Gouvernail

Self Christmas Present For Your Dinghy??

So.. What did you buy yourself as a sailing Christmas present??

i went cheap. There are a couple Ronstan mini Cams sitting in my car waiting to be installed 

and I made a new out of the way clean storage place for all my spare spars, booms, and spin poles  

So...

I went BIG.  AC 289 from GBR is sitting on the dock in Houston waiting to clear customs.  Thanks to Derek and Rod for making it happen.  

• Like 3

I bought a rigid boom vang from Gahauer Marine for my 35.5 hunter legend....

I replaced the Laser I keep on the west coast with a new one.

• Like 4

don't buy, build! 

for the moth, currently building a gantry fairing and shortly I'll be building a deck fairing for a decksweeper sail.

A new radial-cut Laser sail, a Zhik lifejacket, and a Laser dolly.  I also asked Santa for some decent wind, and tonight it came up to 40 on Tomales Bay.   Bad Santa.

Starting to replace 20-year old plastic Ronstan cleats with new micro harken carbos on my Finn, ripping out the old foam nonskid and laying down 3M tape, installing new hiking straps with continuous lashings.

I thought about buying the dinghy a keel, because falling into 52 degree water gets tedious, but I bought myself a K1 instead.  

Does that make me a bad person?  Or do I get exiled to the sport boat threads?

Presents are tricky!

fill in one:

(. ) good call!

(. ) get thee to the sport boat forums!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, onepointfivethumbs said:

Starting to replace 20-year old plastic Ronstan cleats with new micro harken carbos on my Finn, ripping out the old foam nonskid and laying down 3M tape, installing new hiking straps with continuous lashings.

Treat yourself...avoid the 3M tape and get a kit from Raptor decking.  I have a floor kit for my Moth waiting to go on in the Spring.

I bought a used Exocet Moth bow sprit and wand and took delivery of a brand new Exocet horizontal carbon push rod on 12/24.  I've started fabricating a new trunk to allow for more adjustment and I'm also fabbing an oval tube to receive the bow sprit. That and I have a new Zhik pfd in the cart at APS with their 20% off sail.  Code is GETMORE for anybody needing a soft goods item.

When you put it in writing it seems excessive.  :D

I've also been buying gear for Park City Sailing.  I ordered up some Mahogany and Spruce from a local shop to build our four Rhodes 19s new tillers.  I just ordered varnish from Fisheries Supply and I got Ecopoxy from Aircraft Spruce.  Next is a Harken order for new tiller extensions and roller fuller 483 kits for the boats.  It's upgrade time.

1 hour ago, WCB said:

Treat yourself...avoid the 3M tape and get a kit from Raptor decking.  I have a floor kit for my Moth waiting to go on in the Spring.

I sailed on a couple J/70's with the Raptor deck. Grip is nice but the squeaking drove me nuts. I'd really prefer Treadmaster but I'm trying to take a couple lbs out of my boat and grip tape was the lightest option. 

Sold my personal boat yesterday, it was  collected today, looks like I need to build a new one in the new year.

On 12/24/2018 at 2:48 PM, Daniel Holman said:

Thought you meant 289 ac cobra for a second. Seemed incongruous that it was shipped from the uk! Would be a very big present / blue chip investment!!

If not than what else? My google search has failed other than a Harken p/n but that wouldn’t be sitting on a dock in Houston! 

Hey samc99us,

Being from Annapolis i figure you have seen an International Canoe before. An AC is an International Canoe with an asymmetric spinnaker added. The rules where changed to allow recent development and are referred to as DC's (Development Canoes). There are three AC's in the US, all in North Texas. Yeehaw

• Like 1

ICs are crazy enough, ACs must be off the wall. YouTube has lots of videos of international canoes and asymmetric canoes. 

Can either of these be sailed in a chop?

• Like 1

The DC's are all that being skinny and 30KG lighter than the IC. We sailed the Worlds in 93 and 2014 on the Berkley Circle in 20+ so I'd say they sail in chop very well. I sailed a Classic IC at both events and didn't need any less boat or more sail area. The AC's love the W/L courses we sail on inland lakes and lighter breezes although we have smaller 18m chutes for the bigger breezes. 

• Like 1

Hey Lifesave,

Nice! I haven’t seen an IC up close, not sure if any are actively raced in the area and if so where?

”18m chute for the bigger breezes” haha that’s a lot of kite on a solo boat considering we run 21m on the 2 man F18 with a tad more righting moment. Sounds like a wicked ride; any chance they are playing with foils as well (not that they need em’).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, onepointfivethumbs said:

I sailed on a couple J/70's with the Raptor deck. Grip is nice but the squeaking drove me nuts. I'd really prefer Treadmaster but I'm trying to take a couple lbs out of my boat and grip tape was the lightest option. 

