Sign in to follow this  
sailcalifornia

leaking bomar portlights

i have the old style bomar portlights and wondering what others have done.  Does anyone know what gasket type, bomar has not been a lot of help and not sure if i can even replace the gasket.

thanks

jeff

Those units are cranky. Are the dogs adjusted so they are very tight? The current catalog shows several types of gasket material.

These things are total shit. I had one replaced, and it was bad and leaking within a year. They constantly drip onto the cabin cushions in the rain or in splashy weather. I'm getting ready to 5200 the frigging things shut for good.

Crap design holds the water like a little cup against the seal. Why, why, why not overlap the window to the outside of the boat so that the water sheds off rather than gets trapped before leaking into the boat. 

Super fuck these things. Stainless steel bolt in an aluminum frame? White and green fuzz grows on this year round, makes it impossible to tighten sure to corroded threads, even as the gasket slowly gets crushed. Just ordered a compressor dehumidifier off Amazon yesterday, gonna let that fight with the leak.