Sign in to follow this  
x-79

Best furler for code and gennaker

What is the best solution for a code and gennaker furler? 

35 feet cruiseracer. Most cruising, some racing and short handed sailing. 

I would like to have both code and gennaker hoisted and attached to bowsprit at the same time. code half way on bowsprit and gennaker on the end. 

We use a Profurl NEX furler that was supplied from North Sails for our A0 it works well with no issues and I believe they are competitively priced, it doesn’t have a locking function however. I have used Karvers which run smoothly and have a locking function but when used which a cheaper cable and unable to get enough luff tension have resulted in bad furls. I also raced with an old Harken furler on another boat and the furler had fallen to pieces. On new Lagoons we supply Facnor furlers for gennakers and we’ve had no problems reported.

23 hours ago, x-79 said:

What is the best solution for a code and gennaker furler? 

35 feet cruiseracer. Most cruising, some racing and short handed sailing. 

I would like to have both code and gennaker hoisted and attached to bowsprit at the same time. code half way on bowsprit and gennaker on the end. 

You would most likely require the FR125. the RW suffix stands for Rewind which incorporates a manually engage-able ratchet to prevent accidental unfurls. 

Are your sails designed to be a top down or bottom up furl? If it's a top down the "m" would be following the FR125.

What's your sail area?

Good:) 

The code and gennaker are originally not designed for furling. Can that be a problem?

What torsion cable is best for code and gennaker?

Code is 60-70m2. Gennaker 140m2

2 hours ago, x-79 said:

Good:) 

The code and gennaker are originally not designed for furling. Can that be a problem?

What torsion cable is best for code and gennaker?

Code is 60-70m2. Gennaker 140m2

I would talk to your sail maker on what is required, generally it's advised to remove the pressed in rings and go straight webbing which could be lashed. Also the luff length of the sail vs cable length should be considered, especially your spinnaker. The best cable (that money can buy) would be an Armare torsion cable. That is fixed both ends and can't be adjusted unlike clamped cables which is probably what you should consider. The new Gen2 Marlow Pro Drive is nice however it's cost comes close to that of an engineered stay. An alternative would be the Hapidjan cable which could be clamped or sewn as well and is high quality and is what most brands use. 

Yes, the FR125m is the correct size and model as your sails will most likely furl from the top down but again that would be a sail maker question.

On 1/2/2019 at 1:46 PM, jackolantern said:

The locking Ubi Maior furlers have been sweet recently 

Plus 1 for the Ubi Major.  I replaced a Facnor bottom up fuller with an Ubi M top down., ratcheting fuller.  It’s been real nice so far but only a few uses as yet.

We are using both Ubi Maior and Harken.  Both great products. Ubi with the locking and the Harken with double cleats on a stantions. Both require control when deploying.  Hard to say which is better as both have worked flawlessly. The only difference is the weight. Ubi is heavier. 

On 2/16/2019 at 2:20 PM, serjioko said:

Has anyone had problems with the continuous line of 8mm in ubi maior fr125?
I use marlow mgp 8mm special continuous furler but it slides in the furler.
It does not do a good job ..

https://www.marlowropes.es/product/mgp-furler-50

I'm thinking about putting 10mm but the manual says 8mm diameter line ??

Thanks

The line supplied with our UBi has worked very well.  I ordered it extra long to bring it back to a primary just in case.  Turns out we never needed to. So I made another line using Donaghy 8mm YachtMaster and that has been working great. 10mm is too large.