justanothersailor

Everglades Challenge 2019

Do I hear those crazy drums again already? Sneaks up fast.

I was thinking that in my capacity as Speck Tater, I might view the fleet from my stray Goat Island Skiff this year but I'll have to do a little work on it first. I bought it a trailer which should be ready in a week or so, so I can drag it into the path of the fleet in Pine Island Sound or something.

• Like 2

I'm doing it in a Hobie TI this year because I didn't get wet enough in all the previous years. My bride is CP-1 co-captain, so say hi as you come in. 

• Like 1

I registered my custom tri with little hope of it making it to the starting line, (time commitments). Like 2018 I had an offer from "At Wits End" to sail his Windrider 17 and I could commit to that for all I had to do was show up & sail. That was my plan... but I've just been un-invited because "At Wits End" is now planning to sail the 2019 R2AK and he has found a crew to sail both the EC & the R2AK. As much as I want to sail the R2AK I just can not do it this year. So, I welcome the un-invite for I encourage "At Wits End" to go for it all.

Now I have to decide to get off my butt and get the tri ready for the EC... everyone keep your fingers crossed!

• Like 1

Has the shoreline been altered by nature since the last race?

The Derby sounds interesting, I wonder how many racers are doing it?

Looking forward to follow the race...

1 hour ago, Norse Horse said:

Has the shoreline been altered by nature since the last race?

Not enough to affect the racers. Last year, the southern part of the course was still only partially recovered from the hurricane but that should be better this year, I would guess.

Every year there's what amounts to a "how hazardous is Stump Pass?" thread on the watertribe forum, which also usually involves local reports on what the channel is like this year. The main shoals move around a bit and can be nasty with breaking waves and strong currents. It can also be easy to pass a few hours later.

I got this video last year chasing noted Watertriber Sew Sew as he approached it.

• Like 2

WTF may I ask is that beast?  Looks like a hermaphrodite: International Canoe with ironing boards cobbled on.

• Like 1

That's sailing legend Randy Smyth's tri. Pay particular attention to that wing-sail set up. We will see more of this design in the future! He won the EC in 2017.

• Like 1

The bridges, beach launch and shallow water course feature some interesting, deviant work.

Always enjoy the local SA coverage of the race.

18 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Well kind of....

How can a racer tell if his boat is overbuilt and too heavy?

It survives the race.

Synergy was built correctly and did not. Its predecessor, Sizzor, was the boat that first got me interested in this crazy race, which was crazier back then. He broke that one a lot too.

15 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

The bridges, beach launch and shallow water course feature some interesting, deviant work.

Always enjoy the local SA coverage of the race.

It was crazier back then because the boats had to beach launch, deal with shallows, AND get under a low and narrow bridge. That last requirement went away and it made me very sad, mostly because there's an 8' high RR bridge between me and open water. A sailboat that can get under it interests me a lot more than one that can't. Sizzor could, despite being way too wide and tall.

The Spawn has had some work done over the last few months and is out testing to prepare for this years race. So far it looks good.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2019 at 5:00 AM, dogballs Tom said:

How can a racer tell if his boat is overbuilt and too heavy?

It survives the race.

Synergy was built correctly and did not. Its predecessor, Sizzor, was the boat that first got me interested in this crazy race, which was crazier back then. He broke that one a lot too.

It was crazier back then because the boats had to beach launch, deal with shallows, AND get under a low and narrow bridge. That last requirement went away and it made me very sad, mostly because there's an 8' high RR bridge between me and open water. A sailboat that can get under it interests me a lot more than one that can't. Sizzor could, despite being way too wide and tall.

I miss the checkpoint too :)

http://watertribecrazyrussian.blogspot.com/2009/03/everglades-challenge-2009-checkpoint-1.html?m=1

16 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

We were supposed to sail Tuesday but it was better to take the big boat out and observe, speaking with ASL while she was shooting pics and vid. As sticky as the Spawn and Melges 24's were it would have been painful in a J24.

20 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Looking suspiciously like a pregnant monohull trying to birth a trimaran....:o

(Seriously,  a pretty good idea for the purpose...)

