DA-WOODY

LOARDY LOARDY LOARDY - SOMEONE HELP ME - I JUST GOT A 27" IMAC

Basically got signed in/up wifi and updates 

Annoying you with this post is the only thing I have figured out so far

spellcheck fucking points out my mistakes but offers co correction that I can see

I have Nothing else that's a mac

I intend to use for Video editing and Web site BS

You LOVE my mack, Im trying to see if I can get the hang of it

gutts too bee better than the web via a friggin phone

2B continued

I will try to remain PC on my Mac

and be me on my PC ;-)

U've been warned ;-O

2.8 GHz Intel Core i5

12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB

So, how much does an 8 year old iMac cost these days anyway?

8 minutes ago, egon said:

So, how much does an 8 year old iMac cost these days anyway?

how much is any mac worth before you pay the CC down to the original price

and the Next "Must have to be Kool" one comes out and you are ashamed to admit you have the last generation tah you were so smug about the day before

A dear Friend had No Trouble doing exactly what I intend to do with it up until he unplugged it

His New one looks the same to me Only about 1/4 the thickness

Like getting a Guitar, Surfboard or Motorcycle - You Do Not need the Latest Greatest one to Learn on

My 8 year old is far from bottom of the line

OK everyone feel free to tell us how much you paid and how Kool yours is

Ummm and perhaps what it does better

I am Very Happy to have a Friend so kind

according to Mac LOVERS  this one should out perform any PC (Even the Latest Greatest New Ones) for Video Editing & Photo Crunching 

I Shall See soon enough

Staying with my Android Samsung 9+ Thank You !!!

Looks like my ADOBE programs (Licences) will work on the Mac

as well as a Web Suite I recently got (I don't care for Dream Beaver)

All Office krap and most everything else I can use me PC to do

The biggest problem I have with PC persons using my MAC is they want to close programs by clicking the top right box and on a MAC that closes the window not the program. That is done by using the File heading in the top left of the screen. I sometimes find a bunch of programs running because of this. Hang in there and you will find it is easy. Office on a MAC is better than on a PC. Sometimes what you see is really what you get! Adobe user on MAC/Apple products since 1988.

You Might Like Final Cut Pro over adobe premier for video a little easier

1 hour ago, Proneshooter said:

The biggest problem I have with PC persons using my MAC is they want to close programs by clicking the top right box and on a MAC that closes the window not the program. That is done by using the File heading in the top left of the screen. I sometimes find a bunch of programs running because of this. Hang in there and you will find it is easy. Office on a MAC is better than on a PC. Sometimes what you see is really what you get! Adobe user on MAC/Apple products since 1988.

I am that guy clicking on everything along top to close what little I had opened

I had to google how to turn it on as I couldnt find the button on my own

PC is Much healthier as ut is an Air Purifier too sucking in and holding dust

this thing doesn't even have a vent

10 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

That’s a Big Mac. 

Dointe saye thet..... he'lle eatte it.                         :)

18 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

how much is any mac worth before you pay the CC down to the original price - Not to sure what you getting at here, especially with a used machine, however, many Macs cost twice what a nearly identical PC costs.

and the Next "Must have to be Kool" one comes out and you are ashamed to admit you have the last generation tah you were so smug about the day before - That's never been me and I'm a computer geek

A dear Friend had No Trouble doing exactly what I intend to do with it up until he unplugged it - Good, it works.  I'm all about giving usable hardware more life.

His New one looks the same to me Only about 1/4 the thickness - Ah, part of the problem, I'll get back to this one in a minute.

Like getting a Guitar, Surfboard or Motorcycle - You Do Not need the Latest Greatest one to Learn on - 100% agree

My 8 year old is far from bottom of the line - Yes and no.

OK everyone feel free to tell us how much you paid and how Kool yours is - It's not cool, it's practical, durable, and boring.  ThinkPads have looked the same for 20+ years and probably always will.  All things considered, its was a good deal.  Bought it with some low end components (RAM and storage) which I quickly upgraded and saved about $400.

I am Very Happy to have a Friend so kind - if it was free or dirt cheap, yes, a very good friend.

according to Mac LOVERS  this one should out perform any PC (Even the Latest Greatest New Ones) for Video Editing & Photo Crunching - Nope, the last generation i5 with the same base clock speed is 3 times faster than the i5-760 in your iMac in synthetic benchmarks. 3x FASTER.

Ugh.

I'll make this quick as I am your typical jaded IT professional that is just trying to educate folks.

Apple design language is fantastic, full stop.  Does that give them enough reason to charge double? NO.

For the most part, Apple hates their customers.  Products just get worse and worse.  They sue folks that fix them.  Cripple older devices with updates.

Upgrading and fixing, you don't upgrade or fix your Mac, you're supposed to just buy a whole new one.

Like I said, Ugh.

Good luck with the new to you iMac that Apple isn't providing MacOS updates for anymore.

--Matt

18 hours ago, egon said:

Ugh.

