Mid

2018 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race: The Race Committee has lodged a protest against Wild Oats XI

2 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Well I guess as long as Sqwark is happy that's all that matters.

No Scot is happy about you purse clutches as well. Keep those posts ticking over girls.

3 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

No Scot is happy about you purse clutches as well. Keep those posts ticking over girls.

Says someone with over 20,000 posts....

Please set an example for all of us to follow.....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

You say that like it actually means something WRT ethics and sportsmanship.

I point out that Trump and Shorten are also highly accomplished and successful people that have risen to the top both in business and in politics....

FKT

Shorten is successful in business? 

1 minute ago, Sidecar said:

Says someone with over 20,000 posts....

Pleas set an example for all of us to follow.....

Click. Another one. Hit a nerve did I princess?

I'm confused LB. Why would a bloke who earns his shekels instructing would be serious off shore sailors be so keen for us man bag types to forget about a rule breach in the countries premier yacht race and move on?

• Like 2
  • Downvote 2

Are you cunts still going on about this?  

And you have a go poms for whinging!  Fucks sake. :P

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

You say that like it actually means something WRT ethics and sportsmanship.

I point out that Trump and Shorten are also highly accomplished and successful people that have risen to the top both in business and in politics....

FKT

Can't resist.

tRump was never successful in business.  His father was a successful investor and a creative crook.  His offspring, including the fat orange one, were successful crooks, but never successful in business.  

And history will very likely judge tRump as the least successful president ever, easily replacing Buchanan, a proven fraud, and Nixon, a proven liar and cheat, at the very bottom.

I will now take it to PA.

1) CYCA fucked up by including a requirement (AIS TX) without any idea how to enforce except for "its a self regulated sport". That's completely fine, but in hindsight I think more care and detail is needed instead of a single line.

2) The reliability of tx and distance seems remarkably different in different boats.

3) WOXI fucked up by failing to transmit AIS and getting all precious when it was discovered and making themselves (thanks to MR their spokesman) end up looking like rich tossers who think they're above reading the rules. 

4) WoXI didn't get tossed as there was no valid protest lodged, from anyone. Harburg on BJ didn't want to look like a 'sore loser' and protest them correctly, so he slipped it into the press so at least everyone knew WoXI were in breach.

WoXI were in breach of the rules, and got off because self policing requires us to report our competitors, and by and large we feel 'dirty' protesting on a technicality (where the argument of whether an advantage was gained is not black and white)

So this really comes down to:

- if we all want the rules to be applied on the course cart blanche. "I saw it, I HAVE to protest it". Or:

-we want individuals to exercise their own belief set before protesting. "He didn't gain an advantage, so no harm done"

Normally, the first option is what most sports do. The second relies on the individual's belief set being rational and logical, that's not that common in a lot of humans. 

Both arguments have solid logical reasoning, both have flaws. 

Sucks being human doesn't it?

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Shorten is successful in business? 

Isn't running a union and crawling to the top a business?

FKT

1 minute ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

FKT

Oh absolutely.

Just now, shaggybaxter said:

Oh absolutely.

So my point stands - ethics and sportsmanship have no necessary overlap with being successful in business. IOW just because MR and the WOXI owners an demonstrate one means nothing WRT the other.

Just thought LB would like the comparison, seeing how fond he is of Shorten......

FKT

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Just thought LB would like the comparison, seeing how fond he is of Shorten......

FKT

I got it FKT.  I thought it was good :P

• Like 1

Gotta wonder what LB's motivation is ?

suspect it's simply trolling , something all agree he's very good at .

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

FKT

I guess a criminal organisation is a business. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shaggybaxter said:

1) CYCA fucked up by including a requirement (AIS TX) without any idea how to enforce except for "its a self regulated sport". That's completely fine, but in hindsight I think more care and detail is needed instead of a single line.

2) The reliability of tx and distance seems remarkably different in different boats.

3) WOXI fucked up by failing to transmit AIS and getting all precious when it was discovered and making themselves (thanks to MR their spokesman) end up looking like rich tossers who think they're above reading the rules. 

