Mid

2018 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race: The Race Committee has lodged a protest against Wild Oats XI

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Savoir please don't confuse this one answer out of two answers (the second I have yet to provide) to one question that @Feilberg raised about WOXI's knowledge of a AIS TX failure on the race course or not.

This one potential answer involving WOXI's ability OR inability (no one knows) to use the fixed VHF to comply with SI 43.2 that states; "When Tasman Island bears 000° True each boat shall call "HOBART RACE CONTROL" on VHF 81 and advise its rounding time and ETA at the finish (40.3 nautical miles)." to a Duplex VHF Repeater (Channel 81) some 10nm distant that also has a seperate AIS Repeater that WOXI alone of all 100 footers never recieved a AIS TX.

For those who don't understand how VHF Voice Duplex Repeaters work by extending the distance of a transmitted signal by repeating it. When you press the transmit (Tx) button on the microphone, the outgoing signal "cracks" the Repeater from "sleep mode". The Repeater opens for a predetermined period (about 30 seconds) and then closes down until reactivated by again pressing the Tx button. This is entirely different to Simplex channels like Channel 16. If you can't contact a Repeater by either having a VHF which is underpowered or has some form of antenna degradation you will not first "crack" the Repeater and even if you do have your message possibly "snipped" unless you receive an acknowledgement, in WOXI's case the RC. The only two parties on planet earth that know that exactly are the RC and WOXI and 100 footers in that postcode at the same time.

This is the start point for any evaluation of WOXI's claims about joint VHF/AIS antenna degradation as outlined in the Sails Magazine article as rounding Tasman Light is the first mandatory use of VHF as per the SI's. Sails Mag FebMarch 2019_WOXI AIS.pdf

You then have to literally construct a "Flow Chart with Timeline" to understand what actually occured and I believe cannot be disputed based entirely what is on the public record, plus some background I won't be divulging.

I'm getting around to that "Flow Chart" and it will be the subject of my Submission to the CYCA in response to their invitation about the use of AIS in the 2018 S2H.

Why do I bother some may ask? Mainly because the world is looking on at this "catastrofuck" in race administration (many who are trying to bury) and they are grappling with the concept of mandatory AIS activation and do the RRS/Offshore Regs modified or otherwise still fit?  Rolex as just one of those parties for are looking on with interest to see how the CYCA respond to Submissions recieved.

I will post a linky here of my Submission. So as to @Feilberg suggesting I have "no balls" he is going to be sadly fucking disappointed. My guess is he won't be posting his Submission here, if indeed he makes one along the lines of the horseshit put up here to date. Would be the laughing stock of every Offshore Club on planet earth.

Question then is does my Submission say the "Butler Did It" or not? You are going to have to wait sports fans. That aside I will give you the second answer shortly to how do I know my AIS TX is working, which will surprise many, including it seems Ricko and FeelMyselfVigorously.

"  . . . . the world is looking . . . . " Um, er, not quite.

This one potential answer involving WOXI's ability OR inability (no one knows) to use the fixed VHF to comply with SI 43.2 that states; "When Tasman Island bears 000° True each boat shall call "HOBART RACE CONTROL" on VHF 81 and advise its rounding time and ETA at the finish (40.3 nautical miles)." to a Duplex VHF Repeater (Channel 81) some 10nm distant that also has a seperate AIS Repeater that WOXI alone of all 100 footers never recieved a AIS TX.

I should have probably mentioned for anyone hooked into a 10 nautical mile distance from the Mt Raoul Repeater for WOXI's VHF transmissions and maybe doing detailed VHF TX calcs it actually extends far beyond that 10 nm with reference to the SI 43.3 and 43.4. Maybe understanding how that Repeater on Duplex Channel 81 on Mt Raoul actually works where it needs to be "cracked" by a  TX as described above helps also in conjunction. If not see note below with further explanation.

You can by these pics the Mt Raoul Repeater at a elevation of 461m is the only Repeater in the Storm Bay and Hobart area that accepts a VHF TX on Duplex Channel 81 as per the SI's. Then have regard for SI 43.3 that places the entrance to the Derwent River (the "Pot") some 20 nautical distant or twice the distance of the first mandatory VHF TX of 10 nautical mile when rounding the Tasman Island in accord with SI 43.2. The third at the Finish Line in accord with SI 43.4 even more distant from that Repeater. 

43.3 At the entrance to the Derwent River, each boat shall call "HOBART RACE CONTROL" on VHF 81, and advise an updated ETA at the finish (11 nautical miles).

43.4 FINISHING REPORT – Boats shall report to “Hobart Finish Line” on VHF 81 immediately after clearing the line for berthing instructions and shall report the flying of a protest flag (if applicable) at this time.

I'm starting to feel as though I'm feeding the chooks here :)

http://www.rolexsydneyhobart.com/media/3438679/rshyr-si-final.pdf

Note: A Duplex Channel like C81 means they receive and transmit on different frequencies even though they are on the same channel. This means that even if you are standing next to another radio, they can't hear your direct transmission if you are on a duplex channel, because you are transmitting on frequency "A" while they are receiving on frequency "B". This is where Repeaters come in like the one at Mt Raoul using C81. Repeating stations do more than just boost a signal and send it on. They receive your frequency "A" and re-transmit your signal on frequency "B". Hope that makes sense.

851140097_MtRaoulVHFRepeaterCh81.jpg.d9abe5af06e357323ad79235d070c72d.jpg

Mt Raoul VHF Repeater Ch 81_The Pot Distance.jpg

SE Tasmania Repeater Network.jpg

12 minutes ago, savoir said:

I can assure you it gets even worse but then maybe something from left field?

6 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

And a fresh protest not based upon compliance with SI 11.4 

http://www.rolexsydneyhobart.com/media/3438889/ccf29122018.pdf

Wow!  Many new pages and still no @LB 15?  Gramp's head is going to explode when the (self-imposed) banishment expires.  His socks seem to be doing well however!

And Jack, who exactly are you protesting for what now?

17 minutes ago, Wess said:

And Jack, who exactly are you protesting for what now?

Wheezer I'm protesting no one other than protesting about any idiotic/lazy posts. If you mean a protest not based upon compliance with SI 11.4, as the one lodged by the RC and deemed invalid, then read up thread. I'm not your PA.

