Sign in to follow this  
nota

fixing the merit 25 keel

I just found a cheap merit 25 on a good trailer for less then the trailer value total price

good sails  and rig

inside trashed and keel cracks esp after the keel

any good threads on keel box reinforcements ?

and/or a similar boat keel box repairs info

plan is a do it yourself repair

or info on other major problems with the merit 25 other then the plywood decks

or info on a good mast raising system for the boat ? like homemade plans !

That can be a fun boat.  You should post some pictures, and probably keep it to one topic per post (in the right section), but first do some searches.  Here is some info, for example on keel bolts, which is likely related to your keel box issues.  Without pictures we have no idea. 
http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/205186-keel-bolt-maintenance/
Remember though, that the cheaper the boat is initially, the more it will end up costing.  Especially with keels.

cleaned out the bilge and somebody was busy with big SS straps on the keel bolts [replaced new looking bolts]

that keel ain't going anywhere

trailer looks very good no rust and even has hyd brakes need to figure them out but I think they are working :D

only lost one 12 year old tyre on the way to the tyre shop got to love duals :lol:

shop only had two decent 14 '' tyres but I have two good spares so all 4 are replaced now

where can I launch near south dade with crane/lift and step the mast and sail away [no motor]

so black point while close is out [narrow channel in/out ]

yes thanks found those older links

odd problem the rear transom drains are NOT connected

so the water goes in a currant down COCKPIT TO the drain and back IN to the rear locker then back to the bilge

looks like an odd dogleg dropping the outflow in a manor sure to clog and rot the hoses that are now GONE

WHY THEY DID NOT DO A STRAIT THRU DRAIN IS BEYOND ME WITH A HIGHER EXIT AND FLAP

ANY WAY DECK LOOKS CLEAN AND WHITE AFTER A POWER WASH/FLOOD

now need to fix the leaks on deck

On 12/28/2018 at 4:37 PM, nota said:

cleaned out the bilge and somebody was busy with big SS straps on the keel bolts [replaced new looking bolts]

that keel ain't going anywhere

took a better look after cleaning out the dirt leaves shreaded foam and and the PO did a good job of keel flex repair

heavy roving done in the keel box and up the sides to the flatish bottom

and crosswise thick SS channel over the keel bolts and up on each side glassed in

kind of looks like a chainplate but bent channel with minor cuts in the floor to get it in and glassed in place

never seen a similar set up but should solve any keel movements with an SS grid and new shiny SS keel bolts too

sure am glad that was done and I do NOT have to grind inside or worry about the keel falling off

this was one nice sol invictus [ dec 25 ] xmas gift to myself