Mid

2018 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race: The Race Committee has lodged a protest against Wild Oats XI

Sorry, I did the wrong thing and posted on that other thread.  Bad DtM bad.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DtM said:

Sorry, I did the wrong thing and posted on that other thread.  Bad DtM bad.

Your not that strange cunt from Alaska are you by any chance?

Shit no.

From one end of the S2H.

• Like 1

So apparently unless Jack turns up Ms Marple's closely held secret we are doomed to be overtaken by an inferior thread.

You put so much into these things and yet in the end you realise it were all for nought.  

Just another example of something lost and a situation less better.

Don't worry Paps we can keep this ahead of the other thread.  All we need is a couple of LB rants and the post count flies.

• Like 1

I wanted to say something on the other thread but I resisted (after my little lapse).  Roll on.

23 minutes ago, paps49 said:

So apparently unless Jack turns up Ms Marple's closely held secret we are doomed to be overtaken by an inferior thread.

You put so much into these things and yet in the end you realise it were all for nought.  

Just another example of something lost and a situation less better.

Miss Marple nearly finished with reviewing "The Butler Did It."

'Good Things Come To Those Who Wait'

images (13).jpeg

• Like 2

On 2/9/2019 at 6:22 PM, paps49 said:

Apparently News LTD just got wind of this thread.

On 2/11/2019 at 9:34 AM, Turkey Slapper said:

Has Oats been scrubbed yet? 

I still have the TAB ticket ready to cash in as soon as they are! 

Get on with it eh guys!!!!

Breaking news.. horseshit Paps.. fuckin News Ltd and Rupert couldn't break a hymen if their life depended on it even if he is the Prime Minister. I keep telling you son the ABC is the Oracle.

Turkey slap that betting slip into wherever you slap stuff for safekeeping.

• Like 1

Haha, great LB bait Jack!:lol:

14 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Makes you wonder. In all my sailing time I was taught it was about honesty, after all if you cheated you were only cheating yourself. That being said there are different personalities in the world, there's good and bad. It's the world we live in. This is a great article but one I didn't want to read. 

cheat

Dictionary result for cheat

CHEAT
/tʃiːt/
verb

1. 1.
    act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage.
    "she always cheats at cards"

2. 2.
    avoid (something undesirable) by luck or skill.
    "she cheated death in a spectacular crash"
    synonyms: avoid, escape, evade, elude, steer clear of, dodge, duck, miss, sidestep, bypass, skirt, shun, eschew; More

Good piece Shang

I believe in this case and many others, the opposition should have protested.... Many still feel sailing should be decided on the race course... I say bullshit, take it to the room. It's proven people will not always be honest.... this isn't a chook raffle... I know all at the big end of town are not happy with the WO splitter crap but don't want to be labelled crybabies.... 

History will not be rewritten ... 2018 LH winner is Oats...... but

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Recidivist said:

Haha, great LB bait Jack!:lol:

LB is like a Jew fish that mouths the bait so I'm not expecting anything soon. Complete opposite to Paps who hits the hook hard like a Barramundi.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

LB is like a Jew fish that mouths the bait so I'm not expecting anything soon. Complete opposite to Paps who hits the hook hard like a Barramundi.

I think he is more like a Mangrove Jack. :) 

• Like 1

Swordfish will do, careful how you land me I can become a handful onboard.

10 hours ago, PIL66 said:

No. History for the 2018 SH has yet to be written up and we are now left with with a conundrum based on what has been reported. A certain Skipper seems to have been reported as making contradicting statements concerning the operation of a mandatory piece of navigation equipment, which, if non-operational, will have disadvantaged his opponents, possibly to the extent that he would not have arrived first at the line. I understand from press reports, that said skipper firmly left the ball in his own court when he said he would "prove" what actually happened, not that that makes much of a difference if the gear wasn't operational, but I understand skipper is credited with two contradictory reports to the press. One saying the equipment was operating all the time, and a second where he said it was non-operational during the race. He gave himself the opportunity to clear all this up "in a week's time", but so far I have read no reports concerning his "proof" about what happened re. the equipment.
For me, and I expect for many others, whilst we note that the cup and prizes have been distributed, the matter of who won the 2018 SH remains very much an open question which we expect the skipper to resolve according to good sportsmanship principles once he is clear in his own mind about what he and his boat actually did, and/or for the race organizers to clear up. Otherwise I shall have to conclude that the 2018 SH real winner is as yet unknown.
This will be a hard act to follow. I wait with baited breath to discover What new entertainment we can expect from the SH organizers and their pals at the end of this year!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, staysail said:

... I wait with baited breath ...