Well ain't nobody going to file that one re 11.4.  It was fun to annoy LB but its over till next year when MR says and does new stupid sh*t.  Do carry on though.  Fun read.

11 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

I can assure you it gets even worse but then maybe something from left field?

I'm not too sure the guys in left field are looking either.

Surely this award goes to__________________________________________________!!!!!

Dead Horse.jpg

Crikey is this thread still going?????????????????????

The horse meat must be very tender by now.;)

This thread will never die it will rise like a zombie each year. I expect we will have more fodder come Southport when CYCA revise the AIS requirements. New wording which might actually be enforceable. No doubt we will have to prove operating and being received as a race entry condition.   

58 minutes ago, SloopJohnB said:

That's how the Chinese prepare a dog. Hang it in a bag (dead usually) beat the crap out of it, singe over an open flame to remove the hair then cook as you wish.

I chose the vegetarian option which was very unusual for me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Surely this award goes to__________________________________________________!!!!!

Dead Horse.jpg

1 hour ago, SloopJohnB said:

58 minutes ago, Rawhide said:

This thread will never die it will rise like a zombie each year. I expect we will have more fodder come Southport when CYCA revise the AIS requirements. New wording which might actually be enforceable. No doubt we will have to prove operating and being received as a race entry condition.   

Some of you guys are going to be sitting down to a serve of "crow" in the next 24 hours. If any consolation you will have a lot of company drinking a lot of "crow."

I have warned you crows, to watch out for the "crow bar guy" but you don't listen.

images (55).jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 8:26 AM, jack_sparrow said:

More times than you cunt plus more.

Your turn Jack .............. Do you know who I am ?

Fuck this is funny.

37 minutes ago, Laser1 said:

Your turn Jack .............. Do you know who I am ?

Fuck this is funny.

Laser I'm a gentle and not vindictive man, but if that Fuckwit ever comes back to this thread again to abuse all that don't accord with his opinion. Then the subject of COLREGS Rule 12 where the "SV Ballina" was in his mind to be on Port and the "SV BBV" on Starboard, but both collided is raised. 

His choice now if he wants it raised and my generosity abused despite my every hint for him to shut the fuck up and quit abusing posters here.

I don't think he will ever be back here now after reading this post.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, savoir said:

Rolex is looking and with a microscope.

23 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Rolex is looking and with a microscope

How true!  I am the distributor of fake Rolex watches in Fiji, and sales have plummeted since this thread started.

We are now offering a Special Microwave Proof Edition, doubled the price, and comes with a free splitter. Now sales are picking up nicely again.

Did send one to Richard Slimewell for free, in return for him testifying that it is indeed genuine microwave resistant and 100% pure gold. 

Also appointed Fehlberg as my Aus salesrep for the marine industry, so that he stays away from his keyboard. He sold one to LB15 at half price, in exchange for a free AIS competence certificate.

Finally, for all SA suckers a FU2 for the price of 1, order Now !

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

How true!  I am the distributor of fake Rolex watches in Fiji, and sales have plummeted since this thread started...

Dream on Fiji you still silly cunts have been selling Swatch's to each other for years being plastic Rolex's..if you get to the real fake Rolex stage it will mean you idiot's have running water and electricity there.

• Like 1

You couldn’t give me a Rolex. Over rated bits of Bling crap. 

3 minutes ago, mad said:

Mad how true a watch made in the UK out of bakalite has no shine. Actually do they tell the time??

On 3/4/2019 at 9:03 AM, hoppy said:

Well done guys, you've given this thread life. Page 41 came up pretty quickly :)

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

795.gif

Cutest-Beating-Dead-Horse-GIF.gif

696.gif

Number of pages isn't that important. We have to just keep this up and running until at least 2nd day of Christmas, 2019.

image.thumb.png.37e9d662e92d1702ecbf6332b79ded15.png

17 minutes ago, 10thTonner said:

Number of pages isn't that important. We have to just keep this up and running until at least 2nd day of Christmas, 2019

Fuck me...2nd day of Christmas for Christian and Jewish members of the CYC but what about the Muslims, Buddhists, Pagans and Zoroastrians lining up on Boxing Day who are all statistically better boxers but not allowed to join?

images (57).jpeg

12 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Rolex is looking and with a microscope.

I can't afford a Rolex microscope.

5 minutes ago, hoppy said:

The thread needs to stay ahead of the 2018 race thread.

Even if this thread goes dormant, it should be revived after the 2019 SI's are issued, especially if the AIS section is changed to remove the mandatory requirements or if they add checks etc.. 

It will be pretty boring if nothing changes, then there will be nothing new to discuss (not that this has stopped this thread)

If nothing changes in the AIS SI’s for the 2019 race, all competitive boats will be using special fried splitters...... Simple.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Fuck me...2nd day of Christmas for Christian and Jewish members of the CYC but what about the Muslims, Buddhists, Pagans and Zoroastrians lining up on Boxing Day who are all statistically better boxers but not allowed to join?

images (57).jpeg

Sorry Jack, wrong Yacht Race for boxing!

That one is in August.

4 hours ago, hoppy said:

Even if this thread goes dormant, it should be revived after the 2019 SI's are issued, especially if the AIS section is changed to remove the mandatory requirements or if they add checks etc.. 

Interestingly mandatory AIS activation wasn't in last year's NOR whereas all other amendments to Special Regs were.

Onboard checks are already in Special Regs and external compliance checking technically impossible other than for intermittent reciecpt of AIS TX at intervals sometimes hours apart and by spot checking like sat phones on.

12 hours ago, mad said:

So are their sponsored races apparently.

On 2/27/2019 at 4:17 AM, Francis Vaughan said:

Groan. A high VSWR is a symptom, not a fault in and of itself. The question isn't that there was a high VSWR, but how the antenna system got that way. No mention of microwaves or splitters in the entire article. Furthermore, no explanation of the resurrection of the AIS system is given, nor does its resurrection match the wooly description of the fault.

On 2/28/2019 at 4:57 PM, savoir said:

All I can tell you is that someone turned on the AIS between 8.30 and 9.30.

