Sign in to follow this  
Editor

what is it?

no idea 

A New star?

It's an inverted Death Star, resplendent in battleship gray primer. Duh.

The real question should be 'what's it made of' - because it could just be a shitty glass job (similar to a Sneakbox that an uncle of mine glassed so heavily that it would actually sail under at about 4 kts), but it could also be entirely cast out of lead - the ultimate 'boat anchor' if you will.

Top of a Colombian drug sub disguised as an upturned yacht....

• Like 1

A prop for a bar or so, it will be hanging I reckon.

Old olympic class star waiting for the MAACO paintjob

6 hours ago, JMOD said:

A New star?

that's what it looks like to me.

5.5m deathstar?   Yeah I know someone has figured this out, but this one is hyper cool.  Too bad they are just beautiful & not fast.  

664E6074-1024-4E3B-860A-1DB4455C7083.gif

Why is there an eye ring in the keel?

Oh, it is a light fixture for someones bar

• Like 1

Next generation Star for sailors who don't want to hike.

I don't understand how it could be a mold. How would u get it off the keel bulb?

it seems to have a deck so its not a mould. there's an eye bolt in the bottom end of the keel, if this is a boat then someone fucked it up.

It's an upside down star boat with a cover.  You can see the material as well as the deck hardware underneath.

• Like 1

eye to hang it from... holiday season just finished... it's a christmas star!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Editor said:

what-is-it-1-4-19.jpg

Yeah, we know, but what really is it?

It is a nautical guillotine.

I'me am curriousse......

Darke Starre                                                                                 :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

Seriously? I thought this was a sailing site?

Image result for star sailboat

THANK YOU

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

And I thought you were going to comment on the propriety of standing under a boat at the hoist.  In this case, it would be two for one drop.

2 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

I'm blown away by how many don't know what a Star looks like.

That's because they're pieces of shit rightly relegated to being sailed by rich old guys (or at least old guys, propped up rich older guys). 

8 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

There is something other Star looking in the feature photo..it maybe shadow and lighting....but the chine fairing into the bow looks odd and not a Star

Testing a new bow chine profile in a tunnel test is my guess. Explains the feathered edge along the bow section, the inclusion of the rudder the keel and the primer.

25 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

That's because they're pieces of shit rightly relegated to being sailed by rich
old guys (or at least really big old guys, propped up smaller rich older guys). 

AKA 6KSBs. 

42 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

That's because they're pieces of shit rightly relegated to being sailed by rich old guys (or at least old guys, propped up rich older guys). 

I'm neither rich nor old. Most def not pieces of shit either.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Team Subterfuge said:

And I thought you were going to comment on the propriety of standing under a boat at the hoist.  In this case, it would be two for one drop.

I do not remember hearing about one falling 

I have never put mine in the water without sanding something on the bottom or keel.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, VWAP said:

I do not remember hearing about one falling 

I have never put mine in the water without sanding something on the bottom or keel.

I have a (pre-digital) picture of an Etchells and of a J/24 that fell off their hoists.  Different hoists, different bodies of water.  I bet lots of people do.

1 hour ago, Deed said:

I have a (pre-digital) picture of an Etchells and of a J/24 that fell off their hoists.  Different hoists, different bodies of water.  I bet lots of people do.

I’ve personally seen two Lightnings hit with gravity storms while being hoisted. Thankfully, no one hurt in either situation because no one was under the boat. Same hoist both times, but the hoist wasn’t what failed. 

4 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

There is something other Star looking in the feature photo..it maybe shadow and lighting....but the chine fairing into the bow looks odd and not a Star

I think there's a trick of the light going on - or a piece of differently-glossy surface.  If you look carefully, you'll see the chine line just where it should be.

43 minutes ago, SailDesign said:

I think there's a trick of the light going on - or a piece of differently-glossy surface.  If you look carefully, you'll see the chine line just where it should be.

sure, but why the lifting ring on the keel?

