Sign in to follow this  
RJC

cost difference between J24 and J27

Hello, I like the J24 and J27 but wondering what the cost difference would be not counting the initial cost to buy but the yearly cost between the two.  I would use it more for fun and race occasionally but would also like to be able to sleep on it as I am 2 hours from the bay.  Any advice would be helpful.  

This is a guess.....10k up front and maybe 1k yr in addl maintenance....

One thing that might be useful to get a good answer would be to fill in a few of the blanks.  For example, are you a member of a YC with a hoist?  If so does either boat fit within the capacity of a said hoist.  Does the club have a gin pole?  Do both boats comes with trailers?  Does your tow vehicle have the capacity the pull both boats if they have trailers?  Where is the boat being kept in season, dry sailed at at YC, at a dock, or on a mooring.   So a J24 that is keep at a YC/drysailed during season, trailered home in the winter is going to be a very different figure than a J27 which came with a cradle, has a slip and spends the winter on a cradle.  Of course there are large regional variations in price too depending on where you sail/store the boat.  Provide some additional info and am sure the SA community will respond.

All other things being equal, the 27 will want a jib, a light and medium 155 Genoa, a good main, and a light and medium or reacher and runner spin. All are bigger and more expensive than the 24 sails.  If you buy wisely and figure to replace one a year, you’ll be running 3-4 k on sails. Bottom paint is marginally more for the 27, but not much. General maintenance, similarly.  The 27 is a far more comfortable boat.

Hello, let me give you more info.  I would like to purchase a boat but do not have one yet and investigating the price difference since I am on a budget and want to make the right choice.  So at this I am not at a marina so don't have those costs.  i don't have a vehicle that could pull a boat at all. If it is not a Jboat which I like I wanted to compare costs between the two size boats whatever type it is for example is there a big difference in a 24 foot versus 26 or 27 foot. I understand that you pay the slip fee if kept in a slip by the foot and insurance I guess that depends on the boat and its value.  Maintenance probably would depend on the condition of the boat.  I would like to have the ability to single hand the sailboat as my son now is engaged and has his mind on other things so I would still like to be able to sail. I am located in Harrisburg PA and would keep the boat on the Northern part of the Chesapeake either close to Annapolis or the Eastern Shore of Maryland.  thanks in advance for your advice.  If I missed something please come back.  Rich 

Used sails more available for J/24, J/27 a LOT faster. just get quotes from your loft on sails. Rest of ther boats, J/27 has double spread3r resilient mast and may be newer than the 24. I thnk bioth just as susceptible to balsa core rot.

If cruising go verywhere with the 27 using blade, plus get a companionway race dodger for more room below, there is a hug e difference in "livability" between the boats, J/24 is coffin cruising....

As to costs if you already know the difference on slip and haul out and sail costs, very little difference other than those.

I've owned, raced and done long weekend cruises on both boats. Both are good boats and easy to work on. New sails are probably about 15-20% more on the 27 when comparing same materials just due to size difference. Good quality used sails available for both boats. Larger quantity for the 24 as there are a lot more boats.

If you had to buy a trailer, the 27 will be more as it needs dual axle. You can use single axle on the 24.  So maybe about $800 additional on a used trailer. If in a slip, chances are the cost would be the same. A common small slip is about 28'. You pay for which ever is greater, the size of the boat or the slip.

General maintenance is about the same. Cost of materials could be slightly higher on the 27 but not by much.

It did not sound like racing was real high on the priority. If one design racing there are more opportunities with the 24. If PHRF racing the 27 is the better option.

Single handed sailing, both boats are easy to handle and no real difference on difficulty.

Spending the night on board, 27 is much better.

Daysailing, comfort and taking out more people the 27 wins. The real cockpit on the 27 makes novices much more confident.

Fun factor, (if not one design racing) the 27 is far more fun. There are some opportunities for one design sailing the 27. (Canada and New Orleans). I liked the 27 far more than the 24. Smiles per mile the 27 wins.

Thank you for your insight. You are right that racing is not at the top but might be on occasional thing but i think they would both be fast fun boats.  I think you are right if I can handle both boats when the family might want to go out the 27 would have more room.  I am 2 hours away so I would want a boat I could at least sleep on.  The J27 it seems are about twice as expensive but you get more boat.  It is the initial investment.  Thank you for your comments I appreciate it.  If you think of anything please come back.  Rich

I currently own a J24 in addition to owning other boats of various sizes including a J35 in the past.  As I have not owned the 27 I can't comment on it specifically but can make some general comments.  The 24 is a great boat, I use it primarily for day sailing but have also done a little racing with it an taken it to the Florida keys cruise for a week which was fun.

