Sign in to follow this  
Bull City

Awlcare

My topsides were Awlgripped in 2015. They still look good, however, run-off from rain, washing, etc. leaves watermarks. I'm thinking about Awlcare. Has anyone used it? Here's what the manufacturer says:

Awlcare is a protective polymer sealer formulated to protect and remove mild stains from Awlgrip topcoats.

• Contains no harsh abrasives and will not scratch the painted surface
  • Leaves a non-yellowing protective polymer coating which lasts through multiple washings
  • Removes mild stains such as water spots and diesel soot
  • Increases resistance to attack from acid rain and other environmental pollutants

Regular applications of Awlcare will help seal porosity, helping to maintain a satisfactory appearance until there is time to repaint.

We Awlgripped about 15 years ago, so could probably use some of this stuff. Don't like the line about maintaining a "satisfactory appearance until there is time to repaint" though.  There is always plenty of time to repaint. The problem is money.  

Awlcare soap sucks imo.

You can ball the soap up between your fingers.

Orpine and maguire's wax and paint polish on a buffer and looks like new.

Awlgripped in 2013. Have always washed with Alwash twice a month since. And "waxed" with Awlcare every 4 months. Boat gets regular compliments. But then I have no control example to compare it with. So verdict is ambiguous. 

8 hours ago, ChuteFirst said:

Awlgripped in 2013. Have always washed with Alwash twice a month since. And "waxed" with Awlcare every 4 months. Boat gets regular compliments. But then I have no control example to compare it with. So verdict is ambiguous. 

Seems you're happy with it. Thanks.

9 hours ago, Elegua said:

Permanon works very well on awlgrip. 

It's pretty pricey: 1 Liter of Permanon Yacht Supershine Boat Polish Marine Surface Protection is $200 on Amazon, compared to $65 for a 1/2 gallon of Awlcare.

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

..... Permanon Yacht Supershine Boat Polish Marine Surface Protection ......

Some marketing dweeb worked overtime on that product name. Should have added "and Cancer Cure".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

It's pretty pricey: 1 Liter of Permanon Yacht Supershine Boat Polish Marine Surface Protection is $200 on Amazon, compared to $65 for a 1/2 gallon of Awlcare.

Very pricey, and the application takes some work, but the results are pretty spectacular.  Apparently it comes from aviation, which might explain the $$$. 

Awlcare is good stuff.

My flag blue hull was painted 29 years ago with Awlgrip.

Every spring I used Awlcare with a polishing pad on an orbital buffer (the kind that looks like a grinder, not those useless arm shaker things that do zip).

It will take the lines off.

When done, put a 2nd coat on by hand and remove with a terrycloth towel to protect for the season.

A trick is not to use the squirt top to make lines as it will drip wasting the stuff.

Instead, pour into the cup and dab in on with a chip brush every 18 inches.

Do a 6x6 foot section at a time.

slow speed initially to spread it out, then crank the rpms up and go up and down and the side by side.

At 29 years, the clear is pretty much gone from the paint, so it takes a bit more shoulder muscle.

Repaint in the near term plans.  Got my money out of it...  ;<)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elegua said:

Apparently it comes from aviation, which might explain the $$$. 

I didn't know Aviation was dearer than Yachting. For a change, I feel fortunate. 

1 hour ago, Foreverslow said:

Awlcare is good stuff.

Thanks for the good info.

I've ordered some. The boat is out of the water, so this will be a good time to do the topsides.

2 hours ago, Bull City said:

I didn't know Aviation was dearer than Yachting. For a change, I feel fortunate. 

Neighbor has a 1960s airplane.

He got it painted (they have to strip it) and new upholstery as a refresh.

When we compared costs, I felt a WHOLE LOT better owning a boat...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Foreverslow said:

new upholstery

Aviation seats are so tiny, they couldn't be that expensive. Right? :lol:

It’s an order of magnitude worse (been in aviation my whole life). One airplane dollar = $1000, and most stuff costs closer to 10 dollars...

I use Awlwash and Awlcare on my boat as that is what Awlgrip suggest, though to be honest I don’t see much difference between it and my normal Starbrite Marine Polish with PTEF that lasts twice as long and costs half as much. I suspect the Awlcare may be slightly less abrasive but again, hard to tell. 

Well, a boat buck is $1K so that much matches.

One of the biggest differences is that you can't really do your own airplane work - it has to be done by a licensed tech if you want to keep the planes certification to carry passengers.

I guess you could do your own paint & upholstery but getting one of those ancient Lycomings or equivalent tuned or rebuilt? Bring $$$$$$$$$$$

Never really cared for the awlwash.  Thought it was pricey and no better or worse than standard boat wash products. I did like the awlcare polish.  Not to abrasive, removed minor stuff. Acetone worked better on a larger rubber fender scuff but washed and applied awlcare polish after cleaning with acetone. I found it easy to apply and provided a nice finish. I also though a little went a long way. While other polish is less expensive, I found I would use a lot more per square foot. 

