JimB

J70 ticks the boxs BUT

I currently sail a Hot Foot 20. I have owned a B25, Santana 23 dagerboard, Santana 20 and a Capri 22.

The J70 looks perfect for the racing and daysailing I do on our local smallish  prairie lake but I am concerned that it may not be fast upwind in relation to its PHRF rating and the Martin 242s I would be racing against. 

The J70 is rated faster than my B25 was yet it has aprox the same upwind sail area as my Hot Foot 20 (224 sq ft) which is 750 lbs lighter than the J70.  Yes the J70 has a longer water line and less beam than my Hot Foot and no doubt a slipprier design but it will need to go upwind with the Martin 242 and then blow them away on the downwind to correct.(I may have to add a symmetric set up for windward leeward racing against he 242)

What say you J70 guys? Is the boat fast upwind despite its lack of upwind sail area? 

No it's an od boat

B and hotfoot are better handicap boats

The 242 is a nice boat too...

If there are a couple 242's in your area then you should get a 242. They are very fun and simple boats. 

The J/70 is not a good handicap boat upwind (I tried). Your J/70 and your small jib will have a lower PHRF number that boats with a longer waterline and a genoa. Not a recipe for success in light to moderate breeze. The boat is very fast downwind though. We normally race on a triangular distance course at our club. If we have 2 spinnaker legs we do great but if we have 2 upwind legs we struggle.

Pretty much impossible to beat a well sailed 242 on corrected time in light air.  That is the case with most boats, but particularly the J/70 which is really only going to be faster than a 242 downwind in a blow.  

Thanks for the replys. I did suspect the J70 would have a tough time up wind against a Martin 242. I often helm a Martin and they do sail unwind extremely well. If winning w/L short course racing is all I cared about the Martin would be my first choice no question. I am however hooked on high speed downwind Sailing.  Think I will have to find a Melges when it is time to part with my Hot Foot. 

11 hours ago, JimB said:

Thanks for the replys. I did suspect the J70 would have a tough time up wind against a Martin 242. I often helm a Martin and they do sail unwind extremely well. If winning w/L short course racing is all I cared about the Martin would be my first choice no question. I am however hooked on high speed downwind Sailing.  Think I will have to find a Melges when it is time to part with my Hot Foot. 

Or get the J70 and you can suffer some bad phrf ratings on your home lake, while having a blast downwind, and then take an occasional trip to a J70 one design event and have a blast with 60-80 other J70 owners, something that no other small keelboat fleet can boast these days.

J70 are particularly sluggish upwind until you dial the rig and sail plan together.  With all the sailmakers in the business of J70s now...it takes time.  I would go with the Martin based on having competition already on the line.  Off the wind she is a rocket in some breeze and high fives all around while planing.  

We race against both M242 and B25's on my J70 and have no problem beating both boats as long as the breeze is above 5 kts. We are regularly faster and can often point higher upwind. In displacement mode downwind the J70 can sail very low, as the breeze builds you can either wing the kite or if it is windy enough you can plane before both the b25 and the M242.

Frankly if you are not going to be doing any one-design racing in a J70 you should get a M242 instead. 

Tony

19 hours ago, tony.collins said:

We race against both M242 and B25's on my J70 and have no problem beating both boats as long as the breeze is above 5 kts. We are regularly faster and can often point higher upwind. In displacement mode downwind the J70 can sail very low, as the breeze builds you can either wing the kite or if it is windy enough you can plane before both the b25 and the M242.

Frankly if you are not going to be doing any one-design racing in a J70 you should get a M242 instead. 

Tony

Thanks for your thoughts. I have helmed the M242 lots. Great w/L short course boats. I prefer a helm that has a dingy like feel like both my Hot Foot and past B. Both my Hot Foot and my old B are a blast to sail downwind  in a breeze. That's what I sail for. Let the Martins have the W/L short course glory. I started this post to determine if the J70  can at least hang in with the M242 unwind. I appreciate the responses. 

Get a Melges 24 and go faster on all points of sail for less money.