Sign in to follow this  
Shootist Jeff

Happy New Year to all you miserable SOBs!!

And I mean that in the most loving and respectful way.  :D

I'm in Indonesia waiting for the fireworks to go off in about 30 min from now from the little fishing village next to our resort.  They've been testing their stuff most of the day - mostly little pops but some occasional big booms.  I'm told by a local a lot of it is homemade stuff they've been concocting.  Hope no one loses a hand.

This is the most sober I've been in a long time on 31 Dec at 11:35pm.  But the thought of getting up diving at 7am with a hangover is too much to contemplate.  

• Like 2

Happy New year to all...have a good  2019

56 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

This is the most sober I've been in a long time on 31 Dec at 11:35pm.  But the thought of getting up diving at 7am with a hangover is too much to contemplate.  

Not to mention its theoretical impact on nitrogen retention.............but if you're in the Straits I'd guess you are nowhere near DECO diving except maybe repets or bouncing....but I know its not your first day....;)

Happy fucking new year y'all

1 hour ago, Shootist Jeff said:

I'm in Indonesia waiting for the fireworks to go off in about 30 min...

Don't kid yourself Jeff, you aren't now and never were a 30 minute man.  Word on the street is that 'minuteman' is more like it.

Oh yeah, happy New Year!

Sober, but full of Valium and Tramadol. 

You guys can drink my quota for the night. Happy New year to you all. 

2 hours ago, Dorado said:

Didn't we just do this last year ?

Yeahe, thisse repetititione is getteng tirersome.                                   :)

3 hours ago, chinabald said:

Who writes anything anymore? 

Only a few checks a month to folks who do not take electronic payment.

I do keep a journal and write in that with a fountain pen...........its beautiful. I love writing, unfortunately my penmanship could be better....a lot better. Its kinda a cross between cursive and printing.

• Like 1

happy-new-year-the-drunken-squatch-be-ca

Jeff, 

Great thread and I have a feeling we would get along in person much better than the internet.  HNY to you and yours.  

Jim 

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Yeahe, thisse repetititione is getteng tirersome.                                   :)

Repetition in this context is better than the alternative!!

• Like 3

Just another trip around the SA fishbowl.   

Keep clicking and buying advertiser's stuff.  Good things happen when you do.

Happy New Year ya bunch of retards!  Can't believe how many of your words I've read over the last year,

You flaming idgits stop writing,  you folks that actually contribute, keep it up, love yer stuff,

Captain Retard

It's a what?..... A Gnu ear?..... Well I hope it works better than mine!

New Year’s Eve Special:

Exclusive private and semi-private rooms with stainless steel toilets available tonight (sorry, shower not included).

Possible roommates will be selected at our discretion. Each room is 6'x9' and features stark gray or white cinderblock walls. EXTRA firm beds with foam pillow tops and clean sheets.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner is served bedside (sorry, you don't have a choice).

Our delicious breakfast consists of cornflakes, milk, OJ, bread, peanut butter/jelly and an apple. Lunch will be a bologna sandwich (sorry no cheese) and bag of chips.

Dinner will be a delicious hot meal from La Kitchen du Countee‘.

This is an exclusive deal. You won't find it on Groupon or anywhere else!!

Room prices start at $1300+ with add-on amenities such as: Lawyer fees (never met a cheap one yet) $220+ tow/impound of your vehicle 100+ hours of community service in lieu of above nightly rate 40 hours of community service (picking up trash along the freeway) 13 weeks of traffic school (plus cost) 6 AA meetings 3 year probation 1 year loss of license 8x10 photos commemorating your evening are free! There are PLENTY of options to get you home safe and cheaper than the black & white cabs offering rides.

Yeah HNY you lot, though for me it was over 12 hours ago and i got the most pissed that i have in quite a while. Working off tbe grogginess now with a 100km bike ride to kick the New Year off.

'twas the hour after new years

and all through the house

the lovely stench of black powder

and a catatonic mouse

Happy New Year, y'all

17 hours ago, Point Break said:

Not to mention its theoretical impact on nitrogen retention.............but if you're in the Straits I'd guess you are nowhere near DECO diving except maybe repets or bouncing....but I know its not your first day....;)

Not true. It’s actually some of the closest to deco diving I’ve done in a while. Max depths are typically only 20-25m with average around 18.  But you basically go down to 22m and stay laying on the sand bottom taking pics or just going back and forth. Not the usual dive profiles of go deep early and gradually come up to the shallow reef top. 

