Sign in to follow this  
Shortforbob

retiring overseas..anyone done it? thought about it?

Whether you have a big or small retirement income, sometimes I wonder why most people retire in their home country.

It's fine if you have sun, good food and a relaxed environment where you are, but if you live where it's cold in winter and the lifestyle is expensive, there's impatient and sressed out people everywhere , why do we stay put?

Think of somewhere you can live cheaply, swim every day, eat fresh food and are safe from all/most our 21st century petty irritations and stress.

Would you do it?

I retired. Sailed and travelled everywhere. Including the Philippine Islands. Moving here now. Best thing I ever did. Highly recommended. Cheap. Sailing. Good weather except for the typhoons. Got a brand new wife.

• Like 3

I left the US 22 years ago, my only plan was that I didn't want to come back if I could help it. 

I 'retired' last year, and I couldn't be happier.  It isn't terribly cold here, but it isn't a tropical paradise either.  It is relatively safe, even if we are hemmed in between 2 historic enemies, Germany and Russia.  It is definitely cheap, as my income is in USD, and the exchange rate has been pretty good for the most part. 

Petty irritations are everywhere, but my life is as stress free as it has ever been.  I have discovered that a lack of stress does have its limitations.  I just told my wife the other day that having had some jobs that were extremely stressful (that I enjoyed mostly), and 3 marriages, I find that it's like athletic conditioning.  If you don't work out regularly, you lose some ability.  When high stress was a daily part of life I dealt with it pretty well.  Now that life life is relatively stress free I find I just don't handle stress as easily as when it was a big part of my daily life.  Dealing with the current situation isn't a big deal, it's just an interesting discovery for me.

• Like 4

I'm toying with the Idea of retiring in Greece.

I'd take a year off work to trial it.

So much better for ones health. no stress, healthy food, compulsory exercise walking .

Expats when you want em, locals when you dont,  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, El Boracho said:

I retired. Sailed and travelled everywhere. Including the Philippine Islands. Moving here now. Best thing I ever did. Highly recommended. Cheap. Sailing. Good weather except for the typhoons. Got a brand new wife.

It’s sounds idyllic........ right up until the new wife part. :P

5 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

So much better for ones health. no stress, healthy food, compulsory exercise walking .

Mainland, or one of the islands? 

My biggest concern would be the standard of healthcare in Greece, apart from that, it’s not a bad choice. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mad said:

Mainland, or one of the islands? 

My biggest concern would be the standard of healthcare in Greece, apart from that, it’s not a bad choice. 

Winter in Kos, summer Astypalia, we use to have a agreement re health care, looks like that disappeared ..as far as I understand, their actual treatment stuff is as good as anywhere, its the bed changing and food bringing is a bit basic.

I've best friends on kos, so they could show me the ropes.

Cost of living between Oz and greece is mindblowing.  

9 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

I was there last year on a cruise.  While visiting one of the eastern Greek Islands I heard fighter jets. When I asked the guide (s-air force) he said it was either their planes or the turks. It seem the turks violate Greek airspace on a regular basis just to mess with them.

If pondering an island I would stay more west and recognize that if it a port call for a ship, your idyllic life will be disrupted when the ship comes in.  

1 minute ago, Snore said:

I was there last year on a cruise.  While visiting one of the eastern Greek Islands I heard fighter jets. When I asked the guide (s-air force) he said it was either their planes or the turks. It seem the turks violate Greek airspace on a regular basis just to mess with them.

If pondering an island I would stay more west and recognize that if it a port call for a ship, your idyllic life will be disrupted when the ship comes in.  

The jets? nothing unusual in Europe. Depends where you go.

If you;re ON a cruise, it seems like there's nothing worse than the flocks of tourists..depends on where you are..Kalymnos for example gets cruise boats into Vathi for a couple of hours a day..when they're gone..bliss ..Places like Kos or Mykynos or Rhodos always overrun in summer..

Depends on family situation. Seeing the grandkids at holidays, etc. Former neighbors built a house in Belize and left after a couple years there. Cited crime etc.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NaptimeAgain said:

Depends on family situation. Seeing the grandkids at holidays, etc. Former neighbors built a house in Belize and left after a couple years there. Cited crime etc.

No Grandkids..My kids are still in the exploring adulthood years..don't need me close at hand.

It's not like 40 years ago, you can hop on a plane for a visit anytime.

as they can come to you. 

