Sign in to follow this  
animeproblem

Street Racing Anarchy

I'll start it off, 1st time behind the wheel of my old buddy's 68 Charger RT (440 four barrel & 727 Torqueflyte automatic) dicing with a couple of girls in a Trans AM, on the first try I got it wrong & bogged down the 440, however in the process got a nice cloud of black smoke from the Pontiac, next light (this happening on Hi Way 99) got it right & killed it! (Circa 1978)

Driving my Mom’s ‘70 Buick Skylark (350/350) and decided racing a friend would be a good idea. Nailed by the cops for street racing. 12 points on my license. About 2 hours later, did it again. Same result. This time I was in the left lane, so the cop added”Failure to keep right of center”. 

27 points in one night. No license for a year. 

Never raced again. 

Here's a street racing story. I have seen this outcome on many more than one occasion.

Unfortunately if only the racers were killed or maimed it wouldn't be as bad.....but often innocent folks just going about their business are killed. If you are curious....I do have strong feelings about this having seen much needless death and suffering.

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/354893663-video

• Like 2

There is a reason why they have race tracks...   As a kid, I saved all my weekly stupidity for the motocross track....  seemed to have worked better for me.

I hate it when people fly by me while I'm on the freeway the they are on a motorcycle and pop a wheelie.  I know of one crash where the bike went over the wall and into the windshield of opposing traffic.

That being said, I put my son a dirt bike when he was 10.  He has to take care of my granddaughter now.  He sold his last bike.  When she gets to college, I expect he'll be riding on two wheels again.

9 hours ago, animeproblem said:

I'll start it off, 1st time behind the wheel of my old buddy's 68 Charger RT (440 four barrel & 727 Torqueflyte automatic) dicing with a couple of girls in a Trans AM, on the first try I got it wrong & bogged down the 440, however in the process got a nice cloud of black smoke from the Pontiac, next light (this happening on Hi Way 99) got it right & killed it! (Circa 1978)

Fuck you are stoopid

9 hours ago, animeproblem said:

I'll start it off, 1st time behind the wheel of my old buddy's 68 Charger RT (440 four barrel & 727 Torqueflyte automatic) dicing with a couple of girls in a Trans AM, on the first try I got it wrong & bogged down the 440, however in the process got a nice cloud of black smoke from the Pontiac, next light (this happening on Hi Way 99) got it right & killed it! (Circa 1978)

I bet it had headers and Isky cams too! Such beautiful memories that engine conjures.

My own street racing was limited to a straight 6 in my old Camaro with a manual three. I couldn't best any bigger vehicle on power, but I could rev it to 3000 or so and pop the clutch to give me a little edge ... I burned through a lot of clutch plates.

One memory, a co-worker's Chevy Nova with the 350 getting beat by a VW Rabbit. Those little Rabbits were decent drag racers in the right hands!

34 minutes ago, mikewof said:

I bet it had headers and Isky cams too! Such beautiful memories that engine conjures.

My own street racing was limited to a straight 6 in my old Camaro with a manual three. I couldn't best any bigger vehicle on power, but I could rev it to 3000 or so and pop the clutch to give me a little edge ... I burned through a lot of clutch plates.

One memory, a co-worker's Chevy Nova with the 350 getting beat by a VW Rabbit. Those little Rabbits were decent drag racers in the right hands!

You were born in 1967, the muscle car era didn't last much longer than those years, it was definitely over by the mid '70s.  I think you have a healthy fantasy life.

• Like 1

Street racing past second gear was (is) just stupid. I "raced" a friends T/A 455 H.O. to Whistler for the weekend once - 75 miles each way and overnight up there.

Took 2 1/2 tanks of gas. :blink:

21 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

You were born in 1967, the muscle car era didn't last much longer than those years, it was definitely over by the mid '70s.  I think you have a healthy fantasy life.

Whatever gave you that idea? :P:lol:

1 hour ago, mad said:

I don't know, just a feeling I guess.   :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Well that's a bit judgmental.  l had a 1969 Charger 383 Magnum in 1977 when I was 17.  That my fantasy life too?  In my world, muscle cars were still a thing well in the late 70's when I was still paying attention.  I am sure for many it was never over. 

The adults tried to keep us from driving stupid, it didn't help for several of my high school and college classmates.

Mine?   1970 340 Duster.

37 minutes ago, See Level said:

The adults tried to keep us from driving stupid, it didn't help for several of my high school and college classmates.

Mine?   1970 340 Duster.

Yeah, we were required to watch that as well. The other one was “Death on the Highway”. Can’t really say it had no affect.....but it had no lasting affect. Yoots all think they’re gonna be fine....I did. We participate in the MADD “Every 15 Minutes” high school program every year just before proms. Seems to help if timed right as it sits in their short term memory...esp. the girls. I can tell you I used to dread prom nights, I got real tired of cutting bloody prom dresses off of dying children. 

Yeah, while its a thread killer, I gotta agree with PB here. There is nothing cool or glamorous about putting your life and the lives of others at risk for a little high octane adrenaline. Take it to the track.

While I understand the premise of reminiscing about surviving the "glory days", I spent way too many nights up to my elbows in blood and guts of people who had their lives cut short by absorbing too much kinetic energy.

WL

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sail69 said:

Well that's a bit judgmental.  l had a 1969 Charger 383 Magnum in 1977 when I was 17.  That my fantasy life too?  In my world, muscle cars were still a thing well in the late 70's when I was still paying attention.  I am sure for many it was never over. 

