Mid

2018 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race: The Race Committee has lodged a protest against Wild Oats XI

6 hours ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

@jack_sparrow my technical knowledge of the AIS tests isn’t as detailed as yours, I suppose  could google it but to be honest I don’t care that much, like @lydia I don’t think any of the five tests really matter if the set is turned off.

Sock some of the tech concepts are counter intuitive, however once grasped it is not a difficult subject.

Richard's legacy is not what occurred "on" the race course but "off" it. The former impossible to judge, the latter is on the public record and there for all to see.

Those at the very top are now contemplating making AIS the subject of compliance checking by RC's. All on account they have swallowed hook, line and sinker Richard's nonsense that AIS TX "can't be self-policed." A line he conjured up to underpin a non-conforming post-race Declaration.

If this compliance nonsense goes unchallenged, turnstiles will be needed at every Protest Room.  

15 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Sock some of the tech concepts are counter intuitive, however once grasped it is not a difficult subject.

Richard's legacy is not what occurred "on" the race course but "off" it. The former impossible to judge, the latter is on the public record and there for all to see.

Those at the very top are now contemplating making AIS the subject of compliance checking by RC's. All on account they have swallowed hook, line and sinker Richard's nonsense that AIS TX "can't be self-policed." A line he conjured up to underpin a non-conforming post-race Declaration.

If this compliance nonsense goes unchallenged, turnstiles will be needed at every Protest Room.  

One of the issues here is that the sport is self policing but so many at the pointy end of the fleet don’t want that because they don’t want to lodge a protest and be seen to be a sook. Mind you it’s not just the pointy end sailors that have that issue there are plenty of examples when skippers in the wrong have got away with it. I will also add that it’s not just the sailors sometimes a lack of confidence in the judicial (protest) system doesn’t help either.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

One of the issues here is that the sport is self policing but so many at the pointy end of the fleet don’t want that because they don’t want to lodge a protest and be seen to be a sook.

It is not an issue at all. "Self policing" is not just Protests? It starts with your own post-race Declaration and "policing yourself" (with competitors looking over your shoulder) is how the RRS are written.

BTW if you have experienced a genuine electronic failure and Declare it, you will/should survive any protest, either from the RC or any competitor. Doesn't matter what it is, AIS, Nav lights, VHF etc etc. 

• Like 1

Some AIS units have self diagnosis functions for VSWR. I know that’s not an answer to #5  but interesting nonetheless. 

I hope it’s not as simple as this ... but if the performance of an ais antenna to receive is proportional to it’s ability to transmit then you only need to know that you cant see boats on ais that you SHOULD  see to know that your TX maybe faulty. Ie boats you can see during the day or boats you can see on the tracker that will give you an accurate distance to make that judgment.

1 minute ago, Trickypig said:

Some AIS units have self diagnosis functions for VSWR. I know that’s not an answer to #5  but interesting nonetheless. 

Rumpelstiltskin go read AIS TX Tests #1 & #2.

16 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

hope it’s not as simple as this ... but if the performance of an ais antenna to receive is proportional to it’s ability to transmit then you only need to know that you cant see boats on ais that you SHOULD  see to know that your TX maybe faulty. Ie boats you can see during the day or boats you can see on the tracker that will give you an accurate distance to make that judgment.

It is. Congratulations you have picked AIS RX Test #5. Though by reading the opening two paragraphs before Prelude was a giveaway. This test is heavily conditioned as stated and one most least reliable. I will explain in future post why.

29 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

Ha!

AIS TX TESTS

1. VSWR Antenna & Errors Alarm: #1

ZSIM000-13611-001.JPG.0ebb34b8d9821882f0defbf3aee05200.JPG

2.VSWR, GPS, TX Message & Power Read Out Alarms With Log: #2

1218463435_VSWR-Alarm-NEW-with-Voltage(1).png.e413b4206171f2d7a369f7e40a5b9311.png

3. On-Line AIS Providers: #3

image.thumb.png.70e4472c4b16ceb3be9a1ceea3d0751f.png.370c8b68a7830ecf2c4175bf8babd148.png.f7e20a2ad990a595210c1417a9a872d0.png

4. VHF Reduced TX Range: #4

5. AIS Reduced RX Range: #5

This was like pulling teeth :-)

6 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

AIS TX TESTS

1. VSWR Antenna Alarm: #1

2.VSWR, GPS, TX Message & Power Read Out Alarms With Log: #2

1218463435_VSWR-Alarm-NEW-with-Voltage(1).png.e413b4206171f2d7a369f7e40a5b9311.png

3. On-Line AIS Providers: #3

image.thumb.png.70e4472c4b16ceb3be9a1ceea3d0751f.png.370c8b68a7830ecf2c4175bf8babd148.png.f7e20a2ad990a595210c1417a9a872d0.png

4. VHF Reduced TX Range: #4

5. AIS Reduced RX Range: #5

This was like pulling teeth :-)

Nobody wants the painful ridicule 

Especially lly from  LB15 who teaches AIS.

;)

22 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

;)

I betcha his class notes will now be a bit longer then  :-)

22 minutes ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

I don’t know pulling teeth can be fun

Fun?? How so Sock???

Putting glass at other side of the bedroom and throwing them in??

images (73).jpeg

6 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Fun?? How so Sock???

Putting glass at other side of the bedroom and throwing them in??

images (73).jpeg

I meant if they’re not your teeth that are being pulled

1 hour ago, Trickypig said:

;)

yes, but lets be honest,

what boats have the free time to have someone constantly checking the AIS interface status.

the most accurate way would be for the RC / Competitors if they wish to protest for an AIS infringement then they should have to declare it at a sked or on VHF, Positive acknowledgement by the boat that they aren't receiving a competitors signals, then they should have the opportunity to correct a "defective" AIS.

10 minutes ago, hoodlum said:

yes, but lets be honest,

what boats have the free time to have someone constantly checking the AIS interface status.

Honestly you don't have to keep checking anything at all.

AIS Test #1 is an automatic "self test" done every 30 seconds and it is "alarmed" to give a "visual error message" on display(s) AIS is connected to plus an "audio alarm" on most compatible MFD's.

It's idiot proof.

3 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

AIS Test #1 is an automatic "self test" done every 30 seconds and it is "alarmed" to give a "visual error message" on display(s) AIS is connected to plus an "audio alarm" on most compatible MFD's.

It's idiot proof.

Apparently not if you’re on WOXI

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

Apparently not if you’re on WOXI

That doesn't mean your AIS TX has stopped. It keeps transmitting but at a "reduced TX range". Then the decision is does that "reduced TX range" comply or not comply with the Race Documents. That is a Skipper decision.

46 minutes ago, hoodlum said:

the most accurate way would be for the RC / Competitors if they wish to protest for an AIS infringement then they should have to declare it at a sked or on VHF, Positive acknowledgement by the boat that they aren't receiving a competitors signals, then they should have the opportunity to correct a "defective" AIS.

