MauiPunter

What brands from the 70s/80s would you resurrect?

Recommended Posts

There was a lot of excitement during the 70s/80s in boat building with all the brands that flooded the market.  But when the dust settled as we entered the 90s, so many failed.  Some because of shitty design, or manufacturing, or from mis-management, or a combination of all the above. I sometimes daydream about some brands if they were able to continue into the modern era what cool stuff they would be creating. 

What brands would you resurrect and why? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

C&C

Cal

Ranger

Ericson

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dash 34 - only built properly with vacuum bagging, modern rudder and keel foil, and a carbon rig.  Still a great design (see the FP picture of Midnight Rambler which looks like a Dash 34 from above) but needed better execution than what was available at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nicholsons, but build them a little lighter with modern resins and rigs. Utterly bomb proof, sea-kindly, blue water cruisers.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

There was a lot of excitement during the 70s/80s in boat building with all the brands that flooded the market.  But when the dust settled as we entered the 90s, so many failed.  Some because of shitty design, or manufacturing, or from mis-management, or a combination of all the above. I sometimes daydream about some brands if they were able to continue into the modern era what cool stuff they would be creating. 

What brands would you resurrect and why? 

(Helpful link added.)

CSY because they were made to be difficult for idiots to break. Last I saw, Com-Pac still has the 44 hull mold. I don't think anyone can afford to put as much fiberglass as CSY did though.

Also because they've held value, at least in nominal dollar terms, which is quite a trick for a boat. We sold ours in about 1990 and it was pretty nice and sold for a hundred grand. A pretty nice one today? A hundred grand. These are boats from the 70's. Most competitors from the time are in the Zombie fleet or have already been destroyed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

C&C of course. Is this even a question :D

 

Yep...but they were kinda resurrected.  US Watercraft.  Nice try, but a no-go.    Shoulda focused on one designs.   Get traction then launch an over-priced 41' R/C...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sail69 said:

Yep...but they were kinda resurrected.  US Watercraft.  Nice try, but a no-go.    Shoulda focused on one designs.   Get traction then launch an over-priced 41' R/C...

If C&C was a cat they would only have 1 or 2 lives left. I don't want the Barely Careful C&C back, I want the 70s version back!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

C&C for sure. They were the last of the TRUE racer/cruiser.

I also always had a thing for the older Sabres.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any value in ANY "brand name" related to sailboats, other than appealing to nostalgia of old farts who probably aren't going to buy one anyway?

FB- Doug

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First you'd have to bring back the folks from the 70s and 80s who actually want to buy a boat that can "sail," vs. the "lifestyle" buyer of today who is mostly interested in a floating dock condo, and not actually having to put and effort are work into sailing...:(

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Crash said:

First you'd have to bring back the folks from the 70s and 80s who actually want to buy a boat that can "sail," vs. the "lifestyle" buyer of today who is mostly interested in a floating dock condo, and not actually having to put and effort are work into sailing...:(

This!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gramps says sidney sabots

whatever those are

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, sledracr said:

+1s to Ericson, Barient

...plus Schock (now just a shell of what they were)

 

 

How did the Rolex of winches ,Barient, fall so far so fast ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first boat was a Sidney Sabot. Great little boat, but not really any better or worse than the dozens of other sabot manufacturers. My vote would be the boats out of Santa Cruz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always wondered what a J22 with a retractable bulb keel, cut out transom and a bow sprit would look like, and then the J70 came :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, some dude said:

Barient

Don't really need them back - their stuff was so good that most of it is still around. It sure outlives the boats it was mounted on. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, dash34 said:

Dash 34 - only built properly with vacuum bagging, modern rudder and keel foil, and a carbon rig.  Still a great design (see the FP picture of Midnight Rambler which looks like a Dash 34 from above) but needed better execution than what was available at the time.

Laurie wanted to build that boat with a lot less freeboard, but one of the backers was a tall person, so it had to have standing headroom for 6'2" I believe.  The lower freeboard may have also helped.  In many ways like the Kirby 30s where Bruce was given a draft limit by the builders that was way too little.  (for Lac St. Louis near Montreal)  The Kirby 30 with a decent keel would be a good return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Laker said:

Laurie wanted to build that boat with a lot less freeboard, but one of the backers was a tall person, so it had to have standing headroom for 6'2" I believe.  The lower freeboard may have also helped.  In many ways like the Kirby 30s where Bruce was given a draft limit by the builders that was way too little.  (for Lac St. Louis near Montreal)  The Kirby 30 with a decent keel would be a good return.