Please!

"...bated breath ..."

:angry:

(Of course, you may be saying that you have halitosis and your breath smells like rotten fish ... - in which case I apologise for correcting you)

16 hours ago, paps49 said:

Swordfish will do, careful how you land me I can become a handful onboard.

Is this from your online dating profile? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Recidivist said:

Please!

"...bated breath ..."

(Of course, you may be saying that you have halitosis and your breath smells like rotten fish ... - in which case I apologise for correcting you)

The Shorter Oxford lists bait as an alternative to bate.

I guess that "bated" is a contraction of "abated", so I'm gonna call the Shorter Oxford an ass

• Like 1

12 hours ago, staysail said:

Otherwise I shall have to conclude that the 2018 SH real winner is as yet unknown.

You speak of only one piece of silverware, and one that many consider irelevant. Alive, WOX and Voodoo's position on the big podium is what this race is about.

As for the 100' dicks LH podium there is only a loser there and that is the overall race itself. The 100' and or RC do such a grand job coming up with a new black mark on the S2H nearly every year, they really should rename S2H Line Honours the "Al Jolson Trophy".

images (15).jpeg

2 hours ago, Weyalan said:

I guess that "bated" is a contraction of "abated", so I'm gonna call the Shorter Oxford an ass

I think it is the correct use. There are plenty of posters on this thread that have the smell of bait on their breath. 

SAILGP starts tomorrow 10 knots with 10-15 on Saturday. Should be interesting. It's the Americas Cup when you don't have an Americas Cup or a Sydney to Hobart for that matter.! Go Slingsby he hasn't cheated has he? 

24 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

There are plenty of posters on this thread that have the smell of bait on their breath. 

LB a decent thread survives on many ingredients, none the least a good dolup of all types of "baiting"

QgiWgGi.gif.e30637d2f1b80be2a611f126fda64c67.gif

41 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

LB a decent thread survives on many ingredients, none the least a good dolup of all types of "baiting"

QgiWgGi.gif.e30637d2f1b80be2a611f126fda64c67.gif

Sound gif that one jack. I used to use it on Randumb a lot.

Fuck I miss him.

24 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Fuck I miss him.

My uncle Jack would be horrified to hear his image is thought akin to that of Randumb. You might need to get lawyered up.

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

SAILGP starts tomorrow 10 knots with 10-15 on Saturday. Should be interesting. It's the Americas Cup when you don't have an Americas Cup or a Sydney to Hobart for that matter.! Go Slingsby he hasn't cheated has he? 

No chance.... Not Slingers

3 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Fuck I miss him.

When it goes quiet you do reveal yourself.

4 hours ago, LB 15 said:

I think it is the correct use. There are plenty of posters on this thread that have the smell of bait on their breath. 

And a few fishermen who smell of bait all the time.

10 hours ago, Recidivist said:

Please!

"...bated breath ..."

Bait taken, and its not my breath that smells about this affair!

On 2/13/2019 at 12:51 PM, PIL66 said:

21 hours ago, staysail said:

No. History for the 2018 SH has yet to be written up and we are now left with with a conundrum based on what has been reported.

How true. The History of the 2018 S2H for LH is yet to be written.

Really no different than the bringing of  famous bikini movie moments to account involving a bit of lag time. Even then they forget the older 2 pieces of 50 years ago, just like pre IOR didn't exist.

UGENTLY AWAITING THE ICE TO THAW

Well this thread 7 weeks old to the hour. Current Stats and to Main Race thread are below, noting the latter stats were frozen at 3 weeks ago to make the comparison fair.

