Sign in to follow this  
Chris in Santa Cruz, CA

Peaky Blinders

Also on netflix this show is really top notch. Acting, plot, set design, costumes and cinematography are surprisingly good. Tom Hardy's turn as a jewish gangster in 20's England is not to be missed but all the roles are good. Sam Neil also has an early key role which he knocks out of the park. Its got a lot of guy ritchie like feel and the music is also very originally integrated.

I agree - it's a really good show. It's also a time (post WW1) that's not taught in school, but sets up a lot of British history through the end of the 1900s  - Irish issues ( the Red Right Hand is NOT just part of the theme song), the rise of Churchill and the challenges of soldiers returned from a brutal conflict. And the good acting/sets and dialog. Even season 2 was OK. 

I’m surprised you guys can understand it without sub titles. :P

I'm waiting for the next season to be released - we binge-watched this this summer.  I assume that the set/costumes/etc are historically accurate, little stuff like the razor blades in the hat brims are pretty interesting. 

Season 4, while still better than 95% of the crap on netflix, was less engaging than the previous three.

Needs more nudity, of course.

The Missus and I both enjoyed it immensely, totally bummed when it ended. Exceptional production values, acting, and art direction. Waiting hopefully for the next season. We suggest trying out Babylon Berlin (if still available) for similar entertainment value.

7 hours ago, mad said:

I’m surprised you guys can understand it without sub titles. :P

I watch it with closed captioning on. Makes it a lot easier and less rewinding. 

Beyong that. A great show. Wish the seasons were longer. 

If you liked Peaky Blinders - "Call The Midwives" would be worth a watch as well.    Dumb question (I'm a Netflix illiterate) - how do you know whether or not more seasons of a show are forthcoming?  

44 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

hey thanks for the added suggestions for other shows folks

I would add Ms Maisel (sp?)

+1 but it is on Amazon not Netflix just fyi 

1 hour ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

If you liked Peaky Blinders - "Call The Midwives" would be worth a watch as well.    Dumb question (I'm a Netflix illiterate) - how do you know whether or not more seasons of a show are forthcoming?  

imdb.com

Just now, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

They publish Netflix plans?  Cool - thanks! 

not specifically the plans but they do list the number of seasons both completed and announced for a show.