Dark n' Stormy Illustrated Editor Blotto Diablo doesn't believe he'll(Tom) make it.

"I tell you what, talk is cheap," Diablo says. "It's going to be a tough ROW(not road) to hoe. I really do hope he makes it but it's probably more likely that I'll be the next Prime Minister of Molvania."

I'm no farmer(and I'm pretty damn sure ol' Tom isn't either, but I'm fairly confident it's "row", not "road". Unless we're stuck in some strange Cool Hand Luke continuum, then all bets are off........hold on, were those shovels or hoes they used in the road re-surfacing scene? Probably shovels, but I digress.......and besides, who gives a fuck?

I think TC is a damned good match racing sailor. If S&S makes it to the game and he's driving, I'll cheer for the guy, even if he has no prior foiling experience and maybe not(like Tom) shit on my own country's efforts to win back the AC. Besides, it's a cheaper plane ticket to SF, or Newport, or wherever the hell the Americans would hold the next fracas if the US won it. 

Has anybody here seen any new "Super Dooper 12's" sailing on the Bay lately?

Yeah, that's what I thought. I haven't, either.

Edit: Perhaps it was a transcription error on the part of the editor of the original article and Tom does indeed possess a green thumb. It's likely we'll never know.

P.S. the car wash scene in Cool Hand still stands the test of time, 5 decades and some change later.

P.P.S  For the record, I loved the 12M era.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny, I was thinking WTF is Ehman up to now?   Slagging on S&S.....weak.

Seen Canfield out foiling with their 45’s (50’s?). And of course also tactician for USA in SailGP series.  He’s working hard.  Solid skipper.

Love the 12’s.    Ehman ought to look to Newport, RI and see how the biz gets done these days with 12’s. He’s off on a weird bender.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2019 at 12:05 PM, NeedAClew said:

Phil Robertson won in Marstrand. Canfield was second.

https://www.sail-world.com/news/219462/WMRT-World-Championship-Final-overall

 

And he didn't even sail under the S&S Team USA colors, that has to tell you something when the co-founder of a team is distancing himself from said team at the Match Race 'Wrold Championships' (That has a webpage that hasn't been updated since 2018).......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^So this must tell you something too since Glenn Ashby wasn't sailing under the ETNZ colors? different events, different teams, different uniforms. Its that simple.

yysw254191.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2019 at 5:25 AM, blunderfull said:

Funny, I was thinking WTF is Ehman up to now?   Slagging on S&S.....weak.

Seen Canfield out foiling with their 45’s (50’s?). And of course also tactician for USA in SailGP series.  He’s working hard.  Solid skipper.

Love the 12’s.    Ehman ought to look to Newport, RI and see how the biz gets done these days with 12’s. He’s off on a weird bender.

LOL,

Tom Ehman from Sailing Illustrated as well as Jack Griffin from CupExperience have been stallwarts when it comes to Cup News and they have been more right then wrong recently.

And both massivly questioning that S&S can make it despite the Committment given by the Long Beach Yacht Club.

There was talk about the Designers & Boatbuilders going back to Holland, Michigan to complete their AC75 Race Boat. Apparently that has been hold off because S&S still hasn't secured a Main Sponsor for their Cup Campaign.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't find the article, but I believe there was one written in 2017- I think the International 12 Meter Association may have pushed back against Ehman in his quest to "modernize" the 12 class and make it "affordable" and helped stomp the brakes on the whole thing. Races were supposed to start happening the same year, maybe this was another nail in the 10 year old coffin?

Don't get me wrong, this is something I think would be cool to watch should it happen, but there was and is a mountain of things apparently holding it back. Also, probably even less realistically, it would be cool to see the 12 meter worlds broadcasted/streamed and expanded if possible. I know everybody's got their favorite class, mine happens to be the 12's, as cumbersome and dinosaurus-like as they may appear. Love those boats, loved the era. DC changed the game starting in the late 70's on how the AC was sailed, for better or for worse. Ted Turner also turned sailing on its ear around the same time. Even though the US lost the Cup in '83, I think '87 was even more exciting with all the new personalities and conflicts that emerged, and the venue as well- Blackaller and DC's rivalry, young gun Chris Dickson, unproven in 12's at the time pushing the game his first time out, big bad Dennis the Menace himself, fiberglass 12's, the Aussies with their generosity and sportsmanship(fans and sailors alike), on and on.....

Anyway, what were we talking about? 

Oh yeah- S&S. Can they show up for the game?