17 hours ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Garage shot looks like R2D2 in the cockpit 

Sweet ride 

19 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

They had a nasty flip last year..if you can find their account, not fun in the dark far offshore fumbling around trying to get a grip on the situation,...these water wings are a really clever solution to water ballast to weather and reserve buoyancy to leeward.....

The most important item was losing the cooler with the beer in it...that problem had to be sorted-out. The old wings created a lot of drag if they became immersed, even with the water tanks that were added. The boat passed the capsize test the other day, except for that it moves pretty good on its side now, so some adjustments being made to help keep things under control if things go sideways.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2019 at 10:59 PM, sail10338 said:

NateDog and I are getting psyched.

AndyMan

SafetyAsym.jpg

SafetyDIYC.jpg

Spritpic.jpg

A Highlander is a good call if you can move the beast up & down the beach..... rollers and ground tackle? I always liked these boats a lot. Needs a -good- kickup rudder, too.

FB- Doug

Two or three rollers and you're good to go with a Highlander. Not really a big deal, especially for two. As for getting it on the beach, everyone helps with the unloading, eight or nine people and you can move and carry quite a bit of boat off a trailer. 

31 minutes ago, MisterMoon said:

Two or three rollers and you're good to go with a Highlander. Not really a big deal, especially for two. As for getting it on the beach, everyone helps with the unloading, eight or nine people and you can move and carry quite a bit of boat off a trailer. 

Didn't someone once try to instruct Sawhorse on how to properly move a 505 during one of those operations?

49 minutes ago, dogballs Tom said:

Didn't someone once try to instruct Sawhorse on how to properly move a 505 during one of those operations?

I hope it wasn't me! Although I've helped move his i550 a more than a couple of times. 

19 hours ago, MisterMoon said:

I hope it wasn't me! Although I've helped move his i550 a more than a couple of times. 

I've forgotten who it was now. Pitching in to help, didn't know the old guy next to him and thought the old guy might be cluelessly picking it up by a part that would break. The old guy knew a thing or two about picking up boats. Just smiled and said he was sure it would be OK.

23 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Piece of cake... last 3 years there has been a Dovekie 21 that weighs over # 700

Matt Layden aka Wizard brought his Paradox micro cruiser to his first EC. In 2002 I believe. 

The boat is in #800-900 range. He sailed in. And he pulled the boat up the beach all by himself. Anchor and tackle. I remember thinking “hey, good luck with this cloth iron” Then he proceeded to win the race.

One of appeal of the race is just to walk and see how people approach the beach cruising thing. Also because it is so across all water sports there are solutions which you wouldn’t think about in your narrower circle. I most definitely steal all camping/cooking/packing ideas kayakers use.

11 hours ago, CrazyR said:

Matt Layden aka Wizard brought his Paradox micro cruiser to his first EC. In 2002 I believe. 

The boat is in #800-900 range. He sailed in. And he pulled the boat up the beach all by himself. Anchor and tackle.

That's a quirk of the rules that has always seemed a bit strange to me. It's supposed to be an expedition/race. That's part of the idea of launching from above the high tide line and bringing with you any equipment used to do it.

The implication being, you could perch your craft above the high tide line at any point along the route, since it's a small boat and small boats can do that.

A full test of that theory would involve the crew putting the boat on the beach unassisted and using only equipment they bring along. I think such a test would reveal that some are not small boats after all.

2 hours ago, dogballs Tom said:
13 hours ago, CrazyR said:

The boat is in #800-900 range. He sailed in. And he pulled the boat up the beach all by himself. Anchor and tackle.

That's a quirk of the rules that has always seemed a bit strange to me. It's supposed to be an expedition/race. That's part of the idea of launching from above the high tide line and bringing with you any equipment used to do it.

The implication being, you could perch your craft above the high tide line at any point along the route, since it's a small boat and small boats can do that.

A full test of that theory would involve the crew putting the boat on the beach unassisted and using only equipment they bring along. I think such a test would reveal that some are not small boats after all.

I also think that boats & skippers/crews should be required to prove the ability to recover from a capsize or swamping, unassisted.

FB- Doug

Just now, Steam Flyer said:

I also think that boats & skippers/crews should be required to prove the ability to recover from a capsize or swamping, unassisted.