That is the "least accurate and subjective" as who determines what a competitors AIS TX range should be and whether it complies or not with race rules? It could also be their own vessels AIS RX not functioning properly, not the TX vessel. Responsibility for compliance is the TX vessels skipper, not some other turkey.

VHF on Ch 16 activation is mandatory and it's not checked and relies on "self policing". Why should AIS be any different?

Putting the above aside, what you suggest just guarantees a line up at the Protest Room. There is also an argument such advise constitutes "external assistance." So protest or shut up.

Any move away from "self policing" and more fucking rules is a plague on the sport.

46 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

That doesn't mean your AIS TX has stopped. It keeps transmitting but at a "reduced TX range". Then the decision is does that "reduced TX range" comply or not comply with the Race Documents. That is a Skipper decision.

I’m suggesting that it was a conscious decision to switch it off

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

It is. Congratulations you have picked AIS RX Test #5. Though by reading the opening two paragraphs before Prelude was a giveaway. This test is heavily conditioned as stated and one most least reliable. I will explain in future post why.

As you note, it isn't a direct 1-1 relationship, but, and I'm sure you have already given this some thought, the implications of the reasonably direct relationship between Tx and Rx performance of an antenna leave yet another set of questions for the continual WOXI psuedo-technical excuses.  If BJ couldn't see WOXI, and if it was an antenna fault on WOXI, it is reasonably likely WOXI couldn't see BJ. That would hardly go unnoticed. Indeed, if the antenna was faulty as claimed, WOXI would hardly have ever seen another boat on AIS.

Still, in the spirit of trying to move toward making the future better, I won't belabour the point.

Just now, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

I realise that is your opinion Sock. However there is no evidence to support it and it is also contrary to at least one independent party that WOXI's RX Range was seriously reduced, not TX turned off. That may be bollocks, but knowing the individual I seriously doubt that.

Would I play golf with Richo...never.

42 minutes ago, Francis Vaughan said:

As you note, it isn't a direct 1-1 relationship, but, and I'm sure you have already given this some thought, the implications of the reasonably direct relationship between Tx and Rx performance ....If BJ couldn't see WOXI, and if it was an antenna fault on WOXI, it is reasonably likely WOXI couldn't see BJ. That would hardly go unnoticed. Indeed, if the antenna was faulty as claimed, WOXI would hardly have ever seen another boat on AIS.

Unfortunately it not as simple as that Francis. In some cases there is no relationship at all between RX and TX  depending on the "cause" of the fault.

For example we have been told the issue of reduced AIS TX range was a "high VSWR" (or TX power loss returned to the AIS Transponder to become heat), but that is not a "cause," but a "outcome" as you know  Note: In fact not "high" but "catastrophic" is a better description with a reduction in TX power times by > 0.0001 (or a lot of heat) by my calculations if TX range was reduced to 0.50 nautical mile as reported.

Depending on the "cause" of that high VSWR, the relationship between RX and TX could be zero or something more than that. Without knowing the "cause" and reduced RX range, if any, one can only speculate. I do have a theory on "cause", but that is all it is in the absence of that information.

4 hours ago, Trickypig said:

;)

I thought he teaches people not to use it?  

LB's term is Nittendo Navigators I recall which I agree about those who rely upon everything electronic and in case of AIS to ignore COLREGS. So use it yes but to supplement not replace. On race course LB not a fan of the "non-tactical" use or "follow the leader" with AIS which I agree, but in a Tracked Race that doesn't mean a lot. So then "tactical" use knowing SOG/COG changes every 30 sec, like when when they have changed drivers and the owner is steering so time to strike. Got to be in contact range to take advantage of that though so not much use to the useless.

On 3/24/2019 at 3:16 AM, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

I’ve got a backstaff stored away somewhere, only used once!

By Christopher Columbus?

now with these new players here, this could stay alive.... Has MR showed up yet...?

39 minutes ago, PIL66 said:

now with these new players here, this could stay alive.... Has MR showed up yet...?

Yeah probably at a resort in the Maldives mate. 

1 hour ago, PIL66 said:

He's here fishing around to see our reaction in case the truth comes out. 

13 hours ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

1 hour ago, PIL66 said:

PIL Should I make a comeback ... ?

Has anyone got an opinion on Ricco's claim that all the 100's could see each other anyway? According to PH's complaint this wasn't the case? I ask this as I think it's very relevant to the advantage of Wild Oats over taking Comanche. Wild Oats went wider from memory in search of more pressure and to provide an overtaking lane, could Comanche see them doing this? This aside in little pressure not sure if Comanche could have sustained the lead anyway. Keep the Derwent finish or scrap it as a separate question? I don't expect them to ever do this but just sayin.........

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

Has anyone got an opinion on Ricco's claim that all the 100's could see each other anyway? 

He must have really good eye sight, especially at night.

2 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

PIL Should I make a comeback ... ?

Absolutely......... or not

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

Has anyone got an opinion on Ricco's claim that all the 100's could see each other anyway? According to PH's complaint this wasn't the case? I ask this as I think it's very relevant to the advantage of Wild Oats over taking Comanche. Wild Oats went wider from memory in search of more pressure and to provide an overtaking lane, could Comanche see them doing this? This aside in little pressure not sure if Comanche could have sustained the lead anyway. Keep the Derwent finish or scrap it as a separate question? I don't expect them to ever do this but just sayin.........

Comanche did not see them go wide.  They were in AIS stealth mode.

18 hours ago, hoodlum said:

yes, but lets be honest,

18 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

It's idiot proof.

Hoodlum your comment and my reply about monitoring of AIS TX signal quality being done automatically and alarms displayed remotely reminded me of something. Remotely is because AIS Transponders (and their inbuilt function LED lights) are often tucked away out of view, just like WOXI's behind Nav St bulkhead.

That all makes Richards saying they never knew they had a AIS TX problem until hitting the dock rather strange when in  Sail World 31 Dec interview he said;  "Unless someone tells you that you are not transmitting, there is no way that you know." and "There is a light which shows on the AIS that you are transmitting, and ours was." 

If you don't know you have a TX problem, why go ferreting around to check the function LED lights on a hidden AIS Transponder?

It would naturally be the first thing you would do if say your VSWR RX Alarm came up. At the same time also check the TX LED light on your Splitter.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

That is the "least accurate and subjective" as who determines what a competitors AIS TX range should be and whether it complies or not with race rules? It could also be their own vessels AIS RX not functioning properly, not the TX vessel. Responsibility for compliance is the TX vessels skipper, not some other turkey.

VHF on Ch 16 activation is mandatory and it's not checked and relies on "self policing". Why should AIS be any different?

Putting the above aside, what you suggest just guarantees a line up at the Protest Room. There is also an argument such advise constitutes "external assistance." So protest or shut up.

Any move away from "self policing" and more fucking rules is a plague on the sport.

This is the core of the issue here. 

AIS and other new technology will and should be adopted to their full extent. It is the mindset of the competitors that needs to brought in line with its advantages rather than the perceived disadvantages.