4) WoXI didn't get tossed as there was no valid protest lodged, from anyone. Harburg on BJ didn't want to look like a 'sore loser' and protest them correctly, so he slipped it into the press so at least everyone knew WoXI were in breach.

WoXI were in breach of the rules, and got off because self policing requires us to report our competitors, and by and large we feel 'dirty' protesting on a technicality (where the argument of whether an advantage was gained is not black and white)

Agree CYCA fucked up in multiple ways. When it comes to safety checks and radio transmissions and signal strengths, who does it? Not competitors. AIS should be CYCA responsibility. And it isn’t a matter of AIS just being “on” it has to be seen at least on the internet as a minimum requirement, which is the easiest way for anyone, anywhere, to check quickly, anytime they want.

CYCA were also in possession of publicly available information of the AIS transgression in good time and did nothing other than sabotage the incident.

Gutless wonders.

1 hour ago, paps49 said:

I'm confused LB. Why would a bloke who earns his shekels instructing would be serious off shore sailors be so keen for us man bag types to forget about a rule breach in the countries premier yacht race and move on?

If there was a rule breach their would have been a legitimate protest and a penalty applied. There hasn’t been and WOXI are the winners of the LH trophy this year. You guys remind me of the wankers at my club that protest at every opportunity, then bitch about it for months after when they lose. Even if they their AIS was not transmitting it made no difference. Sqwark told me that the big four stuck together like shit on a blanket this year because in his words no was was game to try anything. MR and the boys sailed a great race and deserve their win on the water.

What is bad for the sport is people that want to spread bad blood and go on about it like a broken fucking record. Plus, yes I am a shocking troll. WOXI’s high profile is good for the sport and my buisness. Leave the sporting bad news stories to football players who pull their cocks out in night clubs. But all this faux outrage and purse clutching is piss funny to watch. 

1 hour ago, Mid said:

Gotta wonder what LB's motivation is ?

suspect it's simply trolling , something all agree he's very good at .

My motivation is the same as it always has been. Ripping the piss out of wankers like you. Particularly ones that want to call people cheats from under their cloak of invisibility. Would you walk up to MR and replete the shit you have posted on here to his face? Of course you wouldn’t you cowardly little toad.  I have never hidden who I am on this site or any other. Then again you are a nobody on here and in the real world. 

• Like 1

“You haven’t won the race, if in winning the race you have lost the respect of your competitors”.

In the intervening time between Harburg’s claims and the protest being cited as invalid, it became clear that the AIS transponder was working before the start and not during the race. Richards apparently said at one point that it wasn’t required to be working (it was, and that was make quite clear through the sailing instructions and skippers’ meetings). Then it was claimed to be malfunctioning.

Of course, I don’t know the whole situation from this side of the world, but I know that trying to hide one’s position on the racecourse is a time-honored, rinky-dink tactic. From covering a stern light at night to misreporting a mid-race position, it’s been done as long as I can remember. And it’s always been the wrong thing to do. In today’s world and particularly in this race, knowing where all the boats are could save lives. And if it’s written into the rules, which it always is, position reporting is part of the race.

Harburg, the race committee and the protest committee should all be ashamed, taking the easy way out of this. If the AIS transponder was off (which seems to clear, and which surely EVERYBODY knew), it should be checked for malfunction. If it worked, they should be tossed. If it was malfunctioning, that should be made clear. Evading the issue with another time-honored tradition (“Oh, the protest wasn’t valid”) is perpetuating the problem.

There’s significant outrage in the racing community about this. Aussies are tough competitors, but pride themselves on playing games cleanly. I go back to the late Great Dane, Paul Elvstrom, for my take on this:

https://sailish.com/

2 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

My motivation is the same as it always has been. Ripping the piss out of wankers like you.

:lol:

your petticoat is showing darlin

8 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

Agree CYCA fucked up in multiple ways. When it comes to safety checks and radio transmissions and signal strengths, who does it? Not competitors. AIS should be CYCA responsibility. And it isn’t a matter of AIS just being “on” it has to be seen at least on the internet as a minimum requirement, which is the easiest way for anyone, anywhere, to check quickly, whenever they want.

CYCA were also in possession of publicly available information of the AIS transgression in good time and did nothing other than sabotage the incident.