I hope they will. After all, the more the merrier, right?

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, blottodiablo74 said:

Can't find the article, but I believe there was one written in 2017- I think the International 12 Meter Association may have pushed back against Ehman in his quest to "modernize" the 12 class and make it "affordable" and helped stomp the brakes on the whole thing. Races were supposed to start happening the same year, maybe this was another nail in the 10 year old coffin?

Don't get me wrong, this is something I think would be cool to watch should it happen, but there was and is a mountain of things apparently holding it back. Also, probably even less realistically, it would be cool to see the 12 meter worlds broadcasted/streamed and expanded if possible. I know everybody's got their favorite class, mine happens to be the 12's, as cumbersome and dinosaurus-like as they may appear. Love those boats, loved the era. DC changed the game starting in the late 70's on how the AC was sailed, for better or for worse. Ted Turner also turned sailing on its ear around the same time. Even though the US lost the Cup in '83, I think '87 was even more exciting with all the new personalities and conflicts that emerged, and the venue as well- Blackaller and DC's rivalry, young gun Chris Dickson, unproven in 12's at the time pushing the game his first time out, big bad Dennis the Menace himself, fiberglass 12's, the Aussies with their generosity and sportsmanship(fans and sailors alike), on and on.....

Anyway, what were we talking about? 

Oh yeah- S&S. Can they show up for the game?

I hope they will. After all, the more the merrier, right?

 

Well articulated, and I wholeheartedly agree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, blottodiablo74 said:

Can't find the article, but I believe there was one written in 2017- I think the International 12 Meter Association may have pushed back against Ehman in his quest to "modernize" the 12 class and make it "affordable" and helped stomp the brakes on the whole thing. Races were supposed to start happening the same year, maybe this was another nail in the 10 year old coffin?

Don't get me wrong, this is something I think would be cool to watch should it happen, but there was and is a mountain of things apparently holding it back. Also, probably even less realistically, it would be cool to see the 12 meter worlds broadcasted/streamed and expanded if possible. I know everybody's got their favorite class, mine happens to be the 12's, as cumbersome and dinosaurus-like as they may appear. Love those boats, loved the era. DC changed the game starting in the late 70's on how the AC was sailed, for better or for worse. Ted Turner also turned sailing on its ear around the same time. Even though the US lost the Cup in '83, I think '87 was even more exciting with all the new personalities and conflicts that emerged, and the venue as well- Blackaller and DC's rivalry, young gun Chris Dickson, unproven in 12's at the time pushing the game his first time out, big bad Dennis the Menace himself, fiberglass 12's, the Aussies with their generosity and sportsmanship(fans and sailors alike), on and on.....

Anyway, what were we talking about? 

Oh yeah- S&S. Can they show up for the game?

I hope they will. After all, the more the merrier, right?

 

I'd like to see them making it but I'm not sure they well. Call me when they have splashed their Boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I'd like to see them making it but I'm not sure they well. Call me when they have splashed their Boat.

Epstein might be looking for some positive PR round about now  - why not Stars&Stripes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, blottodiablo74 said:

Oh yeah- S&S. Can they show up for the game?

I hope they will. After all, the more the merrier, right?

No one is against virtue, they gained time to participate, good, but do we just have the announcement of a test boat ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, yes, the original ACA troll has seen fit to crawl out from under his bridge.  

We are well and truly blessed.

WetHog  :ph34r:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, WetHog said:

Ah, yes, the original ACA troll has seen fit to crawl out from under his bridge.  

We are well and truly blessed.

WetHog  :ph34r:

Are you still married ... to a female??:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2019 at 4:33 PM, Indio said:

Are you still married ... to a female??:D

Dg/A4E has competition.  Should make the atmosphere in here fantastic. 

WetHog  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Damn I'm not married to a female. 

She that tough on you??B)

 

Seriously though: why shouldn't the fundraisers at any of the struggling syndicates tap out Epstein? It's not as if they need to worry about adverse public reaction - the America's Cup probably has a captive audience of less than 1% of the population - with the exception of island countries like NZ. In the US, the Dotard's base couldn't give a monkey's about yet more "degenerate" conspicuous consumption by the swap-dwellers like Epstein...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have another inspirational photo today. But what do they mean? Are we waiting for the big reveal where they splash a boat as a surprise after no word for months? 

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Canfield talks about his team hitting the water in this one, so they must be on track for April.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see all the teams represented in the same video..without any shit talk. 

Not like the fan club...ha ha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now