Have to hand some thinking caps around.

Go to the SI and Notice of Race, Appendix B. Spare antenna wired up and ready to plug in?

thinking_cap-reb876271bbf841938dd50fa6829cac51_eahwb_8byvr_307.jpg

^^^^^ So I have given Richo here an "WOXI out clause" for reinstating their AIS quick smart using their temp antenna in record time which may piss some of you "WOXI haters" off.

But stiffen up unfortunately things go pear shaped for WOXI.

"Time Line" Involves Richo doing a 360 enroute to the Hotel (with Sandy Oatley) where he was ambushed by this ABC Interview https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-28/wild-oats-xi-sydney-hobart-2018-line-honours-winner/10671064?pfmredir=sm  and conducted at around 0915 local time or 45 minutes after hitting the dock claiming no knowledge to an AIS issue but it seem she must have rushed back and plunked the spare Antenna on the Pushpit with cabling already wired in around 15 minutes after that ABC Interview finished and then so WOXI's first AIS TX was recieved at around 0930 after race end. Fucking fast worker is all I can say.

Maybe stretching things so maybe we should start looking at Richo's credibility in terms of public statements to date:

So Richo Tripping Down the Protest Stairs in 2017

19C2D657-1591-4311-A901-17EB9CC8F8CD.png

So Richo Tripping Down The Protest Stairs in 2018 Relecting upon those 2017 Stairs and the 2018 Outcome 

https://www.sail-world.com/news/213456/Wild-Oats-XIs-skipper-answers-critics-on-S2H-row 

"My response was "fair enough, that's yacht racing." The protest was properly held. We were penalised like we should have been. It was the right result, and I don't have any bad feelings about last year's race. We sailed a brilliant race. But we stuffed it up and paid the price [of a line honours win and an unlikely to be beaten race record]."

So it  took a year for Richo to own up to his 2017 fuck up of his own making and admitted he was wrong; yet in the one year interim has made Jim Coony/Commanche and the public at large that somehow WOXI was robbed? So we have to wait another year for Richo to fess up to his fuck ups??. 

“We think the Race Committee should make a public apology to us. We have been accused of something which simply never happened', says a still irate Richards.

Then Richo leaves us all with this gem.

"The whole thing has to be a good experience for everyone. "If there is a glitch, let's work together so that it is managed properly and doesn't jeopardise lives, safety or the integrity of the sport or our reputations."

I'm feeling like I'm being conned here?

8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

^^^^^ So I have given Richo here an "WOXI out clause" for reinstating their AIS quick smart using their temp antenna in record time which may piss some of you "WOXI haters" off.

But stiffen up unfortunately things go pear shaped for WOXI.

"Time Line" Involves Richo doing a 360 enroute to the Hotel (with Sandy Oatley) where he was ambushed by this ABC Interview https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-28/wild-oats-xi-sydney-hobart-2018-line-honours-winner/10671064?pfmredir=sm  and conducted at around 0915 local time or 45 minutes after hitting the dock claiming no knowledge to an AIS issue but it seem she must have rushed back and plunked the spare Antenna on the Pushpit with cabling already wired in around 15 minutes after that ABC Interview finished and then so WOXI's first AIS TX was recieved at around 0930 after race end. Fucking fast worker is all I can say.

It may be that someone had an idea that something was awry with the splitter at the report in and simply took the VHF antenna off the splitter and screwed it onto the back of the radio.

If the spare antenna is a permanent fixture on WOXI then that got screwed onto the AIS at the dock after BJ made the claim of AIS being turned off.

Possible?

A. WHAT THEY SAID

Public comments about the use of the Automatic Identification System (AIS) in the 2018 Rolex Sydney to Hobart Race (S2H) and a Race Committee 2018 S2H RC WOXI Protest against Wild Oats XI (WOXI) that was declared "invalid" and Hearing that never eventuated. If there had been a Hearing and facts disclosed, then maybe some commentary might be different. Note: My "emphasis" in quotes.

1. Remember this Post up thread of FeelMyselfVigorously's (copied as I don't want to wake him up).

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of this race and other races, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones.

The sport is self policing and if you make a declaration you can only declare the known knowns jack"

2. And then we had this from Mark Richards in his Sail_World.com/nz 31 Dec Interview with Richard Gladwell.

"When you are on board the boat you've no idea whether you are actually transmitting or not. If the device says you are transmitting then you assume that you are sending a signal."

“The AIS had nothing to show that we weren't transmitting, and as far as we were concerned that was end of story. Our AIS was on for the whole of the race, " he reiterated.

"There is a light which shows on the AIS that you are transmitting, and ours was. The problem is, it is a VHF antenna, and I know from my experience in the powerboat building world, that if you don't have a perfect VHF connection, then the system becomes massively compromised."

3. Then in  Sails Magazine Feb/March 2019_WOXI Matt Allen, ex Commodore of the CYCA, the Race Organiser (RO) of the S2H, Race Veteran and President of Australia Sailing (AS) who is quoted as saying; "Its been a test to a new rule that probably needed more thinking about in terms of of how they were going to deal with the compliance of it." He goes on to say; "he believes boats should be notified that their AIS isn't working to begin with. I think that if there is a breakdown in the AIS system that can be valid excuse, as we know things do break down on boats."

4. The Editor Of Sails Magazine Scott Ale (who completed his 15th S2H this edition) asks the question; "So how can a boat tell if its AIS is working at full strength when its out on the race course? The answer is with some difficulty."

B. CYCA SEEKS SUBMISSIONS

The CYCA has invited AIS Submissions from interested parties “around rules, the use of technology and at all times the safety of competitors”

C. TEASER TO WAR & PEACE

My submission to the CYCA  is probably more a book as it is going to run to over a dozen pages. When complete I will post a linky on this thread. 

As Matt Allen alludes to above, non-compliance with Race Documents can obviously lead to protests either by other competitors or the Race Committee (RC). It is therefore essential to be able to demonstrate that you were compliant (or in the event of a failure, are aware of it) either in the Protest Room and to be able to make a proper and compliant post-race Declaration. The latter involving amoungst other things in S2H Declarations; "compliance with the SI’s and RRS" and disclosing "any other notable/extraordinary circumstance.” Furthermore automatic penalties whereby failure to meet the S2H Declaration requirements may incur "a scoring penalty up to 15% applied by the Race Committee without a hearing.” 