FB- Doug

they are....they do....

2 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:
3 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

they are....they do....

It's in the rules that they -should- but do the judges ever take a boat off the beach and capsize or swamp it? I have not heard of that being done.

FB- Doug

20 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

It's in the rules that they -should- but do the judges ever take a boat off the beach and capsize or swamp it? I have not heard of that being done.

FB- Doug

not on race day/weekend gathering...but applicants must demonstrate at some point prior 

Steam I may be mistaken....but after the disaster at the start 3 years ago I thought demonstration of righting your vessel for new entrants was required...

http://www.watertribe.com/events/SkillAssessments/Default.aspx

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

It has never been done to my knowledge. Nor would it ever as I currently understand things. 

42 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

not on race day/weekend gathering...but applicants must demonstrate at some point prior 

Steam I may be mistaken....but after the disaster at the start 3 years ago I thought demonstration of righting your vessel for new entrants was required...

http://www.watertribe.com/events/SkillAssessments/Default.aspx

The link you provided says clearly in large bold type: 

WaterTribe will not be conducting Skill Assessments. That is up to you.

• Like 2

Just now, MisterMoon said:

It has never been done to my knowledge. Nor would it ever as I currently understand things. 

Yes it does...maybe I am confused with all the discussion and ideas being kicked around after the disaster 3 years ago, that was my first walk up on Friday pre race  as I had a friend from Miami coming over for the EC...I was shocked at some of the entrants and the lax safety inspections on the beach...I watched one inspector take the entrants word for a few safety items he was fumbling around trying to find.....that said  every year since boats looked so much better....

2 minutes ago, MisterMoon said:

Well, it's probably antithetical to the Water Tribe's culture to force people to go through a time-consuming and potentially wasteful exercise. OTOH I think it would be instructive and it would be great training. It would also put a sharp divide between the Water Tribe's main members, the adventure kayakers, and the wild-ass DIY-ers with whatever crazy vessel they can hammer together (mostly sailboats).

If you look at this kind of thing as entertainment, it'd be awesome to pick the least-prepared boat on the beach and say "You! ... into the water, meet up with our coach boat, and show us your capsize drill. GO!" Of course, you'd have to have a coach boat. There would also be a lot of training value in having all the current and potential future Water Tribers -see- what works and what doesn't.

20 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Yes it does...maybe I am confused with all the discussion and ideas being kicked around after the disaster 3 years ago, that was my first walk up on Friday pre race  as I had a friend from Miami coming over for the EC...I was shocked at some of the entrants and the lax safety inspections on the beach...I watched one inspector take the entrants word for a few safety items he was fumbling around trying to find.....that said  every year since boats looked so much better....

Couldn't make it down there last year, and this year is looking iffy. I'll have to rely on pics and remote reporting, so make it good! TIA .......

FB- Doug

• Like 1

Just now, Steam Flyer said:

Well, it's probably antithetical to the Water Tribe's culture to force people to go through a time-consuming and potentially wasteful exercise. OTOH I think it would be instructive and it would be great training. It would also put a sharp divide between the Water Tribe's main members, the adventure kayakers, and the wild-ass DIY-ers with whatever crazy vessel they can hammer together (mostly sailboats).

If you look at this kind of thing as entertainment, it'd be awesome to pick the least-prepared boat on the beach and say "You! ... into the water, meet up with our coach boat, and show us your capsize drill. GO!" Of course, you'd have to have a coach boat. There would also be a lot of training value in having all the current and potential future Water Tribers -see- what works and what doesn't.

Couldn't make it down there last year, and this year is looking iffy. I'll have to rely on pics and remote reporting, so make it good! TIA .......

FB- Doug

Need to get RKoch up and running in SA again....he is the absolute best EC play by play and color analyst at the same time...

• Like 1

It seems like the group prefers educational approach than strict enforcement. Near watertribe groups run sessions though out a year on some of the topics. Camping, capsize and recovery, etc. B and B yacht design (Core Sound boats) has a weekend for anyone with sailboats to come in and test their recovery skills. It seems like they are having fun time. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Need to get RKoch up and running in SA again....he is the absolute best EC play by play and color analyst at the same time...

He's good at it but has a job.