SEVEN WEEKS OF HARD LABOUR

Total Posts: 3,833  (3,672)

Average Posts per Week: 548  (77)

Average Posts per Day: 78   (11)

Total Thread Views: 79,730  (156,404)

Average Thread Views per Week: 11,390  (3,258)

Average Thread Views per Day: 1,627  (465)

Notes:   (i) S2H 2018 Race thread in (   ) frozen at 25 January.

(ii) Stats exclude Frant's 191 posts sent to the ether after he was sacked plus around 25 unknown post deletions or around 2 pages of posts.

(iii) At some point the rates (weekly and daily) stats will meet to determine the Winner.

While murdering the Main Race thread on Posts, the Thread View Rate not unexpectedly in the last 2 weeks has dropped off by around 20%.

So to counter this decline in Post and View Rates fresh bait is obviously needed in the form of a Post titled "The Butler Did It" and so good it will be picked up by the investigatory weight of the ABC.

Won't be long as I'm just awaiting for Miss Marple to thaw and her with a few questions which I will have to put up here first, before the printing press rolls on this detective masterpiece.

Regards

Hercule Poirot

IMG_20190215_183622.jpg

On 2/15/2019 at 6:39 PM, jack_sparrow said:

UGENTLY AWAITING THE ICE TO THAW

Well this thread 7 weeks old to the hour....

So to counter this decline in Post and View Rates fresh bait is obviously needed in the form of a Post titled "The Butler Did It" and so good it will be picked up by the investigatory weight of the ABC.

Won't be long as I'm just awaiting for Miss Marple to thaw and her with a few questions which I will have to put up here first, before the printing press rolls on this detective masterpiece.

Regards

Hercule Poirot

IMG_20190215_183622.jpg

Bump

Miss Marple and I do apologise for the delay here in getting 'The Butler Did It" to press. At the moment we are both up to our nuts in guts, well maybe not her, on another case of setting world sailing right.

Won't be long.

Hercule.

^^^^^  Interesting connection this race to the I’Punkt two way bilge pump affair. Andrew Cape Nav on InfoTrack was on board I’Punkt and was the whistleblower.

I-Punkt_ballast set up.jpg

8 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Interesting connection this race to the I’Punkt two way bilge pump affair. Andrew Cape Nav on InfoTrack was on board I’Punkt and was the whistleblower

And I believe Capey got nevertheless a 1 or 2 year ban himself. Do you happen to know why?  (I don't).

Had his bum on the boat so that is how he knew and spilt the beans. Ban was certainly on the cards and he had to fight against it. Don't recall the outcome as it sort of disappeared from view.

I hear Don Juan's Gittane consumption has gone through the roof.

UPDATE - "THE BUTLER DID IT"

My pending post titled "The Butler Did It" is now complete after checking by Miss Marple & Co. However now a mea culpa.

A detailed investigation like this costs a lot of fucking time and money so the exclusive media rights have been sold off to a major media entity. That transaction is subject to their due diligence still underway and until completed the story is embargoed or quarantined.

That said the deal is it gets released here first online in SA as an exclusive. My apologies for the delay.

Au revoir.

Hercule

IMG_20190224_034729.jpg

LED lighting found to 
interfere with VHF-FM 
radio and AIS reception
The U.S. Coast Guard has sounded the alarm over the 
potential for light-emitting diode (LED) lighting on vessels 
to compromise reception on VHF frequencies used for 
radiotelephone, Digital Selective Calling (DSC) and Automatic 
Identification System (AIS).

