Sign in to follow this  
Mrleft8

So.... Tom .22.....

What's the story with your spring being cloudy?..... Test results?

12 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

What's the story with your spring being cloudy?..... Test results?

It's still unknown. The problem existed for several days but seems to have gone away. It's back to normal now.

My neighbor with the fancy test kit could only tell me stuff I kinda already knew: that the dissolved solids are so high that the water should be a solid and that there's no dissolved oxygen in the water that comes from way down there.

He knows a lot about this stuff and thinks it could be related to the dirt mine across the street but could also just be a cave-in down deep in the hole.

I'm starting to think the latter. They're still mining.

A cave in sounds ominous..... Hopefully you don't find one of those bottomless sink holes under your house!

32 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Ground radar??

No, Sir, Colonel potter, Sir... Ground beef..... Just regular Radar.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

A cave in sounds ominous..... Hopefully you don't find one of those bottomless sink holes under your house!

My neighbor says those can't happen here. They happen where there's an acidic swamp above the limestone (or was). That's what eats away large amounts of rock. At least, that's how I understood it. We have only sand on top here, so no sinkholes and he says my pond and spring won't create one.

I hope he's right. It's pretty dramatic when a sinkhole eats a house.

1 hour ago, dogballs Tom said:

My neighbor says those can't happen here. They happen where there's an acidic swamp above the limestone (or was). That's what eats away large amounts of rock. At least, that's how I understood it. We have only sand on top here, so no sinkholes and he says my pond and spring won't create one.

I hope he's right. It's pretty dramatic when a sinkhole eats a house.

LOL!..... I hope you're right! When I asked my realtor, and the seller's realtor about sink holes they both said "It's Florida.... They happen any where there are springs, and you're on top of Otter spring and Fanning spring.... So.... We won't guarantee anything about that!"

3 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Ground radar??

You have to add penetrating between the two words.  Seismic survey would answer the question as well.  Both are not that cheap.  

7 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

LOL!..... I hope you're right! When I asked my realtor, and the seller's realtor about sink holes they both said "It's Florida.... They happen any where there are springs, and you're on top of Otter spring and Fanning spring.... So.... We won't guarantee anything about that!"

I have a friend in Gainesville who has a really cool sinkhole in his yard. Right outside the front door.

It's been there a long time and the experts assure him it's OK.

27 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Doesn't disolved limestone acidify the water?

No............. Lime is the opposite of acidic.... Alkaline.

27 minutes ago, dogballs Tom said:

I have a friend in Gainesville who has a really cool sinkhole in his yard. Right outside the front door.

It's been there a long time and the experts assure him it's OK.

Yeah..... As you're leaving the house after the super bowl....."Watch that third step! It's a doozy!"

Just now, Mrleft8 said:

No............. Lime is the opposite of acidic.... Alkaline.

We have to keep liming our lawn because of the serious acidity from the oak leaves. That, and the lime pit with the burglars and deer in it.

Oh..... Just to keep this in PA..... Clinton's Emails, and Russia.

1 minute ago, Mrleft8 said:

Oh..... Just to keep this in PA..... Clinton's Emails, and Russia.

*unz.

2 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

We have to keep liming our lawn because of the serious acidity from the oak leaves. That, and the lime pit with the burglars and deer in it.

Ummmm..... You know that if you throw the dead burglars, and deer into the Gulf, they eventually end up in shrimp.... Right?

29 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Ummmm..... You know that if you throw the dead burglars, and deer into the Gulf, they eventually end up in shrimp.... Right?

I'm not getting my car dirty.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

We have to keep liming our lawn because of the serious acidity from the oak leaves.

Uh oh. I like oaks and have added hundreds of them.

I hope it takes a long time for them to make a house sized hole.

10 hours ago, dogballs Tom said:

If you grow the Oaks in a ring around your house, you could end up with a moat..... (Another opportunity to build a bridge!)

2 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

If you grow the Oaks in a ring around your house, you could end up with a moat..... (Another opportunity to build a bridge!)

That's already in place, some because I put them there and others because they appeared and I have an inability to kill an oak tree when it appears in an inappropriate place.

Meanwhile, back in the pond, the other thing that I've noticed since the spring was milky was that some of the vegetation in the pond has died back.

Probably unrelated, as it was occurring for months and is only one of many changes in vegetation through the years.

PondSpringDec2018.jpg

Took this today. That sandy bottom has been almost completely choked with growth and more or less clear at various times in the past, but I haven't seen it that clear of growth since the pond was new in the 80's.

15 hours ago, dogballs Tom said:

Just don't let the leaves sit, oak leaves do not break down into compost very well. We inherited a compost pile from the previous owners, and you could count how many years it had been there by the layers of oak leaves in between the layers of dirt. There is now a local government service that comes by and vacuums up piles of leaves that we drag down to the road.

4 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

How deep is that pond, Tom?   

About 8' at the deepest parts.

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Just don't let the leaves sit, oak leaves do not break down into compost very well. We inherited a compost pile from the previous owners, and you could count how many years it had been there by the layers of oak leaves in between the layers of dirt. There is now a local government service that comes by and vacuums up piles of leaves that we drag down to the road.

You're just trying to trick me into raking my forest for the meme aren't you?

2 hours ago, dogballs Tom said:

About 8' at the deepest parts.

You're just trying to trick me into raking my forest for the meme aren't you?

You're welcome to pile your leaves at the foot of our driveway.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

You're welcome to pile your leaves at the foot of our driveway.

It's an amusing thought but no thanks.

I'm laughing thinking about how my neighbors would react if I somehow gathered all my oak leaves into a school bus-sized pile out at the street. And how the waste collection service would react. I think it would involve a thing we call the Baker Act down here.

Oak leaves are why god invented Guinea fowl. Oak leaves attract cockroaches. Guineas love cockroaches....

Now if I could only convince my Guineas that Fire ants were like spicy Mexican food, I'd be set.....