dg_sailingfan

ACWS Cagliari October 2019

With 2019 now fast approaching I thought to make a Thread about the 1st Event :)

Venue: Cagliari, Sardinia (Italy)

Dates: TBC on or before 31st March 2019

Specific Race Course Area: TBC on or before 31st March 2019

Who is coming?

Emirates Team New Zealand (Defender of the America's Cup)

Luna Rossa Challenge (Challenger of Record)

American Magic (Early Entrant)

INEOS TEAM UK (Early Entrant)

Malta Altus Challenge (Late Entrant/Unconditional Challenge)

Stars & Stripes Team USA (Late Entrant/Unconditional Challenge)

Those are the Teams for now. There could still be some more.

You can also put Maps of the Cagliari Race Village, the Course Area, Spectator Area in here as soon as it's published among other things, etc.

Approaching, and I can see only 2 boats foiling, lack of stability for the brit but they try everything, very good stability for American Magic but conservative sailing.

IMO, advantage for the brit as far as now.

18 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Why before 31. March, please?

The ACWS in Cagliari wasn't supposed to be announced on November 29th like it was. Per Protocol they have to announce the two Events for 2019 "on" or "before" 31st March 2019.

3 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

The ACWS in Cagliari wasn't supposed to be announced on November 29th like it was. Per Protocol they have to announce the two Events for 2019 "on" or "before" 31st March 2019.

Is November 29th 2018 not before 31 March 2019? Last I checked, 2018 came before 2019.

7 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Oh, above it read as if the event has to take place before March 31, 2019. If you mean the announcement, fine, whatever...

2.1. COR shall organise and conduct the preliminary regattas, which are comprised of:
a) possibly an initial one or two events during the second half of 2019 counting towards the America’s Cup World Series regattas (“ACWS”) at venues determined by COR/D and announced on or before 31 March 2019;
b) the ACWS regattas in 2020, which shall comprise three events to take place at venues determined by COR/D announced on or before 30 November 2019;

I don't know how they could conduct preliminary regattas within 6 months with only 2 small boats sailing now, but it's coming anyways as ACWS are for 2020.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

2.1. COR shall organise and conduct the preliminary regattas, which are comprised of:
a) possibly an initial one or two events during the second half of 2019 counting towards the America’s Cup World Series regattas (“ACWS”) at venues determined by COR/D and announced on or before 31 March 2019;
b) the ACWS regattas in 2020, which shall comprise three events to take place at venues determined by COR/D announced on or before 30 November 2019;

I don't know how they could conduct preliminary regattas within 6 months with only 2 small boats sailing now, but it's coming anyways as ACWS are for 2020.

Thanks, I could have looked myself, no? :wub:
So, "second half of 2019" is obviously not "until March 31".

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Why do you say that? The AC 75's will/can be launched on 31st March 2019 or if they delay the launch it will be 30th June 2019. Plenty of time to get them ready to sail in October.

This is per Protocol:

March 31, 2019: 

• Boat 1 can be launched
  • Deadline for COR to announce venues (and dates?) of 2019 ACWS Regattas