You must be new here.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

You have no idea what you're writing.

In the late 1970s and early 1980s, all the rusty American muscle cars from the early 1970s were usually the cheapest vehicles on the lots. I used to work for $2/hour back when minimum wage was $3.65/hour, because the State loophole said that they didn't need to pay 14 year olds minimum wage if they worked less than full time. And I still managed to save up enough to buy a '74 Camaro with some rust.

The kids with money didn't want used American muscle cars, they wanted European cars. The muscle cars were usually the cheapest entry to driving, and then we could buy the upgrades piecemeal. You would buy a basic American car and the gradually upgrade it with headers, cams, maybe nitrous, and even a blower if you really came into some cash.

But one thing that is curious ... how did you know what year I was born? Are you one of those internet stalkers?

13 hours ago, sail69 said:

Yeah, there were some big-ticket muscle cars, like the Mach 1 and some others. But the general cheapness of used American muscle cars after the gasoline shock was clear ... and they seemed to universally rust. Plymouth Road Runners could be had for $2k if you didn't mind the rust and the cracked dash, and the torn upholstery. AMC Javelin, and a bunch of others, same thing. And retired State Trooper patrol cars were the best deals of all, my uncle used to buy those old Matador cruisers with the 6 mpg 401 c.i. engines for $250 from the police auctions. 

I didn't necessarily want an old American pseudo muscle car, I would have rather had something newer with a little four-banger, but the muscle cars were cheap, people didn't want to pay for the gas. And the big cars weren't necessarily even winning races. The cars that I remember that would end up smoking the rest out at Bandimere were the little Chevy Vegas with the 350 V8s somehow squeezed into those engine bays.

15 hours ago, mad said:

He probably got the idea when he was banging your mom, the lovely lady does tend to lend some inspiration ... oh wait, that was me.

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

He probably got the idea when he was banging your mom, the lovely lady does tend to lend some inspiration ... oh wait, that was me.

You got banged by Ed. Over the bonnet or in the back seat? 

Ed, did you really turn down Mad’s mum for a piece of the Wolfsy? 

Was he supercharged and running on nitrous? How was his blower running? 

Hope he wasn’t full of shit...

6 hours ago, White Lightnin' said:

Yeah, while its a thread killer, I gotta agree with PB here. There is nothing cool or glamorous about putting your life and the lives of others at risk for a little high octane adrenaline. Take it to the track.

While I understand the premise of reminiscing about surviving the "glory days", I spent way too many nights up to my elbows in blood and guts of people who had their lives cut short by absorbing too much kinetic energy.

WL

Have to agree. And having been on the receiving end of the help I would like to thank all those that have to deal with this stuff on a regular occasion. 

You have my thanks and well wishes to you and your families. 

6 hours ago, White Lightnin' said:

Take it to the track.

hear hear .

any fool can go fast in a straight line , 'tis the corners that sort the men from the boys .

5 hours ago, VOA said:

Mikewof is an inveterate liar. He makes a whole lot of shit up. 

He is the Walter Mitty on these boards. 

He wasn't even addressing you or me, he was discussing his ride. Your intoxication with all things mikewof is starting to rear its ugly little head again.

Weren't you in recovery? What happened to you?

8 hours ago, Gissie said:

You got banged by Ed. Over the bonnet or in the back seat? 

Ed, did you really turn down Mad’s mum for a piece of the Wolfsy? 

Was he supercharged and running on nitrous? How was his blower running? 

Hope he wasn’t full of shit...

Yes.

11 hours ago, mikewof said:

retired State Trooper patrol cars were the best deals of all, my uncle used to buy those old Matador cruisers with the 6 mpg 401 c.i. engines for $250 from the police auctions.

Complete with cop tires, cop shocks, cop suspension and ran good on regular gas. :D

On 1/5/2019 at 9:19 AM, mikewof said:

Aye, headers other upgrades, the car's owner Frank was keen on the strip scene, as it would happen he was actually off at UTI learning more about the motor car biz, on that evening it was his younger brother Rudy & myself on that cruise, weirdly Frank sort of found out he didn't really enjoy working on cars while at UTI!

In the same time frame the only performance ride I had available was my step dad's 73 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 & considering that in that model year if you wanted a manual trans the largest engine choice you could have was the 360, considerable upgrades were performed on that mill! Headers, off road profile cam, Edelbrock in take, massive Holley four barrel, along those lines.

So one night I'm cruising up 15th NE, stopped at a light & another truck pulls up in the right lane, another Ford a year earlier & 2 wheel drive, well he wants a go & go we do! Damn! I loved that truck, one of the neat things about it was the Husky overdrive, it basically split that 4 speed into an eight speed & in the 2nd & over, third & under & third & over ratios it would flat move! However the older truck did just nip the win before we had to slow down for the next light. When we stopped I looked over & noted that the driver was in fact my former High School metal shop teacher.    

13 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Complete with cop tires, cop shocks, cop suspension and ran good on regular gas. :D

The giveaway was that little hole through the front pillar between the windshield and driver's window. That was where the pointable spotlight was installed. For some reason, all surplused cop cars had that hole.

I remember when the Colorado State Troopers finally added the Mustang 5.0 to their lineup to catch highway speeders. I think they were pulling something like 16 second quarter miles. They weren't even in the same area code as a typical high schooler's cheap ass muscle car.