A comparable analogy is Body cameras worn by Police - lots of talk that this unfairly obligates Officers. Bollocks I say - having been on the end of a trigger happy cop - I want to know that their actions are recorded and are not open to being tampered with. 

Safety matters - even if this race has become perceived as a coastal sprint - the next time a major storm savages the fleet you will suddenly see all yachts AIS functions miraculously come to life............ And the people who both do this, and tolerate this, need to be both outed and disqualified.

The WOXI story as laid out by MR stinks. The following actions of the RC and PC also stink. The stench is not limited to these people.

The Turd on the carpet remains - you just need to open your eyes to see it; Despite the attempts by cetain closely aligned media to deodorise the situation.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

If you don't know you have a TX problem, why go ferreting around to check the function LED lights on a hidden AIS Transponder?

Supports my general view that most of what MR said was knee jerk off the cuff stuff that was uttered without engaging the brain. "Ours was" is the typical "it can't possibly be our/my fault therefore the light was on" as opposed to "I know someone checked and they would have told me if there was a problem."  It never got better from thereon in. Just moving goalposts as to why it could not possibly be their fault. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Francis Vaughan said:

Supports my general view that most of what MR said was knee jerk off the cuff stuff that was uttered without engaging the brain.

That was a couple of days of drafting by Mumbles PR. Nothing off the cuff there. 

Knee jerk off the cuff was on the dock him saying AIS wasn't mandatory.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Francis Vaughan said:

Supports my general view that most of what MR said was knee jerk off the cuff stuff that was uttered without engaging the brain. "Ours was" is the typical "it can't possibly be our/my fault therefore the light was on" as opposed to "I know someone checked and they would have told me if there was a problem."  It never got better from thereon in. Just moving goalposts as to why it could not possibly be their fault. 

Some say that that would be Richo's general MO.  Allegedly.

Thankfully Jack you will lead us to water. It's been a long drove.

Maybe we are a dying breed who still believe in competition.

4 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

Some say that that would be Richo's general MO.  Allegedly.

And he's not an orphan.

36 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Ohhhh fuck now I have to write some more. Thanks PapsSmear 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, terrafirma said:

4 hours ago, paps49 said:

Now I'm feeling like the "sole bird on the wire." being shat on from above and who has to either speak up or just fly away. In approaching 3 months of some 4K posts and over 90K views to this thread, or over 1,000 views per day average, no one has posted "AISGATE" on the race course in detail. I find that quite bizzare. Well my wings are fucked and I'm stuck, so here goes. 

1882914606_images(53).jpeg.e218618f55413917b78bf4325e42972b.jpeg  

TIME TO PUT A FEW "AISGATE" URBAN MYTHS TO BED

A. THE LEAD UP TO AISGATE

It is around midnight Thurs/Friday  or 27/28 December and 100's approaching the Maria Is Layline for WOXI and Comanche being on different Gybes and the Tracker as Trackers do simply recording pretty useless  SOG/COG snapshots at 10 minute intervals, that I went to MarineTraffic (which I seldom ever do) knowing they were within Tas AIS Repeater Range and worried my LH money on WOXI was going down the shitter. Low and behold I find WOXI was not showing up on AIS and her last AIS TX received was fucking Bradleys Head B4 the Start. WTF and alarm bells started going off. So I saved that and then some subsequent Tracker screen prints thinking those tucked up in bed in Australia are going to go epileptic when they see this. I had no idea obviously at the time what was in store. 

It was clear by the last forecast Thursday that a NW to SW Change would come through at or before the 100' got to Tasman Light and after that Storm Bay would not be glass out as well as the Derwent with a daylight finish. Thank God for once I thought. So the approach and first around into Storm Bay will probably be the decider, particularly as the 2 fat boats had done a brilliant job hanging onto the two skinny boats in the lighter stuff on Thursday and Comanche who contrary to my prediction "brained it." Sorry @PIL66 you knew better than I. I then started looking at the Tasman Light weather station to get real time observations as to the timing of that SW change and how may WOXI money was looking.

So mindful of @terrafirma and @paps49posts I have now got around to marking up those time stamped Tracker results including two detailed locations, one off that Maria Is Layline at around 0045 and the other for the Tasman Light Approach at around 0345 Local Time when the NW to Sth Change came through. Both can be regarded scenes of the "AIS Crime".

B. MY OPINIONS

I'm sure many will have their own opinions but for what they are worth here are mine at the time and explained using the following time stamped Tracker snapshots.

Note: For brevity I have omitted any reference to InfoTrack not out disrespect, to the contrary having regard to comparative team resources offset arguably by Team Bekking/Cape being on the same boat, produced a remarkable and worthy outcome for a old first edition fat boat.

1. Weather Routing from Maria Is at around 0045 AEDT to Tasman Light.  

It was obvious by the Tracker after the Maria Is Gybe, Juan Vila (Navigator) on WOXI was prepared to carry it further and stay east even if it meant burning up some VMC. So his rounding strategy of staying wide in advance of the NW to SW Change was pretty clear in advance. Seeing what was happening via AIS to say Comanche where it got flaky inshore around this time reinforced that decision. Commanche and BlackJack  (BJ in in particular) on the other hand were happy to go max VMC after passing Maria by staying inshore and west, so their rounding strategy pretty obvious being they may even have to gybe later down the race track when breeze started to soften and clock south.

256542117_20181228_TasmanLightApproach_0045-0500AEDT_A.jpg.c556d9e019642891c42e08a079f9117f.jpg

1099446626_20181228_0045AEDT_AbeamMariaIs.jpg.0597e47bac6f6f94657163dcaf212bc8.jpg

715410641_20181228_0345AEDT_TasmanLight_SthChange.jpg.a7009abcda7c18f487d948a0d431accb.jpg

This is in fact what occurred. By the way all this occurring "real time" in the "dead of night" and with WOXI  being AIS "dark" to other competitors beyond say 0.5 nautical mile as reported in Sails Magazine Feb/March 2019.

2. The SW Change on Tasman Light Approach around 0345 AEDT 

WOXI was the most easterly and Black Jack the most westerly with Comanche in between. Just before this is the scene of another potential"AIS crime" as articulated by Black Jack to the media upon hitting the dock. No one could see WOXI's conditions on AIS but WOXI could see them first get bogged, then having to gybe east. WOXI kept her distance and reinforcing a rounding plan hatched off Maria Is long before. WOXI absolutely blitzed the last section of this Maria Is to Tasman Light rounding approach.

As for any 100' competitors getting WOXI's real time weather conditions using just the Tracker, have a look at the screen grab for 0345 AEDT. WOXI was heading home to Sydney. If that the only Tracker gobblygook result, it alone equates to 20 minutes for other competitors being in the "dark" (and daylight still over an hour away), noting the LH #1 and #2 delta was not much more than that. The 2 fat boats bogged and the 2 skinny boats got around Tasman Is quicker.

3. The Tasman Light Rounding at Daylight

On account of the above the rounding order at Tasman Light then became the LH  finish order as there were no speed bumps in either Storm Bay or the Derwent and as forecast the day before.