My Kids spent some time in Greece when they were little, we're all going over ther in june for a few weeks so they can check out where they can spend winter.

Grandkids would be different I suppose, but I'd like to enjoy a few years of absolute freedom before the next generation engulfs my life :D

MI0000041839.jpg.b20e1c0bf139a3a88f8e115c38a9ef3d.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Isn’t Australia full of Greeks who didn’t want to stay in Greece? Is there a lesson there? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chinabald said:

Isn’t Australia full of Greeks who didn’t want to stay in Greece? Is there a lesson there? 

No, but there's a saying - "The grass is always greener....."

4 hours ago, chinabald said:

Yeah - Greece is a basket case WRT well-paying work.

Hence the very cheap cost of living.

Meli's idea has merit if you don't mind being a rich ex-pat exploiting the cheap living conditions of the natives.

One fly in her ointment though - she can't export a taxpayer's pension for more than I think 6 weeks a year, so private income including superannuation only.

FKT

35 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Meli's idea has merit if you don't mind being a rich ex-pat exploiting the cheap living conditions of the natives...and helping their economy

One fly in her ointment though - she can't export a taxpayer's pension for more than I think 6 weeks a year, so private income including superannuation only.

FKT

Seeing as we cant get OAP for another 7 years, I'd be using my own income. That's the whole point I'm not waiting 7 years to retire.

Thats another reason for moving..those on a smaller retirement income can rent in greece for a fraction of the money they get for renting their own house ... rent 2 bed house 2-300E per MONTH! 

I don't have much time for retiree's or tourists either that supplement their play money by working illegally and taking local jobs.

Or Sponge off poorer economies.

7 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

How fluent in Greek are you?

Based between two islands makes it a lot harder, doubling up on houses/rent and belongings with less community involvement?

They are pretty close together, so not a lot of difference in climate between winter and summer, just more tourists in summer in Kos. Plus refugees.....

Enjoy the research......

11 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

How fluent in Greek are you?

Based between two islands makes it a lot harder, doubling up on houses/rent and belongings with less community involvement?

They are pretty close together, so not a lot of difference in climate between winter and summer, just more tourists in summer in Kos. Plus refugees.....

Enjoy the research......

I speak enough to get by at the moment, got a couple of years to learn and   Greek friends here to practice on.

Kos is a good place in winter, bigger island , big Dutch/english expat population.Plenty to do.they spend a lot of their time helping the refugees,something I want to do...Astypalia in spring and summer..Tourists mainly greek. Much quieter and they've learned about NOT wrecking the island from the tourist dollar..

My Best friend lives on Kos and I made some new friends on Asypalia last year.

Go for it!

Let us know when you are set up. ......Might even pay you a visit...

2 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

Go for it!

Let us know when you are set up. ......Might even pay you a visit...

Astypalia has a lovely little harbour :)

1 minute ago, Sidecar said:

So have I.......

224F92F5-BC69-4AEC-AB1E-D3C1F763EC77.jpeg

too far from the Zaxaroplaseion  :P

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chinabald said:

Yes and No..The Greeks came to Oz in the 50's 60's mainly..for a combination of reasons both economical and political.

eg Modern industry killed off a very lucrative but hard life Sponge diving in Kalymnos, many went pearl diving in Broome. Those they left behind fled the Junta later.

Like most migrants'they worked hard bought a house for each daughter and retired in relative or actual wealth.

Returning home to retire? many actually did..most won't leave their Kids and Grandkids. :)

Greece today still has economic woes, along with a lot of pluses for both rich and poor...The Greeks have been serenely looking down on us for 3000 years or so..through wars feast and famine..the most friendly "superior" people you'll ever meet

• Like 1

Seeing as we cant get OAP for another 7 years, I'd be using my own income. That's the whole point I'm not waiting 7 years to retire.

Thats another reason for moving..those on a smaller retirement income can rent in greece for a fraction of the money they get for renting their own house ... rent 2 bed house 2-300E per MONTH! 

I don't have much time for retiree's or tourists either that supplement their play money by working illegally and taking local jobs.

I can rent my house out & live on my boat, which I can take wherever I feel like going. Problem is I already live in an idyllic spot so Bruny Island is as far as I'll probably bother with. If I head north I need to go a long way to get somewhere with few people and a decent climate.

My personal choice would probably be Chile as NZ doesn't really count for Australians. All those lovely convoluted waterways and not as cold/expensive as Canada.

