Gouvernail

2019 Texas Centerboard Circuit!!!

Here we go again!! 

May this be the best  year ever!! 

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

Should we let people know? 

I'll be bringing my Nomad to at least one event this year.  We've done Wurstfest the past two years.  Looking to do that and maybe one more up near Dallas.

• Like 1

I just may have to sail the AERO at the Gov Cup

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

HOPE TO BE AT ALL, FOR SURE SPRINGDING, AND MAYBE WE'LL HAVE TWO YELLOW CF TOOTHPICKS THERE.

Mark your calendar!  We shall be there up or down!

• Like 1

There is a new fellow about to show up here asking about Laser Twos and the fleet.  Please prepare your welcoming remarks!!!

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

So for those in charge.

What number are you giving the AC's this year?

• Like 1

We're sailing with a 84 and the Evo's are 69.

Well here we go again. US Portsmouth shows 79.1 for the International canoe.

FIshingmickey

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ortegakid said:

We're sailing with a 84 and the Evo's are 69.

84? No way - unless you have a keg of beer strapped to the mast. And 69 is 49er fast. Can an Evo really keep pace with a 49er? Holy fuck!  

4 hours ago, bill4 said:

And 69 is 49er fast. Can an Evo really keep pace with a 49er? Holy fuck!  

Only over a waterfall. ................And the 84 for the IC is OK if U multiply the base rating by 1.03 every time the skipper is swimming.:huh:

The IC is one of the most skipper dependent craft in the whole non- trapping dinghy fleet to base its performance on. Between the two (IC & evo)  on a W/L course I'd put $ on a well sailed IC.

• Like 1

Mickey, am I to assume you are in charge.

Yes, Here we go again.

The question was not the number for an IC. It was for an AC. 

Derek, please don't comment . People don't know if you're serious or not.

Blackjack, I'm humbled you would put money on the canoe. Just saying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lifesave said:

Mickey, am I to assume you are in charge.

Yes, Here we go again.

The question was not the number for an IC. It was for an AC. 

Derek, please don't comment . People don't know if you're serious or not.

Blackjack, I'm humbled you would put money on the canoe. Just saying.

OK, sorry, just funnin, you know me, I'll never sail to rating anyways. But I'm gunna try hard dis year!

Hello Lifesave!

The 79.1 you are correct is for a IC. What's your opinion for a AC?  Is it faster then a IC?  Maybe not the new rules IC's that you raced against at HPDO some years back. That 79.1 rating is from way back as you well know. Even before the new rules IC's were being built or just coming out. Nothing has changed that I am aware of regarding the Portsmouth numbers on US Sailings web site.

Do we want to take the rating for the AC from RYA portsmouth numbers and extrapolate? I found a 870 rating for the AC verses 905 for the IC.

FM

• Like 1

My plan is to sail in the Classless fleet in  an AERO

• Like 1

Where is link to pay TCC dues?

Already signed up

Tanks Mikey, got it done also!

I guess we stole something!

821692E1-FA39-492B-A99F-287DA47CF827.jpeg

• Like 2

The forecast says rain but don’t let that bum you out.

It May rain for a while at some time on Saturday. 

Most of the day will have nice breeze and no rain. 

Mid you like sleeping in a tent while gentle rain falls, odds are good your Saturday night Sunday early morning will be perfect 

the rain is predicted to be gone by sunup

Long range wind  forecasts say steady south  breeze Saturday and west or south breeze Sunday depending on how things blow through. 

Some models show big west breeze

others show building south breeze

one model shows austin sitting in a hole between the systems with a building east northeast breeze in the morning shifting to due east then slamming to a huge southwesterly 

of course every prediction could be bullshit 

• Like 3

Woohoo!  Looks like we have seven boats so far for Gov Cup this weekend. Should be pretty interesting. Three Evo's, Harpoon 5.2, Thistle *2592, Contender and a Catalina 16.5. Interesting combination of old fast boats and new fast boats.

Fishingmickey

• Like 1

Y'all have fun and I want full reports, can't come but will be at spring ding!

23 hours ago, Fishingmickey said:

Woohoo!  Looks like we have seven boats so far for Gov Cup this weekend. Should be pretty interesting. Three Evo's, Harpoon 5.2, Thistle *2592, Contender and a Catalina 16.5. Interesting combination of old fast boats and new fast boats.

Fishingmickey

Bland's Finn Is fixed and I plan to sail the AERO. 

The work week is totally sucking but I haven’t given up on getting the weekend off. 

• Like 1

Well it looks like we might have a fleet of maybe ten if both the Aero and Finn join in. A Dolphin 17 has joined the fray.

Fishingmickey

• Like 1

We are all still tied for first

we are all in DFL

no one is DFLWD

• Like 2

Report from the AYC Gov's Cup:  We had great BBQ on Saturday night, great band, a lot of beer and dance.  The atmosphere this weekend was wonderful, great company from Shreveport, Fort Worth, Austin, Seguin and off course Canyon Lake.  Here is the description on the final results:  It looked like the Harpoon was to take third but the Thisel dropped in the last leg to take the Harpoon.  But then, we were somewhat behind with the Contender, when he suddenly went in for a small swim to recover nicely.  After D-pn calculation, we were all four tied in first place.  The Winner Circle was a full house.   Voila! 

• Like 1

Nothing to report Tortuga. Weather ruled the days. Thunderstorms both days.

Fishingmickey

• Like 1

Well glad I missed it, but got all boats ready, FD now has kick up rudder and assy kite,here comes spring ding!

13 hours ago, Fishingmickey said:

Nothing to report Tortuga. Weather ruled the days. Thunderstorms both days.

Fishingmickey

So nice to see the jewel Contender out again, hope to see in person soon!