On 12/31/2018 at 11:46 AM, SailMoore1 said:

Acetone worked better on a larger rubber fender scuff

This is helpful, as I have picked up a few.

Have used the Awlwash and Awlcare for the past 13 years on the hull.  The black hull looks as good as new.  I use the wash twice a year, before launching and at the end of the season, and the Awlcare in the Spring.  Highly recommend both.

23 hours ago, rsimpson said:

I've had good luck with a product called RejeX on gelcoat but it says its good for painted surfaces as well.  Maybe worth a look. 

http://rejex.com/rejex-high-gloss-finish-that-protects/

I'm afraid I have drunk the Awlgrip Kool-Aid. After spending many boat bucks on it, I feel locked in to their washing and polymer products. If they sold Awlgrip sunglasses to wear while looking at it, I'd probably buy those too. :D

15 hours ago, Bull City said:

I'm afraid I have drunk the Awlgrip Kool-Aid. After spending many boat bucks on it, I feel locked in to their washing and polymer products. If they sold Awlgrip sunglasses to wear while looking at it, I'd probably buy those too. :D

Yup...fussy as it may or may not be...I don't want to find out the down side of using the wrong product since the results of the right product do just fine.   Saving a few bucks here is just not worth it.

Awlgrip related:

I’ve got a little touch up to do. My topsides are Carinthia Blue, which is one shade lighter than Flag Blue. I have a little of the topcoat, but no converter. I may have a source.

As a Plan B, I ordered some Flag Blue Wet Edge polyurethane topside paint from Jamestown Dist., which really good stuff. I have some of their Oyster White. I wonder if a drop of it added to th Flag Blue would make Carinthia Blue?

On 12/31/2018 at 6:46 AM, Bull City said:

Construction, Marine, Aircraft, Defense(Mil Spec), Space.  Even the Velcro gets more expensive...

• Like 1

On 12/30/2018 at 2:10 PM, Foreverslow said:

Awlcare is good stuff.

My flag blue hull was painted 29 years ago with Awlgrip.

Every spring I used Awlcare with a polishing pad on an orbital buffer (the kind that looks like a grinder, not those useless arm shaker things that do zip).

It will take the lines off.

When done, put a 2nd coat on by hand and remove with a terrycloth towel to protect for the season.

A trick is not to use the squirt top to make lines as it will drip wasting the stuff.

Instead, pour into the cup and dab in on with a chip brush every 18 inches.

Do a 6x6 foot section at a time.

slow speed initially to spread it out, then crank the rpms up and go up and down and the side by side.

At 29 years, the clear is pretty much gone from the paint, so it takes a bit more shoulder muscle.

Repaint in the near term plans.  Got my money out of it...  ;<)

Can you post a photo of your boat?

On 1/13/2019 at 7:07 PM, Bull City said:

Can you post a photo of your boat?

Currently looks nasty as she has not been polished in 2 years nor washed in 3 months.

Coming out in a couple weeks for maintenance.

Here she is with 24 years on the paint.

DSCN8968.JPG

E

20 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

Currently looks nasty as she has not been polished in 2 years nor washed in 3 months.

Coming out in a couple weeks for maintenance.

Here she is with 24 years on the paint.

Even so, nice looking boat.

Thanks

Life is too short for ugly boats, argumentative women or cheap booze... 

I will say, after 29 years, the awlgrip primer is starting to lose its grip causing chips to come off if you are rough on the paint.

As an example, I use 3M polyester sheeting (aka car bra material) where a launch will whack the hull, as it allows me to peel the slings and arrows at the end of the season.

Should be done above 70 degrees. Below 50 it does not remove easily and the primer can let chips of paint go.

Not so much the paint's fault, but years ago, the paint would have held up to that abuse.  I can touch it up and lay a piece of sheet polyester over it and no one is the wiser. 

But that is why I will repaint this year or next.

Foreverslow, that is good news. I had the Awlrip job done in 2015, when I was 65 years old. If I get 25 years out of it, that will put me at 90. By then, I won't care.

Cheers!

My boat:

Tonic_4.thumb.jpg.56fc71c8f5fbbda7b0a1da3d4ed52f27.jpg

Looks good.

Keep the abrasion away (dirty fenders between hull and dock, hitting docks, moron launch jockeys etc) and you will be fine.

And you may paint it yet again.

We have a guy 3 slips down.

He is a WWII vet meaning he is in his mid to late 90s.

Had a canvas shop put a custom dodger on his 1960s sailboat last spring.

God bless any sailor with such a positive attitude.

May we all have to make such decisions...  ;<)