My submission will be indicating five (5) simple, quick AIS TX checks (2 requiring Internet access) covering most AIS brands that can be made on the race course and not including input from other competitors or the Race Committee for a AIS that is turned on and appears to be functioning. Any one of these five (5) checks, though some better than others, will tell you if your AIS Transmission (TX) signal is being transmitted or not at the "minimum range" in accord with Australian Sailing Special Regulations, which state as follows with regard to the "mandatory" activation of AIS when having a shared VHF/AIS Antenna: 

2.03.1 “All equipment required by these Special Regulations shall:

(a) Function properly.

(b) Be regularly checked, cleaned and serviced.”

3.25.4 (c) “Have transmission and reception with a base station at least 8 nautical miles distant.”

3.25.5  “The following emergency antenna shall be provided:

(a) An emergency antenna for each required radio.

(b) An emergency antenna where the regular antenna depends upon the mast.”

The  2018 S2H Notice of Race Appendix B: “Emergency aerials are required to have their mounting brackets and cabling permanently installed.”

In the event there is VHF/AIS antenna/AIS TX problem and the issue of non-compliance with Race Documentation arises, then obviously the remedy sits in Australian Sailing Special Regulation 3.25.5 and 2018 S2H Notice of Race Appendix B governing emergency equipment to be carried and operational.  

In light of this Teaser I find all the above comments about a piece of equipment that has been mandatory in AS Special Regulations for a few years now and its "activation" made mandatory last year, in not just the S2H, disturbing having regard for the caliber and standing of those making those comments. Mark Richard's comments the most extraordinary.

Anyone care to be more knowledgeable than Richo? I note two (2) AIS Tests are already mentioned upthread giving you a head start.

I will give first correct entry posted here listing all five (5) simple quick AIS TX checks , a case of  @Fiji Bitter 

War and Peace.jpg

• Like 1

What make / brand off ais was onboard?

if it is expensive it had a vswr protection in it and it refuses to sent and gives an alarm.

My Vesper has one and I googled a bit and I think all the big names have them in.

If not you can blow your ais transmitter, so I think the story is made up.

41 minutes ago, mowgli said:

if it is expensive it had a vswr protection in it and it refuses to sent and gives an alarm.

There is AIS TX #1 Test....4 to go

Doesn't have to be expensive, they all have high VSWR alarm around 5:1 which equates to a antenna transmit power loss of 45% or 2.6 dBa. In the form of a LED on transponder and on the connected  hardware device monitoring AIS such as any MFD on board, in form of a safety message and audible alarm that awakes the dead on most. You can't miss it.

Higher than this it still transmits doesn't stop but less power so TX over shorter distances and with risk that data sentences will be lost or clipped. Does this test everytime it transmits or Class B every 30 seconds, Class B+ or SODMA up to every 5 seconds. Automatic so you don't have to lift a finger 

41 minutes ago, mowgli said:

Not quite. The reduced power is from the AIS transponder reducing power to protect itself from the heat generated by the power loss caused by the large impedance mismatch (high VSWR) sending power back to the transmitter source. Hence no damage to WOXI's AIS Transponder with what was a VSWR way above VSWR of 5:1 if Sails Mag have properly quoted the "electronics expert" looking into it.

1 hour ago, mowgli said:

it had a vswr protection

Yes at a known AIS TX Power Reduction  Alarm Level of 45%. So @mowglicongratulations a point not raised in a thread of 41 Pages, 4K of Posts and 85k Views. You go to top of the class. Who is going to get the other 4 Tests as I said the prize was for all 5.

There is more life left in this Horse than many think. 

funny_horse_animated.gif

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Yes at a known AIS TX Power Reduction  Alarm Level of 45%. Congratulations a point not raised in a thread of 41 Pages, 4K of Posts and 85k Views. You go to top of the class.

There is more life left in this Horse than many think. 

funny_horse_animated.gif

Only just.......

article-1359344-0CD7D4A0000005DC-318_1024x615_large.thumb.jpg.05c45ab08a025827727a6de7f8588bdd.jpg

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

^^^ Do they warm those first before applying? 

No need. Plenty of power to get things nice and toasty quite fast enough. 

it would be handy to know the make off the transponder, that no body have mentioned it amasses me.

20 minutes ago, mowgli said:

it would be handy to know the make off the transponder, that no body have mentioned it amasses me.

images (58).jpeg

43 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I think they put them each side of Richo's head and dialed them up to 11kVa. Only possible explanation.

3793_215_Kohls_002_2_908.jpg.13ad541c92f4d4b28872440c569bdb4b.jpg

5 hours ago, Francis Vaughan said:

Plenty of power ........

Can you hook'em up to a non functioning ais? Guess it would fry a thing or two. :lol:

17 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Look at Marine Traffic website?

Although Gladwell's article says WOXI was only made aware of this site after the race ... which would have to be the bullshit statement of the century.

3 hours ago, Trickypig said:

Although Gladwell's article says WOXI was only made aware of this site after the race ... which would have to be the bullshit statement of the century.

There is AIS TX #2 Test....3 to go

Yes AIS Online Providers which there are a number to chose from.

However this does come with four caveats.

Firstly you require Internet access, albeit most race boats don't leave home without it.

Secondly away from Terrestrial AIS Receivers (both public and private data sources for these providers) orbiting Satellite AIS Recievers will only receive when when in range leaving gaps in transmission by anything up to a few hours i.e. will be represented by straight lines between recieved transmissions.

Thirdly satelittes signal receipt is dependant on there being low line losses in the antenna installation for what is already a low powered Class B (2w) AIS transponder.

Finally the optimum weather conditions for a AIS satellite transmission is when boats are "heeling" over. This is because most marine VFF antennas are "omnidirectional vertically polarised" or in other words where the radiated signal is basically of equal strength through 360 degrees of and maximised in the horizontal plane and zero directly above and below the antenna like a "donut" as shown in Pics 2 & 3 below. 