The CLeWLEsS Frog will not travel to RCYC for the Spring Dinghy Fest.  We see you at Conroe Spring Flings Regatta.

• Like 1

Spring fling it is!

AND SPRING DING FOR WARM UP

So, I totally missed this thread when I posted the other one. Duh!

Attached is the NOR for the 2019 Spring Fling Regatta at Conroe Yacht Club May 4&5. Hope to see all of you there!

2019 SFR NOR.pdf

• Like 1

I asked the moderators to merge the threads... 

maybe.   If I git it right 

As of today we have 4 TCC boats registered. Mathis / Burks, Zurbuchen, McKesson and Loehlin. 

Is anyone else planning on coming? Trying to get our food squared away.

Thanks!

Mike, so sorry can't attend, broken foot is really messing with me.  On a plus side,FD is ready!

13 hours ago, lindy911 said:

As of today we have 4 TCC boats registered. Mathis / Burks, Zurbuchen, McKesson and Loehlin. 

Is anyone else planning on coming? Trying to get our food squared away.

Thanks!

Mike, I will be there with the Contender. Probably roll in semi late Friday night.

FM

lindy911

Missed you at Rush Creek. 

Won't be there. 

Great to hear, Mike. Look forward to seeing you again.

Big D, I got called out to work in Florida over the weekend and had to miss Dinghy Fest. I was signed up. See you one of these days!

Spring Fling is shaping up. Looks like more boats that we expected. Billy & Stewart Drahiem are signed up in the Sunfish class. Should be a battle extraordinaire! Looking forward to a lot of fun.

Lindy

• Like 1

I haven’t decided whether to take the laser or the AERO. 

I don’t feel competent in the AERO  in breeze yet. I am staying upright but I sure as hell am not hurrying 

• Like 1

Crump's

I have your AC here fresh from the UK. Let me know when you want to pull the trigger. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lifesave said:

Crump's

I have your AC here fresh from the UK. Let me know when you want to pull the trigger. 

Pics?

And we found another, 288 is available, just need to get here, buy 289 and we could have 4 or 5!

Guys, would a homebuilt classless boat be welcome to join you?  I love to build stuff, have never built a boat before and am looking very closely at doing a Farr 3.7.  And since that class apparently doesn't exist in the US, I won't bother getting it measured and will probably change up the deck design to more of a daysailer type thing.  I may even scale it up from 12' to 13 so it would really be a one off.   I promise I won't be competitive!   Would hopefully have the boat ready to sail next year. 

• Like 1

I would love to see you join us, the more the merrier.  I'm trying to get the better half to let me build the Dix DS15.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Cheapster said:

am looking very closely at doing a Farr 3.7. 

I raced them when I was 18. :)  

There might be one or two already in the US, plans have been sold - but that was years ago.

10 minutes ago, Bruce Hudson said:

I raced them when I was 18. :)  

There might be one or two already in the US, plans have been sold - but that was years ago.

Hey, that is very cool!  I'm not going to hold out hope of ever running into a 3.7, but can you tell me a bit about your impressions of the boat? Say compared to a Laser?  From what I've been reading the 3.7 isn't especially difficult to sail and can plane in less wind, is that right?  I'm hoping to build a bit of a hotrod but not something so high strung I end up swimming more than sailing. Being able to sail past a mid-fleet Laser from time to time would be a hoot as well.  

I recall people talking about the Laser being unstable in a blow downwind. When I moved into a Laser from the 3.7, I wanted to break out the sandwiches. 

Shorter hull length, higher aspect ratio sail equals less stability. On a broad reach and running, Lasers are faster. Upwind, 3.7s are faster, and plane upwind in 12 knots. On a close reach, 3.7s are considerably faster than Lasers. I used to go join windsurfers and reach back and forth across the harbor / lake for fun. Being on the trapeze is great. Yes, the 3.7 planes in less wind, particularly on a close reach. Not so much on a run. Sailing in gusty winds expect to swim more than in a Laser.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cheapster said:

Guys, would a homebuilt classless boat be welcome to join you?  I love to build stuff, have never built a boat before and am looking very closely at doing a Farr 3.7.  And since that class apparently doesn't exist in the US, I won't bother getting it measured and will probably change up the deck design to more of a daysailer type thing.  I may even scale it up from 12' to 13 so it would really be a one off.   I promise I won't be competitive!   Would hopefully have the boat ready to sail next year. 

See: 

• Like 2

I haven't fully settled on that Farr 3.7 yet.  I've been torturing myself looking at every possible boat, sheeze.   I saw mention of a Contender in this thread and I've read up a bit on that one. Sounds like probably a better choice for me than the Farr.   Other boats I'm looking into are the Seggerling, Impulse and Hadron H1.  Does anyone know if any of these boats exist within a couple hundred miles of Dallas/Fort Worth?

1 hour ago, Cheapster said:

I haven't fully settled on that Farr 3.7 yet.  I've been torturing myself looking at every possible boat, sheeze.   I saw mention of a Contender in this thread and I've read up a bit on that one. Sounds like probably a better choice for me than the Farr.   Other boats I'm looking into are the Seggerling, Impulse and Hadron H1.  Does anyone know if any of these boats exist within a couple hundred miles of Dallas/Fort Worth?

come get my VX Evo

Sheeeet man!  I can't afford a badass boat like that.  Besides I got the bug to build something.  Couple hundred bucks here, couple hundred bucks there when I can afford it.  Lots of my own labor to help keep the cost down and because I love that whole craftsmanship thing. 

• Like 1

PSA

Beware!! Be afraid!! The super Harpoon 5.2 owner was see n heading to AYV with @Fishingmickey and a tape measure. 

She has a trick up her sleeve, something about forestays, zebra mussels, a southern Germany linguini recipe for Wurstfest!!

Hide your small children!!! 

• Like 2