Wet Spreaders

Why no foul?

I was surfing youtube and came upon this gem:

At the 5 minute mark into the video, Spithill is trying to get out of jail by crossing LR - but it doesn't look like he made it on the video. The call on the water was "clean". Was there any controversy after the fact or was it, in fact, a clean move? 

Dickson was driving OR at the time, Spithill was on Prada. I think it was on the grounds of room and opportunity, the match racing rules are a little different, but Spithill was schooling Dicko in that series.

OK - obviously I'm totally confused as well as forgetful - the commentary in Italian doesn't help. What actually happened?

^Where did you find it in English? 

FWIW that was Dickson's last race for BMWOracle.

7 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

^Where did you find it in English? 

FWIW that was Dickson's last race for BMWOracle.

You tube - there's a 52 min summary of the whole LV cup with English commentary.

I found this one, you have to forward through to a bit of the Day 5 double penalty bashing  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hNhGN7FvQU

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:36 AM, ~HHN92~ said:

Dickson was driving OR at the time, Spithill was on Prada. I think it was on the grounds of room and opportunity, the match racing rules are a little different, but Spithill was schooling Dicko in that series.

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:41 AM, NeedAClew said:

I found this one, you have to forward through to a bit of the Day 5 double penalty bashing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hNhGN7FvQU

Opportunity hasn't been in the rule book for, if I remember correctly, for about 20 years(at least)  

I have also used that video at the top of the thread many times when coaching match racing rules and that call by LR had penalty all over it.

It has to be remembered that the AC rus with two umpires in the umpire boat which typically follows the action from behind and below wherever possible but they are aided by 2 other umpires in a 'wing boat' who, in a situation like that have the primary task of watching the overlap between the two boats. As the clear (from the air)  overlap existed the wing boat would be communicating by radio to the umpires with words like "overlapped 1/4 boat length" or if they couldn't see "blackout" with the calls coming at the speed of a metronome.

If the word "clear" was heard it would not have been from the umpires during the dial down as there was a clear overlap and the word "clear" is typically only used to signify 'no overlap'.

LR had to alter to avoid Oracle and the conversation between the two would most likely have been along the lines - LR Umpire - "on You": Oracle umpire - "Agreed":  Both would then agree 'Penalty on Oracle' - it was pretty cut and dried.

2nd Penalty, less obvious but also a clear penalty if you read the rules. It went to RED because it was deliberate.

Just my thoughts.