Then there is the antenna Gain which is the ability of the antenna to improve transmission "efficiency" and "horizontal directivity" of the radiated signal which gives the "appearance" the antenna alone is increasing power which it clearly can't do. Most marine masthead antennas will have a Gain of no more than 3dB, in fact any higher will introduce impedance matching or VSWR issues with AIS. The horizontal oriented "nodes" of a 3dB antenna are shown in Pic 3 below.

So in short sailing "flat" is better for maximising AIS signal receipt by Terrestrial AIS Recievers. When out of their range sailing "heeled" over maximises AIS signal receipt by submarines and Satellite AIS Receivers. However this is only a generalisation so don't count it as a hard and fast rule.

As to quantifying the performance of your AIS TX transmission using a Online AIS Provider. Without going into too much detail and subject to the above.

The Online AIS Provider will provide the location of all their AIS Reciever network. If you can't see your vessel displayed Online when within say 4nm of that station you "definitely" have a problem with compliance with regard to race rules for your AIS and "possibly VHF. That "half" or 4nm is that prescribed for your minimum VHF performance by AS Special Regulation 3.25.4 (c) “Have transmission and reception with a base station at least 8 nautical miles distant,” Halving the distance to 4nm is to account for a Class B AIS Transponders Propagation Distance at 2w is around half that of the 25w VHF radio which that 8nm distance is based upon. Less than 4 mile you "definitely" have a problem.

Obviously if those around you are displayed Online irrespective of the Online AIS Reciever stations location and you aren't shown, you "may" have a problem with compliance.

Note: The "baseline" for actual AIS TX Propogation Distance is established at the pre-race S2H Radio/AIS Instalation Audit time. I will go into more detail how that "baseline" translates into falling below the minimum 8 mile compliance in my CYCA submission plus provide a quick method of calculating your Propagation Distance having regard to TX and RX antenna heights and the sensitivity threshold for RX stations. But for now assume most vessels will start with around a 20% or 1dBa VHF/AIS power loss. This translates into around 25% available headroom or where at a total power loss of 45% you are not in compliance with regard to AIS operation having regard to AS Special Regulation; 

(a) Function properly.

(b) Be regularly checked, cleaned and serviced.”

As you can see from the above using Online AIS Providers can establish compliance under the self policing rules of sailing and is a valuable tool. However used by an RC for compliance monitoring is pretty much useless other than for very intermittent transmissions or if you didn't transmit at all between the start and the finish of a race. :-)

Three (3) more tests to go people..who is going to get that case of @Fiji Bitter

radiation-pattern-vert.jpg

vert-polar.gif

antenna-3db.jpg

15 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

A second AIS receiver on board should show you, but wouldn't qualify signal strength.

Only talking about gear that's mandated under the rules now and compliance under the rules now.

Though you can get portable Class AIS Transceivers that have all the functionality of fixed units including the same TX performance alarm features. Used by delivery skippers and for redundancy etc.

57 minutes ago, hoppy said:

How would WOIX's crew be made aware that their AIS was not transmitting during the race?

Unless you look for the problem, you are not likely to find it.

They didn't say no TX, just not at full strength due to a VSWR issue.

Try reading upthread a few posts Hoppy...you don't need to look for VSWR problem. Your AIS looks for it automatically every 30 seconds and tells you there is a problem, albeit under the rules you are obliged to look for problems like this and no different than checking to see if your nav lights are working.

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

How would WOIX's crew be made aware that their AIS was not transmitting during the race?

Unless you look for the problem, you are not likely to find it.

You're joking Hoppy?

I've spent time crewing boats to Hobart for the Wooden Boat festival also and even then I still look at Marine Traffic on the way. WOX'Is nav station has the best of everything including good internet access, 2 laptops etc etc. Any good racing navigator would take a look at Marine Traffic, if even to check conditions well inshore/offshore on vessels not picked up by the boat's AIS.

41 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

Any good racing navigator would take a look at Marine Traffic, if even to check conditions well inshore/offshore on vessels not picked up by the boat's AIS.

I would have to disagree there Tricky.

Putting aside the rules obligation to check the AIS TX using 1 of 5 methods where one is automatically done for you. Richo says there is none so looking like a goose once you people guess the 3 remaining.

The race tracker details (via small data packet) automatically come up in your nav software for those boats you select to keep an eye on and with shorter update interval of 10 minutes. No one would be fucking around with a AIS website, there is too much going on.

So there is no confusion I don't believe for one moment WOXI hit the "Do Not Transmit the AIS TX Button" as only idiots claim.

As to not knowing they had a AIS TX problem involving an antenna VSWR issue on the race course reducing TX strength until being told dockside around 9.15 am by the ABC or an hour after finishing...complete horseshit. They took advantage of it, didn't rectify it pure and simple and got away with it courtesy of a compliant if not complicit RC.

17 minutes ago, hoppy said:

I'm so happy for you.... I checked MT a couple of times in Greece to see the actual delay between internet AIS and reality for a Cruisersforum thread what some morons thought internet AIS was good enough for use onboard. I never looked at MT when I did a S2M delivery. Approaching the rip at night in fog I noticed Young Endevour on my AIS was dropping in and out every 5 min or so, so I told them about it. They knew their AIS was dodgy, but were not sure of the actual status. 

I would imagine that no good race navigator would bother with MT. Why would you look for your boat on MT if you are 50nm offshore? It will take up a lot of satellite bandwidth to bring up the site and they won't find themselves unless they have a sat-AIS subscription.

If you want to stalk your competitors at a distance, the sat-tracker on the S2H site would be more sensible. 

I would agree that the Marine Traffic website would be down the list on a navigator's list of information but I'm certain that WOXI would have the bandwidth to leave the page open on one of their laptops. 

We looked at it to see where our mates where.

.... and as for Gladwell saying that WOXI was only told of the website's existence after the race... pfffffttt.

As we have gone over another page and this thread/horse is still alive and kicking and so anyone chasing a carton of @Fiji Bitter to to be first pick the 5 things that Richo said "do not exist" and it seems others in high places may agree with. 