The "tall backer" couldn't have been Finn:D.  I suspect he was short of cash as well as stature - although maybe he received a wad of cash from the insurer for the Riotous Assembly bonfire IDK.

I like the Dash and own one - but nowhere near 6'2" headroom.  Maybe 5'10" or so at best - I"m 6'2" and have to slouch a bit inside.  But I'm okay with that on any boat so long as I don't have to bend my back. 

The story I heard was similar but a slightly different twist - they ended up making the cabin taller was the one I heard - but your freeboard one sounds more likely - they do have a fair amount of freeboard.

Great boats but could use more SA and RM IMO.  The keel always seemed to me like it was designed more for marketing purposes -  pretty much every boat of that era designed with aspirations of racing in mind had to have a trapezoidal keel like the IOR boats.  While generally a good hydrodynamic planform it also results in a keel with high CG, which doesn't really suit a relatively narrow boat like the Dash (10' beam), and especially one with such a narrow BWL (<8 ft).

Rudder had an odd and rather small planform and my gut tells me LD didn't design that.

Rig wise, I've wondered if a MH version of sufficient height would have worked out better.  My understanding is that the Dash 34 was sort of a followup of LD's Wednesday Night Racer (there are some comments and photos of the WNR design in either "A Lighter Ton" or "Charge of the Light Brigade" - one of the two) which looked like a MH version of the Dash with a shorter cabin IIRC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

The "tall backer" couldn't have been Finn:D.  I suspect he was short of cash as well as stature - although maybe he received a wad of cash from the insurer for the Riotous Assembly bonfire IDK.

I like the Dash and own one - but nowhere near 6'2" headroom.  Maybe 5'10" or so at best - I"m 6'2" and have to slouch a bit inside.  But I'm okay with that on any boat so long as I don't have to bend my back. 

The story I heard was similar but a slightly different twist - they ended up making the cabin taller was the one I heard - but your freeboard one sounds more likely - they do have a fair amount of freeboard.

Great boats but could use more SA and RM IMO.  The keel always seemed to me like it was designed more for marketing purposes -  pretty much every boat of that era designed with aspirations of racing in mind had to have a trapezoidal keel like the IOR boats.  While generally a good hydrodynamic planform it also results in a keel with high CG, which doesn't really suit a relatively narrow boat like the Dash (10' beam), and especially one with such a narrow BWL (<8 ft).

Rudder had an odd and rather small planform and my gut tells me LD didn't design that.

Rig wise, I've wondered if a MH version of sufficient height would have worked out better.  My understanding is that the Dash 34 was sort of a followup of LD's Wednesday Night Racer (there are some comments and photos of the WNR design in either "A Lighter Ton" or "Charge of the Light Brigade" - one of the two) which looked like a MH version of the Dash with a shorter cabin IIRC.

Do mean like this? 

_IGP4351.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, George Hackett said:

Fredricksen, Penguin, Barbarossa, Ratsy & Lapthorn, Horizon Sails?

Sails by Watts! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would 100% revive the Hotfoot Brand! While the Hotfoot team may not have been the best business people, Doug Hemphill got something very right with the 27, 30, and 31! I wish they'd stuck around long enough to make a 37 or 40!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be fun to see what Express/Alsberg would do in 2018, but I think that a lot of the heart in the brand came from Carl Schumacher who sadly wouldn't be designing the current boats.  Likewise I'd love to see what Olson would do these days.

I think C&C is a good choice otherwise.  Has anyone has as solid of a run making racer/cruisers across the years?

Hotfoot is an interesting choice.  I heavily considered a Hotfoot 31 (before buying the Express 37) and just couldn't come to an agreement on price with the seller.  I liked the design a lot and it was fun to sail.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hobie 33

Sabre 34 & 38 MKIIs

S2 7.9

Frers 36

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 12 metre said:

The "tall backer" couldn't have been Finn:D.  I suspect he was short of cash as well as stature - although maybe he received a wad of cash from the insurer for the Riotous Assembly bonfire IDK.

I like the Dash and own one - but nowhere near 6'2" headroom.  Maybe 5'10" or so at best - I"m 6'2" and have to slouch a bit inside.  But I'm okay with that on any boat so long as I don't have to bend my back. 

The story I heard was similar but a slightly different twist - they ended up making the cabin taller was the one I heard - but your freeboard one sounds more likely - they do have a fair amount of freeboard.