So as a general statement you could probably buy a nice J24 for 10k ish.  15-18k for a nice example of the 27.  Any bigger boat like the 27 is going to be more roomy, faster, etc, but also cost more, so what trade offs you are willing to make in terms of dollars spent both initially and in yearly costs is a completely individual decision.  Many "maintenance" costs will likely depend on what type of condition the boat is in when you purchase it and the age/condition of the equipment/sails. So as mentioned earlier there is not a big difference in how much wax it takes to do the hull on the 24 vs the 27 or how much additional bottom paint would be required.  The statement  "A common small slip is about 28'. You pay for which ever is greater, the size of the boat or the slip" may be true in Cali, but is not true in this neck of the woods, not sure what is prevalent in the Chesapeake bay where you want to use the boat. What is common here is that the boat has to fit into the slip and you are charged by whatever the going rate for the slip is.  Transient dockage many times is done by the foot  but again YMMV depending on locale.  In my area to own a boat of that size which was kept at a yard in winter, stayed at a dock in the summer you might be talking 2-4k ish annually depending on how nice a marina/amenities are for dockage (pool, clubhouse, etc). Also bear in mind I think production numbers for the 24 are around 5500 hulls and I think around 250-300ish for the 27 so given the cost to transport boat to you and investigate potential sale leads there is a greater chance that you may find a 24 more local/less expensive.  Common sense dictates that large cost items such as sails, outboard motor and electronics should be examined carefully as paying more upfront when the boat is purchased could actually be cheaper down the road than buying a new O/B, sails, etc.  Finally you may wish to get the boat surveyed by a competent marine surveyor which can be pretty useful, but do keep in mind "being reasonable"  when you go to look at a project J24 for 2.5 k and the yard might want 3k to fix some coring/structural issues the survey uncovered, that the seller is pretty unlikely to reduce the price another 3k/pay you $500 to take the boat off their hands.

Sorry for the lengthy post, enjoy shopping that is certainly a fun part of the process and keep us posted with additional questions or how the process turns out for you.

@last makes some good points. Especially on the initial cost. The 27 will be more expensive than the 24 unless you are looking at a 24 above hull number 5000. Those boats in general are very pricey. 

Sorry if slip rate was confusing and my example may be a regional thing. In general storage whether in a slip or dry storage will be greater for the 27 as it is 3 feet larger. 

Also in general, most items will be slightly more as it is a little bit bigger. But it will be minor, not like comparing a 24 to a 35.

Up to each individual to decide which boat is ultimately best. For me both were great. I enjoyed one design racing with the 24 and local PHRF racing was a blast in the 27. After years of owning both boats, the 27 was more fun and versatile (IMHO). 

Honestly SM having owned both is super qualified to answer this question having owned both boats so take his advice to heed. Spend time shopping and let us know how it turns out.

1. Harrisburg, PA:   You poor bastard.   ( I grew up in Colonial Hills, went to McDevitt )

2. At this age the CONDITION of the actual boat in question will be a MUCH larger factor in the relative value of the boats in question than anything else.  Unless and until you have actual candidates for purchase right there in front of you,  this is all pretty much pissing in the wind.

3. No offense,  but you really don't sound like you are ready to own a keelboat in a remote location just yet - have you considered subscribing to a fractional ownership program ?   You might just get a lot more sailing in for the same or less money with a LOT fewer headaches.   We  (American males) have a pattern of wanting to purchase/own every toy that we play with,  when - in reality if you divide the time used versus the funds and effort expended,  owning a liability like a sailboat makes as much sense as building a space shuttle in the backyard.

I own a J/27, I also race it so you could budget less if just cruising and do need to replace the consumables as frequently as I do.

Purchase Price: $10,500 to 15,000

Winter haul out, storage and launch: $510.00

Slip Fee: $1,400 not including yacht club dues

Racing Memberships: $225 (PHRF and Local Sailing Club)

Sails: $2,500 to 3,000

Misc. annual maintenance: $500

Insurance: $412.00

So putting on my flame suit and asking exactly what is comfortable about a J24?  The 22 and 27 much easier to sail and comfortable.

AS MUCH AS I HATE TO SAY IT A J 24 WOULD BE THE WAY TO GO.UNLESS YOUR ARE 6'5" LIKE I AM

I really couldn’t see owning a J/24 outside of OD racing.  Indeed it’s a competent PHRF boat, but so is the 27 and the cockpit of the 27 is much better suited for day sailing.   

Don't miss the three J27's in Anarchy Classifieds. All located in the Northeast.

Thank you all--unfortunately I do live 2 hours away from the Bay but don't mind the drive. I appreciate the cost factors and estimates.  It looks like an annual outlay could be around $5,000 depending on sail replacement.  If not it could be much less.  I will look at both sizes when I am ready.  Thank you all I really appreciate the knowledge base.  Many many thanks Rich

Hi,

I know many people who own J24s and J27s, neither are in my budget right now. J24s run between 2K to around 15k for a perfect turn key racer, J27s start around 15k but can go over 20 depending on how their equipped. If you are planing on sleeping on the boat and cruising occasionally get a J30, you won’t regret it.

On 1/8/2019 at 1:15 PM, d'ranger said:

So putting on my flame suit and asking exactly what is comfortable about a J24?  The 22 and 27 much easier to sail and comfortable.

J24 is the most uncomfortable boat I have ever been on. You cannot sit down in cockpit with having a cleat up you ass. I am putting on flame retardant suit too. 

On 1/8/2019 at 1:15 PM, d'ranger said:

You sound like you are not a racing boat guy huh, I got some news for you, I have had and still sail a JY15 and a J92 and would have a 24 over both  boats, not only has the 92 been beaten countless times by 24s, they are much more comfortable, don’t understand 22s, more expensive than 24s and slower, without such a large following. The 27 is another solid boat, but not worth the cost over the equally fun 24. If you like Mazda Miatas, buy the 24, if you like Honda S2000s buy the 27, if you like Camaros and Mustangs buy the 30.

3 minutes ago, HuronBouy said:

J24 is the most uncomfortable boat I have ever been on. You cannot sit down in cockpit with having a cleat up you ass. I am putting on flame retardant suit too. 

You too huh, no wonder the J24s class is in a downward spiral...