The EC requires a funemployed person with nothing but time. And luckily, it attracted one! I saw him yesterday. He makes wishes come true. (That's his voice at the beginning of my video above.)

Flying Scot bow bag becomes a Highlander stern bag (not fastened in yet).

To put flaps on the stern or not, up for debate.

Hobie Bob on the masthead and a full bulkhead in the bow, hope not to need either.

AndyMan

Rudder1.jpg

Rudder2.jpg

Cockpit.jpg

airbag.jpg

Panel 1.jpg

charge controller.jpg

charger controller 2.jpg

Garmin.jpg

Boat barn.jpg

• Like 3

On 1/6/2019 at 6:45 PM, SailBlueH2O said:

I had not seen him post in quite a while.    Glad to hear he has not fallen over and could not get back up.

Hopefully one of the lesser miffed moderators will grant him a boon and allow him back into his old acct.

- Stumbling

8 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

I had not seen him post in quite a while.    Glad to hear he has not fallen over and could not get back up.

Hopefully one of the lesser miffed moderators will grant him a boon and allow him back into his old acct.

- Stumbling

Does not appear to be happening... a poor reflection on ST... Rod could be argumentative and talk smack but nothing over the line... 

1 minute ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Does not appear to be happening... a poor reflection on ST... Rod could be argumentative and talk smack but nothing over the line... 

Its called "Earning your Crotchety Old Sailor rating."

I hope at least he gets back on under another flag.

- Stumbling

3 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

Its called "Earning your Crotchety Old Sailor rating."

I hope at least he gets back on under another flag.

- Stumbling

Yeah he could easily do that... but lose all his Profile gravitas ... Khama is a bitch when it meets out misery for mean spirited pettiness.... Editor 

31 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

- Stumbling

Huh?  What got Kocher tosser? 

This place is weird that way.  Tossers like Doug Lord hang around forever and even if I disagreed with Koch on occasion he certainly was no tosser like so many around here.

• Like 1

Just now, Wess said:

Huh?  What got Kocher tosser? 

This place is weird that way.  Tossers like Doug Lord hang around forever and even if I disagreed with Koch on occasion he certainly was no tosser like so many around here.

RKoch was not tossed... he forgot his Password and has a different email address now different from the one he originally registered with..... those/he with the power to remedy are not interested 

10 minutes ago, Dex Sawash said:

r.koch

sorted ffs

This

Rod is a good guy and a great sailor, but his music has been a priority for quite a few years now...

Just over a month till the EC,  Safety Dance has knock out ports held in with shockcord....

1589211350_RodJeffAndy.jpg.8d7c3cefe106850c0b22c58e8f5a4dc0.jpg

transom.jpg

On 1/12/2019 at 4:08 PM, sail10338 said:

Flying Scot bow bag becomes a Highlander stern bag (not fastened in yet).

To put flaps on the stern or not, up for debate.

Hobie Bob on the masthead and a full bulkhead in the bow, hope not to need either.

AndyMan

Rudder1.jpg

Rudder2.jpg

Cockpit.jpg

airbag.jpg

Panel 1.jpg

charge controller.jpg

charger controller 2.jpg

Garmin.jpg

Boat barn.jpg

That's going to be an ocean liner compared to most EC boats. Not sure about the rowing ability but that's definitely secondary.

Lots o' buoyancy and self-draining is really good, it's not always rough but it's smart to expect a wet ride

FB- Doug

13 hours ago, sail10338 said:

Rod is a good guy and a great sailor, but his music has been a priority for quite a few years now...

Just over a month till the EC,  Safety Dance has knock out ports held in with shockcord....

1589211350_RodJeffAndy.jpg.8d7c3cefe106850c0b22c58e8f5a4dc0.jpg

transom.jpg

I'd put tethers on those port lids....

Looks like you could connect those wings to each other and have a neat little catamaran. So is Spawn in the multihull class?

Dang, Spawn is getting more bonkers every year! 

We're only a month out. Is anyone ready to give us an accurate weather forecast? As I sit and plan, it's the one variable that I wish I could solve for. 

5 hours ago, MisterMoon said:

Dang, Spawn is getting more bonkers every year! 