4. The 1st Tragedy of AISGATE

Juan Vila's (Navigator on WOXI) decision to carry their Maria Is gybe further and gain an easterly leverage for the approach and rounding of Tasman Is with the SW change in mind. With no shadow of a doubt this why why WOXI was first over the line. Unfortunately a professional accolade flushed down the toilet by his own Skipper's subsequent actions once hitting the dock.If I was Vila I would be very pissed off. 

5. The 2nd Tragedy of AISGATE 

This was Black Jacks bleat to the media and not mounting a Protest.. As you can see by reference to these Tracker pics, Black Jack was the most westerly boat at the scene of both "AIS Crimes," the second in particular. Black Jack put herself there, no one else and was the one most least effected by not knowing what WOXI was doing courtesy of AIS. That said I believe that outcome more setup on a relatively new boat than a weather routing outcome. Commanche in fact actually has a far greater axe to grind being further east and potentially being able to correct their approach knowing what WOXI was doing but didn't know. I don't think it is a coincidence that of the Black Jack "afterguard", both Navigator and Skipper did not buy into the media bleat, only the Owner and paid Tactician (Butters). Black Jack being too far west says more to why no Protest was mounted than anything else, despite the frustration experienced. That aside a big bad mark for bleating with no protest but passing the buck to the RC to do so far worse.

6. The 3rd Tragedy of AISGATE

Mark Richards totally ignoring the Race Documentation (using a story concocted being no way you can tell if your AIS TX is working, despite #1 - #5 upthread) with only one thing on his mind it seems, being "redemption for WOXI" so he and the Oatley Family could raise a "9 Finger Salute" after not making the finish line in two prior races and a third being blown off the water by a Protest of Richard's own making. That ignorance either intentional or otherwise is underpinned by a post-race Declaration according to the RRS (Racing Rules Sailing) for WOXI clearly being not in order, according to what transpired both on and off the race course.

7. The 4th Tragedy of AISGATE

A Race Committee (RC), Race Organiser (RO) the CYCA and potentially even the races International Jury (IJ) having exactly the same thinking as Mark Richards and Team WOXIas evidenced by a Claytons Protest destined to be deemed invalid under the RRS, namely the 2018 S2H RC Protest WOXI.   

That outcome underpins the claim being the RRS Declaraton provisions were never looked at all by the RCC or the IJ. That is bizzare by any subjective measure. The irony is that if they had been via either RC investigation (automatic penalty no hearing under Si) or alternatively via an IJ Hearing which void the "conflicted rule" in the RRS, then claims about the lack of AIS TX propagation strength by Mark Richards and Team WOXI would have been vindicated, then no penalty would have eventuated.That never occurred so this is where the smell from the turd still sitting on the carpet as @Boinksays upthread gets even stronger.       

8. The 6th Tragedy of AISGATE

Those at the very top of our sport world wide are now contemplating making AIS the subject of compliance checking by RC's. All on account they have swallowed hook, line and sinker Mark Richard's and Team WOXI's nonsense that AIS TX "can't be self-policed." A line Richards conjured up to underpin a non-conforming post-race Declaration and a line which has no technical basis as proved up thread by AIS TX Tests #1 - #5. If this total disregard for the paper/digital post-race Declarations are written on and this compliance nonsense goes unchallenged, turnstiles will be needed at every Protest Room. All concepts then of "self policing" are thrown out in favour of introducing more rules. That and more rules where interpretation favours some is the scourge of this sport which both discourages entry and participation.

9. Conclusion

So six (6) Tragedies all instigated by just one guy wanting to have 9 fingers in the air for one race and could have all been easily avoided by following RRS regarding Declarations and still have 9 fingers up if what happened to WOXI's AIS is actually what happened. Has anyone in world sailing ever achieved 6 tragedies in one race for one finger? Must be a world record surely? One can only assume his sole remaining thumb is up his own arse and that of the one paying him. Wow that must be a fucking thumb juggle.

The real fools in this are the people who put up with this shit and say absolutely nothing, yet complain when it happens to them.

12d264151816a3598e1d6eb95fe65307.png.ea0fd634c5eee54e06114d0702d09bb8.png

4 hours ago, paps49 said:

PS. Is that good enough for you PapSmear?? I get it now...you pricks are just wearing me out so I just drop dead and fall off the wire. 

• Like 6

Jack re Oat’s gybe. I think the important thing to understand here is that it was a decision taken when BJ snd  Infotrack slowed inshore. BJ were still ahead and had they seen Oats do this they may have gone with them with the same strategy in mind for a possible early sw.

They only had information on their other 2 competitors though and with their strength being lighter airs their only decision could possibly be to stay with them.

i think they were the most affected by lack of performance information from osts.

4 hours ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

@jack_sparrow far be it for a little sock to take from your glory but you’ve jumped from tradegy 4 to 6 giving us only 5 in total.

I sliced 5 out as was more opinion than factual and forgot to re number.

• Like 1

Just now, jack_sparrow said:

If you can find 3 more you could give the nine finger salute too!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Trickypig said:

i think they were the most affected by lack of performance information from osts.

It is relative to information and capacity to react not outcome. The further away the most effected but further away less able to react to information compared to someone closer.

@jack_sparrow Well played sir. You have carried out a materclass in keeping your powder dry til the appropriate  time; which is very refreshing in this era of soundbites and Fox style sensationalism which always seeks to be trigger happy and goes off half cocked....... 

We can only hope that the administrators of this race take your findings as seriously as they pretend and purport to be.......

I hope that you also send your findings in an official capacity to Australian Sailing and World Sailing et al. This cannot be allowed to settle and become history in manner that it was so poorly dealt with by the CYCA.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Boink said:

@jack_sparrow Well played sir. You have carried out a materclass in keeping your powder dry til the appropriate  time; which is very refreshing in this era of soundbites and Fox style sensationalism which always seeks to be trigger happy and goes off half cocked....... 

We can only hope that the administrators of this race take your findings as seriously as they pretend and purport to be.......

I hope that you also send your findings in an official capacity to Australian Sailing and World Sailing et al. This cannot be allowed to settle and become history in manner that it was so poorly dealt with by the CYCA.

Sorry but on past evidence the two aforementioned bodies (AS & WS) will do nothing

Just now, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

Sorry but on past evidence the two aforementioned bodies (AS & WS) will do nothing

I get that.

However, now that the pot is nicely stirred up, it becomes very hard for these bodies to NOT respond or react without offering explanation.

It is that explanation which is worth the price of admission..... Awkward doesn't cover it.

@jack_sparrow has referenced the need for turnstiles - fortunately large (and I mean stadium sized) venues have those.......

13 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Now I'm feeling like the "sole bird on the wire." being shat on from above and who has to either speak up or just fly away. In approaching 3 months of some 4K posts and over 90K views to this thread, or over 1,000 views per day average, no one has posted "AISGATE" on the race course in detail. I find that quite bizzare. Well my wings are fucked and I'm stuck, so here goes. 