But yeah - assuming you rent not sell your Melbourne house that should return $400-600 a week, maybe more. That'd help a lot in covering expenses.

FWIW I think it's worth doing as long as you don't burn any bridges. Greece wouldn't be my choice but - shrug - the idea has a lot of merit if you can make the financial side work.

FKT

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Meli's idea has merit if you don't mind being a rich ex-pat exploiting the cheap living conditions of the natives.

FKT

If you live in Oz for more than 35 years after age 16, you get a full aged pension overseas.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/pension-rates-payable-people-outside-australia/29791

3 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

The other view of that is that you are bringing money into the local economy.

13 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

The other view of that is that you are bringing money into the local economy.

as long as you're getting your own medical insurance, paying rates for local services etc ..yeah.

49 minutes ago, olaf hart said:

If you live in Oz for more than 35 years after age 16, you get a full aged pension overseas.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/pension-rates-payable-people-outside-australia/29791

Yeah, I can probably make money by renting my house and living in Greece. Though the rent counts as income and would be taxed and reduce the pension a little bit.

Stupid isn't it?..the disparity in land values and costs of living between two first world countries.

Sponge off the poor? Exploiting? The reality is an expat in retirement is all positive for the locals. Might be exploitation if the lifestyle requires bossing around a dozen palace slaves...or relentlessly cruising the red light district...but in the typical case, no.

I would advise not seeking residence in a hot tourist area in either Greece or SE Asia, anywhere. Live an hour away, or more. The resort lifestyle never becomes like a “home”. Plus too many unwanted visitors from the old country. You can easily visit the tourist area anytime.

USA SS is happily paid anywhere, forever.

Can rent a house in the Philippine provinces for the price of the utility bills in the USA. Not kidding. With free coconuts. A nice home costs about the same as that Tesla...

13 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Whether you have a big or small retirement income, sometimes I wonder why most people retire in their home country.

It's fine if you have sun, good food and a relaxed environment where you are, but if you live where it's cold in winter and the lifestyle is expensive, there's impatient and sressed out people everywhere , why do we stay put?

Think of somewhere you can live cheaply, swim every day, eat fresh food and are safe from all/most our 21st century petty irritations and stress.

Would you do it?

Thought about???  I’m PLANNING on it. Where is the only question. 

Already retired, if I have to put up with another term of Orange Menace I'm going to take a hard look at getting the fuck out.

3 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Thought about???  I’m PLANNING on it. Where is the only question. 

So when you going to stop fucking up the country you have no intention of returning too asshole?

• Downvote 1

Spent a week in Melaque/Barra on the Costa Legre last spring.  There are a lot of people living six months there, six months in Canada or the USA.  I have heard good things about Portugal for retirement, and I could spend a lot more time in the small beach towns in either Vietnam or Sri Lanka.  Mind you, I haven't been to either during the monsoon. 

Da Lat looks nice but I can't imagine being that far from the sea for any length of time.

5 hours ago, El Boracho said:

Sponge off the poor? Exploiting? The reality is an expat in retirement is all positive for the locals. Might be exploitation if the lifestyle requires bossing around a dozen palace slaves...or relentlessly cruising the red light district...but in the typical case, no.

I would advise not seeking residence in a hot tourist area in either Greece or SE Asia, anywhere. Live an hour away, or more. The resort lifestyle never becomes like a “home”. Plus too many unwanted visitors from the old country. You can easily visit the tourist area anytime.

USA SS is happily paid anywhere, forever.

Can rent a house in the Philippine provinces for the price of the utility bills in the USA. Not kidding. With free coconuts. A nice home costs about the same as that Tesla...

yeah, I have visited various parts of Greece over the years..you have to find somewhere where there's unlikely to be a huge change..First..avoid anywhere with sand beaches, second avoid "resort" islands..except in winter.

Santorini was amazing 30 years ago, now ..everything is owned by Athenians or Italians. Astypalia is beautiful and though there's now direct flights from Athens and Kos, the pebble beaches are unlikely to attract the sunburn and Chips set.

There's only one sealed road from the airport to the main town, rest is some pretty hairy dirt roads going nowhere ..perfect.

image.jpeg.ab7c5247b173758e9900a897bd40d33c.jpeg thats it. :)

Done the opposite. Lived in quite a few countries, rich and poor over 25 years. Now retired back in Kiwi. If not for kids and grandkids would happily sell my passport. And never enter an airport ever again. 