Great boats but could use more SA and RM IMO.  The keel always seemed to me like it was designed more for marketing purposes -  pretty much every boat of that era designed with aspirations of racing in mind had to have a trapezoidal keel like the IOR boats.  While generally a good hydrodynamic planform it also results in a keel with high CG, which doesn't really suit a relatively narrow boat like the Dash (10' beam), and especially one with such a narrow BWL (<8 ft).

Rudder had an odd and rather small planform and my gut tells me LD didn't design that.

Rig wise, I've wondered if a MH version of sufficient height would have worked out better.  My understanding is that the Dash 34 was sort of a followup of LD's Wednesday Night Racer (there are some comments and photos of the WNR design in either "A Lighter Ton" or "Charge of the Light Brigade" - one of the two) which looked like a MH version of the Dash with a shorter cabin IIRC.

The "tall backer" definitely could not stand up in the boat, except under the open hatch, but he could sleep in all the berths!  I think we agree that a bit more RM would allow more SA especially downwind, which is the boat's weak point.

The rumour about the rudder is that there was a mould lying around the shop for another boat, and it was close in size and shape, so they didn't bother building a new one according to the design from LD.  When I ground mine down to the glass last year for fairing it looked like they had taken a rudder from another boat, installed a slightly longer shaft and built up a few inches around the shaft at the top of the rudder.  The top two inches of the rudder was a different layup.  Definitely a frankenrudder.

 

 

rudder.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alex W said:

It would be fun to see what Express/Alsberg would do in 2018, but I think that a lot of the heart in the brand came from Carl Schumacher who sadly wouldn't be designing the current boats.  Likewise I'd love to see what Olson would do these days.

I think C&C is a good choice otherwise.  Has anyone has as solid of a run making racer/cruisers across the years?

Hotfoot is an interesting choice.  I heavily considered a Hotfoot 31 (before buying the Express 37) and just couldn't come to an agreement on price with the seller.  I liked the design a lot and it was fun to sail.

Alsberg brothers and Carl Schumacher.  YES!,

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, manamana said:

I would 100% revive the Hotfoot Brand! While the Hotfoot team may not have been the best business people, Doug Hemphill got something very right with the 27, 30, and 31! I wish they'd stuck around long enough to make a 37 or 40!

I've always been a fan of the Hotfoots (have owned 2 - hull #1 and #2 in various eras).   May have been a bit on the pricey side at the time.  Their main problem IMO was coming to market around 1981 - just as the local economy went into a huge recession.  The same could possibly be said for Dash Marine as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, dash34 said:

The "tall backer" definitely could not stand up in the boat, except under the open hatch, but he could sleep in all the berths!  I think we agree that a bit more RM would allow more SA especially downwind, which is the boat's weak point.

The rumour about the rudder is that there was a mould lying around the shop for another boat, and it was close in size and shape, so they didn't bother building a new one according to the design from LD.  When I ground mine down to the glass last year for fairing it looked like they had taken a rudder from another boat, installed a slightly longer shaft and built up a few inches around the shaft at the top of the rudder.  The top two inches of the rudder was a different layup.  Definitely a frankenrudder.

 

 

rudder.jpg

I think Lebron James could sleep in all the berths.

I heard a similar rumour about the rudder and it is the most likely explanation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alex W said:

I think C&C is a good choice otherwise.  Has anyone has as solid of a run making racer/cruisers across the years?

 

J-Boats?  1977 to present.  But they are not really a builder, so don't know if we can count them in the same way you'd count C&C, etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lindenberg 26.......extended 2 feet to make the cockpit bigger, open transom, slightly deeper and modern keel, lower boom. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

If C&C was a cat they would only have 1 or 2 lives left. I don't want the Barely Careful C&C back, I want the 70s version back!

Bruckman constructs are the best ever......C&C Custom Shop.......Bronte........the best ever.......40 year old 43 Usual Suspect won Chi/Mac in 2011.......damn,  fucking great builders killed by Cdn tax bastards and Liberals........killed the entire yachting industry in Canada.......STD's  to Liberals!!/Democrats/ National Socialists.

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Plausible said:

Bruckman constructs are the best ever......C&C Custom Shop.......Bronte........the best ever.......40 year old 43 Usual Suspect won Chi/Mac in 2011.......damn,  fucking great builders killed by Cdn tax bastards and Liberals........killed the entire yachting industry in Canada.......STD's  to Liberals!!/Democrats/ National Socialists.