We're only a month out. Is anyone ready to give us an accurate weather forecast? As I sit and plan, it's the one variable that I wish I could solve for. 

Yep, a month out and tribers start to wonder about weather. I haven't been to the forum in a while. Is there a "how's Stump Pass" thread yet? Another perennial favorite topic.

Spoiler: the weather and Stump Pass won't be quite what you expected and planned for.

I was not planning on chasing the boats at Stump again this year but may reconsider if the weather looks like it will make that exciting. I kinda want to see what happens to Spawn's wings in breakers. And I kinda think a rescue boat should be nearby when the answer is learned. But those guys know what they're doing.

My fair weather plan is to spend at least a couple of days on my pontoon boat following the fleet around from Sarasota Bay to the bottom of Sanibel. That sounds fun if I'm not wet or cold.

On 12/30/2018 at 5:22 PM, justanothersailor said:

The multihull class 5 looks to be a little this 2019 race. Any late entries coming?

The multihull class seems to be filling out with number of good teams on powerful boats. Course record holders (26 hours!) Bumpy and Machoman are signed up again in their Tornado. SwampMonkee and Chainsaw are back in their Turbo Tornado. Lrock is back with what is probably his Nacra Inter 20 (doesn't say on the site, but that's the boat he's sailed with a couple of times.) Roger Mann has new crazy solo trimaran this year. And SeadogRocket and BermudaBoy (the first and second ever finishers on windsurfers) are on an Nacra Inter 20. I'd expect a couple of these teams to beat Spawn. But I'd also expect Spawn to be in the top 3 boats to the finish, too. That boat is insane and always well sailed. 

Here's Roger's new boat.

JollyRoger.jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, MisterMoon said:

The multihull class seems to be filling out with number of good teams on powerful boats. Course record holders (26 hours!) Bumpy and Machoman are signed up again in their Tornado. SwampMonkee and Chainsaw are back in their Turbo Tornado. Lrock is back with what is probably his Nacra Inter 20 (doesn't say on the site, but that's the boat he's sailed with a couple of times.) Roger Mann has new crazy solo trimaran this year. And SeadogRocket and BermudaBoy (the first and second ever finishers on windsurfers) are on an Nacra Inter 20. I'd expect a couple of these teams to beat Spawn. But I'd also expect Spawn to be in the top 3 boats to the finish, too. That boat is insane and always well sailed. 

Here's Roger's new boat.

JollyRoger.jpg

That looks way cool. Interested to learn more about it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Anyone seen this pedal drive system?

Guy has the pitch down cold !...I'd like to see a race between the Hobie system

Just scrolled through the entrants....the Finn is back and there is a Windmill signed up....didn't see the big solar panel boat

sollar.jpg

Here is a closer look at that pedal drive system. Pretty well thought out it looks like. I wonder how the power is transmitted inside?

I've seen a few propeller drives out on the lake, but I've never tried one myself.  One day we easily outpaced one with our Hobie Mirage Oasis tandem, but I don't think he was trying all that hard and and we had a longer comparatively leaner boat and two people  and he was solo in  a short, fat and heavy fishing kayak. 

The Feelfree dive appears to be an elegant peice, especially compared to rather agricultural looking prop drive unit Perception is selling. It's got to be very expensive, though. 

I've got two Mirage drive boats, the Oasis and an Adventure Island Tandem (aka the "TI"). I think their pretty great little boats for what they are and it only takes a minute to figure out peddling beats paddling all over the place. I do think the Hobie Mirage is better for shallow water than this one. With the Mirage, you can kick the fins flat up against the hull and 'flutter' them to create forward propulsion in water that is barely enough to float the boat. The Feelfree needs a lot more depth underneath to use, otherwise you are paddling. 

On 1/30/2019 at 6:20 PM, MisterMoon said:

I do think the Hobie Mirage is better for shallow water than this one. With the Mirage, you can kick the fins flat up against the hull and 'flutter' them to create forward propulsion in water that is barely enough to float the boat. The Feelfree needs a lot more depth underneath to use, otherwise you are paddling. 

That was my reaction too.

