Sign in to follow this  
K9u20

VX One in Portsmouth Rating

Racing a VX One in some Portsmouth races when not doing One Design.  Any areas have a rating for it ?  PHRF conversion to Portsmouth puts it at about 71. 

Sanford (Florida) Sailfest a couple weeks ago had the VX One Portsmouth rated at 77.

Lake Monroe Sailing Club, Florida.

Did not sail to that rating in 4 - 8 kts of wind. Don't know if that was due to boat or sailors.

Dave Ellis

I saw that listed and it confused me. There is a PHRF to Portsmouth conversion that puts the VX One around. 71 to 72. The Viper is very close in speed and PHRF number and rates 70.4.  A 77 rating for the VX One converts to a 132 PHRF.  

True enough. But two years in a row in that regatta that VX One finished first boat for boat in the "dinghy" fleet, but last on corrected. Both years was light air. Raider last year and Buccaneer then Windmill this year prevailed.

VX won the Richmond YC (NorCal) open class midwinter recently against several Flying Dutchmen, a Seascape 18, and a Johnson 18. First to finish and first after adjusted time with a 77 rating. Not sure about the conditions, but I assume light air considering the time of year. Kelly could speak more about it, but a 132 PHRF definitely doesn't sound accurate... since that would be slower than a J/70.

Yes, that is what is confusing.  It has always been discussed and publicized that the Viper 640 and VX One are very close in speed. Most PHRF areas rate these two boats within 6 seconds of each other.  With the Portsmouth number at 70.4  for the Viper and 77 for VX One - it equates to closer to a 30 second spread.