1882914606_images(53).jpeg.e218618f55413917b78bf4325e42972b.jpeg  

TIME TO PUT A FEW "AISGATE" URBAN MYTHS TO BED

A. THE LEAD UP TO AISGATE

It is around midnight Thurs/Friday  or 27/28 December and 100's approaching the Maria Is Layline for WOXI and Comanche being on different Gybes and the Tracker as Trackers do simply recording pretty useless  SOG/COG snapshots at 10 minute intervals, that I went to MarineTraffic (which I seldom ever do) knowing they were within Tas AIS Repeater Range and worried my LH money on WOXI was going down the shitter. Low and behold I find WOXI was not showing up on AIS and her last AIS TX received was fucking Bradleys Head B4 the Start. WTF and alarm bells started going off. So I saved that and then some subsequent Tracker screen prints thinking those tucked up in bed in Australia are going to go epileptic when they see this. I had no idea obviously at the time what was in store. 

It was clear by the last forecast Thursday that a NW to SW Change would come through at or before the 100' got to Tasman Light and after that Storm Bay would not be glass out as well as the Derwent with a daylight finish. Thank God for once I thought. So the approach and first around into Storm Bay will probably be the decider, particularly as the 2 fat boats had done a brilliant job hanging onto the two skinny boats in the lighter stuff on Thursday and Comanche who contrary to my prediction "brained it." Sorry @PIL66 you knew better than I. I then started looking at the Tasman Light weather station to get real time observations as to the timing of that SW change and how may WOXI money was looking.

So mindful of @terrafirma and @paps49posts I have now got around to marking up those time stamped Tracker results including two detailed locations, one off that Maria Is Layline at around 0045 and the other for the Tasman Light Approach at around 0345 Local Time when the NW to Sth Change came through. Both can be regarded scenes of the "AIS Crime".

B. MY OPINIONS

I'm sure many will have their own opinions but for what they are worth here are mine at the time and explained using the following time stamped Tracker snapshots.

Note: For brevity I have omitted any reference to InfoTrack not out disrespect, to the contrary having regard to comparative team resources offset arguably by Team Bekking/Cape being on the same boat, produced a remarkable and worthy outcome for a old first edition fat boat.

1. Weather Routing from Maria Is at around 0045 AEDT to Tasman Light.  

It was obvious by the Tracker after the Maria Is Gybe, Juan Vila (Navigator) on WOXI was prepared to carry it further and stay east even if it meant burning up some VMC. So his rounding strategy of staying wide in advance of the NW to SW Change was pretty clear in advance. Seeing what was happening via AIS to say Comanche where it got flaky inshore around this time reinforced that decision. Commanche and BlackJack  (BJ in in particular) on the other hand were happy to go max VMC after passing Maria by staying inshore and west, so their rounding strategy pretty obvious being they may even have to gybe later down the race track when breeze started to soften and clock south.

256542117_20181228_TasmanLightApproach_0045-0500AEDT_A.jpg.c556d9e019642891c42e08a079f9117f.jpg

1099446626_20181228_0045AEDT_AbeamMariaIs.jpg.0597e47bac6f6f94657163dcaf212bc8.jpg

715410641_20181228_0345AEDT_TasmanLight_SthChange.jpg.a7009abcda7c18f487d948a0d431accb.jpg

This is in fact what occurred. By the way all this occurring "real time" in the "dead of night" and with WOXI  being AIS "dark" to other competitors beyond say 0.5 nautical mile as reported in Sails Magazine Feb/March 2019.

2. The SW Change on Tasman Light Approach around 0345 AEDT 

WOXI was the most easterly and Black Jack the most westerly with Comanche in between. Just before this is the scene of another potential"AIS crime" as articulated by Black Jack to the media upon hitting the dock. No one could see WOXI's conditions on AIS but WOXI could see them first get bogged, then having to gybe east. WOXI kept her distance and reinforcing a rounding plan hatched off Maria Is long before. WOXI absolutely blitzed the last section of this Maria Is to Tasman Light rounding approach.

As for any 100' competitors getting WOXI's real time weather conditions using just the Tracker, have a look at the screen grab for 0345 AEDT. WOXI was heading home to Sydney. If that the only Tracker gobblygook result, it alone equates to 20 minutes for other competitors being in the "dark" (and daylight still over an hour away), noting the LH #1 and #2 delta was not much more than that. The 2 fat boats bogged and the 2 skinny boats got around Tasman Is quicker.

3. The Tasman Light Rounding at Daylight

On account of the above the rounding order at Tasman Light then became the LH  finish order as there were no speed bumps in either Storm Bay or the Derwent and as forecast the day before.

4. The 1st Tragedy of AISGATE

Juan Vila's (Navigator on WOXI) decision to carry their Maria Is gybe further and gain an easterly leverage for the approach and rounding of Tasman Is with the SW change in mind. With no shadow of a doubt this why why WOXI was first over the line. Unfortunately a professional accolade flushed down the toilet by his own Skipper's subsequent actions once hitting the dock.If I was Vila I would be very pissed off. 

5. The 2nd Tragedy of AISGATE 

This was Black Jacks bleat to the media and not mounting a Protest.. As you can see by reference to these Tracker pics, Black Jack was the most westerly boat at the scene of both "AIS Crimes," the second in particular. Black Jack put herself there, no one else and was the one most least effected by not knowing what WOXI was doing courtesy of AIS. That said I believe that outcome more setup on a relatively new boat than a weather routing outcome. Commanche in fact actually has a far greater axe to grind being further east and potentially being able to correct their approach knowing what WOXI was doing but didn't know. I don't think it is a coincidence that of the Black Jack "afterguard", both Navigator and Skipper did not buy into the media bleat, only the Owner and paid Tactician (Butters). Black Jack being too far west says more to why no Protest was mounted than anything else, despite the frustration experienced. That aside a big bad mark for bleating with no protest but passing the buck to the RC to do so far worse.

6. The 3rd Tragedy of AISGATE

Mark Richards totally ignoring the Race Documentation (using a story concocted being no way you can tell if your AIS TX is working, despite #1 - #5 upthread) with only one thing on his mind it seems, being "redemption for WOXI" so he and the Oatley Family could raise a "9 Finger Salute" after not making the finish line in two prior races and a third being blown off the water by a Protest of Richard's own making. That ignorance either intentional or otherwise is underpinned by a post-race Declaration according to the RRS (Racing Rules Sailing) for WOXI clearly being not in order, according to what transpired both on and off the race course.

7. The 4th Tragedy of AISGATE

A Race Committee (RC), Race Organiser (RO) the CYCA and potentially even the races International Jury (IJ) having exactly the same thinking as Mark Richards and Team WOXIas evidenced by a Claytons Protest destined to be deemed invalid under the RRS, namely the 2018 S2H RC Protest WOXI.   