Here is a bump and you lot have only got 2 out 5 so far. Put your thinking caps on people you are holding up my AIS Submission that the CYCA have issued an invitation for.

thinking_cap-reb876271bbf841938dd50fa6829cac51_eahwb_8byvr_307.jpg.d1d000805fe32dbd4a656de347da4cb7.jpg

On 3/8/2019 at 7:01 PM, jack_sparrow said:

A. WHAT THEY SAID

Public comments about the use of the Automatic Identification System (AIS) in the 2018 Rolex Sydney to Hobart Race (S2H) and a Race Committee 2018 S2H RC WOXI Protest against Wild Oats XI (WOXI) that was declared "invalid" and Hearing that never eventuated. If there had been a Hearing and facts disclosed, then maybe some commentary might be different. Note: My "emphasis" in quotes.

1. Remember this Post up thread of FeelMyselfVigorously's (copied as I don't want to wake him up).

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of this race and other races, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones.

The sport is self policing and if you make a declaration you can only declare the known knowns jack"

2. And then we had this from Mark Richards in his Sail_World.com/nz 31 Dec Interview with Richard Gladwell.

"When you are on board the boat you've no idea whether you are actually transmitting or not. If the device says you are transmitting then you assume that you are sending a signal."

“The AIS had nothing to show that we weren't transmitting, and as far as we were concerned that was end of story. Our AIS was on for the whole of the race, " he reiterated.

"There is a light which shows on the AIS that you are transmitting, and ours was. The problem is, it is a VHF antenna, and I know from my experience in the powerboat building world, that if you don't have a perfect VHF connection, then the system becomes massively compromised."

3. Then in  Sails Magazine Feb/March 2019_WOXI Matt Allen, ex Commodore of the CYCA, the Race Organiser (RO) of the S2H, Race Veteran and President of Australia Sailing (AS) who is quoted as saying; "Its been a test to a new rule that probably needed more thinking about in terms of of how they were going to deal with the compliance of it." He goes on to say; "he believes boats should be notified that their AIS isn't working to begin with. I think that if there is a breakdown in the AIS system that can be valid excuse, as we know things do break down on boats."

4. The Editor Of Sails Magazine Scott Ale (who completed his 15th S2H this edition) asks the question; "So how can a boat tell if its AIS is working at full strength when its out on the race course? The answer is with some difficulty."

B. CYCA SEEKS SUBMISSIONS

The CYCA has invited AIS Submissions from interested parties “around rules, the use of technology and at all times the safety of competitors”

C. TEASER TO WAR & PEACE

My submission to the CYCA  is probably more a book as it is going to run to over a dozen pages. When complete I will post a linky on this thread. 

As Matt Allen alludes to above, non-compliance with Race Documents can obviously lead to protests either by other competitors or the Race Committee (RC). It is therefore essential to be able to demonstrate that you were compliant (or in the event of a failure, are aware of it) either in the Protest Room and to be able to make a proper and compliant post-race Declaration. The latter involving amoungst other things in S2H Declarations; "compliance with the SI’s and RRS" and disclosing "any other notable/extraordinary circumstance.” Furthermore automatic penalties whereby failure to meet the S2H Declaration requirements may incur "a scoring penalty up to 15% applied by the Race Committee without a hearing.” 

My submission will be indicating five (5) simple, quick AIS TX checks (2 requiring Internet access) covering most AIS brands that can be made on the race course and not including input from other competitors or the Race Committee for a AIS that is turned on and appears to be functioning. Any one of these five (5) checks, though some better than others, will tell you if your AIS Transmission (TX) signal is being transmitted or not at the "minimum range" in accord with Australian Sailing Special Regulations, which state as follows with regard to the "mandatory" activation of AIS when having a shared VHF/AIS Antenna: 

(a) Function properly.

(b) Be regularly checked, cleaned and serviced.”

3.25.4 (c) “Have transmission and reception with a base station at least 8 nautical miles distant.”

3.25.5  “The following emergency antenna shall be provided:

(a) An emergency antenna for each required radio.

(b) An emergency antenna where the regular antenna depends upon the mast.”

The  2018 S2H Notice of Race Appendix B: “Emergency aerials are required to have their mounting brackets and cabling permanently installed.”

In the event there is VHF/AIS antenna/AIS TX problem and the issue of non-compliance with Race Documentation arises, then obviously the remedy sits in Australian Sailing Special Regulation 3.25.5 and 2018 S2H Notice of Race Appendix B governing emergency equipment to be carried and operational.  

In light of this Teaser I find all the above comments about a piece of equipment that has been mandatory in AS Special Regulations for a few years now and its "activation" made mandatory last year, in not just the S2H, disturbing having regard for the caliber and standing of those making those comments. Mark Richard's comments the most extraordinary.

Anyone care to be more knowledgeable than Richo? I note two (2) AIS Tests are already mentioned upthread giving you a head start.

I will give first correct entry posted here listing all five (5) simple quick AIS TX checks , a case of  @Fiji Bitter 

War and Peace.jpg

On 3/8/2019 at 7:32 PM, mowgli said:

My Vesper has one and I googled a bit and I think all the big names have them in.

On 3/8/2019 at 7:45 PM, jack_sparrow said:

Doesn't have to be expensive, they all have high VSWR alarm around 5:1 which equates to a antenna transmit power loss of 45% or 2.6 dBa. In the form of a LED on transponder and on the connected  hardware device monitoring AIS such as any MFD on board, in form of a safety message and audible alarm that awakes the dead on most. You can't miss it.

Higher than this it still transmits doesn't stop but less power so TX over shorter distances and with risk that data sentences will be lost or clipped. Does this test everytime it transmits or Class B every 30 seconds, Class B+ or SODMA up to every 5 seconds. Automatic so you don't have to lift a finger 

Not quite. The reduced power is from the AIS transponder reducing power to protect itself from the heat generated by the power loss caused by the large impedance mismatch (high VSWR) sending power back to the transmitter source. Hence no damage to WOXI's AIS Transponder with what was a VSWR way above VSWR of 5:1 if Sails Mag have properly quoted the "electronics expert" looking into it.

7 hours ago, Trickypig said:

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

There is AIS TX #2 Test....3 to go

Yes AIS Online Providers which there are a number to chose from.

However this does come with four caveats.

Firstly you require Internet access, albeit most race boats don't leave home without it.