Into the sauce a little early today aren't we Implausible?

It was Reagan's luxury tax that killed them - and the rest of the sailboat builders.

Reagan was a right wing Republican - you fucking fool.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love choices.   I definitely had a few of the same in mind.

C&C

Sabre

Ericson

Olson

Sanatana/Schock

Ranger

S2

These brands always stood out in my mind and felt like they should have lived on.  They had great designs, and quality at their peak.   

 

The resurrection of C&C was a bit disappointing.  When I first stepped onto one of the new ones in their second life I instantly felt like something was lost in translation.  They some design hints of C&C, but kinda missed the mark.  The quality was lacking comparatively.  The design looked good and if I recall performed ok.  Not sure if they lived up to their ratings but that's a different topic all together.

Sabre is one that I was probably the most surprised at its ending.  Jim Taylor always designed great boats.  The quality was top notch, you got a lot of boat for the money, and the values were well supported after market.  I'm not sure what happened there but was sad to see them go.

Ericson was part of the Pacific Seacraft conglomerate if I recall, which still exists.  The brand was discontinued but I believe the same company exists.  Bruce King had some innovative designs over the years.

I hope Schock can get their house and in order and be reborn.  

I could go on and on....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

I love choices.   I definitely had a few of the same in mind.

C&C

Sabre

Ericson

Olson

Sanatana/Schock

Ranger

S2

These brands always stood out in my mind and felt like they should have lived on.  They had great designs, and quality at their peak.   

 

The resurrection of C&C was a bit disappointing.  When I first stepped onto one of the new ones in their second life I instantly felt like something was lost in translation.  They some design hints of C&C, but kinda missed the mark.  The quality was lacking comparatively.  The design looked good and if I recall performed ok.  Not sure if they lived up to their ratings but that's a different topic all together.

Sabre is one that I was probably the most surprised at its ending.  Jim Taylor always designed great boats.  The quality was top notch, you got a lot of boat for the money, and the values were well supported after market.  I'm not sure what happened there but was sad to see them go.

Ericson was part of the Pacific Seacraft conglomerate if I recall, which still exists.  The brand was discontinued but I believe the same company exists.  Bruce King had some innovative designs over the years.

I hope Schock can get their house and in order and be reborn.  

I could go on and on....

 

Are you referring to the C&C's of 99/110/121 vintage, the 101 vintage or the recent Mills C&C 30 hiccup?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

S2.

Sentimental reasons and great boats.  I bought  a Slickcraft powerboat as a teenager.  I know where the Tiara factory is when I go back home.

I'm sure they could go back into the sailboat business if there was a market.

 

EDIT:  Wood powerboat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

Ericson was part of the Pacific Seacraft conglomerate if I recall, which still exists.  The brand was discontinued but I believe the same company exists.  Bruce King had some innovative designs over the years.

Ericson was a stand-alone builder until late 80s. 

When the SoCal boating industry cratered in the early 90s, Ericson went bankrupt and in 1991 PSC bought the molds, a handful of in-progress hulls/decks and trademark rights. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Into the sauce a little early today aren't we Implausible?

It was Reagan's luxury tax that killed them - and the rest of the sailboat builders.

Reagan was a right wing Republican - you fucking fool.

Into the meth a little early eh Sloppy?  That tax increase was wriitten into the Democrat tax bill that Bush the First signed, breaking his “No New Taxes” pledge and effectively killing his chance at reelection.  Best you stick to Canuckistani politics.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, J28 said:

That tax increase was wriitten into the Democrat tax bill that Bush the First signed, breaking his “No New Taxes” pledge and effectively killing his chance at reelection...

...and effectively killing the US boat-building industry.

November 1991

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxury_tax#United_States

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Swimsailor said:

Are you referring to the C&C's of 99/110/121 vintage, the 101 vintage or the recent Mills C&C 30 hiccup?

The 99/101/121 series IMHO were not quite C&Cs. Mostly got it, but there was a little something missing. It was very obvious the best carpenters were over on the Tartan side of the shop. The very latest bunch had no relationship to C&C *at all* other than buying the name.

Speaking of......the old Tartan made some solid boats. They could make 37s again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

The 99/101/121 series IMHO were not quite C&Cs. Mostly got it, but there was a little something missing. It was very obvious the best carpenters were over on the Tartan side of the shop. The very latest bunch had no relationship to C&C *at all* other than buying the name.