That outcome underpins the claim being the RRS Declaraton provisions were never looked at all by the RCC or the IJ. That is bizzare by any subjective measure. The irony is that if they had been via either RC investigation (automatic penalty no hearing under Si) or alternatively via an IJ Hearing which void the "conflicted rule" in the RRS, then claims about the lack of AIS TX propagation strength by Mark Richards and Team WOXI would have been vindicated, then no penalty would have eventuated.That never occurred so this is where the smell from the turd still sitting on the carpet as @Boinksays upthread gets even stronger.       

8. The 6th Tragedy of AISGATE

Those at the very top of our sport world wide are now contemplating making AIS the subject of compliance checking by RC's. All on account they have swallowed hook, line and sinker Mark Richard's and Team WOXI's nonsense that AIS TX "can't be self-policed." A line Richards conjured up to underpin a non-conforming post-race Declaration and a line which has no technical basis as proved up thread by AIS TX Tests #1 - #5. If this total disregard for the paper/digital post-race Declarations are written on and this compliance nonsense goes unchallenged, turnstiles will be needed at every Protest Room. All concepts then of "self policing" are thrown out in favour of introducing more rules. That and more rules where interpretation favours some is the scourge of this sport which both discourages entry and participation.

9. Conclusion

So six (6) Tragedies all instigated by just one guy wanting to have 9 fingers in the air for one race and could have all been easily avoided by following RRS regarding Declarations and still have 9 fingers up if what happened to WOXI's AIS is actually what happened. Has anyone in world sailing ever achieved 6 tragedies in one race for one finger? Must be a world record surely? One can only assume his sole remaining thumb is up his own arse and that of the one paying him. Wow that must be a fucking thumb juggle.

The real fools in this are the people who put up with this shit and say absolutely nothing, yet complain when it happens to them.

12d264151816a3598e1d6eb95fe65307.png.ea0fd634c5eee54e06114d0702d09bb8.png

PS. Is that good enough for you PapSmear?? I get it now...you pricks are just wearing me out so I just drop dead and fall off the wire. 

Jack.. I have just gotten Android Auto working in my car, do you do your own Podcasts? This is brilliant. Just sayin.. another means of staying informed and entertained would be great? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boink said:

I get that.

However, now that the pot is nicely stirred up, it becomes very hard for these bodies to NOT respond or react without offering explanation.

It is that explanation which is worth the price of admission..... Awkward doesn't cover it.

@jack_sparrow has referenced the need for turnstiles - fortunately large (and I mean stadium sized) venues have those.......

This just in from a meeting of WOXI, AS and WS on the issue of AIS

F9DB1178-D9FE-49AC-A01B-54F7F9981E31.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

This just in from a meeting of WOXI, AS and WS on the issue of AIS

F9DB1178-D9FE-49AC-A01B-54F7F9981E31.jpeg

Me thinks you have seen Good Morning Vietnam........ Of course that is just between you and me (on the QT) ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

4 hours ago, Boink said:

I get that.

Actually AS response is rolling thanks to this, albeit unofficially.

Roger McMillan Editor  My Sailing said on 30 Dec: "Before next year's sailing instructions are written, the Race Committee needs to examine the issue of AIS reliability and determine a way to prove, conclusively, whether an AIS transmitter is turned on or not. If they can't prove it one way or the other, then the requirement for AIS has to be removed until they can." and  "In summary, the Race Committee shouldn't make rules it can't or won't enforce."

Maybe more officially is Matt Allen S2H legend and President of SA saying to Sails Mag FebMarch 2019_WOXI AIS.pdf; "It's been a test to a new rule that probably needed more thinking about in terms of how they were going to deal with compliance of it."

As you can see Australian Sailing have already swallowed Richards line you can't tell if your AIS is transmitting. They think it can't be self-policed and so compliance monitoring falls to the RC. All over a bullshit line that Richards conjured up to stay clear of a RC Declaration protest.

Richards and that 9th finger really have done a good job on the sport.

Firstly,  please everybody stop quoting Jack in his entirety, a snip will do.  That's no way to push up the page count.

Jack, fair play has rarely had a better warrior, you have done her proud under extreme pressure.

Upshot is the quants won't get away with that or something similar as easily in future.

The AIS rules will be sorted which IMHO is a good result.

All eyes will be on MR's every move in future which is is also OK, IMHO.

1 hour ago, paps49 said:

Upshot is the quants won't get away with that or something similar as easily in future.

The AIS rules will be sorted which IMHO is a good result.

All eyes will be on MR's every move in future which is is also OK, IMHO.

Existing rules are fine. At the pre race briefings last edition reminding everyone about the mandatory AIS activation provision and for all future S2H editions, all that is needed is to have added/add the following to the briefing..

"Like numerous mandatory activation provisions like VHF Ch 16 in the SI, AIS transmission is the competitors responsibility to regularly check mid race to enable submission of a valid and compliant post race Declaration and where false Declarations are subject to automatic time penalty without a hearing. There are a number of ways competitors can undertake that check already contained within AIS Transponder hardware and software, freeware available on line and with Online AIS providers."

If that was said and said in all future briefingsthen this matter would never have arisen last edition or will ever raise its ugly head again in the future.

14 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Existing rules are fine. At the pre race briefings last edition reminding everyone about the mandatory AIS activation provision and for all future S2H editions, all that is needed is to have added/add the following to the briefing..

"Like numerous mandatory activation provisions like VHF Ch 16 in the SI, AIS transmission is the competitors responsibility to regularly check mid race to enable submission of a valid and compliant post race Declaration and where false Declarations are subject to automatic time penalty without a hearing. There are a number of ways competitors can undertake that check already contained within AIS Transponder hardware and software, freeware available on line and with Online AIS providers."

If that was said and said in all future briefingsthen this matter would never have arisen last edition or will ever raise its ugly head again in the future.

I was complimenting you Jack.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

@jack_sparrow far be it for a little sock to take from your glory but you’ve jumped from tradegy 4 to 6 giving us only 5 in total.

14 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

14 hours ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

If you can find 3 more you could give the nine finger salute too!

OK Sock that challenge first requires me rewording #5 to be more "factual" and less "opinion" to maintain the six and then think of another 3. Ironically it is Richards own words and that of @Boink and you@TheUltimateSockPuppetthat has provided me with the inspiration for that "factual basis".

Fuck you people love working me to death....the gift that has to keep on giving.

------------------------------------------------------------------

8. The Missing 5th Tragedy of AISGATE

Those in our sport are already jaundiced by lack of confidence and transparency to RC Decision Making.

I quote @Boink general views and words of @TheUltimateSockPuppet in particular up thread who says;  "I will also add that it’s not just the sailors sometimes a lack of confidence in the judicial (protest) system doesn’t help either." A supporting advocate of this lack of confidence in RC decision making  ironically comes from Mark Richards own mouth who says in Sail World WOXI Interview 31 Dec“We think the Race Committee should make a public apology to us. We have been accused of something which simply never happened', says a still irate Richards"

However before taking Mark Richards utterance further a quick Chronology of events as they unfolded is necessary to substantiate this, the missing 5th Tragedy of AISGATE. This is with times rounded out to the hour in Local Time (AEDT) for simplicity as follows, noting these timed are on the public record and or contained in SI.