The distance at which the LED lighting 
starts to have an impact and whether 
the issue is limited to certain makes 
of lighting or navigation equipment, is 
unknown. 
The U.S. Coast Guard has asked the 
U.S. marine industry to provide more 
detail of known incidents. 
Due to their energy-saving capability 
and longer service life, LED lights are 
commonly used for navigation lighting, 
searchlights and floodlights, as well 
as interior and exterior lighting—
including those used for visual effect. 
The U.S. Coast Guard said that in one 
case, radio-frequency interference 
caused by LED lighting created a hazard 
that led to a serious safety incident. 
‘The maritime rescue coordination 
centre in a United States port was 
unable to contact a ship that was 
involved in a traffic-separation-scheme 
incident by VHF radio. That ship also 
experienced very poor AIS reception. 
‘Other ships have also experienced 
degradation of their VHF receivers 
(including AIS), caused by their LED 
navigation lights. LED lighting installed 
near VHF antennas has also been 
found to reduce reception.’ 
Strong radio interference from LED 
sources may not be immediately 
apparent to marine radio users, 
but there is a way to test for LED interference.

How to test for LED interference
1. Turn off your LED light 
2. Tune your VHF radio to a quiet 
channel, such as Channel 73 
3. Adjust your VHF radio’s squelch 
control until the radio outputs 
audio noise 
4. Re-adjust the squelch control until 
the audio noise is quiet—just 
slightly above the noise threshold
5. Turn your LED light back on 
6. If the radio starts crackling when 
you turn on the LED lights, it 
is likely that the LED lights are 
affecting both your on board VHF 
marine radio and AIS reception.

working-boats-december-2018_0.pdf

1 hour ago, Feilberg said:

LED lighting found to 
interfere with VHF-FM 
radio and AIS reception
The U.S. Coast Guard has sounded the alarm over the 
potential for light-emitting diode (LED) lighting on vessels 
to compromise reception on VHF frequencies used for 
radiotelephone, Digital Selective Calling (DSC) and Automatic 
Identification System (AIS)...

This LED lighting and VHF/AIS problem was identified by reputable manufacturers up to a decade before that USCG Safety Alert last year.

That USCG alert was directed to those in the US having LED gear not properly manufactured to Electro Magnetic Interferance (EMI) radio communications equipment standards both local and world wide for LED lighting used on boats.

A prime source of the problem in the US is old filament style masthead lighting DIY retro fitted with EMI non-compliant LED illuminators and its impact upon VHF/AIS. Therefore in so far as boats in Australia and in S2H race using locally or European sourced LED lighting, the prospects of that problem occuring are non existent, noting VHF Trancievers with mandatory masthead antennas are subject to pre-race test and most use a shared antenna for AIS and VHF via a splitter.

Likewise on WOXI otherwise they would have used that LED excuse. The reason they didn't is also because on the public record they have stated their RX AIS capability was not effected, only AIS TX and their VHF RX/TX not effected at all.

The WOXI "microwave fried my splitter" narrative was then born.

EMI-Scan-Graph.jpg

51zFfWtuZPL._SX679_.jpg.c4e1fd2390eb48e8a500e58cbfc5d526.jpg

That's a shame. I was hoping u wankers would be occupied for a few more pages.

Ah Jack is much much smarter than you think.

6 hours ago, Feilberg said:

That's a shame. I was hoping u wankers would be occupied for a few more pages.

You are a bigger wanker posting outside your postcode.

Just picked up the Sails article.

The so called expert is not identified.

The actual fault is not identified in any detail.

And there is no explanation as to the effect of the fault or how the AIS worked at a fuller strength later in the race or why the weak signal was picked up later in the race.

The article is a disgrace. 

As is the whole incident.

End of thread.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lydia said:

End of thread.

only if the 2018 S2H thread does also ;)

4 hours ago, paps49 said:

Subscription only, anyone with a synopses?

Sure. 

He's a cheat, somebody shot Gramps, the butler did it in the living room.  Oh, and it doesn't matter.

#bestboatworstskipper

Stirling effort guys, this horse has been well and truly flogged. 

So, the Sails article quotes an unnamed marine electronics expert who worked on WOXI. He diagnoses an "antenna fault" - "a high VSWR". Which he claims would have reduced the transmitting range down to half a nm. Proof of this issue is given as that WOXI's MMSI was visible on Marine Traffic, but not her name.

Groan. A high VSWR is a symptom, not a fault in and of itself. The question isn't that there was a high VSWR, but how the antenna system got that way. No mention of microwaves or splitters in the entire article. Furthermore, no explanation of the resurrection of the AIS system is given, nor does its resurrection match the wooly description of the fault.