Gutless wonders.

Why don’t you wander on down to rushctters and tell that to their face then? 

2 minutes ago, Mid said:

:lol:

your petticoat is showing darlin

Haven’t you got other threads to start? 

1 minute ago, LB 15 said:

Why don’t you wander on down to rushctters and tell that to their face then? 

They already have it in writing, several times, if you bother to look upthread.  Can’t they read either?

in good time darlin , just helping you to keep this one on top .

5 minutes ago, Mid said:

“You haven’t won the race, if in winning the race you have lost the respect of your competitors”.

https://sailish.com/

But you aren’t a competitor cup cake. You are just a key board warrior. 

up ya game sweetie 

1 minute ago, Mid said:

in good time darlin , just helping you to keep this one on top .

Ah the truth at last. Wifey not putting out mate? For you I mean.

1 minute ago, Mid said:

up ya game sweetie 

At least Randumb was entertaining. 

4 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

They already have it in writing, several times, if you bother to look upthread.  Can’t they read either?

Bother to read through 22 pages of the same tedious shit? God I would rather vote Labor! No thanks. Are you saying you have put your bitching in writing  to them? 

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

So my point stands - ethics and sportsmanship have no necessary overlap with being successful in business. IOW just because MR and the WOXI owners an demonstrate one means nothing WRT the other.

FKT

Apart from stealing another man’s wife and being a union puppet what has he achieved? Sex without seduction dosn’t count.

it's quite obvious that LB would like this issue to disappear .

and it should have been resolved well before this .

indeed , unsatisfying as it was the invalid ruling should have marked the end .

however

MR chose to throw gasoline on the fire and has since remained silent .

thus here we are .

• Like 1

LB, your spelling has suddenly become atrocious, Ruok? 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

20 minutes ago, paps49 said:

LB, your spelling has suddenly become atrocious, Ruok? 

No mate, just using my eye fone. My spelling has always sucked. Back in the day when I worked as a creative in the Ad game (I used to hand write all copy back then) my PA would start drinking at about 11 am each day.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mid said:

it's quite obvious that LB would like this issue to disappear .

and it should have been resolved well before this .

indeed , unsatisfying as it was the invalid ruling should have marked the end .

however

however nothing. It has been resolved you silly cunt. What planet are you on? Oats is back in its berth. The trophy is back on Hammo and MR is back at work. True you are still sitting in your dark little flat, pounding the keyboard with a vein throbbing on your forehead but the only thing you are likely to change is hands. 

And just to help your meltdown along...

Triumphant: Mark Richards hoists the J.H. Illingworth trophy after Wild Oats XI arrived in Hobart.

Entirely poor from all sides, not a good look for the event and AUS sailing

My non-sailing mates reckon its just a continuance of sailing aristocracy protecting it's own

2 minutes ago, DanimalNZ said:

My non-sailing mates reckon its just a continuance of sailing aristocracy protecting it's own

My non Kiwi mates reckon sheep are for shearing.

7 hours ago, Left Shift said:

I'd run with "Quixotic post-diluvian antipathy"  or something like that.  

I think common medical term is "Electromagnetic hypersensitivity"

4 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Was? Past tense?  

I did some microwave reading.

A microwave is an electromagnetic wave with a very short wavelength, between .039 inches (1 millimeter) and 1 foot (30 centimeters). Their short wavelengths make microwaves ideal for use in radio and television as they can transmit along a vast range of frequencies without causing signal interference or overlap.Unlike radio waves, microwave signals can be focused by antennas just as a searchlight concentrates light into a narrow beam. A vessels radar utililises shorter-wavelength microwaves to increase interaction with solid mass, even rain.

It would appear outside broadcasting is not the wild west and there are a number of regulatory mechanisms that govern it in so far as allocation of frequency bands and interference in the 2.0 & 2.2 GHz microwave bands for Portable Wireless Cameras and Helicopter /Aerial Relays (2GHz band only).

It seems microwave frequency planning is strictly co-ordinated with other licensed users in near vicinity on the day of an event to minimise risk of mutual interference to other legitimate microwave link operators. Like all communications in Australia this is controlled by ACMA, the same people who regulate marine radios, AIS's and issue vessel callsigns.

Whether portable cameras or helicopter  relays microwave transmission is done using auto tracking directional transmit and receive antennae.

A camera only equipped helicopter generally operate at altitudes between 500 and 1000 feet (150 - 300 metres). However a microwave relay helicopter typically operates at much higher altitudes of 2,000 to 5,000 feet (approx 600 to 1500 metres).

That distance of 2,000 to 5,000 feet would have to have been employed on the day over WOXI by the relay helicopter to maintain a line of sight with the Channel 7's Relay RX Tower. That altitude appears to me to be quite a distance for its microwave relay signal to interfere with anything?

Putting that aside as it is employing a auto tracking antenna to locate the RX Tower, what is the Helicopters Relay TX antenna doing pointing a narrow beam down at WOXI?

Similarly what is the Portable Camera's TX antenna doing pointing a narrow beam other than up at the Helicopter's RX?

The above information extracted from Australian Operational Practise OP 54. Outside Broadcasts for Events.

http://www.freetv.com.au/media/Engineering/OP_54_Outside_broadcast_requirements_for_major_long_distance_events_Issue_2_January_2015.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwigw9PK7d_fAhWJxrwKHXkXBscQFjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3YOcfiD0A7LwrA-LZki_ES

Next year the cameraman on WoXI will have one of these around his neck....

download.png.ad63ad07ad27c4d5be9c22ccf1e02a9f.png

The one for the chopper is a bit harder logistically.

Crickets...... Mumbles hasn't responded to my helpful email......think they have gone doggo.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

OK Eddie, the magazines empty, unless you have something to say, adios for another day.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 2

7 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Apart from stealing another man’s wife and being a union puppet what has he achieved? Sex without seduction dosn’t count.

If I took that up, I'd be attempting to find virtue in Shorten's career. I'm good with your earlier description of him as being successful in leading & growing a criminal business.

FKT

1 hour ago, shaggybaxter said:

Next year the cameraman on WoXI will have one of these around his neck....

download.png.ad63ad07ad27c4d5be9c22ccf1e02a9f.png

The one for the chopper is a bit harder logistically.

Shaggy you may have rethink that gunfight. The cameraman is the shooter, he is not a target. The only targets are the Helicopter and Channel 7's Relay RX Tower at Artarmon. 

Both really can't be confused with looking like a boat or located where you would find a boat.

images (2).jpeg

images (3).jpeg

I was thinking of the 'do not go without your nuts going all black and crispy' yellow circles on the navy ships.

I am troubleshooting a Telstra repeater at the moment speaking of neutering......got it tucked nicely between my legs. I hope the mastic tape is good.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

I am troubleshooting a Telstra repeater at the moment speaking of neutering......got it tucked nicely between my legs. 

So you're not just happy to see us then? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LB 15 said:

What have done with him? 

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Putting that aside as it is employing a auto tracking antenna to locate the RX Tower, what is the Helicopters Relay TX antenna doing pointing a narrow beam down at WOXI?

Similarly what is the Portable Camera's TX antenna doing pointing a narrow beam other than up at the Helicopter's RX?

It would not surprise me if the one helo was doing double duty as relay and camera mount. The amount of off-boat video was close to pathetic, and they clearly didn't have a continuous link. So quite possible the helo was low, and WOXI just happened to be in the line of sight to the receiver tower.  The beam width of the link probably isn't that tight. Say 20 degrees. So there is some reasonable likelihood that the beam could intersect an antenna at the top of a mast, or indeed the boat as a whole. Another amusing problem with antennas is that they are never quite perfect and you often get side lobes, so there are little narrow lobes of radiation that are not part of the main beam. They can easily be 90 degrees away from the main beam. They don't carry anything like the power of the main beam, but they will carry some, and can be a total nuisance.

The antennas used by the camera guys are not nearly as directional as those on the helos. They are typically a vertical rod that has a cone-like spread, pointing up. They can't fit any sort of highly directional or steered antenna, so they basically just point the signal into the sky. They rely in part on the gain of the relay helo's RX antenna to make up for this. 

It's getting awfully quiet out there, and here we are at the end of day 9 out of 7. Starting to really doubt we are going to get any sort of action out of MR. Not that I had much hope we would anyway.

14 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

I was thinking of the 'do not go without your nuts going all black and crispy' yellow circles on the navy ships.

Naval vessels can carry radar gear that really would fry your nuts. You would need to be stupid.

37 minutes ago, mad said:

What have done with him? 

Got him locked in the back shed in a gimp suit. 

38 minutes ago, Francis Vaughan said:

So quite possible the helo was low, and WOXI just happened to be in the line of sight to the receiver tower. 

That puts the helo below their mast and not in view of the RX tower as they re were close in shore next to Bradleys Head.

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

That puts the helo below their mast and not in view of the RX tower

Depends on the beam angle. 20 degrees is about as tight as I would imagine they would get - that needs a dish about 30cm across. So maybe they managed to illuminate WOXI. OTOH, you make a good point about the altitude of the tower. Not being a Sydneysider, I tend to forget how hilly it is.

See, some observers might think that the 16 pages (at the time but now 23 or more) of guff on SA on this subject was/is possibly one of the greatest wastes of human intelligence (?) and time to have ever occurred.  

But the discussing and debating atleast served the purpose  of slightly alleviating my mood and it even nearly put a wry smile (if only figuratively and for only an hour or so) on my then wet face when, as I was at the time attempting an offshore race and being already quite tired from the get go, and then, when the breeze came in and the waves popped up completely saturated, with the contents of the food cupboards rolling around on the floor and other associated Pooh flinging from the fan around the boat in all directions, I discovered that the VHF and AIS had become non operational.

The diagnosing and fixing of which I had to put down the list of things that needed sorting out as I had more urgent matters to address at that stage. 

But I nearly laughed (well, not really) as I wondered, in light of the WOXI S2H AIS controversy, what my SA “mates” would make of my non-compliant period of no AIS/ no VHF. 

I got those two things fixed up but I wonder if we’d carried on and had managed to finish and then someone had pointed out “hey, you weren’t transmitting on AIS (as required) for a period there, you should RAF”  what would have been the outcome. 

Id actually thought at the time we should contact race committee or someone possibly on mobile or Immersat (which was, as it turned out, supplied with a nearly flat or with a rastus battery and which I hadn’t tried recharging by that stage) to say “all ok here, but AIS and VHF out of action but I’m working on it” but figured I just wanted to get on with sorting out the problem and not stuff around. 

No doubt, probably a somewhat different scenario in that apparently WOXI could RX AIS but weren’t aware til after they had finished they weren’t Tx AIS. 

But still some of you guys do make me laugh- almost. 

At this stage I’m pretty sure even Brad Butterworth is over it. 

2 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

At this stage I’m pretty sure even Brad Butterworth is over it. 

Crew cheques have been banked and cleared, all over until next year.

52 minutes ago, LionIsland said:

But the discussing and debating atleast served the purpose  of slightly alleviating my mood and it even nearly put a wry smile..

Did you escape or were you let you out?

39 minutes ago, mad said:

Crew cheques have been banked and cleared, all over until next year.

Win bonus!

5 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Win bonus!

Maybe for the WOXI crew, but Richards is a self professed amateur, so he just gets a T-shirt.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mad said:

Maybe for the WOXI crew, but Richards is a self professed amateur, so he just gets a T-shirt.

I was referring to Butterworth & Spithills but it hurts my brain to post in this thread. 

1 hour ago, frant said:

Nah I think that this will become part of Australian folklore. The Dingo got my baby. The chopper fried my splitter

Catch up. It is already on the menu at KFC..."The Fried Splitter'. It will spread around the world, you watch.

3 hours ago, Francis Vaughan said:

Depends on the beam angle. 20 degrees is about as tight as I would imagine they would get - that needs a dish about 30cm across. So maybe they managed to illuminate WOXI. OTOH, you make a good point about the altitude of the tower. Not being a Sydneysider, I tend to forget how hilly it is.

So, even with a beam angle of 20 degrees inverse square law still applies so for a realistic distance between a chopper and a boat's not-very-directional VHF antenna, can enough power, watts at microwave frequencies, get conveyed down a VHF antenna cable to "fry" anything? Maybe yes if the electromagnetic radiation is coming from a military grade electromagnetic weapon designed to take out enemy comms, but is this a credible failure mechanism for a commercial, type-approved microwave frequency data link intended for peaceful non-military comms, where said microwaves are being accidentally "aimed" for a miniscule length of time at a VHF antenna and cable system which is optimized to VHF and designed to be insensitive to and indeed protected against marine radar and any other potentially interfering (including microwave) frequencies?

Marine radar is capable of very narrow beam width and transmits high powered microwave pulses which routinely intercept yacht VHF antennas. Non-military radars do not commonly damage yacht VHF/AIS systems. Why should a microwave data link "fry" a splitter when radar pulses don't?

47 minutes ago, staysail said:

Why should a microwave data link "fry" a splitter when radar pulses don't?

I don't think anything could possibly be fried in the physical damage meaning. I'm trying to be very generous. At absolute best all I can find plausible is a glitch that locked up the splitter's internal logic. In my game that does count as fried - in the "my brain is fried" meaning. One needs a few volts in the right (wrong) place, and no power dissipation is needed. But I think you do have a pretty clear idea of how generous I'm being.

Even with everything going for them in the excuse game, the helo would need to be pretty damned close. As you say, inverse square will wipe out 10dB of gain pretty swiftly.

Radar is an interesting matter. I don't think WOXI carries one (can't see any trace of one installed). Only needed for Cat 0. Getting a radar installation sorted would probably shake out some latent issues with the installation they have.  The fact that they claim their systems locked up, WiFi was lost, and they had to reboot stuff is both plausible and lends a little credence to MB's story. This mix of consumer level technology (WiFi, on board PCs etc) and marine stuff always worries me. There is a clear problem in the way these are integrated. One sees things like USB ports in nav gear that are not galvanicly isolated, and come with dire warnings they can cause anything from unreliable operation to system damage if grounding is not right. Seriously? Its this sort of problem that lets me give the story some little credence.

If we do allow them their excuse, it would be a lot of holes in the Swiss cheese all lining up. Doesn't say it didn't happen, but it helps to keep it in perspective.

56 minutes ago, Francis Vaughan said:

I don't think anything could possibly be fried in the physical damage meaning. I'm trying to be very generous. At absolute best all I can find plausible is a glitch that locked up the splitter's internal logic. In my game that does count as fried - in the "my brain is fried" meaning. One needs a few volts in the right (wrong) place, and no power dissipation is needed. But I think you do have a pretty clear idea of how generous I'm being.

Even with everything going for them in the excuse game, the helo would need to be pretty damned close. As you say, inverse square will wipe out 10dB of gain pretty swiftly.

Radar is an interesting matter. I don't think WOXI carries one (can't see any trace of one installed). Only needed for Cat 0. Getting a radar installation sorted would probably shake out some latent issues with the installation they have.  The fact that they claim their systems locked up, WiFi was lost, and they had to reboot stuff is both plausible and lends a little credence to MB's story. This mix of consumer level technology (WiFi, on board PCs etc) and marine stuff always worries me. There is a clear problem in the way these are integrated. One sees things like USB ports in nav gear that are not galvanicly isolated, and come with dire warnings they can cause anything from unreliable operation to system damage if grounding is not right. Seriously? Its this sort of problem that lets me give the story some little credence.

If we do allow them their excuse, it would be a lot of holes in the Swiss cheese all lining up. Doesn't say it didn't happen, but it helps to keep it in perspective.

I think you may be being overgenerous with the terminology too. "Crash" or "froze" might be a better term for a non-damaging lock-up of some logic, whereas "fried" has a rather more serious or terminal connotation, e.g. where a whiff of smoke accompanied the failure!

That aside I was not considering the effect of any radar system which the yacht might be carrying, but rather the effect of radars being used by passing ships. These pour out high power microwave pulses in narrow (concentrated) beam widths and these must frequently "illuminate" yacht VHF antennas and do not in my experience cause problems with VHF AIS systems on yachts.