2 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

So when you going to stop fucking up the country you have no intention of returning too asshole?

Who said I was not returning?  When I retire, I plan to do something like 6 months in the US and 6 month out either sailing or traveling.  

And precisely "how" am I fucking up the country?  This should be entertaining......  

Surprised no one has mentioned Costa Rica or Argentina.... 

10 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Surprised no one has mentioned Costa Rica or Argentina.... 

Costa Rica is quite expensive, Argentina is fucked up more often than not...Uruguay is the place!

On 1/1/2019 at 6:59 AM, Shortforbob said:

Would you do it?

you will not be a citizen in any other country....that can mean a lot in a hurry. 

On 1/1/2019 at 6:52 AM, Snore said:

Greeks and Turks ... kind of an oddball set of historic confrontations, two democracies that war with each other. That almost never happens, it's usually a democracy vs. authoritarian. And they are supposedly at the brink again,  https://www.google.com/amp/s/foreignpolicy.com/2018/04/18/greece-and-turkey-are-inching-toward-war/amp/

Anyway, to retiring overseas, seems like a good thing to do if pleasure is important, but to save money? There are almost always cheap places to live and cheap lifestyles that can keep you close to your children and grandchildren. I would live on rice and beans out of a 4KSB on a shitdock, if it meant being close to the people I love. Grandchildren and children must be the truest gifts of old age I think.

59 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Greeks and Turks ... kind of an oddball set of historic confrontations,

I am always amused by those historic hatreds - Greeks & Turks, Serbs & Croats, Arabs & Jews etc.

No-one from outside can tell them apart but they will gladly murder each other on a large scale over their supposed differences.

• Like 3

Has anybody considered Malta?

Part of the EU, part of the Euro Zone and Schengen area. For the European citizens, it is a plus.

Supposedly nice weather all year round, decent health care, and safe... and relatively cheap (not like Vietnam or Philippines, though...)

On 1/1/2019 at 8:52 AM, Snore said:

This is why we like cruising on Star Clipper ships!  Most ports they visit are not large enough for the giant Cruise Ships that take thousands aboard.  Venice and Piraeus, where we began from and ended at, were the only ports like that, on most recent trip in October.

9 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I am always amused by those historic hatreds - Greeks & Turks, Serbs & Croats, Arabs & Jews etc.

No-one from outside can tell them apart but they will gladly murder each other on a large scale over their supposed differences.

I kinda get the regular ethnic conflicts, like the Serbs and the Croats, they'll fight as long as the Macedonians can keep them distracted. And the Jews and Arabs got along well enough until Britain needed their colonies to fight with each other so they didn't notice when the Crown stole all their stuff.

But the Greeks and Turks are a real odd conflict. They have all the democratic diplomatic channels in place, they have control of their own national wealth, but they just can't seem to resist pissing on each other. Maybe they enjoy it?

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

I kinda get the regular ethnic conflicts, like the Serbs and the Croats, they'll fight as long as the Macedonians can keep them distracted. And the Jews and Arabs got along well enough until Britain needed their colonies to fight with each other so they didn't notice when the Crown stole all their stuff.

But the Greeks and Turks are a real odd conflict. They have all the democratic diplomatic channels in place, they have control of their own national wealth, but they just can't seem to resist pissing on each other. Maybe they enjoy it?

It's historic goes back to Homer..Trojans and Greeks..there's islands the Greek Gov PAY people to live on just to keep em out of Turkish hands. However, on the ground on the islands off the Turkish coast or with larger a well imbedded Turkish population they get on just fine.

It;s a lovely thing to hear the call to prayer early in the morning floating over Rhodos or Kos.

No different from Alsace/Lorraine really.

image.jpeg.66c617d5c87a5f54cf48f871f892af19.jpeg

Admiral Laskarina Bouboulina

6 hours ago, chester said:

Costa Rica is quite expensive, Argentina is fucked up more often than not...Uruguay is the place!

Nicaragua is Costa Rica 2.0, or will be if/when their political issues are sorted out.

7 hours ago, chester said:

you will not be a citizen in any other country....that can mean a lot in a hurry. 

Not true. Meli could illegally immigrate to the US and if she’s here long enough we’ll just give her free citizenship. In the meantime there is little issue with her getting a driver’s license, working, accessing medical care and if she had school age kids they could go to school for free, no questions asked. 

At least she mostly speaks English. So she has that going for her. 