The bit about the MMSI being visible but not the boat's name is just plain weird. Class-B AIS transmissions do not contain the boat's name. If the name is missing it is because MarineTraffic don't have the mapping from MMSI to boat name. Legacy class B units use an obsolete message format that does include the boat name. But there is no reason why a lack of power would affect the presence of the boat name in transmissions - especially if it were not supposed to be there.

On the whole the evidence from the "expert" is basically junk. Either he has no clue, or is just spouting BS to cover up the reality. The article claims that there was a "legitimate technical fault." Maybe, but the article never said what it was, and certainly gave no support to the idea. Just technobabble.

The rest of the Sails article is amusing. Mention of social media outrage in the opening paragraph, and a request for suggestions from all interested from the CYCA. 

• Like 3

I bet you guys can’t drag this to another new page. :P

4 hours ago, Francis Vaughan said:

.........On the whole the evidence from the "expert" is basically junk. Either he has no clue, or is just spouting BS to cover up the reality. The article claims that there was a "legitimate technical fault." Maybe, but the article never said what it was, and certainly gave no support to the idea. Just technobabble.

The rest of the Sails article is amusing. Mention of social media outrage in the opening paragraph, and a request for suggestions from all interested from the CYCA. 

Pathetic cop out/cover up.... Poor little spineless muppets. They can’t even enforce the rules they already have.....

Suggestion:

Only one required tracker on board ......AIS. Fully functioning and visible on the internet at all times. What you do for publicity is secondary to safety. Create a web app from AIS data for off boat PR and sponsorship purposes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Francis Vaughan said:

The bit about the MMSI being visible but not the boat's name is just plain weird. Class-B AIS transmissions do not contain the boat's name. If the name is missing it is because MarineTraffic don't have the mapping from MMSI to boat name. Legacy class B units use an obsolete message format that does include the boat name. But there is no reason why a lack of power would affect the presence of the boat name in transmissions - especially if it were not supposed to be there.

BS....

Class B AIS do transmit the name... How else do you see the name of all other yachts on your chart plotter? Everyone who has ever sailed with an AIS TX near me must be be using legacy transmitters.

I agree on MarineTraffic having mapping issues if it does not show a name.

Message 24
Class B CS Static Data Report: This message is sent every 6 minutes, the same time interval as for Class A transponders. Because of its length, this message is divided into two parts, sent within one minute of each other. This message was defined after the original AIS specifications, so some Class A units may need a firmware upgrade to be able to decode this message. MMSI, boat name, ship type, call sign, dimensions, and equipment vendor id.

This explains why when you first start receiving AIS, you quickly get the vessels displayed but the name takes longer to be shown.

22 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

Pathetic cop out/cover up.... Poor little clueless muppets. They can’t even enforce the rules they already have.....

Suggestion:

Only one required tracker on board ......AIS. Fully functioning and visible on the internet at all times. What you do for publicity is secondary to safety. Create a web app from AIS data for off boat PR and sponsorship purposes.

Do you understand how AIS works once you are out of range of shore based receiving stations?

Clearly not...

36 minutes ago, hoppy said:

This explains why when you first start receiving AIS, you quickly get the vessels displayed but the name takes longer to be shown.

Ugh, you got it. I was only looking in the type 18 message, I totally forgot about the type 24. 

So, OK, it is just possible that the rationale is that the transmissions were weak, the type 18 messages were sometimes received, enough times to get the occasional successful reception in the noise, but the type 24 is only infrequently transmitted and could easily be lost. OK, I'll give the "expert" the points on that one.

I still don't give him anything on the "high VSWR" as a reason.

27 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

Do you understand how it works?

Again, clearly not.

To receive AIS via satellite, you need a LEO satellite that is equipped with the appropriate receiver. Like Iridium, you need a lot of Satellite's in orbit to have a near 24/7 global coverage, which there is not. So there can be several hours between satellite passes that will pick up the signal.

Satellite AIS as a safety device is pretty piss poor compared to the trackers that use Iridium and the like.