1. 12.00 am / Midnight - The writer first observed WOXI was not transmitting a AIX TX signal around midnight on the 27/28 Dec around Maria Is or 8 hours before WOXI's Finish. In fact the only AIS TX recorded was 2 hours before the Start of the Race. Refer above to Section A. THE LEAD UP TO AISGATE. It can be assumed more than the writer observed this and probably well beforehand.

2. 8.00 am - WOXI Finishes

3. 8.30 am - Black Jack Finishes

4. 9.00 am - At around 9.00 am or 9 hours later bar race enthusiasts knowing beforehand, the entire world knew and one would have to assume the RC knew after Black Jack docked, the AISGATE button was pushed via a ABC TV interview with Black Jack's (BJ) owner and other media outlets included that with Brad Butterworth, BJ's Tactician.

5. 9.25 am - Around 9.15 Mark Richards was interviewed by the same ABC TV crew. Note: This was the source of Mark Richards infamous "AIS is not mandatory" statement, one then rejigged in the above Sail World interview 3 days later stating it was a COLREGS response? Also the time WOXI claim to first hear their AIS TX was being questioned (refer to above Sail World Interview).

These time lines are supported by the Twitter Video upload time by an ABC employee (Monte Boville) filming on his mobile phone the filming of the ABC Interview with Mark Richards and therefore, real time, in full and not edited in what the ABC went to air with. S2H ABC Interviews BJ_WOXI Live 28 Dec.

6. 9.30 am - Around 9.30 am or 15 minutes after this ABC Interview WOXI AIS signal commences as recieved by On Line AIS Providers like MarineTrafiic and others after being dead for nearly two (2) days. See Item 1 above.

7. 2.00 pm - Cutoff time for WOXI's post race Declaration amended or otherwise.

8. 8.00 pm - Cutoff time where the RC can unilaterally demand a vessel's post race inspection without the Owner/Skipper's Consent. This not just applies to WOXI but other vessels in WOXI's AIS range regarding anything they may logged. For instance Comanche left Hobart the next day.

9. 9.00 am to 8.00 pm. The period the RC contemplating BJ's claims including the RC making their own investigation utilising evidence from a Online AIS Provider. See Items 1 & 6 above. See Facts as presented in the  S2H 2018 RC Protest WOXI.

10. 8.00 pm - On or just after the RC lodge a Protest against WOXI. This is not a Declaration related Protest (where a automatic penalty can apply including there being no hearing) but one founded solely on the basis of Black Jack's complaint and that of a party with "conflicted interest" and under the RRS destined to be declared "invalid" with no IJ hearing occurring.

11. 29 December 1.00 pm - The RC Protest referred to above is obviously declared "invalid" by the IJ. This is opposed to a Declaration being submitted by WOXI indicating an AIS issue, whereby the basis of the RC's Protest relying solely upon Black Jack's "conflicted interest" would have fell by the wayside.

12. From the above Chronology alone it seems the RC arguably "burnt the protest clock down" for nearly 2 days if not interested in AIS compliance. From the time of Black Jack's complaint at around 9.00 am on 28th December (see Items 4 - 10 above)  it is no longer arguable, the "protest clock was burned down" for 11 hours by the RC.

13. Chronological Conclusion

So back to Mark Richards statement above; “We think the Race Committee should make a public apology to us. We have been accused of something which simply never happened', says a still irate Richards" and this, the 6th Tragedy of AISGATE where anyone thinking like @Boink and @TheUltimateSockPuppetabove thinknthere is transparency and or a lack of confidence issues in decision making by RC's.

In this instance I agree with Mark Richards 100% , the RC owe WOXI an apology. The protest submitted by the RC and destined to be declared invalid resulted in WOXI's claims of a AIS technical failure resulting in reduced AIS reduced range and claims there was no way of knowing this, were never tested via a protest hearing. WOXI are then left high and dry with the "enuendo' they may have turned their AIS TX off and cheated.

On face value it looks as though an apology as requested by Mark Richards has to be forthcoming from the RC and so restore faith in the judicial process many would think? Unfortunately not for the simple reason no Declaration was made by WOXI indicating it had a AIS problem, thus leaving the RC with only Black Jack's "conflicted" report, thus ensuring no hearing ever occured.

In other words WOXI held the "key" to their claims of an electronic AIS failure, it being investigated and if as reported by WOXI would have seen them exonerated. For reasons unknown WOXI did not use that "key" for reasons only WOXI alone know, to ensure no investigation or protest hearing occured.

Unfortunately that brings us back to AISGATE Tragedy #3 and Mark Richards totally ignoring the Race Documentation (using a story concocted being no way you can tell if your AIS TX is working, despite #1 - #5 upthread) with only one thing on his mind it seems. That being "redemption for WOXI" and raising 9 Fingers being all that mattered.

Then to AISGATE Tragedy #4 where none of this would have happened save for what was either an incompetent, complacent, cooperative or complicent RC and or IJ. Based on the evidence above, take your pick of the "C's"

----------------------------------------------------------------

There is missing AISGATE Tragedy #5 for you @TheUltimateSockPuppetand do 6 tragedies intact. I know that was burning a hole in your pocket.  :-)it

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

OK Sock that challenge first requires me rewording #5 to be more "factual" and less "opinion" to maintain the six and then think of another 3. Ironically it is Richards own words and that of @Boink and you@TheUltimateSockPuppetthat has provided me with the inspiration for that "factual basis".

Fuck you people love working me to death....the gift that has to keep on giving.

------------------------------------------------------------------

8. The Missing 5th Tragedy of AISGATE

Those in our sport are already jaundiced by lack of confidence and transparency to RC Decision Making.

I quote @Boink general views and words of @TheUltimateSockPuppet in particular up thread who says;  "I will also add that it’s not just the sailors sometimes a lack of confidence in the judicial (protest) system doesn’t help either." A supporting advocate of this lack of confidence in RC decision making  ironically comes from Mark Richards own mouth who says in Sail World WOXI Interview 31 Dec“We think the Race Committee should make a public apology to us. We have been accused of something which simply never happened', says a still irate Richards"

However before taking Mark Richards utterance further a quick Chronology of events as they unfolded is necessary to substantiate this, the missing 5th Tragedy of AISGATE. This is with times rounded out to the hour in Local Time (AEDT) for simplicity as follows, noting these timed are on the public record and or contained in SI.

1. 12.00 am / Midnight - The writer first observed WOXI was not transmitting a AIX TX signal around midnight on the 27/28 Dec around Maria Is or 8 hours before WOXI's Finish. In fact the only AIS TX recorded was 2 hours before the Start of the Race. Refer above to Section A. THE LEAD UP TO AISGATE. It can be assumed more than the writer observed this and probably well beforehand.