5 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

try one race, big shot...i'll wager you don't make it to the starting line before the old guys wipe your ass....

but carry on...go have a starbucks and check your tinder account..

and if you can get your face out of your IM screen for 20 seconds, go check out the dudes who just won the SSL...not old, not rich, and very talented young sailors.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Deed said:

You should buy a boat you can afford to maintain properly.

5 hours ago, gmacon said:

And we know its a Folli Star with ramps for the shrouds...

Good call... we used something just like this, complete with keel eye, to weigh in at the Worlds this year...

9 hours ago, yikes said:

try one race, big shot...i'll wager you don't make it to the starting line before the old guys wipe your ass....

but carry on...go have a starbucks and check your tinder account..

and if you can get your face out of your IM screen for 20 seconds, go check out the dudes who just won the SSL...not old, not rich, and very talented young sailors.

The Star was designed two years after the model T Ford. I probably couldn’t drive one of those either. That doesn’t make them relevant.

B1CA6C53-330C-4EFC-9EF2-E5B9703F6507.jpeg

• Like 1

A scale model (proof of concept) of a new super yacht for a Russian oligarch - that torpedo looking thingie on top was supposed to be the owners lounge.  Still trying to figure out what the structure is behind the owner’s lounge?  Starck design?

Super yacht anarchy!

18 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

They might be giants? Or it’s a 3/4 size Star.

20 hours ago, Team Subterfuge said:

I was right next to an Etchells at DIYC, that had the strap break, and it dropped into the water cracking the hull around the keel and rudder.  The bottom of the keel was a foot above the water, when it let go.  Rarely do I stand under a boat at the crane hoist any more. 

3 hours ago, Amati said:

They might be giants? Or it’s a 3/4 size Star.

The angle make is look smaller than real.

5 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

The Star was designed two years after the model T Ford. I probably couldn’t drive one of those either. That doesn’t make them relevant.

Hey duke, the original Star has nothing to do with the current design. Until you've gotten your ass on the starting line for a Star regatta, we will take your comments with a grain of salt. In the meantime go sail your phrf shitbox and pretend you're big shit.

• Like 2

Star hull with a padded cover for shipping it acrosss continents? The ring  on the keel is for the zipper. 

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

The angle make is look smaller than real.

Pretty cool optical illusion

16 hours ago, VWAP said:

Yup. Used to sail occasionally on a poorly maintained j-24. Last year the lifting ring blew out and boat hit the bulkhead and damaged the keel. Good thing no one was under there. A well maintained and inspected boat should pose no similar problem.

7 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Different rig, etc these days. 

Sorry to hear you are too old to drive. Do you still have your  original Model T stored somewhere ?

Had a star regatta at TRYC this summer. Beautiful, sleek boats. Fast in light air. Not body hiked like Lowell North and the old guard sailed. 

Definitely a folli with a weird chine (gmacon is right about the shroud ramps). You can also see the hardware fore aft backstays. Maybe an old proof of concept before finalizing the pstar? easier to work on the bottom when its upside down.

no mention of upside down boats in the development unfortunately
https://starclass.org/news/article/seahorse-magazine-article-upping-the-stakes

Any idea where in the world this is?

10 minutes ago, A Boy Named Stu said:

Definitely a folli with a weird chine (gmacon is right about the shroud ramps). You can also see the hardware fore aft backstays. Maybe an old proof of concept before finalizing the pstar? easier to work on the bottom when its upside down.

no mention of upside down boats in the development unfortunately
https://starclass.org/news/article/seahorse-magazine-article-upping-the-stakes

Any idea where in the world this is?

When I expand the pic to full screen, it appears to reveal some of the deck fittings, although I can't make out the aforementioned backstay hardware..

Lost in the past but, anyone got the story on DC camping out at the Mader factory for a month and keeping an eye on his new boat build for ‘71 Worlds?  (Won with 5 bullets - record that will never be beat. )  Talk about going all-in on a fast boat.  

Details in the ‘development’ article posted above shed interesting light on how central to modern design were Skip Etchell’s  boats.  Wasn’t aware that Joe Duplin got the OG molds when he started building.