We’ve been averaging 17-19m (55-62ft) for 65 min dives. We’re diving on Nitrox or else our bottom time would be really short. 

No hangover, headed out the door at 0dark30 in search of a wiley wapiti. 12 inches of fresh snow and sub zero temps might hunker them down a little.

Happy New Year 

16 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

It's like deja vu all over again!

9 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

It's a what?..... A Gnu ear?..... Well I hope it works better than mine!

WHAT????

26 minutes ago, bmiller said:

No hangover, headed out the door at 0dark30 in search of a wiley wapiti. 12 inches of fresh snow and sub zero temps might hunker them down a little.

Happy New Year 

It will be a beautiful day, either way.

Good Luck!

I'm in search of Mt Lion  until 30 Apr  or I get snowed out (more likely)

On 12/31/2018 at 11:42 AM, Point Break said:

49064749_2027787527307996_7712645499831975936_n.jpg

there was one year back in the early 2000s that I pre-wrote the year into abut 3 checkbooks.....

. incorrectly

HNY you miserable bastards....

Remember, do something just a little bit better every day.

1.00 ^ 365 = 1.00
0.99 ^ 365 = 0.03
1.01 ^ 365 = 37.8

5 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Not true. It’s actually some of the closest to deco diving I’ve done in a while. Max depths are typically only 20-25m with average around 18.  But you basically go down to 22m and stay laying on the sand bottom taking pics or just going back and forth. Not the usual dive profiles of go deep early and gradually come up to the shallow reef top. 

We’ve been averaging 17-19m (55-62ft) for 65 min dives. We’re diving on Nitrox or else our bottom time would be really short. 

Interesting....I assumed the muck diving was all pretty shallow. Consider me newly informed.

On 12/31/2018 at 4:42 PM, Point Break said:

49064749_2027787527307996_7712645499831975936_n.jpg

Awkward moment Sydney's new year fireworks show gets the year WRONG

Boats back Sydney harbour for the spectacular fireworks show which went a bit wrong this year

Some still do :lol:

Around one million party-goers packed the waterfront for the annual fireworks show but organisers accidentally projected the wrong year onto the world famous Sydney Harbour Bridge. The words “Happy New Year 2018” were unfortunately emblazoned onto one of the giant support pillars just as Australia entered 2019. People stood down by the bridge snapped photos of the blunder and quickly shared them on social media.

On 1/1/2019 at 1:01 AM, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Have a good trip and get pics Jeff! 

Thanks!  Just about to do the last dive. As soon as I figure out a good pic hosting site, I’ll get some of the decent ones up of the undersea critters. 

8 hours ago, Point Break said:

Interesting....I assumed the muck diving was all pretty shallow. Consider me newly informed.

Yeah, I thought so too. The only shallow dive of the Lembeh trip so far was last night’s dive. We spent most of the time on a black sandy bottom around 8-12 m. But all the other dives have all been quite deep averages. Surprised me too. As I said, NOX is pretty much a requirement or you would be running out of bottom time very quickly, especially on repetitive 4 dive days. 

4 hours ago, Point Break said:

49348759_2030298443723571_7948256380509487104_n.jpg

Ha!  

so been on vacation since the 20th,  driving back to work today.  one mile out and the power steering goes out onmy ford.  so now my little compact card is driving like a 1970's school with no power steering.

It could not have failed while i was was on vacation with nothing to do.   No its got to fail on the  way to work, while I'm on a narrow bridge with a sharp turn at the end of the bridge..  Electric steering, no fluid or pumps.  Hopefully this isn't indicative of they way 2019 is going to be.

So this is Item #1.  bad things in threes.  stand by for #2 and #3

1 hour ago, Marcjsmith said:

so been on vacation since the 20th,  driving back to work today.  one mile out and the power steering goes out onmy ford.  so now my little compact card is driving like a 1970's school with no power steering.

It could not have failed while i was was on vacation with nothing to do.   No its got to fail on the  way to work, while I'm on a narrow bridge with a sharp turn at the end of the bridge..  Electric steering, no fluid or pumps.  Hopefully this isn't indicative of they way 2019 is going to be.

Hope it's not the brakes and windshield!  

I hope it is just a door ding and parking ticket.

Best to identify them and get it over with.

On 1/1/2019 at 1:10 AM, Ed Lada said:
On 12/31/2018 at 11:38 PM, Shootist Jeff said:

I'm in Indonesia waiting for the fireworks to go off in about 30 min...

Don't kid yourself Jeff, you aren't now and never were a 30 minute man.  Word on the street is that 'minuteman' is more like it.