2. 8.00 am - WOXI Finishes

3. 8.30 am - Black Jack Finishes

4. 9.00 am - At around 9.00 am or 9 hours later bar race enthusiasts knowing beforehand, the entire world knew and one would have to assume the RC knew after Black Jack docked, the AISGATE button was pushed via a ABC TV interview with Black Jack's (BJ) owner and other media outlets included that with Brad Butterworth, BJ's Tactician.

5. 9.25 am - Around 9.15 Mark Richards was interviewed by the same ABC TV crew. Note: This was the source of Mark Richards infamous "AIS is not mandatory" statement, one then rejigged in the above Sail World interview 3 days later stating it was a COLREGS response? Also the time WOXI claim to first hear their AIS TX was being questioned (refer to above Sail World Interview).

These time lines are supported by the Twitter Video upload time by an ABC employee (Monte Boville) filming on his mobile phone the filming of the ABC Interview with Mark Richards and therefore, real time, in full and not edited in what the ABC went to air with. S2H ABC Interviews BJ_WOXI Live 28 Dec.

6. 9.30 am - Around 9.30 am or 15 minutes after this ABC Interview WOXI AIS signal commences as recieved by On Line AIS Providers like MarineTrafiic and others after being dead for nearly two (2) days. See Item 1 above.

7. 2.00 pm - Cutoff time for WOXI's post race Declaration amended or otherwise.

8. 8.00 pm - Cutoff time where the RC can unilaterally demand a vessel's post race inspection without the Owner/Skipper's Consent. This not just applies to WOXI but other vessels in WOXI's AIS range regarding anything they may logged. For instance Comanche left Hobart the next day.

9. 9.00 am to 8.00 pm. The period the RC contemplating BJ's claims including the RC making their own investigation utilising evidence from a Online AIS Provider. See Items 1 & 6 above. See Facts as presented in the  S2H 2018 RC Protest WOXI.

10. 8.00 pm - On or just after the RC lodge a Protest against WOXI. This is not a Declaration related Protest (where a automatic penalty can apply including there being no hearing) but one founded solely on the basis of Black Jack's complaint and that of a party with "conflicted interest" and under the RRS destined to be declared "invalid" with no IJ hearing occurring.

11. 29 December 1.00 pm - The RC Protest referred to above is obviously declared "invalid" by the IJ. This is opposed to a Declaration being submitted by WOXI indicating an AIS issue, whereby the basis of the RC's Protest relying solely upon Black Jack's "conflicted interest" would have fell by the wayside.

12. From the above Chronology alone it seems the RC arguably "burnt the protest clock down" for nearly 2 days if not interested in AIS compliance. From the time of Black Jack's complaint at around 9.00 am on 28th December (see Items 4 - 10 above)  it is no longer arguable, the "protest clock was burned down" for 11 hours by the RC.

13. Chronological Conclusion

So back to Mark Richards statement above; “We think the Race Committee should make a public apology to us. We have been accused of something which simply never happened', says a still irate Richards" and this, the 6th Tragedy of AISGATE where anyone thinking like @Boink and @TheUltimateSockPuppetabove thinknthere is transparency and or a lack of confidence issues in decision making by RC's.

In this instance I agree with Mark Richards 100% , the RC owe WOXI an apology. The protest submitted by the RC and destined to be declared invalid resulted in WOXI's claims of a AIS technical failure resulting in reduced AIS reduced range and claims there was no way of knowing this, were never tested via a protest hearing. WOXI are then left high and dry with the "enuendo' they may have turned their AIS TX off and cheated.

On face value it looks as though an apology as requested by Mark Richards has to be forthcoming from the RC and so restore faith in the judicial process many would think? Unfortunately not for the simple reason no Declaration was made by WOXI indicating it had a AIS problem, thus leaving the RC with only Black Jack's "conflicted" report, thus ensuring no hearing ever occured.

In other words WOXI held the "key" to their claims of an electronic AIS failure, it being investigated and if as reported by WOXI would have seen them exonerated. For reasons unknown WOXI did not use that "key" for reasons only WOXI alone know, to ensure no investigation or protest hearing occured.

Unfortunately that brings us back to AISGATE Tragedy #3 and Mark Richards totally ignoring the Race Documentation (using a story concocted being no way you can tell if your AIS TX is working, despite #1 - #5 upthread) with only one thing on his mind it seems. That being "redemption for WOXI" and raising 9 Fingers being all that mattered.

Then to AISGATE Tragedy #4 where none of this would have happened save for what was either an incompetent, complacent, cooperative or complicent RC and or IJ. Based on the evidence above, take your pick of the "C's"

----------------------------------------------------------------

There is missing AISGATE Tragedy #5 for you @TheUltimateSockPuppetand do 6 tragedies intact. I know that was burning a hole in your pocket.  :-)it

That is not a pretty scenario, thank you for compiling it.

Oh shit, I just fucking did it myself!

So if the tragedies are to be understood; how lies the blame?

I always look to authority... I’m a good boy really. The RC should be able to explain it to us...  please 

We can accept that AIS is a really excellent tactical tool for winning that is required coincidentally for safety under the Sailing Instructions.

We can also accept that WOXI has world class sailors who also understand this.

Therefore all I seek to understand is how the WOXI skipper and navigator could sign a declaration that its AIS WAS operating throughout the race when it wasn’t despite too many easily observable anomalies as to its operation.

.... and soon after; it immaculately operated; for which there is no explanation. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Trickypig said:

Therefore all I seek to understand is how the WOXI skipper and navigator coulsign a declaration that its AIS WAS operating throughout the race when it wasn’t despite too many easily observable anomalies as to its operation.

Owner, Skipper's/Nominated Authority or Navigator, only one signature required.

If there is no means to acertain if your AIX is transmitting (cough) you would "condition" your Declaration accordingly. Obviously that will invite enquiry from the RC, but maybe they missed that?

The RC or PC  can ‘learn ‘ of a matter  and protest a boat but it can’t be from a competitor or interested party. 

Surely they can learn of this matter from the Marine Traffic website or the start boat or the relay vessel. 

It was convenient they ‘learned’ of it from BJ..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trickypig said:

The RC or PC  can ‘learn ‘ of a matter  and protest a boat but it can’t be from a competitor or interested party. 

Surely they can learn of this matter from the Marine Traffic website or the start boat or the relay vessel. 

Isn’t the role of the RC to taste test the scallop pies with the sponsor’s Pinot prior to the arrival of the first boats?

4 hours ago, Trickypig said:

Surely they can learn of this matter from the Marine Traffic website or the start boat or the relay vessel

"Learning of it" are not words in the RRS. It is "result of information" and there can be "multiple sources" of information from which a RC can elect to chose from.

That can be anything or anybody except those three things listed in the rule, which is only from a redress request, an invalid protest or a conflicted party. So information could come from anyone including a TV Reporter or the man on the moon.

60.2. A race committee may protest a boat, but not as

(a) result of information arising from a request for redress or an invalid protest, or from a report from a person with a conflict of interest other than the representative of the boat herself;

Also for the avoidance of doubt any information from the boat's representative (ie Declaration) is specifically excluded from being deemed a "person with a conflict of interest".