Secondly away from Terrestrial AIS Receivers (both public and private data sources for these providers) orbiting Satellite AIS Recievers will only receive when when in range leaving gaps in transmission by anything up to a few hours i.e. will be represented by straight lines between recieved transmissions.

Thirdly satelittes signal receipt is dependant on there being low line losses in the antenna installation for what is already a low powered Class B (2w) AIS transponder.

Finally the optimum weather conditions for a AIS satellite transmission is when boats are "heeling" over. This is because most marine VFF antennas are "omnidirectional vertically polarised" or in other words where the radiated signal is basically of equal strength through 360 degrees of and maximised in the horizontal plane and zero directly above and below the antenna like a "donut" as shown in Pics 2 & 3 below. 

Then there is the antenna Gain which is the ability of the antenna to improve transmission "efficiency" and "horizontal directivity" of the radiated signal which gives the "appearance" the antenna alone is increasing power which it clearly can't do. Most marine masthead antennas will have a Gain of no more than 3dB, in fact any higher will introduce impedance matching or VSWR issues with AIS. The horizontal oriented "nodes" of a 3dB antenna are shown in Pic 3 below.

So in short sailing "flat" is better for maximising AIS signal receipt by Terrestrial AIS Recievers. When out of their range sailing "heeled" over maximises AIS signal receipt by submarines and Satellite AIS Receivers. However this is only a generalisation so don't count it as a hard and fast rule.

As to quantifying the performance of your AIS TX transmission using a Online AIS Provider. Without going into too much detail and subject to the above.

The Online AIS Provider will provide the location of all their AIS Reciever network. If you can't see your vessel displayed Online when within say 4nm of that station you "definitely" have a problem with compliance with regard to race rules for your AIS and "possibly VHF. That "half" or 4nm is that prescribed for your minimum VHF performance by AS Special Regulation 3.25.4 (c) “Have transmission and reception with a base station at least 8 nautical miles distant,” Halving the distance to 4nm is to account for a Class B AIS Transponders Propagation Distance at 2w is around half that of the 25w VHF radio which that 8nm distance is based upon. Less than 4 mile you "definitely" have a problem.

Obviously if those around you are displayed Online irrespective of the Online AIS Reciever stations location and you aren't shown, you "may" have a problem with compliance.

Note: The "baseline" for actual AIS TX Propogation Distance is established at the pre-race S2H Radio/AIS Instalation Audit time. I will go into more detail how that "baseline" translates into falling below the minimum 8 mile compliance in my CYCA submission plus provide a quick method of calculating your Propagation Distance having regard to TX and RX antenna heights and the sensitivity threshold for RX stations. But for now assume most vessels will start with around a 20% or 1dBa VHF/AIS power loss. This translates into around 25% available headroom or where at a total power loss of 45% you are not in compliance with regard to AIS operation having regard to AS Special Regulation; 

(a) Function properly.

(b) Be regularly checked, cleaned and serviced.”

As you can see from the above using Online AIS Providers can establish compliance under the self policing rules of sailing and is a valuable tool. However used by an RC for compliance monitoring is pretty much useless other than for very intermittent transmissions or if you didn't transmit at all between the start and the finish of a race. :-)

Three (3) more tests to go people..who is going to get that case of @Fiji Bitter

radiation-pattern-vert.jpg

vert-polar.gif

antenna-3db.jpg

just ask an other if he can see you.

your nav program does show your own ais on the map

16 minutes ago, mowgli said:

I looked it up on my nav program, you can set it on and of

ais.png

31 minutes ago, mowgli said:

just ask an other if he can see you.

Sorry mow. Already in the fine print of the competition to get a case of @Fiji Bitter. External assistance is not included. This is self tests to comply with Race Documentation incl making a Post Race Declaration under the RRS or as modified by SI.

On 3/8/2019 at 7:01 PM, jack_sparrow said:

My submission will be indicating five (5) simple, quick AIS TX checks (2 requiring Internet access) covering most AIS brands that can be made on the race course and not including input from other competitors or the Race Committee for a AIS that is turned on and appears to be functioning.

There is also an argument, maybe flimsy, such a request is a breach of the RRS regarding "Outside Assistance". The request being it quantifies the actual propagated distance of your AIS TX signal (without you doing the sums which you can do) thus indicating your "go dark tactical advantage line" using AIS.

22 minutes ago, mowgli said:

3 minutes ago, mowgli said:

I looked it up on my nav program, you can set it on and of

ais.png

Mow..Judges say you have to identify actual Program there and it's source and the AIS Hardware it is connected to, plus the words in English you outline to be considered further. 

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

Mow..Judges say you have to identify actual Program there and it's source and the AIS Hardware it is connected to, plus the words in English you outline to be considered further. 

The program is wingps 
https://www.stentec.com/nl/wingps/wingps-5-voyager

and the checkbox says hide your own vessel

43 minutes ago, mowgli said:

43 minutes ago, mowgli said:

The program is wingps 
https://www.stentec.com/nl/wingps/wingps-5-voyager

and the checkbox says hide your own vessel

Sorry mate all that check box is turning on or off your AIS TX.

Says nothing about quality of AIS TX signal quality which you got with your winning answer.

The balance of the information is AIS information transmitted via NMEA to that particular Navigation Program. If your Navigation Program happened to include a message about Antenna/VSWR/TX Quality (which it doesn't) it is already included in you winning VSWR answer to which my reply was this. In other words a PC/Nav Program is no different than a MFD, some boats, particularly big ones have more than one MFD. :-)

On 3/8/2019 at 7:45 PM, jack_sparrow said:

@mowgli that said you are going down the right sort of burrow to reveal #3, just the wrong one..it's just the next burrow along and off to your left. 

Mow I can now see why your at the front of the class compared to @hoppy the class disrupter down the back masturbating his Greek AIS yet again.

images (59).jpeg

47 minutes ago, mowgli said:

the AIS programmer program show how your AIS is performing

https://digitalyacht.net/2013/06/11/is-my-ais-transponder-transmitting/

Mow no apple for the Teacher as @hoppy down the back is hiding under his desk?