8 hours ago, Francis Vaughan said:

3 hours ago, hoppy said:

BS....

Class B AIS do transmit the name... How else do you see the name of all other yachts on your chart plotter? Everyone who has ever sailed with an AIS TX near me must be be using legacy transmitters.

I agree on MarineTraffic having mapping issues if it does not show a name.

This explains why when you first start receiving AIS, you quickly get the vessels displayed but the name takes longer to be shown.

3 hours ago, Francis Vaughan said:

Ugh, you got it. I was only looking in the type 18 message, I totally forgot about the type 24

So, OK, it is just possible that the rationale is that the transmissions were weak, the type 18 messages were sometimes received, enough times to get the occasional successful reception in the noise, but the type 24 is only infrequently transmitted and could easily be lost. OK, I'll give the "expert" the points on that one.

You are both right and wrong.

Marine Traffic and other Internet AIS providers don't rely upon vessel name from a Class B Type 24 packet. They use their world wide MMSI data base to display vessel name not from the actual transmission recieved. WOXI is on that data base.

How do you think vessel particulars not in the AIS TX are displayed by web based AIS providers? How do you think satelite AIS recievers that only get weak Class B transmissions sometimes without a Type 24 packet recieved are still displayed with vessel name. Type WOXI's name into your AIS and those around you will think you are WOXI but the web won't be fooled. 

This article is another bullshit reconstruction as the "microwave fried splitter" claim clearly wasn't cutting the mustard, hence no follow up to Richards promise to provide same and no mention in this article. No wonder there is no "experts name" attached to that article and after two months not corroborated by one other 100'.

They keep making up shit to remove the notion their AIS wasn't turned off but damaged which is probably the case. Unfortunately it is having entirely the opposite effect.

• Like 2

On 2/26/2019 at 10:21 AM, trt131 said:

Interesting article in the latest issue of Sails magazine. An explanation of sorts.

23 hours ago, paps49 said:

Subscription only, anyone with a synopses?

20 hours ago, staysail said:

+1

17 hours ago, mad said:

Stirling effort guys, this horse has been well and truly flogged. 

Here you are you lazy cunts...I waited a while to see what views would be generated but with no one having the article to read. 

2069331065_images(13).jpeg.692b21176c83f1a0b33e26f5917e6a55.jpeg

9 hours ago, mad said:

I bet you guys can’t drag this to another new page. :P

Not a good bet Mad.

So here it is.

Sails Mag FebMarch 2019_WOXI AIS.pdf

Why, thank you Jack, some of us are on fixed incomes.

15 hours ago, Francis Vaughan said:

So, the Sails article quotes an unnamed marine electronics expert who worked on WOXI. He diagnoses an "antenna fault" - "a high VSWR". Which he claims would have reduced the transmitting range down to half a nm. Proof of this issue is given as that WOXI's MMSI was visible on Marine Traffic, but not her name.

Groan. A high VSWR is a symptom, not a fault in and of itself. The question isn't that there was a high VSWR, but how the antenna system got that way. No mention of microwaves or splitters in the entire article. Furthermore, no explanation of the resurrection of the AIS system is given, nor does its resurrection match the wooly description of the fault.

10 hours ago, Francis Vaughan said:

For those not into techno speak that Francis speaks of the full article I have just posted and attached again for those suffering dementia. Francis btw is dead right.

Voltage Standing-Wave Ratio (VSWR) issues on sailboats employing masthead antennas is nothing new for fixed VHF/AIS trancievers.

I won't go into the technical in detail in this post but will do so in a pending post indicating why no "expert" name is attached to this VSWR horseshit. It is exactly that if Sails Magazine has not misquoted that "expert". However I'm now detecting a disturbing trend.

VSWR of an VHF/AIS transmission measures the "standing waves" in the antenna cable ("feeder"). This is the transmission (TX) signal/power that is not transmitted in to the air by the antenna ("load"), but reflected back down the cable to the VHF/AIS "source". A hypothetical 100% of all power being transmitted into the air only happens if the impedance (resistance/ohms) of the source, feeder and load are identical or a VSWR Ratio 1.1 match. 