I can move pretty well in very shallow water by fluttering the fins against the hull. A prop has to clear the hull on the top side and the bottom on the lower side in addition to the diameter of the prop itself. That's going to take a lot more water than I have a lot of the time.

Roger's boat reminds me a lot of Meade Gougeon's, but with a Mirage Drive.

On 1/30/2019 at 6:20 PM, MisterMoon said:

it only takes a minute to figure out peddling beats paddling all over the place. 

Or less. I mentioned on the WT forum that an early experiment paddling my boat led me quickly to the conclusion that an Adventure in kayak only mode is a fat, miserable pig that needs a Mirage Drive to move.

• Like 1

I counted 18 entries in class 5 solo. Wow.

mostly Hobie TI/AI, but also there are Hobie 18, Hobie14, Weta, homebuilt catamaran, homebuilt tri designed by Alan from B&B, my inflatable, Roger’s tri 

its gonna be fun.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2019 at 9:19 PM, SailBlueH2O said:

I thought they just chopped up an OH Rodgers "Wedge" classic moth:

Fla_Wedge_onshore.jpg

And mounted the side tanks to Spawn.

Reminiscent of the Kiwi 35 wings, just above the deck, rather than flat with the deck:

1504763L.jpg?2

image6823.jpg

This is a boat, based on another boat, taking shapes of a third boat, to enhance the latest boat.   Sort of recursive yacht design.

- Stumbling

On 1/30/2019 at 3:41 PM, MisterMoon said:

Here's Roger's new boat.

JollyRoger.jpg

It will be interesting to see how the sail reefs.

- Stumbling

20 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

Fla_Wedge_onshore.jpg

Reminiscent of the Kiwi 35 wings, just above the deck, rather than flat with the deck:

1504763L.jpg?2

image6823.jpg

This is a boat, based on another boat, taking shapes of a third boat, to enhance the latest boat.   Sort of recursive yacht design.

- Stumbling

Are you going on Friday ?

1 hour ago, CrazyR said:

I counted 18 entries in class 5 solo. Wow.

mostly Hobie TI/AI, but also there are Hobie 18, Hobie14, Weta, homebuilt catamaran, homebuilt tri designed by Alan from B&B, my inflatable, Roger’s tri 

its gonna be fun.

We're in the two man Hobie TI class. But we're not going to exactly be racin'. At least that's what I keep telling myself.... 

Our target time is 5 and a half days, so a Thursday evening finish. Le

1 minute ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Are you going on Friday ?

I would if I were in the country.   Currently am many timezones east for the foreseeable future.    I am angling to get back to the home swamp by the middle of this year.

At that point, I will cook something up for 2020 EC.

- Stumbling

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stumblingthunder said:

Fla_Wedge_onshore.jpg

1504763L.jpg?2

image6823.jpg

- Stumbling

Sort of, but not quite...

5 minutes ago, ~HHN92~ said:

Sort of, but not quite...

Intent was not a putdown.   I just see shapes that seem to recur over time.

- Stumbling

• Like 1

a lot of bother to get to something that is almost as good as a proper multihull.

13 hours ago, MisterMoon said:

We're in the two man Hobie TI class. But we're not going to exactly be racin'. At least that's what I keep telling myself.... 

Our target time is 5 and a half days, so a Thursday evening finish. Le

Well, the entire idea wasn’t about racing anyway. It is initially geared toward beach cruising. Just bring your cruising craft and do long distance as efficiently as you can. So it is exciting to see Randy’s Sizzor and awe the talent, it is fascinating, no doubt. However most fascinating aspect is how diverse the group and how different are approaches to the “simple” task of sailing 300 miles in difficult coastal waters.

I sailed my boat only three days before, so im aiming to make it to the finish. Preferably at 4 days mark All my previous results are close to 5 days.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

It will be interesting to see how the sail reefs.

- Stumbling

Here is his reply to Facebook post. The FB thing wouldn’t let me copy so it is a screenshot4A9C3235-7B23-4811-B07B-8B2492E758E8.thumb.png.517fb55cb581473410786c9ee75de96d.png

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Doug Halsey said:

Is that really how the rudder is (not) shaped?

BluntTE.jpg

In the auto industry, we'd call that a Monday or a Friday...probably a Monday.  

2 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Its better than a flat piece of metal!

