Sign in to follow this  
RobbieB

Graphics on sails?

Working to get a sponsor logo on a Laser sail for 2019.  Anyone have any experience with this?  I'm trying to figure out what kind material and adhesive material that is not to heave, will stay on the sail, roll up with it and can be imaged digitally through a wide format printer.

Try a UV flatbed printer. You'll have to prime the image surface with acetone first. Dacron is not easy to stick to. It will last a few months to a year depending on how you treat it.

Forgot to add - if you use a white screen printing paint first as a binding layer, the UV print will last much longer and look sharper. It does add weight so consider that into the equation.

if my Dad were still alive he could answer you in infinite detail, as he was a pigments/thin film chemist. After he retired, consulted with North Sails on this very issue.  Short answer is there isn't a long lived, simple, inexpensive way to do it to an existing sail. 

2 hours ago, RobbieB said:

Working to get a sponsor logo on a Laser sail for 2019.  Anyone have any experience with this?  I'm trying to figure out what kind material and adhesive material that is not to heave, will stay on the sail, roll up with it and can be imaged digitally through a wide format printer.

Stickyback dacron works best. You can have it printed onto a white field or die cut. here are the best out there:

https://graphics.northsails.com/services-and-products/custom-graphics/upwind/

FYI - This might not pertain to your laser but sometimes logos on sails for some races in other places are forbidden.

On 1/3/2019 at 9:31 AM, RobbieB said:

Rather than going to the experts at SA, you could try local sign people. Just tell them your application, requirements, etc. It's not complicated. I got local shop to make US flags once we weren't required to buy them from whoever World sailing gave the monopoly to. Also had north sails san diego do some graphics for a finn sail.  

2 hours ago, nota said:

any one here actually getting paid by them to show their images on your boat ?

or any other interaction with them ?

I just scrolled through three years of pictures of that one sail with the old woman on it.

Seems like they only made two or three sets and unclear if they were printed over “real” sails before or they used a material that would bind better.

I seem to remember good pictures from both North and Doyle of nice graphics, that hopefully don’t weigh a fuck ton.

Sorry, this probably doesn't help but a long time ago I added graphics to a Laser sail using a projector and some fat Sharpies.  Traced an outline then filled it in.  Turned out pretty good, didn't add much weight and lasted a long time.

IMG_3988.jpg

IMG_3982.jpg