There is AIS TX #3 Test....2 to go

Yes an AIS Program directly PC/AIS connected that Digital Yacht while maybe a AIS Hardware supplier the author is a program actually packaged by competing manufactures to allow AIS Configuration (vessel name and MMSI) and Diagnostics of their own AIS product offerings. It is Freeware shared amoungst Class B AIS manufacturers.

Here is a sample quantifying the actual VSWR factor and by viewing that you know by exceeding a VSWR of around 5:1 your AIS TX signal is experiencing a power loss in Watts of around -45% or - 2.56dB and is going to shit. See middle column down a VSWR of 6.3:1 bringing up the big Red X.

Furthermore every Class B AIS TX does this test at 30 second intervals, it also tests both GPS signal and Voltage fundamental to a reliable AIS TX signal. All TX failures including above around VSWR 5:1 are also logged so for instance to support any Protest regarding same. 

Not looking good here Richo, the CYCA, and a Sycophant Media.

Still got 2 to go.

VSWR-Alarm-NEW-with-Voltage (1).png

6 minutes ago, TUBBY said:

Page 42,

The answers will be here. The great Douglas Adams has spoken!

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." Douglas Adams.

Tubby I like keeping my powder dry until the other side has stopped talking and just hopes it all goes away.

They are in for a fucking shock.

1 hour ago, mowgli said:

the green transmitting led must blik when you transmit 

https://digitalyacht.net/2018/08/23/vswr-explained/

Going to have to send you to the back of the class mow.

Every decent Class B AIS Transponder has a TX blink Green LED but the critical one is the Red LED in the middle that blinks PLUS sets off via NMEA an Alarm when things like the VSWR exceeds 5:1 and hence TX signal loss of 45% in Watts and - 2.6 in dB is exceeded. An alarm sent to all compatible devices on board like MFD and often a large audible alarm depending on manufacturer.

Most Splitters also have a TX blink Green LED and Red error LED but they are not interfaced via NMEA to anything.

For example these pics are Navico's with their Simrad/Lowrance/B&G and 500 labeling for both their AIS Class B and Splitters.

This gear is usually hidden on most boats and so LED's also hidden so the RED LED error interface to hardware actually showing AIS data being used including alarm/safety messages both visual and audible like VSWR is where the problem is first sighted.

No one looks at lights on hidden pieces of gear unless looking after that alarm goes off.

58171_B_G_B_G_AIS_NAIS-500_1 (2).png

nspl-500-web.png

the error led lid when the vswr is not ok and that was the first check wise guy, the unit does not sent if the antena is not ok so you don't see tx

4 hours ago, mowgli said:

I does, but that isn't your AIS receiver seeing what you transmit and  then sending it to your nav system. That is an option to have your AIS system add the position it internally has (via its own GPS receiver) to the set of tracks it sends to your nav system. It is telling your nav system the same information it would transmit. Not what it saw itself transmit.

Being able to add it to the set of tracks is optional as there are many cases where you really do not want it. For instance it can set off alarms you set in a most unhelpful manner. And it clutters things on the display. There are other oddities in the protocol sending positions to the nav system, but they don't matter so much. 

1 hour ago, mowgli said:

the error led lid when the vswr is not ok and that was the first check wise guy, the unit does not sent if the antena is not ok so you don't see tx

Mow not correct as maybe check guy didn't really care as now a tactical advantage? Can't have missed it. The argument then is we are transmitting but at a shit level, is that OK under the rules of race? That a Skippers call and one who fills out the S26 Declaration but who didn't appear at the RC Protest. Also helps to have people in high places helping as fellow competitors caught between a rock and a hard place.

Mate I'm going to give you a tip shortly when everyone in Oz incl @Francis Vaughanis asleep so you get #4 on "my AIS is not working but pretend it is ignore list". It does get more technical but I'm sure you will cope.

This gear is usually hidden on most boats and so LED's also hidden so the RED LED error interface to hardware actually showing AIS data being used including alarm/safety messages both visual and audible like VSWR is where the problem is first sighted.

No one looks at lights on hidden pieces of gear unless looking after that alarm goes off.

6 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Here is a bump and you lot have only got 2 out 5 so far. Put your thinking caps on people you are holding up my AIS Submission that the CYCA have issued an invitation for.

thinking_cap-reb876271bbf841938dd50fa6829cac51_eahwb_8byvr_307.jpg.d1d000805fe32dbd4a656de347da4cb7.jpg

So you lot have now got 3 out of 5 AIS tests on the race course and poor Richo couldn't even get fucking one.

So congratulations to @mowgli getting two (2) and @Trickypig getting one (1). So three (3) down and two (2) still to be found. But now its gets a bit harder and requires some nous.Though one is a no brainer and never picked up so far and it isn't this tip as follows. 

Hence I think I need to lay down some clues as I'm afraid tomorrow I will be run over by a CYCA bus driven by Richo and 2 media sycophants at the wheel and no one will know.

This is just pictures but maybe revisit my answer to @Trickypig winning answer upthread about "Propagation Path Losses"and then the SI (linky just a few posts up for your convenience) about S2H mandatory VHF communications as an example. However don't rush in as this is not as simple as it appears, so if you have watts power in your ears ignore them and think decibels (dB) both TX and RX end and any increase of 3dB is approximately a doubling of power or for each 3dB decrease the power is reduced by one half when expressed in watts power Those into maths well P to dB is; 10*log (P/1 mW).

Pending your answers I'm not going near a road that has a bus stop on it.

VHF Repeater.png

1673853595_SETasmaniaRepeaterNetwork.jpg.feb8b2ec1b47844884497bbe3f5d7da5.jpg

851140097_MtRaoulVHFRepeaterCh81.jpg.d9abe5af06e357323ad79235d070c72d.jpg

Mt Raoul VHF Repeater Ch 81_The Pot Distance.jpg

1 hour ago, dachopper said:

Fark mee..... have you guys been arguing for the entire 3 months since I last checked this thread !!!

Chopper not much arguing happening here anymore mate, maybe increased disbelief as it gets quantified...the great Douglas Adams is guiding this thread as Tubby points out..

4 hours ago, TUBBY said:

The answers will be here. The great Douglas Adams has spoken!

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." Douglas Adams.

Tubby I like keeping my powder dry until the other side has stopped talking and just hopes it all goes away.

They are in for a fucking shock