- Stumbling

10 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

10 hours ago, Doug Halsey said:

Is that really how the rudder is (not) shaped?

BluntTE.jpg

I was wondering how long it would take before some keyboard warriors would take a poke at the rudder shape, took longer than I thought.

I have to be honest, when I first saw the the stock rudder, my first thought was that it would have to be modified into something higher aspect.

Then I sailed the boat, what a sweet sailing boat!  Powerful, fast, well balanced. When faced with the myriad of other things to make her ready for the Challenge vs tinkering with rudder shapes, I chose to to stick with the shape that Sandy Douglass came up with.

I chose to make it 10% larger to help with the rollers in the Gulf of Mexico, and hopefully strong enough, Klegcell, epoxy, marineply. And yes, I am carrying a extra blade.

I wish it took only a Monday to build, laminating foam, glass and ply takes time.

So unless Cal 20 or Doug Halsey are Highlander National Champions or direct descendants of Sandy Douglass, they can suck it.

See you on the beach.

Andy Hayward

rudder 1.jpg

rudder21.jpg

interior.jpg

hobie bob.jpg

• Like 3

It's like the old joke where the kid shows up at the whore house and whips it out, and the Madam looks at his little unit and asks, who are you going to satisfy with that?  Me!

We don't matter, as long as you're happy with the boat, that's everything.  

Sail on.  

Edit:  So you fixed something that wasn't broken?

3 hours ago, sail10338 said:

I was wondering how long it would take before some keyboard warriors would take a poke at the rudder shape, took longer than I thought.

I have to be honest, when I first saw the the stock rudder, my first thought was that it would have to be modified into something higher aspect.

Then I sailed the boat, what a sweet sailing boat!  Powerful, fast, well balanced. When faced with the myriad of other things to make her ready for the Challenge vs tinkering with rudder shapes, I chose to to stick with the shape that Sandy Douglass came up with.

I chose to make it 10% larger to help with the rollers in the Gulf of Mexico, and hopefully strong enough, Klegcell, epoxy, marineply. And yes, I am carrying a extra blade.

I wish it took only a Monday to build, laminating foam, glass and ply takes time.

So unless Cal 20 or Doug Halsey are Highlander National Champions or direct descendants of Sandy Douglass, they can suck it.

See you on the beach.

Andy Hayward

rudder 1.jpg

rudder21.jpg

interior.jpg

hobie bob.jpg

Welcome to Sailing Anarchy, this one is a keeper!

- Stumbling

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

Its better than a flat piece of metal!

- Stumbling

The rudder from the factory on a Com-Pac catboat is a flat piece of metal. Many owners got a foil rudder from Ida Sailor.

I've tried both and found it really makes little difference when sailing at normal speeds. The big difference is when docking. That flat blade stalls if you move it and the foil doesn't at docking speed.

Lots of mods to those boats, but my mostly factory-stock boat won more National Championships than any other. The Sun Cat Nationals was created to make a mockery of sailboat racing but the factory boat really did win. At least, when no one who was a better sailor with a bigger sail showed up...

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 1:31 PM, stumblingthunder said:

Intent was not a putdown.   I just see shapes that seem to recur over time.

- Stumbling

None taken, just playing off of your comment. Talking to OH about the design I am sure it is a boat culled from years of designing/building boats and looking at the purpose of what Spawn needs to do. For the guys I'm pretty sure it is an event and challenge that is a bit different from the typical regatta routine of most sailing they do that piques their interest.

1 hour ago, hhn92 said:

None taken, just playing off of your comment. Talking to OH about the design I am sure it is a boat culled from years of designing/building boats and looking at the purpose of what Spawn needs to do. For the guys I'm pretty sure it is an event and challenge that is a bit different from the typical regatta routine of most sailing they do that piques their interest.

They get to do things to a boat first, then build a purpose designed boat that all the other classes and rules don't allow/favor.   I would think that it has been a lot of fun for them.

When I get myself back to the bay area, next year will be my turn for some out-there-idnis.

- Stumbling

Anybody hear of anything else new to EC showing up at the Fort this year?   Did Randy get Synergy put back together?

Inquiring minds want to know!

- Stumbling