Speaking of......the old Tartan made some solid boats. They could make 37s again.

Yup.  That was going to be my response.   When you look at the C&C 121 and compare it to the C&C37+, 41 or 44, there is just no comparison on build quality and value there.  121 had the right look, but its execution was kind of a miss.  I wanted to like it sooooo badly and just remember that sinking feeling when I first stepped below and started to poke around.  

I agree with you on the Tartan as well.  They seemed to get the most skilled guys on the floor.  I think Tartan still makes a sailboat or two.  Not quite the volume and range that they were.  

 

Thanks for the update on Ericson.  For some reason I had thought they were coming out of the same factory as Pearson, and owned by PSC.  I guess that was later on in life after they had folded.

 

Any fans of Seidelmanns in here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

Thanks for the update on Ericson. 

Seems like a million years ago, but it was a great time to be a kid growing up in the sailing world. 

A bunch of the "majors" (Islander, DownEast, Jensen/Cal, Ranger, Columbia, Pacific Seacraft, others) all clustered in the same industrial park in Irvine, Schock out in Santa Ana, P-squared in the middle of a bean-field off Dyer Road, Westerly a few blocks up the road, a few other semi-custom builders sprinkled around (Tradewinds, etc) and Choate up in Long Beach.  Add in Catalina down off Newport Boulevard, Morse, WestSail, and Venture/MacGregor somewhere in the mix... plus all the powerboat builders (Wellcraft, etc)... plus all the brokerages, boatyards, rigging shops and chandleries along Pacific Coast Highway.... it was hard *not* to have a job around boats.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sledracr said:

Seems like a million years ago, but it was a great time to be a kid growing up in the sailing world. 

A bunch of the "majors" (Islander, DownEast, Jensen/Cal, Ranger, Columbia, Pacific Seacraft, others) all clustered in the same industrial park in Irvine, Schock out in Santa Ana, P-squared in the middle of a bean-field off Dyer Road, Westerly a few blocks up the road, a few other semi-custom builders sprinkled around (Tradewinds, etc) and Choate up in Long Beach.  Add in Catalina down off Newport Boulevard, Morse, WestSail, and Venture/MacGregor somewhere in the mix... plus all the powerboat builders (Wellcraft, etc)... plus all the brokerages, boatyards, rigging shops and chandleries along Pacific Coast Highway.... it was hard *not* to have a job around boats.

 

Sounds like Nirvana.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

Sounds like Nirvana.

It really was.  Not to mention a thriving ecosystem.

Case in point - my job in high-school was driving a delivery truck for a fastener company.  The company founder had identified a cool little niche - the boat builders had to use "US-sourced" fasteners in order to meet some esoteric corner of the Jones Act.  So my job was to drive up to Santa Fe Springs, pick up 55-gallon drums of stainless 1/4-20 nuts (or whatever) fresh off the boat from Somewhere Else, package them up in little poly bags of 50 or 100 nuts, and then deliver the packages to the boatbuilders, the marine hardware stores, the rigging shops, whatever..... having marked them up 1000% or so, in return for the fact that they were now from a "US source".

Great way to get an "in" with the production manager at Ericson, which became a gig at Pacific Rigging, which had the contract for all the new-boat commissioning at the Ericson brokerage, which grew into my own rigging business, etc, etc. 

It was great... until they all went under.  :(

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, J28 said:

Into the meth a little early eh Sloppy?  That tax increase was wriitten into the Democrat tax bill that Bush the First signed, breaking his “No New Taxes” pledge and effectively killing his chance at reelection.  Best you stick to Canuckistani politics.

Go easy on him. He is really really really old and this place is all he has left

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Is there any value in ANY "brand name" related to sailboats, other than appealing to nostalgia of old farts who probably aren't going to buy one anyway?

FB- Doug

I'm definitely dropping names here, but I was lucky enough to be seated beside George Cuthbertson at a luncheon a couple of years ago before his passing. He said something about 'brands' that stuck with me. 

I picked his brains about a few things. Then I asked him about the hot new C&C30 which, being retired, he didn't really seem to know much about (or did he?). Anyway, I'll never forget his quip...'you mean they're still trading that name around?'

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Soverel~~~Mark drew fast

Hey! Let's not forget the founder, Bill... He drew some nice cruisers (but I'm biased...)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t see Pearson mentioned? Seemed like they had a decent following in their original incarnation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MidPack said:

I didn’t see Pearson mentioned? Seemed like they had a decent following in their original incarnation.