3 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

It;s a lovely thing to hear the call to prayer early in the morning floating over Rhodos or Kos.

It’s lovely until you have to hear it five FUCKING times a day everyday starting at 4:50am!!!!

15 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:
17 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Who said I was not returning?  When I retire, I plan to do something like 6 months in the US and 6 month out either sailing or traveling.  

And precisely "how" am I fucking up the country?  This should be entertaining......  

Hey angry boi @Mismoyled Jiblet. or @Raz'r whichever sock you’re using, are you going to answer the question??

2 hours ago, dash34 said:

Nicaragua is Costa Rica 2.0, or will be if/when their political issues are sorted out.

And when might that be? You'd  be better to pony up the extra points for Costa Rica...a country that hasn't lost its shit multiple times.

One thing to consider is the cost of things that you want to make your life enjoyable.  A friend of mine recently moved to Canada after having been retired in Thailand for a while.  It is cheaper for him to live in Canada than it was in Thailand.  If he wanted to live 100% on Thai food and local beer, then Thailand would have been way cheaper, but he wanted Western food occasionally and reasonably good red wine all the time which made it more expensive.

Getting wine in Greece shouldn't be a problem, getting wine you enjoy drinking may be more of an issue......

My sister and her hubby retired to Mexico. They like heat, they like the people, and the cost of living is a fraction of what it is here on Vancouver Island. Eight years now and they are happy, but they aren't giving up their citizenship just in case. Property values are skyrocketing here, our appraisal is up 40% from two years ago.

We have talked about spending a few years someplace warm on a boat and renting out our property. No way are we going to sell, this market is unforgiving. Until the earthquake, of course.

1 hour ago, Tunnel Rat said:

One thing to consider is the cost of things that you want to make your life enjoyable.  A friend of mine recently moved to Canada after having been retired in Thailand for a while.  It is cheaper for him to live in Canada than it was in Thailand.  If he wanted to live 100% on Thai food and local beer, then Thailand would have been way cheaper, but he wanted Western food occasionally and reasonably good red wine all the time which made it more expensive.

Getting wine in Greece shouldn't be a problem, getting wine you enjoy drinking may be more of an issue......

They actually have some pretty good wine in Greece..and I actually like retzina :)  

True on the islands food can be quite expensive. shipping costs.even rice is dear compared to here..but ..eat locally grown stuff and cut down on meat. Get used to slow baking the rougher cuts .I love greek food...power bills are reasonable..water can be expensive.

Cars and fuel are expensive..bus fares are cheap.

It does balance out .

If you want to live the way you lived at home, there's not much point in leaving.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Hey angry boi @Mismoyled Jiblet. or @Raz'r whichever sock you’re using, are you going to answer the question??

Never go Full Retard Jeffreaux.

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Jeffreaux.

So are you going to answer the question?

3 hours ago, chester said:
6 hours ago, dash34 said:

And when might that be? You'd  be better to pony up the extra points for Costa Rica...a country that hasn't lost its shit multiple times.

Anyone have any experience with Panama??  I’ve heard good things about expat life there. 

10 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

So are you going to answer the question?

Why would I? You directed it at Jiblet.

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

My sister and her hubby retired to Mexico. They like heat, they like the people, and the cost of living is a fraction of what it is here on Vancouver Island. Eight years now and they are happy, but they aren't giving up their citizenship just in case. Property values are skyrocketing here, our appraisal is up 40% from two years ago.

We have talked about spending a few years someplace warm on a boat and renting out our property. No way are we going to sell, this market is unforgiving. Until the earthquake, of course.

Yeah, pretty much what I'm planning. Keep the Melbourne house and use the rent to support myself..stay in Greece until I get too old to climb up  the steps from the port, then come home for the Medical care and pension :)

Yeah, pretty much what I'm planning. Keep the Melbourne house and use the rent to support myself..stay in Greece until I get too old to climb up  the steps from the port, then come home for the Medical care and pension :)

Rent in Kos is 76% lower than Melbourne..so ..swap a 3 bed house in Melbourne for a 2 bed apt in Kos..I'm laughin'

Heres an interesting cost of living comparison thingy to play with.

The prices quoted for Melbourne seem pretty accurate

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Australia&country2=Greece&city1=Melbourne&city2=Kos&tracking=getDispatchComparison

1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

Well, can you ask your “friend” in your head to answer the question.  I’m curious how he thinks I wrecked the country from afar. 