However the reality is coax cable run length, its gauge and number of connections where moisture can enter the cable core all effect impedance. There are also mechanical issues such as a masthead mounted antennas and G Forces to consider. So in practise on a well prepared and maintained race sailboat (cruisers worse) you might see a VSWR Ratio somewhere as high as even 3:1.

I hope that provides some assistance to understanding the techno gobblygook in that Sails Mag article where I have already dealt with the Marine Traffic AIS WOXI vessel name not displayed bullshit in my post #3869 above.

To quote the article " It ( meaning AIS ) is useful only when in VHF range of the other boat "

Total fucking bullshit.

In addition the article fails to explain how, approximately one hour after arrival at the dock, the AIS was suddenly working perfectly and did so for the next 3 days. Remember there was rather a lot going on when these " alleged " repairs were done. The grog was flowing big time. If we are to believe the article then some selfless little soul went down below forsaking all the free champagne and beer in order to fix the AIS. It wasn't Vila. He was filmed on deck as was MR.

SUUUURRE

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Here you are you lazy cunts...I waited a while to see what views would be generated but with no one having the article to read. 

2069331065_images(13).jpeg.692b21176c83f1a0b33e26f5917e6a55.jpeg

Not a good bet Mad.

So here it is.

Thanks Jack. That one is good to join the others competing on this subject for the hall of fame iniquity for sailing journalism! Seems that any journo trying to defend the WOXI position can't help but did them all a deeper hole!

So we now see printed words of wisdom quoting some unnamed but "highly respected" marine electronics technician, and by the way, when did any "technician" suddenly become an "expert"?. Never mind that - but this guy was "brought in" ,and paid presumably? by someone? Who paid him? and could there possibly have been any "conflict of interest" involved when his opinion is publicly quoted relating to a controversial issue? I find this particularly amusing since the protest was thrown out on the basis of a single person being perceived conflicted when the alleged AIS issue could have disadvantage numerous others and not just the one guy who mentioned it to the RC.

However, never mind all those considerations, this "expert" does seem to have confirmed that WOXI AIS wasn't working normally during the race. (normal operation according to this guy allowing a range of 10 to 12 miles). His analysis has therefore confirmed to the WOXI skipper that whilst his competitors could reasonably have expected to see WOXI AIS data and that of the other competitors at a range of 10 miles or more, during the race WOXI data was likely not receivable at a range exceeding half a mile.

I think we can take it as read that the SI requiring AIS to be working all the time, did actually mean that it should be working normally and not at a 20 fold range reduction!

This information therefore clarifies to the WOXI skipper that irrespective of whether his equipment was not functioning normally by intent or by accident, it wasn't working normally which is what the SIs required, and that he was therefore in breach of at least the spirit of the SIs and this "technical issue" with his AIS equipment irrespective of cause, disadvantaged his competitors.

Not a comfortable situation for the boat to be in several months after accepting a prestigious trophy and a load of prizes.

expert.jpg

There were a lot of posts on the original thread that dealt with this issue before Mid started this one.  Should be added here and well over 40 already !!!

6 hours ago, staysail said:

Thanks Jack. That one is good to join the others competing on this subject for the hall of fame iniquity for sailing journalism! Seems that any journo trying to defend the WOXI position can't help but did them all a deeper hole!

So we now see printed words of wisdom quoting some unnamed but "highly respected" marine electronics technician,..

Mate not that complicated. This thing is simple. There is a lot of cock being sucked and swallowed here. The stupid thing is the cockwarblers all think no one cares or notices so it will all be forgotten. Sails article indicates them cockwarblers are now very frustrated this thing is not going away as they planned.

Check out first sentence to that Sails article going for us!!!

6 minutes ago, DtM said:

There were a lot of posts on the original thread that dealt with this issue before Mid started this one.  Should be added here and well over 40 already !!!

Name one post DtM relevant to accounting for a IJ decision already now made. There is only a handfull who predicted that, the rest were blowing it out of their arse. This is now a sensible place.