+1

Pearson made some good boats. We loved our Pearson 30 and plenty of them are still sailing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

The 99/101/121 series IMHO were not quite C&Cs. Mostly got it, but there was a little something missing. It was very obvious the best carpenters were over on the Tartan side of the shop. The very latest bunch had no relationship to C&C *at all* other than buying the name.

Speaking of......the old Tartan made some solid boats. They could make 37s again.

This.   My Buddy  bought a C & C 115 new in 2006.   Did not age well at all.  Been threatening to sell since day 1 (when I towed him in with my 1981 C & C 40 after he spun a prop).  Mast, leaks, keel all had some kind of issue.  Even new the woodwork was not impressive.  Still love mine though and intend to keep it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, sledracr said:

 

...plus Schock (now just a shell of what they were)

 

 

 

Agreed, but  I am biased. I would love to see them get their shit together. I have never owned a boat whose manufacturer was still in business. (Hinterhoeller Shark, Irwin, C&C, Schock)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Canadian Sailcraft, would be great with some newer tech and materials, but I am biased, I own one.  

Hey Wap, being old old old is not something you are going to be able to get inoculated against. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Signet Instruments
Sperry Loran A
Omega
Hand-wound chronometers
Toizaki sextants
Orange Helly-Hansen oilies
Hotpants
Post-race strippers at Chuck's Fort Lauderdale

I need another rum.

Hic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, VWAP said:

Go easy on him. He is really really really old and this place is all he has left

Still waiting to hear what kind of boat you have

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, usedtobeoldestsailor said:

Hey Wap, being old old old is not something you are going to be able to get inoculated against. 

He seems to have managed it.

Got his shots at about age 14 it would appear.

Certainly too young to be able to afford a sailboat anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

He seems to have managed it.

Got his shots at about age 14 it would appear.

Certainly too young to be able to afford a sailboat anyway.

Why are you so full of hate ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Plausible said:

Why are you so full of hate ?

Like most right wingers you are not literate enough to distinguish between hate and contempt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Like most right wingers you are not literate enough to distinguish between hate and contempt.

You start your sentence with "like" ...... and then you claim literacy ?    A typical Liberal / NDP'er  just full of hate .   No room for contempt  in your world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Land's End (when they were a wish-book for sailing gear instead of a mediocre clothes label), and Spyglass

Patagonia (when they were awesome offshore-suitable layers instead of expensive yuppie status-statement)

Oh, and lest we forget... the ubiquitous WP ("wet pleasure") pullover windbreakers!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sledracr said:

Land's End (when they were a wish-book for sailing gear instead of a mediocre clothes label), and Spyglass

Patagonia (when they were awesome offshore-suitable layers instead of expensive yuppie status-statement)

Oh, and lest we forget... the ubiquitous WP ("wet pleasure") pullover windbreakers!

I still have a 60’s Canor  Plarex yellow pullover...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bruno said:

Line 7

i have a set  - the white stuff - in amazingly good condition considering the age.

i was thinking of putting it on ebay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, us7070 said:

i have a set  - the white stuff - in amazingly good condition considering the age.

i was thinking of putting it on ebay

I gave a pair of Line 7 bottoms last winter to a mullet fishermen tenant of mine....I felt sorry for him as the big money is roe season which coincides with early cold fronts so it is cold and windy and they by law have to catch with cast nets...tough tough money

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2018 at 8:27 AM, SailBlueH2O said:

How did the Rolex of winches ,Barient, fall so far so fast ?

  IIRC : they were bought up by IMI (international marine industries)/Raul Gardini, who were running around buying up everyone making something marine. IMI also bought Lewmar slightly later. Lewmar had just moved into much more automated production and  Barient was abandoned and later sold off to Alexander-Roberts (ARCO). Likewise, PENGIUN Blocks/Buzz Boettcher was bought up & then discarded by IMI.

    Gardini got couht out in a giant financial scam & IMI dissolved

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, longy said:

sold off to Alexander-Roberts (ARCO).

Jeez, there's a brand that doesn't need to come back. 

Spent a long couple of weeks fairing Russian Wood (Turner 40) while it was still upside down in the shed.  Learned a lot about Nick Alexander.  When he asked me to help work up the boat for the 79 (?) Transpac, I declined.  Didn't turn down all that many jobs, but for him I decided I was... uh... "busy that day, whatever day it turns out to be".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites