Mid

2018 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race: The Race Committee has lodged a protest against Wild Oats XI

7 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

Well by God man, get to it.

Related image

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Related image

And the sailing community, ever dedicated to supporting the feats of their heroes, turned out in their thousands to welcome the winner into port........

AKG1049552.jpg.8e83187c687aea1d59872291df5d080f.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, toad said:

So I hear WOXI won a big race, no protests were upheld but several basement dwelling dudes who always seem to be online 24/7 (read ex sailors) who also happen to be self proclaimed all knowing paragons of yachting virtue are STILL peeling back their foreskins and dribbling at each other in an attempt to climax first. Good luck boys.

Far as I can tell case is as closed as a Azaria's dingo would say in pre AIS days.

Would you like to apply to become one of my sock puppets? The pay isn’t great but what price do you put on a job well done? I have a position opening up soon.

34 minutes ago, toad said:

So I hear WOXI won a big race, no protests were upheld but several basement dwelling dudes who always seem to be online 24/7 (read ex sailors) who also happen to be self proclaimed all knowing paragons of yachting virtue are STILL peeling back their foreskins and dribbling at each other in an attempt to climax first. Good luck boys.

Far as I can tell case is as closed as a Azaria's dingo would say in pre AIS days.

See LB; that's what I'm talking about...

Good 'ol fashioned trolling like this. A guy's first post on the subject and he uses some interesting vulgarity, an Azaria reference and plays only the man and not the ball.

Like you he will make a great sycophant.

12 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

See LB; that's what I'm talking about...

Good 'ol fashioned trolling like this. A guy's first post on the subject and he uses some interesting vulgarity, an Azaria reference and plays only the man and not the ball.

Like you he will make a great sycophant.

Why do you think I invited him to join the movement? 

3 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Why do you think I invited him to join the movement? 

So you can both go for parts in a Gillette ad? ;)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

So you can both go for parts in a Gillette ad? ;)

Is Gillette the latest target that you sheep have been told to go after on facebook? So because I have identified you as being a sad little hater who wants to anonymously call people cheats on a forum, I must abuse women? Weird how you connect the two. Wait! Are you a chick? Explains your 'sand in the Vag' irritability. My apologies, I just thought you were a homo.

Again, my apologies.

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

They always good when they are not directed at you, lamb chop.

May the bluebird of happiness defecate on your cornflakes...

35 minutes ago, olaf hart said:

May the bluebird of happiness defecate on your cornflakes...

Or the more modern version, ‘May the NRL team of your choosing make a short film with your sister.’ 

Mine you can use in polite company. 

45 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Is Gillette the latest target that you sheep have been told to go after on facebook? So because I have identified you as being a sad little hater who wants to anonymously call people cheats on a forum, I must abuse women? Weird how you connect the two. Wait! Are you a chick? Explains your 'sand in the Vag' irritability. My apologies, I just thought you were a homo.

Again, my apologies.

That more like it LB. 

Stick to plain insults though because as Ive said of you, solid argument isn’t your strongpoint.

Read my posts and you’ll see I complimented them on their performance and I’ve never accused them of cheating.

Their performance off the water with flaky explanations as well as Gladwell’s cock eyed reporting makes me curious about the whole affair. 

Re the Gillett ad ... no no no , you missed my point, you were the once bullied schoolboy. Oh dear I’m so sorry LB.

18 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Or the more modern version, ‘May the NRL team of your choosing make a short film with your sister.’ 

Mine you can use in polite company. 

My sisters only dated Rugby players, something about being good in a ruck...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

I’ve never accused them of cheating.

Their performance off the water with flaky explanations as well as Gladwell’s cock eyed reporting makes me curious about the whole affair. 

If you are ‘Curious’ I am sure you can find places that cater for that, what you are doing is calling them cheats, ‘flaky explanations’ is just a homo way of saying it. 

Look- it’s almost February. Only a few months until Gladstone. We will all be glued to our AIS, protest forms at the ready.

If the boys did turn it off perhaps it was a form of ‘civil disobedience’ against a stupid and unnecessary requirement? We don’t need no more stinking rules!

If so, they should be lorded as heroes, made of the same stuff that our pioneer forefathers were. The type that rebelled against oppression by the ruling classes from the big end of town and quietly defied the oppressors. 

Bravo! What fine Australians! Maybe an OBE next weekend is in order.

7D62DC02-7842-45D5-9944-E11C921D50E7.jpeg

9C6F1814-BA3F-4D02-A502-3CD9FF668A10.png

15 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

If you are ‘Curious’ I am sure you can find places that cater for that, what you are doing is calling them cheats, ‘flaky explanations’ is just a homo way of saying it. 

Look- it’s almost February. Only a few months until Gladstone. We will all be glued to our AIS, protest forms at the ready.

If the boys did turn it off perhaps it was a form of ‘civil disobedience’ against a stupid and unnecessary requirement? We don’t need no more stinking rules!

If so, they should be lorded as heroes, made of the same stuff that our pioneer forefathers were. The type that rebelled against oppression by the ruling classes from the big end of town and quietly defied the oppressors. 

If a Volvo race competitor’s AIS went down you could be sure the competitor boats and the public would want to know why with a believable and provable explanation from the skipper.

i see nothing wrong with that.

1 minute ago, Trickypig said:

If a Volvo race competitor’s AIS went down you could be sure the competitor boats and the public would want to know why with a believable and provable explanation from the skipper.

B521CA09-5EDE-4ACF-A61C-D971B75E6C5A.jpeg

watch out cunting ham, them homos are a’coming for ya with their AIS switched off, 

I am not paying for that one. Lift your game son!

28 minutes ago, toad said:

watch out cunting ham, them homos are a’coming for ya with their AIS switched off, 

There’s quality stupid for you

1 hour ago, toad said:

Let me guess you were that naked guy who became stuck in a washing machine. 

8 hours ago, savoir said:

More important is the absence of any reference to the AIS system failure in the WO post race declaration.

This.

Would have been a very short thread had the ais issue been declared.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

This.

Would have been a very short thread had the ais issue been declared.

Instead it's a herpes thread...

3 hours ago, LB 15 said:

LB I'm curious why you have so much skin in this game, you didn't until recently seem the "fan boy" type? Why do you care what peeps think of WOXI and MR's actions?

Also could you please clarify what your actual position is?

a. Their AIS was actually on so no issue.

b. Their AIS was off but it doesn't matter.

c. WOXI can do whatever they like because they are so important.

And you are also mistaken about all the rage occurring here amongst the fab 5 homo lefties. This from WOXI's Facebook page....

"I agree mate. Shit sportsmanship. Straight shooting ain’t richos style. Win at all cost, fuck the rules, I wouldn’t like to play a round of golf with the cheat."

7 hours ago, LB 15 said:

The only evidence taken from this tread will be for a deformation case. 

Ending up with a deformed suitcase is operator error.

tenor.gif

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LB 15 said:

"a stupid and unnecessary requirement? We don’t need no more stinking rules!"

So that is why you are such a supporter of certain boats?  You want to write your own rules? Play with, sorry, by yourself!

3 hours ago, Trickypig said:

Trickypig, you are so right except the first people who would want to know why would be the RC, and trust me they were not so gutless as some others. n

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Instead it's a herpes thread...

Fuck this place is a gold mine. Richo's got herpes. How do you know...no forget that.

• Like 1

The insanity is what should be celebration of a great race and WOXI's achievement has been blown up by WOXI themselves and by the RC. 

What did WOXI think demanding public apologies and stating AIS should never have been a race provision was going to do? 

Where did the RC think making a protest that would be automatically deemed invalid was going to lead to?

People have been left with just two explanations now. Are this lot complete dumb fucks or they arrogant to the extreme? Some may suggest both.

tenor.gif

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, paps49 said:

LB I'm curious why you have so much skin in this game, you didn't until recently seem the "fan boy" type? Why do you care what peeps think of WOXI and MR's actions?

Also could you please clarify what your actual position is?

a. Their AIS was actually on so no issue.

b. Their AIS was off but it doesn't matter.

c. WOXI can do whatever they like because they are so important.

And you are also mistaken about all the rage occurring here amongst the fab 5 homo lefties. This from WOXI's Facebook page....

"I agree mate. Shit sportsmanship. Straight shooting ain’t richos style. Win at all cost, fuck the rules, I wouldn’t like to play a round of golf with the cheat."

I am simply trolling for pleasure. Being a bit lazy in fact - this thread is full of low hanging fruit so I have been enjoying how easy it is. I really should go find a more difficult thread. I am just enjoying the pain that Queensland’s 1-2 in line honours in this race is giving you all. The fact that WOXI from Queensland just beat BlackJack from Queensland to win is too much for you guys to handle. Even on IRC is was Alive from Queensland just pipping WOX from Queensland. Oh yes folks, it is a great time to be a Queenslander, don’t you worry about that. 

Now to your questions...

a. Wouldn’t have a clue.

b. Couldn’t give a fuck

c. If you like.

29 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Oh yes folks, it is a great time to be a Queenslander, don’t you worry about that. 

Queenslanders like you and Random have it made...

CgChtbbXEAAFtz5.jpg

44 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

I am simply trolling for pleasure. Being a bit lazy in fact - this thread is full of low hanging fruit so I have been enjoying how easy it is. I really should go find a more difficult thread. I am just enjoying the pain that Queensland’s 1-2 in line honours in this race is giving you all. The fact that WOXI from Queensland just beat BlackJack from Queensland to win is too much for you guys to handle. Even on IRC is was Alive from Queensland just pipping WOX from Queensland. Oh yes folks, it is a great time to be a Queenslander, don’t you worry about that. 

Now to your questions...

a. Wouldn’t have a clue.

b. Couldn’t give a fuck

c. If you like.

Isn't Alive a Hobart boat? Might be wrong, just asking

Like your answers though. Be sad if generally that level of disinterest migrated to the race itself in future though

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Yes Tamanian. It is only stored in Qld. WOXI sail S2H under RPYC a NSW club so LB is wrong and only Qld boat was BJ. He knows that and is in wind up mode

23 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Yes Tamanian. It is only stored in Qld. WOXI sail S2H under RPYC a NSW club so LB is wrong and only Qld boat was BJ. He knows that and is in wind up mode

Have they moved Hamilton island down to NSW have they? I thought it only became Sydney’s most northern suburb for one week a year? 

Queenslanders the lot of them! 

Go you good things!

30 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Alive lives in Qld, the skipper lives in Qld and it does all the local races. I bet if you tested the water in it’s tanks you would find it’s.....wait. Oh Never mind.

QUEENSLANDER!

19BBB979-8162-41C8-A6C1-AA2A026879F3.jpeg

One last question LB.

Do they offer sail training on WOXI Island.

1 hour ago, shanghaisailor said:

Like your answers though. Be sad if generally that level of disinterest migrated to the race itself in future though

And E Gads, that how he earns a coin.

52 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

QUEENSLANDER!

19BBB979-8162-41C8-A6C1-AA2A026879F3.jpeg

You can scrape the barrel if you want.

I'll just keep posting cream.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzTCNRYDcVot-3gZwwLIv

Now there's a quality Queenslander! Interesting jersey.....

43 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Richo's looks like one of those "pay now - die later" undertaker salesman. 

Well, he hasn't done sportsmanship any favours......

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Ending up with a deformed suitcase is operator error.

tenor.gif

Where do you find this shit ?  Maybe i dont wanna know

I'm reading about AIS use in yacht racing and came across an interview by Richard Gladwell with Bouwe Bekking and Ian Walker about the bunching in the Volvo race.

Gladwell writes: "At the skippers media conference following Leg 4, two factors were identified – the one design and AIS (Automatic Identification System)"

Bouwe goes onto say to Gladwell:"... I think AIS has a big impact because everyone is just looking at it. On the last leg, everyone was just watching AIS waiting for someone to move and take the northern course option, and in the end we left it too late." "Sometimes you are making decisions just based on looking at the AIS."

Ian Walker says to Gladwell of AIS in tactics:  "AIS is having a big impact,’ Walker added.

There many articles about the use of AIS by tacticians suffice to say that on those races where transmission is compulsory the AIS becomes a primary tool for the tactician. 

Yet Gladwell still has the gall to type in the recent article about WOXI's win: "It should be noted that AIS is a system to alert other vessels of other craft in the area. It is a safety feature, not a surveillance tool." 

Gladwell is duplicitous to state this or he thinks Bekking and Walker don't know what they're talking about.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, paps49 said:

One last question LB.

Do they offer sail training on WOXI Island.

I think Sunsail ( now owned by Whitsunday rent a wreak ) still operate their school from the island.  

11 hours ago, paps49 said:

And E Gads, that how he earns a coin.

From offshore racing. Bwahahahahahaha. About 2% of my customers have doing a Hobart race as being there goal, the vast majority want to learn how to go cruising. Even in our SSSC courses, the cruisers out number the boy racers by 4 to 1. So while you clutch your purses in despair at how your tiny , elitist part of the sport of sailing is in trouble the activity of sail cruising has never been stronger, with record number of recreational boat registrations and all RYA schools are doing record business. If all offshore racing ceased tomorrow, my buisness would not change one iota. What amuses me is how you all wring your hands in despair at the state of your sport, while attacking the one high profile boat that actually brings more outside eyes to the sport than any other boat in the country. 

The only place bucking the trend in the decline in offshore racing is Queensland. Our racers continue to grow, Hamilton island race week is the bench mark for race weeks worldwide and the two top 100’s in the country hail from this great state. Little wonder that Queensland went 1-2 in the overall as well. 

Didums you are the one attacking the race not me.

7 minutes ago, 10thTonner said:

image.png.dcfcc5c5fac7170740da3f9a955ade3d.png

Is that Ben Johnson? Fuck - are you now comparing MR to a darkie?

40 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

From offshore racing. Bwahahahahahaha. About 2% of my customers have doing a Hobart race as being there goal, the vast majority want to learn how to go cruising. Even in our SSSC courses, the cruisers out number the boy racers by 4 to 1. So while you clutch your purses in despair at how your tiny , elitist part of the sport of sailing is in trouble the activity of sail cruising has never been stronger, with record number of recreational boat registrations and all RYA schools are doing record business. If all offshore racing ceased tomorrow, my buisness would not change one iota. What amuses me is how you all wring your hands in despair at the state of your sport, while attacking the one high profile boat that actually brings more outside eyes to the sport than any other boat in the country. 

The only place bucking the trend in the decline in offshore racing is Queensland. Our racers continue to grow, Hamilton island race week is the bench mark for race weeks worldwide and the two top 100’s in the country hail from this great state. Little wonder that Queensland went 1-2 in the overall as well. 

Didums you are the one attacking the race not me.

Mmm so you don't bother teaching the rules then.

2 minutes ago, paps49 said:

AIS isn’t in the ‘rules’ it was in the SI’s. See - I just taught you...

2 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

AIS isn’t in the ‘rules’ it was in the SI’s. See - I just taught you...

The Rules of Sailing contain a section on SI's and forms of protest that RCs may conduct regarding SIs.

8 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Some posters just come here for the trolling.

This thread was very useful given all the posters who've lent their knowledge to the issue. 

I've yet to navigate a race using AIS tactically but those heading north from Sydney will probably be most interesting for tactics. (As interesting as approaching Tasman light at night.)

There's always that quandary of heading in or out of the set, in for the land breeze at night during highs and knowing what your rivals are doing. It may even be useful to have the polars of other boats to hand when getting an understanding of the conditions they may have.

I don't know how the RC's can ensure the rule is met; I always thought that's where the thread would head but as always in SA there will be a spoiler troll.

• Like 1

The Rules of Sailing contain a section on SI's and forms of protest that RCs may conduct regarding SIs.

Obviously the CYCA RC and you haven’t read them. As gator would say - you have been schooled again.

2 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

Some posters just come here for the trolling.

This thread was very useful given all the posters who've lent their knowledge to the issue. 

I've yet to navigate a race using AIS tactically but those heading north from Sydney will probably be most interesting for tactics. (As interesting as approaching Tasman light at night.)

There's always that quandary of heading in or out of the set, in for the land breeze at night during highs and knowing what your rivals are doing. It may even be useful to have the polars of other boats to hand when getting an understanding of the conditions they may have.

I don't know how the RC's can ensure the rule is met; I always thought that's where the thread would head but as always in SA there will be a spoiler troll.

So you have nothing new to add so you just keep repeating what so many others have already posted in this thread. Personally I have read nothing in this thread about AIS that I didn’t already know (I teach it you see) but I am glad that you now know something about it. Obviously not about it’s range but it’s a start anyway.

Just now, LB 15 said:

Obviously the CYCA RC and you haven’t read them. As gator would say - you have been schooled again.

Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 9.35.06 am.png

5 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

So you have nothing new to add so you just keep repeating what so many others have already posted in this thread. Personally I have read nothing in this thread about AIS that I didn’t already know (I teach it you see) but I am glad that you now know something about it. Obviously not about it’s range but it’s a start anyway.

You see this is your fallacious argument style. You state something of a poster as a fact ( when it is not their position or they haven't said it) then damn a them for it. Like stating that I said they cheated or my repeating what everyone else has said.

It's dishonourable.

You are a troll in your worse moments LB.

2 hours ago, Trickypig said:

I'm reading about AIS use in yacht racing and came across an interview by Richard Gladwell with Bouwe Bekking and Ian Walker about the bunching in the Volvo race.

Gladwell writes: "At the skippers media conference following Leg 4, two factors were identified – the one design and AIS (Automatic Identification System)"

Bouwe goes onto say to Gladwell:"... I think AIS has a big impact because everyone is just looking at it. On the last leg, everyone was just watching AIS waiting for someone to move and take the northern course option, and in the end we left it too late." "Sometimes you are making decisions just based on looking at the AIS."

Ian Walker says to Gladwell of AIS in tactics:  "AIS is having a big impact,’ Walker added.

There many articles about the use of AIS by tacticians suffice to say that on those races where transmission is compulsory the AIS becomes a primary tool for the tactician. 

Yet Gladwell still has the gall to type in the recent article about WOXI's win: "It should be noted that AIS is a system to alert other vessels of other craft in the area. It is a safety feature, not a surveillance tool." 

Gladwell is duplicitous to state this or he thinks Bekking and Walker don't know what they're talking about.

Yeah, we get it. BJ needed to follow WOXI earlier to because Butters & Addis couldn’t come up with the same route on their own. :D

5 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

You see this is your fallacious argument style. You state something of a poster as a fact ( when it is not their position or they haven't said it) then damn a them for it. Like stating that I said they cheated or my repeating what everyone else has said.

It's dishonourable.

You are a troll in your worse moments LB.

You have indeed intimidated that they have cheated, you just you homo terms to do it. And as for tactical advantage blah blah blah, look for less current blah blah blah more wind blah blah...if an original thought crossed your mind it would be a lonely journey. 

Just now, LB 15 said:

You have indeed intimidated that they have cheated, you just you homo terms to do it. And as for tactical advantage blah blah blah, look for less current blah blah blah more wind blah blah...if an original thought crossed your mind it would be a lonely journey. 

Stick to teaching cruising LB, it's a good idea you have there.

Will there be a change to the SI's this year requiring proof of AIS tx before and during the race (not sure how) much like HFs ....

And a defined penalty for non-compliance

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

Will there be a change to the SI's this year requiring proof of AIS tx before and during the race (not sure how) much like HFs ....

And a defined penalty for non-compliance

Could be. Only really a concern if you plan on entering a super maxi & coming 2nd though. 

24 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Yeah, we get it. BJ needed to follow WOXI earlier to because Butters & Addis couldn’t come up with the same route on their own. :D

Its not about the boats,  its about the rules......

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

I dunno if you meant that as a joke or not... BJ was quicker in the light than WOXI so tactically they did need to follow WOXI earlier.

The Tennis court was about to stick in the light and WOXI was the boat to beat. 

No doubt they had the shits that they couldn't see WOXIs numbers and got caught out at Tasman Light. In fact as we all know they mentioned the lack of AIS on WOXI.

11 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

I dunno if you meant that as a joke or not... BJ was quicker in the light than WOXI so tactically they did need to follow WOXI earlier.

The Tennis court was about to stick in the light and WOXI was the boat to beat. 

No doubt they had the shits that they couldn't see WOXIs numbers and got caught out at Tasman Light. In fact as we all know they mentioned the lack of AIS on WOXI.

So WOXI made a great tactical move and you think it is unfair that the next boat can't copy it. And BJ is faster in the light. You know this from your vast experience of sailing on both boats do you? You are really throwing teddy in the sand now mate. 'Its so unfair! BJ would have won if WOXI hadn't cheated!' If your Aunt had balls she would be your Uncle cupcake.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Its not about the boats,  its about the rules......

Image result for baby crying

Ready about!

The organising authority, in its wisdom, has decided to require AIS  to be on AND working during the race.  The question is, should failure to comply be a strict liability offence?  That is - "your AIS stopped transmitting (whether at Bradley's Head or the Iron Pot), so you are out of the race".  Or should there be an available defence - "we didn't know it had stopped working", or "yes it stopped working but there was nothing we could do about it".

For an analogy, look at the HF requirement.  It MUST be working at Green Cape for the boat to continue racing, but if the HF shits itself off Schouten Passage, and that is no fault of the crew, simply stating that in the post race declaration will almost certainly result in no penalty.

Is every boat required to carry redundancy for every item of "essential" equipment?  

You are required to carry a storm jib and trysail also, but if one of those becomes ripped you aren't tossed for non-compliance.

Our life raft was ripped from its mounts one year (smashing a 1/2" armoured glass window on its way) - it wedged under the lower lifelines and we were able to recover it, but had it been lost, I'm pretty sure we would have been given a result anyway.

In this case, the theme of this thread postulates that WOXI's "failure" was not accidental but tactical.  That is probably correct, but I just want to consider the theoretical situation where such a failure occurs beyond the reasonable control of the crew.  What SHOULD the outcome be in that case?

• Like 1

Come on girls - only 9 pages and we will have past the real race thread. We can do this!

Make Mid proud of his thread. 

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

the cruisers out number the boy racers by 4 to 1

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

the one high profile boat that actually brings more outside eyes to the sport

You're right LB, number don't lie, they're doing a fantastic job. Us mere cruiser/racers that take out and invest time and effort in punters, we should just give up.  

Must be a humdinger of a Bimini.

Just now, LB 15 said:

So WOXI made a great tactical move and you think it is unfair that the next boat can't copy it. And BJ is faster in the light. You know this from your vast experience of sailing on both boats do you? You are really throwing teddy in the sand now mate. 'Its so unfair! BJ would have won if WOXI hadn't cheated!' If your Aunt had balls she would be your Uncle cupcake.

Fuck you're an idiot. Too busy trolling to read the thread?

The boys on WOXI said on several occasions BJ was faster in the light.