Oh yeah, happy New Year!

Ed, why would anyone want to go for 30 min anyway?? That’s 28 min of football I could be watching instead!  It’s all about efficiency ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

No power steering and you're whining?

Try having the steering wheel of your Porsche come off in your hands in the middle of a two lane S-bend, downtown in the morning rush. (Stanley Park Causeway at Lost Lagoon for you locals)

Better than a triple shot espresso I can tell you. :blink:

13 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

No power steering and you're whining?

Try having the steering wheel of your Porsche come off in your hands in the middle of a two lane S-bend, downtown in the morning rush. (Stanley Park Causeway at Lost Lagoon for you locals)

Better than a triple shot espresso I can tell you. :blink:

You gotta say more than that - how in the hell does a steering wheel come of the column? 

1 hour ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

You gotta say more than that - how in the hell does a steering wheel come of the column? 

A loose nut behind the wheel.  They make a special tool to fix that.  It's called a pilot wrench.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

maxresdefault.jpg

7 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

A loose nut behind the wheel.  They make a special tool to fix that.  It's called a pilot wrench.

The steering wheels I've pulled off have almost all still required a puller after the retaining nut was removed - I gotta wonder what Sloops was doing w/his - and hope there's a good story behind it.  

28 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

The loose nut behind the wheel in my car causes all my problems/tickets.

40 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:
1 hour ago, P_Wop said:

A loose nut behind the wheel. 

yeah we know that, but what made the steering wheel come off..

Pulleng to harde tryning to poppa wheellie.                                                      :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Pulleng to harde tryning to poppa wheellie.                                                      :)

Very good possibility Snaggs. 

You can damage all manner of things by pulling too hard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, P_Wop said:

That's sort of it - the shaft nut backed off and the splines were not the usual tight fit. German precision. :rolleyes:

I just jammed it back on the splines and pressed it down until I could pull over and set things up properly.

Sure got my heart racing but I learned how I react in a crisis. :D

It's an interesting experience to be in the middle of a corner in heavy traffic and suddenly be holding your steering wheel in mid air and looking at the end of your steering column.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

That's sort of it - the shaft nut backed off and the splines were not the usual tight fit. German precision. :rolleyes:

I just jammed it back on the splines and pressed it down until I could pull over and set things up properly.

It's an interesting experience to be in the middle of a corner in heavy traffic and suddenly be holding your steering wheel in mid air and looking at the end of your steering column.

Like me, I am sure you saw that happen more than once in the Saturday cartoons on television.  Your quick reaction to the actual event was probably a your brain recalling the event in the cartoons and causing implementation of the correct solution, all in a split second. 

Obviously.

On 1/4/2019 at 12:22 AM, Ed Lada said:

Like me, I am sure you saw that happen more than once in the Saturday cartoons on television.  Your quick reaction to the actual event was probably a your brain recalling the event in the cartoons and causing implementation of the correct solution, all in a split second. 

Obviously.

Yeah, its amazing the life lessons you learn from Bugs Bunny and Looney Tunes.

6 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Yeah, its amazing the life lessons you learn from Bugs Bunny and Looney Tunes.

Mostly I learned anvils are not good hunting tools when stalking roadrunners. 

2 hours ago, Point Break said:

Mostly I learned anvils are not good hunting tools when stalking roadrunners. 

And you have to be vewy vewy quiet when you're hunting wabbits.....

• Like 1

I'm still thinking about trying that rocket and roller skates kit.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 3:59 AM, Dorado said:

I'm still thinking about trying that rocket and roller skates kit.

DUDE!  I've always wanted one of those!!!  What could go wrong?

Make sure you get the ACME - those other kits are dangerous.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

DUDE!  I've always wanted one of those!!!  What could go wrong?

Some asshole might throw one of those portable holes out in the road. It's the only thing that's stopping me from ordering RIGHT NOW !

Portable_Hole_8289.jpg

1 hour ago, Dorado said:

Some asshole might throw one of those portable holes out in the road. It's the only thing that's stopping me from ordering RIGHT NOW !

Portable_Hole_8289.jpg

Beep-beep!

On 1/3/2019 at 9:30 AM, SloopJonB said:

Heavy traffic there? Rush hour? Between little Beijing to little Tehran? What were you thinking? I don't even try these days.

On 1/2/2019 at 3:52 AM, Bump-n-Grind said:

there was one year back in the early 2000s that I pre-wrote the year into abut 3 checkbooks.....

. incorrectly

Whats a checkbook?