3 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Well, can you ask your “friend” in your head to answer the question.  I’m curious how he thinks I wrecked the country from afar. 

take it to PA 

2 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

take it to PA 

No I’ll take it here since I wasn’t the one who turned it political. Talk to missmoyled razr for that issue. 

• Like 1

They actually have some pretty good wine in Greece..and I actually like retzina :)  

True on the islands food can be quite expensive. shipping costs.even rice is dear compared to here..but ..eat locally grown stuff and cut down on meat. Get used to slow baking the rougher cuts .I love greek food...power bills are reasonable..water can be expensive.

Cars and fuel are expensive..bus fares are cheap.

It does balance out .

If you want to live the way you lived at home, there's not much point in leaving.

My wife and I are also fans of Greek cuisine, especially my wife, and retsina too.

I asked her if she could live in Greece..... she lived there for a year in her early twenties and loved it, but we are now retired here in Tassie. If it wasn’t for the kids and grandchild, she could, but on one of the greener islands, further north. I could too, but I would also need a big shed and tools. I could also do Galicia in NW Spain too, but my wife wouldn’t.....

We also toyed with the idea of buying a small mountain chalet in the Italian/Austrian/Slovenian alps for the winter and go skiing and getting a boat to live on in the summer in the Adriatic and Ionian Seas....  park it in Venice, Trieste or Slovenia and head for the alps once the snow had arrived.

Melbourne has some great Greek restaurants.... Would be interested to know your recommendations?  Can check them out next time we visit our youngest son in Melbourne.....

11 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

You’d have to ask him. I don’t know Jiblet.

6 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

It’s lovely until you have to hear it five FUCKING times a day everyday starting at 4:50am!!!!

not an early riser Jeff?

I'f I can sleep through a melbourne tram going past my window every morning at 5am..I think I can cope with the pre dawn prayer..anyway the minaret fell down in last years eathquake..hmm..earthquakes :(

4 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

My wife and I are also fans of Greek cuisine, especially my wife, and retsina too.

I asked her if she could live in Greece..... she lived there for a year in her early twenties and loved it, but we are now retired here in Tassie. If it wasn’t for the kids and grandchild, she could, but on one of the greener islands, further north. I could too, but I would also need a big shed and tools. I could also do Galicia in NW Spain too, but my wife wouldn’t.....

We also toyed with the idea of buying a small mountain chalet in the Italian/Austrian/Slovenian alps for the winter and go skiing and getting a boat to live on in the summer in the Adriatic and Ionian Seas....  park it in Venice, Trieste or Slovenia and head for the alps once the snow had arrived.

Melbourne has some great Greek restaurants.... Would be interested to know your recommendations?  Can check them out next time we visit our youngest son in Melbourne.....

Too much rain in Galacia and Asturias..:)

Depends what you mean by "good greek" restaurants..I like the old plastic Parthenon and grape bunches in Swan St   Richmond and the food's OK..a lot have gone "modern greek" Pricier but very good..or v bad.

Bahari in Swan st for trad

You want over the top? The Press Club..fabulous teeny bites for fabulous prices

1 minute ago, Shortforbob said:

Too much rain in Galacia and Asturias..:)

Depends what you mean by "good greek" restaurants..I like the old plastic Parthenon and grape bunches in Swan St   Richmond and the food's OK..a lot have gone "modern greek" Pricier but very good..or v bad.

Bahari in Swan st for trad

You want over the top? The Press Club..fabulous teeny bites for fabulous prices

Have you tried Jim’s Greek Taverna in Collingwood?

1 minute ago, Sidecar said:

Have you tried Jim’s Greek Taverna in Collingwood?

No, off my beat.

My local is Lemnos high st Prahran..always dependable ..I only splash out when my BIL's in town :D

11 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

No, off my beat.

My local is Lemnos high st Prahran..always dependable ..I only splash out when my BIL's in town :D

You should. Don’t be put off by the name. Get there early and join the queue..... Not expensive and go for the taste menu.

PS I forgot, they do only a basic red or white house wine, or else bring your own......

31 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Too much rain in Galacia and Asturias..:).......

Depends on how far east or south you go along the coast to get your preferred amount of rain..... Many years ago I did a RORC  Cowes to Bayona race. Was impressed with Bayona, what little I saw of it, also the potential in the surrounding areas or should I say RIas...... And Portugal is just down the road.

3 hours ago, VOA said:

The Egyptian Jew likes Greek food? How about that

My other BIL (husband's brother). But my Egyptian Jewish BIL's (my sisters husband) Grandmother was born in Corfu and his Grandfather was born in Corsica...It;s a big world.

5 minutes ago, VOA said:

Miuayga!

Have you ever heard of Sephardi jews? Idiot. His mum speaks Spanish,Italian, greek,french, hebrew, arabic AND English.

(and she reckons I make the best Kourabiedes ) Malaka.

8 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Really... when are you going to stop jerking everyone off.... 

48 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Really... when are you going to stop jerking everyone off.... 

Y u such a dick?

9 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Anyone have any experience with Panama??  I’ve heard good things about expat life there. 

no personal experience but it has become a place that keeps coming up in these discussions:

as a northern plains boy this:

Panama has a tropical climate. Temperatures are uniformly high—as is the relative humidity—and there is little seasonal variation. Diurnal ranges are low; on a typical dry-season day in the capital city, the early morning minimum may be 24 °C (75.2 °F) and the afternoon maximum 30 °C (86.0 °F). The temperature seldom exceeds 32 °C (89.6 °F) for more than a short time.

is doable for me although 30 and high humidity would have me dragging my ass  and:

220px-Insel_Zapatilla_Panama.jpg

Zapatilla Island, Panama

Tourism in Panama is rapidly growing.[citation needed] It has maintained its growth over the past five years due to government tax and price discounts to foreign guests and retirees. These economic incentives have caused Panama to be regarded as a relatively good place to retire.

Incentives sound good!

Interesting repeat of a 60 Minutes segment on Malta on Sunday.  Seems Russian Oligarchs and other unsavory types are buying in there, to get Maltese Passports that give them Carte Blanche access to Euro countries and the US.  Woman reporter who was exposing it, was killed by a car bomb near her home.......

22 hours ago, Laurent said:

Has anybody considered Malta?

Part of the EU, part of the Euro Zone and Schengen area. For the European citizens, it is a plus.

Supposedly nice weather all year round, decent health care, and safe... and relatively cheap (not like Vietnam or Philippines, though...)

Meli has a UK passport I believe, so not much use in a few months time. 

Costa Rica expensive? relative to?

On 1/2/2019 at 9:52 AM, chester said:

? for what is Uruguay the place? Montevideo is pleasant enough, but dear lord one of the sites of the country is Fray Bentos a giant slaughterhouse.

good to see @Shootist Jeff is still peddling conspiracy theorys propagated by the crank @nacradriver It's bullshit, he knows it's bullshit, he's just trolling to defeat his PA "enemys" because that's the kind of losers they are. They'll keep riding it until its "debunked" then somehow it'll be the fault of the others.

well my research shows some very pleasant towns with affordable living, a pleasant rolling countryside, 1000 miles of beach on the atlantic and just across the river from buenos aires.  i'm assuming i could avoid being near a gigantic slaughter house.

2 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

? for what is Uruguay the place? Montevideo is pleasant enough, but dear lord one of the sites of the country is Fray Bentos a giant slaughterhouse.

good to see @Shootist Jeff is still peddling conspiracy theorys propagated by the crank @nacradriver It's bullshit, he knows it's bullshit, he's just trolling to defeat his PA "enemys" because that's the kind of losers they are. They'll keep riding it until its "debunked" then somehow it'll be the fault of the others.

Nice try Mitch....  why not create another scokpuppet... so you can debunk this...  Oh!  You already have!!!  Good for you.

One of the guys at work was telling us his cousin bought a 19thC "castle" in Yorkshire UK for the price of a two bedroom Sydney apartment. (abt 1 million AU) 

4 acres of land, 6 bedrooms, a ballroom, grand dining room and a turret :) 

Though I dont think he factored in the oil heating though :D

42 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

SIL and hubby sold their house out here an moved back to the Boston area... bragged about the great deal they got on a historical McMansion.... the land, barn, house etc....   now.... they cringe when the oil truck shows up...  not to forget the electricity to cool it in the summer....

One of the guys at work was telling us his cousin bought a 19thC "castle" in Yorkshire UK for the price of a two bedroom Sydney apartment. (abt 1 million AU) 

4 acres of land, 6 bedrooms, a ballroom, grand dining room and a turret :) 

Or the volume needed in that climate. That place must drink a couple of tank trucks every winter - at 2 1/2 quid per gallon

The coldest day of my life was in early October in Yorkshire - after the hottest summer on record in England.