I'll make this quick as I am your typical jaded IT professional that is just trying to educate folks.

Apple design language is fantastic, full stop.  Does that give them enough reason to charge double? NO.

For the most part, Apple hates their customers.  Products just get worse and worse.  They sue folks that fix them.  Cripple older devices with updates.

Upgrading and fixing, you don't upgrade or fix your Mac, you're supposed to just buy a whole new one.

Like I said, Ugh.

Good luck with the new to you iMac that Apple isn't providing MacOS updates for anymore.

--Matt

comment on value = snide reply to dig on cost of 10 year old one

Most everyone drinks the iKoolade and chants how any mac is better than any PC or Android  forever

But they keep needing to buy the Latest/New one or be ridiculed by everyone who did

I will be Happy to just do (actually whey less) what my friend did on it up to last week

it had no problems and has more memory than stock

The True Value Test Results = It's Good Enough for me and I'm Happy with it.

A Gift is not the same as Free, but I didn't have to pay for it so Fantastic Value ...

I begining to get the hand of it

I have heard you can actually run PC programs on one But only as an act of desperation with worse than PC results ???

my Mouse "Right Click" is Broke :unsure:

You can turn on the right click function under mouse controls. I hope that you got a magic mouse with the computer. They make everything easier.

8 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

my Mouse "Right Click" is Broke :unsure:

Drove  me nuts too. Hold control key and click.

Forget the mouse and get the touch pad. Much easier to use the many gestures.  You'll thank me

4 hours ago, Proneshooter said:

You can turn on the right click function under mouse controls. I hope that you got a magic mouse with the computer. They make everything easier.

???? I googled mac magic mouse

looks like mine but who knows

my mouse is touchy so if Ho slide up/down on top of it cursor moves likewise 

except down to go up and up to go down

I was trying tp highlight and copy/cut something = Fail

The best way to learn a PC was with someone else showing me how hands on

but no youtube back then in the 14k dile-up modem. daz

I'm thinkin open mind rather than an .... "I got this but it's not working" approach is  my only hope

thankfully it's Great for watching youtube videos

but there is so much to watch having nothing to do with learning me mac

it's a different path to a different place

I still have much to learn about PC'z and I built my last few - built my 1st in mid 90'z (assembled anyway)

as long as it stays Fun it doesn't have to go fast

as for touch pad is it Only an iTouchPad that will work properly?

5 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

as for touch pad is it Only an iTouchPad that will work properly?

As far as I know. I have never used anything else. I am sure there  are others.

2 hours ago, vibroman said:

As far as I know. I have never used anything else. I am sure there  are others.

I have one to try this evening 

6 hours ago, vibroman said:

2 finger swipe to scroll 3 finger to select

Thanks, no idea But googled it & :

On 12/17/2018 at 4:34 AM, Proneshooter said:

. Hang in there and you will find it is easy. Office on a MAC is better than on a PC. Sometimes what you see is really what you get! Adobe user on MAC/Apple products since 1988.

Oh, and one other thing. Office 2019 will only run on Windows 10 and on whatever are the three most recent versions of macOS. Yes, the macOS requirement shifts for some reason. According to Microsoft: “When a new version of macOS is released, the Office 2019 for Mac Operating System requirement becomes the then-current three most recent versions: the new version of macOS and the previous versions.” It’s a little strange.

Office 365, on the other hand, currently works with Windows 7, 8, and 10, but also uses that three-version shifting scheme for macOS. :unsure:

Hi Woody,

I moved to Mac's some years ago and whilst there is a learning curve, I persisted, but didn't  regret the change

There are excellent books on Mac's - "The missing manual" series -see - https://davidpogue.com/books/

Or https://www.amazon.com/Books-David-Pogue/s/ref=glow_cls?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A283155%2Cp_27%3ADavid%20Pogue

At $23 it is well worth it

David Pogue was the technology writer for NYT for many years

He made the transition much simpler for me

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

On 12/20/2018 at 3:41 AM, Proneshooter said:

Shit, just get a $5 wireless mouse.  Plug and play and it works just like the PC.  

36 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Shit, just get a $5 wireless mouse.  Plug and play and it works just like the PC.  

ummm

I got the magic mouse included

Video I posted above explains how to PC-Like an iMac

Ha ok.  

Just got my third Imac late summer 2018.  Straight out of the box used old wireless mouse from prior Imac.  worked a treat.  Just got a new $6 wireless mouse as old one was trapped in the xmas decorations boxes in the attic for the holidays.  Plug and play works a treat...  

10 hours ago, shaggy said:

Ha ok.  

Just got my third Imac late summer 2018.  Straight out of the box used old wireless mouse from prior Imac.  worked a treat.  Just got a new $6 wireless mouse as old one was trapped in the xmas decorations boxes in the attic for the holidays.  Plug and play works a treat...  

Old Harmonica likely would still play Fine

New Harmonica Straight out of the box likely play a Fine or better

if ya kan't yet play a Harmonica  but you are good on drums ..............................

I'm kreeping up on getting it