Sign in to follow this  
dcx

Partial keel hoist needed --- Rocket 22

R22 #15 lives here on the southwest coast of Florida.  To reliably and predictably get into home channel, the keel needs to come up about 2 feet or so. (I hear they are thinking of deepening the channel, around 2100AD, but even that does not last long.)  I have all sorts of ways to raise the keel, part or all the way, but the various methods, differ significantly in weight and complexity of set up.  The absolute easiest, lightest, and least complicated would be to have the hard lifting point be the boom. Does anyone know if the rather substantial carbon boom on the boat would probably handle 800 lbs at 2 feet from the gooseneck; and / or has it ever been tried?  Sorry if the question has been asked somewhere over the course of history; I tried multiple searches but with no results.Thanks.

eIMG_0155 (1) (1).jpg

Can you lift it with a block and tackle (like the mainsheet) attached to the main halyard? Or, if the lift is attached to the boom as you suggest, can the main halyard be attached on the opposing side to spread the load? (Or a line around the mast and spreaders)

Does the boat have a vang? Then I would attach the keel hoist to where the vang connects to the boom.

Think of 4 200 lb. crew standing on the boom, it seems like that would break it.

Why not a shorter version of this, increase the purchase and set it up to pull up from the bottom block to raise the board.

picrocket22100f.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the ideas above.  I have some either in place or can rig. Also I have my own system which uses an electric winch. Involve a fair bit of set up both going in and out, some of it in rather choppy water,.  So I was scratching my head looking for a way with minimal set up and take down, hence the curiosity about whether the boom itself could be used as the hard point.  However, the opinion so far is not optimistic about that.   Thanks, however.  

On 1/6/2019 at 3:11 AM, See Level said:

Think of 4 200 lb. crew standing on the boom, it seems like that would break it.

Why not a shorter version of this, increase the purchase and set it up to pull up from the bottom block to raise the board.

picrocket22100f.jpg

I’ve seen permanent systems like this fitted to boats that are adjustable so they can still be used when Sailing to life the keel part way up, but not all of the way.

What you do is either put the keel all the way back down or pin it in place and then adjust it to suit if pulling the keel all the way up. This way when racing in shallow waters you can still raze the keel if needed part way.

pulpit

On 1/5/2019 at 12:03 AM, Varan said:

Can you lift it with a block and tackle (like the mainsheet) attached to the main halyard? Or, if the lift is attached to the boom as you suggest, can the main halyard be attached on the opposing side to spread the load? (Or a line around the mast and spreaders)

I was wondering about the main halyard as well, coupled with an extension on the outhaul to pull back on the halyard so that it lifts the keel vertically. (Think of it as a barber hauler for the halyard)

Will the cabin top take the weight?  My Hot Foot 20 has a simple box that sits on the cabin top when needed. The keel weight is only 400 lbs but my cabin top handles the weight no problem.

I also owned a B 25. The Bs cabin top  handled the 800 lb keel weight no problem

If you were confident in your cabin top simply straddel the top above the keel with a piece of heavy 2 to 4  inch aluminum channel with a winch attached. Cut a small hole in the channel to drop a piece of amsteel winch line through. The whole set up with winch might weigh 10 lbs.

6 hours ago, JimB said:

Will the cabin top take the weight?  My Hot Foot 20 has a simple box that sits on the cabin top when needed. The keel weight is only 400 lbs but my cabin top handles the weight no problem.

I also owned a B 25. The Bs cabin top  handled the 800 lb keel weight no problem

If you were confident in your cabin top simply straddel the top above the keel with a piece of heavy 2 to 4  inch aluminum channel with a winch attached. Cut a small hole in the channel to drop a piece of amsteel winch line through. The whole set up with winch might weigh 10 lbs.

Red Deer Alberta?  Where in the great Northwest heaven did you sail that B25 prairie schooner?  Google maps shows you nearest "body" of significant water 1,000 or more klicks in any direction.

11 hours ago, JimBowie said:

Red Deer Alberta?  Where in the great Northwest heaven did you sail that B25 prairie schooner?  Google maps shows you nearest "body" of significant water 1,000 or more klicks in any direction.

I sail and race on Sylvan Lake Alberta. Sylvan is 12 miles east of Red Deer half way between Edmonton and Calgary. The lake is 10 miles long and  1.5 miles wide at the widest.

The Sylvan Lake sailing Club was  established in the mid 80s. At our peak we had 35 member boats and 100 plus members. Wed nites would often see 20 plus boats spread over 3 fleets. Our biggest regatta saw 45 boats with 20 plus boats on the line for our fast fleet. Our fast fleet was comprised of Martin 242s, B25s, J 24s, S2 7.9s, Hot Foot 20, Olson 25.

Unfortunately we are just a shadow of our former self now as we are down to just 13 club boats, just the old die hards left. Racing is still good though as we die hards are ultra competitive between ourselves. 

9 hours ago, JimB said:

I sail and race on Sylvan Lake Alberta. Sylvan is 12 miles east of Red Deer half way between Edmonton and Calgary. The lake is 10 miles long and  1.5 miles wide at the widest.

The Sylvan Lake sailing Club was  established in the mid 80s. At our peak we had 35 member boats and 100 plus members. Wed nites would often see 20 plus boats spread over 3 fleets. Our biggest regatta saw 45 boats with 20 plus boats on the line for our fast fleet. Our fast fleet was comprised of Martin 242s, B25s, J 24s, S2 7.9s, Hot Foot 20, Olson 25.

Unfortunately we are just a shadow of our former self now as we are down to just 13 club boats, just the old die hards left. Racing is still good though as we die hards are ultra competitive between ourselves. 

Any hot foot 20's still racing. Raced a U20 once in Montana against other U20s and some Canadian hot foots. Essentially the same boat, but one with a sym kite, the other asym. It was really fun. Depending on wind angle/velocity, one would be slightly advantaged. Made for a fun couple of days. Hardest part was keeping up at the parties. Y'all sure can party.

I am the only one in Alberta still racing as far as I know. I currently own a Hot Foot named VooDoo. The previous owner has raced it on Flathead Lake. My previous Hot Foot was Gonzo and I raced it on Flathead once for sure.