Who are the current builders/racers?   I don’t know of any myself.

6 hours ago, VWAP said:

Different rig, etc these days. 

Sorry to hear you are too old to drive. Do you still have your  original Model T stored somewhere ?

Ha! Nice call. 

8 hours ago, Plumber said:

Hey duke, the original Star has nothing to do with the current design. Until you've gotten your ass on the starting line for a Star regatta, we will take your comments with a grain of salt. In the meantime go sail your phrf shitbox and pretend you're big shit.

You’re right, they really look like they’ve come on a lot. Truely stretching the boundaries of design. 

78B91299-80E0-47AE-8BEC-4F51A37F5433.jpeg

4 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Lost in the past but, anyone got the story on DC camping out at the Mader factory for a month and keeping an eye on his new boat build for ‘71 Worlds?  (Won with 5 bullets - record that will never be beat. )  Talk about going all-in on a fast boat.  

Details in the ‘development’ article posted above shed interesting light on how central to modern design were Skip Etchell’s  boats.  Wasn’t aware that Joe Duplin got the OG molds when he started building.

Who are the current builders/racers?   I don’t know of any myself.

Great Story on DC.  Legendary really.

One example of how cool the Star class is, I have my name on the same trophy that bears the name of Connors, Etchells, Reynolds just to name a few. 

Current Builders: Lillia, Folli, Mader and North American Sailing Center/PStar.

Current Racers:  The list is too long for me to bother posting, but you can start here https://starclass.org/news/all

35 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

One example of how cool the Star class is, I have my name on the same trophy that bears the name of Connors, Etchells, Reynolds just to name a few. 

Current Racers:  The list is too long for me to bother posting, but you can start here https://starclass.org/news/all

The Pstar moulds have been shipped to sweden. The first one came out of the mould early december.

6 hours ago, billy backstay said:

When I expand the pic to full screen, it appears to reveal some of the deck fittings, although I can't make out the aforementioned backstay hardware..

Looks like double cam cleats in the right spot? Tough to tell though.

image.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 8.11.25 PM.png

1 hour ago, Hitchhiker said:

Cool stuff Hitchhiker.  

I was so overwhelmed by being called to the stage for a trophy nod down on LIS that I left the stage taking said trophy with me.  They laughed...thankfully.

Ironic isn’t it that SSL moves ahead and shows what cracking good competition Star regattas can be, while at same time World Sailing/Olympics stumbling around for relevancy?  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, billy backstay said:

I was right next to an Etchells at DIYC, that had the strap break, and it dropped into the water cracking the hull around the keel and rudder.  The bottom of the keel was a foot above the water, when it let go.  Rarely do I stand under a boat at the crane hoist any more. 

That happened to me with an Etchells at Shelter Island.  The aft strap let go just as the boat made it over trailer.  The boat was fine but people stood around staring until I started yelling that we needed to get the boat off the hoist entirely, not stare at it hanging by one.

I also watched a Shields drop off the lift at Sail Newport...long drop and a scary one with the size of that boat.

2 hours ago, A Boy Named Stu said:

The Pstar moulds have been shipped to sweden. The first one came out of the mould early december.

This was my guess.  That this is the first new PStar out of the molds with Sune Carlsson in Sweden.  You're looking at a nearly finished boat that's almost ready to be sprayed with Awlgrip.

On 1/4/2019 at 7:13 PM, VWAP said:

funny guy, Venus.  Thankfully neither boat was mine!

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 12:13 PM, Snaggletooth said:

I'me am curriousse......

Darke Starre                                                                                 :)

Woake up thisse morning with thisse playing in my heade!                   :)

2 hours ago, Purple Headed Warrior said:

Have we decided what this is yet? Have we been given a firm answer?

Yes, it's an upside down Star boat hull......

On 1/4/2019 at 8:22 PM, Hitchhiker said:

I'm neither rich nor old. Most def not pieces of shit either.  

That is all very relative. Only because you want more money does not mean you are not rich. And so on...