A level playing field is where everyone has the same information if it's mandated; it's really not very hard to understand LB but troll away if it amuses you.

None of that is accusing WOXI of cheating. I would like to hear from the technician who swapped out the fried AIS splitter when they hit the dock or hear from the skipper as to why his boat wasn't race compliant.

2 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Ready about!

The organising authority, in its wisdom, has decided to require AIS  to be on AND working during the race.  The question is, should failure to comply be a strict liability offence?  That is - "your AIS stopped transmitting (whether at Bradley's Head or the Iron Pot), so you are out of the race".  Or should there be an available defence - "we didn't know it had stopped working", or "yes it stopped working but there was nothing we could do about it".

For an analogy, look at the HF requirement.  It MUST be working at Green Cape for the boat to continue racing, but if the HF shits itself off Schouten Passage, and that is no fault of the crew, simply stating that in the post race declaration will almost certainly result in no penalty.

Is every boat required to carry redundancy for every item of "essential" equipment?  

You are required to carry a storm jib and trysail also, but if one of those becomes ripped you aren't tossed for non-compliance.

Our life raft was ripped from its mounts one year (smashing a 1/2" armoured glass window on its way) - it wedged under the lower lifelines and we were able to recover it, but had it been lost, I'm pretty sure we would have been given a result anyway.

In this case, the theme of this thread postulates that WOXI's "failure" was not accidental but tactical.  That is probably correct, but I just want to consider the theoretical situation where such a failure occurs beyond the reasonable control of the crew.  What SHOULD the outcome be in that case?

The smart thing to do is to drop AIS. Who needs it? Changes the game too much and is completely unnecessary. 

• Like 1

Just now, LB 15 said:

The smart thing to do is to drop AIS. Who needs it? Changes the game too much and is completely unnecessary. 

AMAZING!

You made a contribution.

AMAZING!

You made a contribution.

I have been saying that for the past 27 pages. Well that and a little recreational trolling...

3 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

The boys on WOXI said on several occasions BJ was faster in the light.

But they said that their AIS was transmitting as well but you don't believe that.

What can you believe?

Not at all a stupid suggestion.  Anyone know why the OA decided to adopt it in the first place?  AIS becoming cheap and ubiquitous perhaps, and therefore additional safety without much of an impost?  How much additional safety does it provide?  Clearly it muddies the waters ...

7 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

I can't believe I'm going to fucking agree with you... but I agree.

But they said that their AIS was transmitting as well but you don't believe that.

What can you believe?

Very good question.

(agreeing again fuck it)

5 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Not at all a stupid suggestion.  Anyone know why the OA decided to adopt it in the first place?  AIS becoming cheap and ubiquitous perhaps, and therefore additional safety without much of an impost?  How much additional safety does it provide?  Clearly it muddies the waters ...

It may well have been AMSA. When I was organizing the Keppel Race we had all kinds of issues with them. They didn't want competitors using sat phones instead of HF because they wanted a continuous open line of communication with the whole fleet. They were blown away when I told them we all switch of our HF's the minute the skeds are over. They asked for compulsory monitoring of HF from Double island point to sandy cape. I pointed out that there would be massive non compliance and the RC and Kordia had better things to do than do random HF calls to competitors just to try and catch someone out. Like AIS, you couldn't prove they weren't listening just because they didn't answer. If you can not police a rule then don't have it. Don't get me wrong, AMSA are generally great to deal with, but some of them have a fairly narrow field of experience in water users and that does not include life aboard a small racing yacht. As I said before, the reliance that many people now put on AIS is terrifying. Like GPS, chart plotters and PLB'S if you cant go offshore without an AIS, then you shouldn't be out there. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Ready about!

Mentioning the failure on the post race declaration should result in no disadvantage.  Not mentioning it should invoke a 20%time penalty. Purposely turning it off should get you flicked.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LB 15 said:

They were blown away when I told them we all switch of our HF's the minute the skeds are over. 

:lol:

Hilarious!