Like you I find it perfectly plausible that a yacht AIS system might periodically crash or stop working simply due to faulty installation of other electronic systems on the affected yacht or a faulty part in the AIS system itself. It is the probability of physical damage being caused by someone using a normal commercial type-approved comms system outside the yacht and its crew, i.e. for example by a microwave data transmission from a nearby helicopter, which seems unlikely when these AIS systems routinely survive proximity to powerful ship radar systems with no adverse effects.

The very quick diagnosis of the cause of the problem and the quick and confident apportionment of blame to a 3rd party were things which I found a little surprising. That is why I was really hoping to learn definitively how the helicopter's transmission damaged the yacht's AIS. Maybe a technical report will eventually be made public as was reported in the press.

14 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

I think common medical term is "Electromagnetic hypersensitivity"

Or "Anti-deSitter Space gravitational repulsion"

5 hours ago, frant said:

To explain the Australian vernacular to the likes of Shanghai Sailor, who won’t see this anyway.

The Dingo got my baby= I am not guilty of the transgression.

The chopper fried my splitter= it was an inadvertent and inconsequential transgression.

The baggage handlers filled my boogie board bag with grass= someone else is responsible for the transgression.

‘There will be no carbon tax under my government’ - typical labor party lies.

The AIS incident has already passed into folk lore.

Steaming down past the Iron Pot yesterday and one of my mates was checking if I had left up town.

So he texted me " No AIS, check the splitter"

Perfect!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, staysail said:

The very quick diagnosis of the cause of the problem and the quick and confident apportionment of blame to a 3rd party were things which I found a little surprising.

Only a little? :) 

I'm not trying to defend MR here. I'm just being a geek, and having some fun doing a plausibility tear down. Mostly an intellectual exercise - if it were true that the helo did it - how did it happen?  

3 hours ago, LB 15 said:

No cuts to health, education or the ABC ring any bells?

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

30 minutes ago, Francis Vaughan said:

Only a little? :) 

I'm not trying to defend MR here. I'm just being a geek, and having some fun doing a plausibility tear down. Mostly an intellectual exercise - if it were true that the helo did it - how did it happen?  

yes, I am having a good intellectual laugh too!

3 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Er, John Howard in 1995:

"There's no way that a GST will ever be part of our policy... never ever, it's dead it was killed by the voters in the last election."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lydia said:

" No AIS, check the splitter"

How do I test an AIS splitter is working properly and not faulty. I've just fitted a A80058 AIS/VHF Easy Split 2nd Gen to my Matsutec class b transponder. The range was poor on the pushpit stubby aerial and expected much better performance using the splitter to share the masthead one. The range using the splitter seems to be about 5miles but if remove the splitter and use a direct connection to the masthead antenna I'm picking up vessels 40miles away.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?487838-Testing-an-AIS-splitter

50 minutes ago, nimbus said:

Er, John Howard in 1995:

"There's no way that a GST will ever be part of our policy... never ever, it's dead it was killed by the voters in the last election."

you're forgetting he went to an election saying he would introduce GST - and won

21 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

you're forgetting he went to an election saying he would introduce GST - and won

Doesn't make it any less of a lie.

PS: we should take this to PA.

1 hour ago, paps49 said:

No cuts to health, education or the ABC ring any bells?

"By 1990. no child in Australia will be living in poverty"- Robert James Lee Hawke

Image result for bob hawke

"Something my mum taught me years and years and years ago, is life's just too short to carry around a great bucket-load of anger and resentment and bitterness and hatreds and all that sort of stuff"- Kevin Rudd

Mr Rudd's speech reminded some in the audience of why they elected him leader.

10 minutes ago, nimbus said:

Doesn't make it any less of a lie.

PS: we should take this to PA.

2qrjsj.jpg

31 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

Pity that dick smoker Bent non-sailor never ventures out of PA. I could ask him again what party Maxine McKey stood for when that one term wonder, ABC lefty fucktard deprived the people of Benalong and Australia of our greatest ever Prime Minister.

• Like 3

"Let us start by treating women equally in our society, be them our sisters, our mothers, our co workers or our partners" - Bill Shorten

2qrlc5.jpg

2qrlj8.jpg