Check out progrip from Pinnel & Bax in England.  www.pinbax.com  You can get it in a variety of colors and I don't think it makes any noise.  I've used it before for 505 trap grip and it's nice.  I've got a set of that waiting to go on the 505 once the deck is repainted.

New hiking straps and a life jacket for my Finn. 50  - 60% off during the Zhik sale, great deal.

13 hours ago, samc99us said:

Hey Lifesave,

Nice! I haven’t seen an IC up close, not sure if any are actively raced in the area and if so where?

”18m chute for the bigger breezes” haha that’s a lot of kite on a solo boat considering we run 21m on the 2 man F18 with a tad more righting moment. Sounds like a wicked ride; any chance they are playing with foils as well (not that they need em’).

Foils are legal still (I think) on the rudders, but that’s it-  although windsurfers have been foiling on one foil for years, so who knows....

http://intcanoe.com/about/

19 hours ago, samc99us said:

Hey Lifesave,

23SQ MTR KITE NOW, 289 HAS A 27

On 12/24/2018 at 1:02 PM, Gouvernail said:

So.. What did you buy yourself as a sailing Christmas present??

i went cheap. There are a couple Ronstan mini Cams sitting in my car waiting to be installed 

and I made a new out of the way clean storage place for all my spare spars, booms, and spin poles  

Gouv - Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!  We sold our F27 and got a new big boat which will need a dinghy!  My blacked out beach beater LASER got a touch up paint job and new mainsheet and because this old dude wants to try to learn to fly... I got me a UFO.

22 hours ago, Lifesave said:

Hey samc99us,

Being from Annapolis i figure you have seen an International Canoe before. An AC is an International Canoe with an asymmetric spinnaker added. The rules where changed to allow recent development and are referred to as DC's (Development Canoes). There are three AC's in the US, all in North Texas. Yeehaw

21 hours ago, Lifesave said:

The DC's are all that being skinny and 30KG lighter than the IC. We sailed the Worlds in 93 and 2014 on the Berkley Circle in 20+ so I'd say they sail in chop very well. I sailed a Classic IC at both events and didn't need any less boat or more sail area. The AC's love the W/L courses we sail on inland lakes and lighter breezes although we have smaller 18m chutes for the bigger breezes. 

Dang!!  Ain't seen nothing like that in Annapolis.  But sounds pretty wild!!

A new Viper 640 which will be delivered to Palma, Mallorca in time for the Viper European winter series. After 20+ years my brother and I are putting the old band back together again!

4 hours ago, Mambo Kings said:

A new Viper 640 which will be delivered to Palma, Mallorca in time for the Viper European winter series. After 20+ years my brother and I are putting the old band back together again!

And you have another new Vipper coming to ABYC for the world's?

No biggie but I just bought continuous jib sheets for the raider. Set it up to get length correct. To damn cold to try em though. 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2018 at 3:31 AM, Amati said:

I thought about buying the dinghy a keel, because falling into 52 degree water gets tedious, but I bought myself a K1 instead.  

Does that make me a bad person?  Or do I get exiled to the sport boat threads?

Presents are tricky!

fill in one:

(X) good call!

(. ) get thee to the sport boat forums.

1, I agree with you about falling in cold water,  I'm getting too old for that. 

2, A damaged back for me means no more sitting out. 

So I've built a 16ft mini keelboat,  but roughly in the style of our local keelboat classes.. 

This will still qualify  in our allcomers B class ( boats below 17.5 feet) , our main dinghy class. We also have allcomers C ( boats under 12ft) for the little ones... 

I've built it so I sit fore and aft, steer with my  feet, handle main sheet and jib with my hands.

To which, today I was laminating up a jib club.

Note,  keelboat in our area,  is a boat with a keel,  but with no cabin. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Q said:

1, I agree with you about falling in cold water,  I'm getting too old for that. 

2, A damaged back for me means no more sitting out. 

So I've built a 16ft mini keelboat,  but roughly in the style of our local keelboat classes.. 

This will still qualify  in our allcomers B class ( boats below 17.5 feet) , our main dinghy class. We also have allcomers C ( boats under 12ft) for the little ones... 

I've built it so I sit fore and aft, steer with my  feet, handle main sheet and jib with my hands.

To which, today I was laminating up a jib club.

Note,  keelboat in our area,  is a boat with a keel,  but with no cabin. 

I’ve been tossing around the idea of a dss style hiking plank that wouldn’t slide athwartships, kind of like wings out from each side of the hull: no hanging from straps, just sitting out on a wing that might act as a lifting surface when tipped into the water to leeward- might even work in a slow death roll?  I don’t have a banged up dinghy to frankenboat right now, so I’ll have to build or find something used......

• Like 1

I just bought Waterat 505 carbon double pole launcher and two carbon poles for my 505.  Merry Christmas to that boat too.  The 505 continues its massive upgrades in the Spring.

• Like 2

I made a assy pole launcher and pole and lines for my FD, now it's turbo! And my 23sq mtr kite from the AC fits perfect on it! Will post pix when it's warm enough. The 505 is getting all new lines, including spliced 12 braid to wire halyard, like it should have been.

• Like 1

Today I rode 70 miles up the lake change and helped a buddy go buy an old rather tired laser . He took it sailing for most of the afternoon. 

There is a boat hanging in my shop I should have painted but this was lots more satisfying 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Amati said:

I’ve been tossing around the idea of a dss style hiking plank that wouldn’t slide athwartships, kind of like wings out from each side of the hull: no hanging from straps, just sitting out on a wing that might act as a lifting surface when tipped into the water to leeward- might even work in a slow death roll?  I don’t have a banged up dinghy to frankenboat right now, so I’ll have to build or find something used......

Just how wide are you thinking of going?  It's an interesting idea,  and worth having a go. However,  the wider the wings the more likely it would cause so much drag hitting the water,  you'll pivot round and come to a halt. 

3 hours ago, The Q said:

Just how wide are you thinking of going?  It's an interesting idea,  and worth having a go. However,  the wider the wings the more likely it would cause so much drag hitting the water,  you'll pivot round and come to a halt. 

A nice cedar board 6’-8’ * 4”-6” * 3/4”-1”, a belt sander & varnish, 2 gunwale clamps, a couple wedges for angle of attack, and some sort of flat bottom foil section for ease of shaping?  

You’d think that dss in general would do the pivot thing ^^^^, but I keep seeing videos where it doesn’t, any more than a daggerboard causes nose stuffing.  For quick and dirty, it would be surface piercing......

:)

On 1/1/2019 at 8:38 AM, Amati said:

A nice cedar board 6’-8’ * 4”-6” * 3/4”-1”, a belt sander & varnish, 2 gunwale clamps, a couple wedges for angle of attack, and some sort of flat bottom foil section for ease of shaping?  

You’d think that dss in general would do the pivot thing ^^^^, but I keep seeing videos where it doesn’t, any more than a daggerboard causes nose stuffing.  For quick and dirty, it would be surface piercing......

:)

This probably needs another thread to continue with traction. But, I've seen it tried before and unless the plank breaks the surface at the correct AoA, it can become a big water break.

I liked the sliding board on my International Canoe, of course. Besides, you can sail alongside a dock, slide the seat over it and walk off. Impresses the spectators. But that board could move side to side and fore and aft.

I put one on my Raider, a 16' winged dinghy, and it did not help much. Added weight. Worked OK in smooth water and wind. But needed to be able to slide aft for waves. Also, yes, it did catch waves. And that was on the windward side. If the pry goes on both sides all the time there had better be lots of freeboard. Oh, and I hooked a mark and banged a bridge abutment with the pry off to leeward in light air. 

Now, maybe if that pry were under water on both sides and shaped like a foil. Oh, they do that now.

Dave Ellis

• Like 2

New to the forum. Wealth of info here. Bought a Vanguard Vector in November. Not my first dingy but my first trapeze skiff and my first exposure to this type of sailing. I've spent most of my time on keel boats. She needs quite a bit of rigging replaced. So while shes getting in fighting shape I'll spend the winter learning how to sail it. It will be a wet summer.

• Like 1

Went retro....

Picked up 2 old big volume sailboards....Mistral One Design 2000 and an older Tyronsea 370.

Grabbed  a mixed bag  of second hand masts, booms and sails cheap.

Gave GF one set up for xmas and cannot keep her from the water on them.

Went sailing cheap and easy.

GF practising in the pool on the old but simple slalom board picked up as well.

balance act.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/3/2019 at 8:19 AM, John D said:

This probably needs another thread to continue with traction. But, I've seen it tried before and unless the plank breaks the surface at the correct AoA, it can become a big water break.

So it can work!!!

;)

Composite laser upper section to replace the POS bent paperclip I've been using, and there might be another carbon extension in my blade bag . . . Happy New Year!