Sign in to follow this  
Mid

res·to·ra·tion

res·to·ra·tion
/ˌrestəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun

1. 1.
    the action of returning something to a former owner, place, or condition.

• Like 2

Showed this to my wife

.She said it would be easier to just run off with the pool boy than polish and remake my missing shaft. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mid said:
res·to·ra·tion
/ˌrestəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun

1. 1.
    the action of returning something to a former owner, place, or condition.

actually it is a verb....

well both the American and English dictionaries disagree with you .

3 minutes ago, Mid said:

well both the American and English dictionaries disagree with you .

you are a literal idiot

• Like 1

Restore is the verb.......

I'm going out to the shed to restoration that piece of crap that needs a restoration.

Likely illiterate American quote.

• Like 2

I have a restoration(n). The restoration (v) was tedious. 

2018-01-30 19.50.38.1.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, warbird said:

I have a restoration(n). The restoration (v) was tedious. 

2018-01-30 19.50.38.1.jpg

.... ..- -- --- .-.

8 hours ago, Mid said:

That was magnificent. Who cares if it took 97 hours of labor.

Shame on you mutts for turning this into petty shitfight :mellow:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gissie said:

Showed this to my wife

.She said it would be easier to just run off with the pool boy than polish and remake my missing shaft. 

You have a pool boy?

meticulous adjective

me·tic·u·lous | \mə-ˈti-kyə-ləs \

Definition of meticulous 

: marked by extreme or excessive care in the consideration or treatment of details

a meticulous researcher

1 hour ago, chester said:

You have a pool boy?

It seems we do. Not sure what he does as we have no pool. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gissie said:

It seems we do. Not sure what he does as we have no pool. 

I'll bet your wife knows...:D

• Like 1

Very cool, I have brought back hand tools with PB Blaster, wire brushing etc but nothing on that level. It's inspiring.  On another note: How may grammar nazis does it take to start an argument?

Too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Very cool, I have brought back hand tools with PB Blaster, wire brushing etc but nothing on that level. It's inspiring.  On another note: How may grammar nazis does it take to start an argument?

Too.

My comment was not grammatical... it was humorous, as in anyone involved with “restoration “ understands it is verb....it went over Mid’s anal brain because of his triggered life in PA ...

Funny....I love woodworking.....I can hardly tolerate sanding. Same with a project like this.....I love to fix things....but all that grinding/sanding. 

2 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

My comment was not grammatical... it was humorous, as in anyone involved with “restoration “ understands it is verb....it went over Mid’s anal brain because of his triggered life in PA ...

lighten up Francis - the most common definition is noun.  And the thing about humor is it has to be obvious, the literal one was funny but you started with stating it was not a noun but rather a verb, which it can be but not the common usage.  Try emojis to help outB)

Just now, d'ranger said:

lighten up Francis - the most common definition is noun.  And the thing about humor is it has to be obvious, the literal one was funny but you started with stating it was not a noun but rather a verb, which it can be but not the common usage.  Try emojis to help outB)

I couldn’t find the emoji for mongoloid ...

3 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

On a sailing site,  us being cheap fucks sometimes, we end up performing restoration rather than buying one. 

15 minutes ago, mainsheetsister said:

I restored this nice little stool last winter

20106404_10207632540251754_448918367291965218_n.jpg

20228756_10207632540651764_2574809174788568881_n.jpg

Well done MSS!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

I used to teach humor but finally quit as it made me feel funny.

Two cannibals were eating a comedian, and one of them turns to the other and asks, 'Does this taste funny to you?      

46 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Funny....I love woodworking.....I can hardly tolerate sanding. Same with a project like this.....I love to fix things....but all that grinding/sanding. 

I like the metal polishing the best - filthy but spectacular results.

7q Compass before.jpg

7r Compass after.jpg

s3.JPG

s7.JPG

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

7q Compass before.jpg

7r Compass after.jpg

s3.JPG

s7.JPG

Did you do that.... WOW... 

5 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

7q Compass before.jpg

7r Compass after.jpg

s3.JPG

s7.JPG

Is that a stack of nouns or the product of a bunch of verbs?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, warbird said:

Adjectives now...

25 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Did you do that.... WOW... 

I'm more than just a cranky leftie on PA.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:
25 minutes ago, warbird said:

Adjectives now...

Holley Tangentte Topices Batman!                                                   :)

6 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Holley Tangentte Topices Batman!                                                   :)

In the objective case ?

1 hour ago, warbird said:

On a sailing site,  us being cheap fucks sometimes, we end up performing restoration rather than buying one. 

And you Sir, are not a very good Capitolist!

14 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:
22 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

In the objective case ?

Notte siure, I onley use uppere an lowere                        :)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I'm more than just a cranky leftie on PA.

Really....?

55 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Adjectives now...

In conjunction with...

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

7r Compass after.jpg

Gorgeous 

Mid, thanks for this topic, great timing for me - just prior to Christmas I was given this vice, it was brought to Australia by a boat builder in the early 1900's when he relocated from the Netherlands, he brought everything he thought he would need to build a family home and a business in boat building. Vice given to me by his grandson.

Looks like this vice has been around the block a few times.

heuer_vice.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Merrill Levi said:

Looks like this vice has been around the block a few times.

standing by for the after pics :D

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Notte siure, I onley use uppere an lowere                        :)

2390 Case Tractor eq-5433 (1).JPG

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

7q Compass before.jpg

7r Compass after.jpg

s3.JPG

s7.JPG

Did you use any chemicals in the process ?...or old school buffing wheel and rouge ....how did you clean the glass ? and what about the gaskets....the binnacle is a sweet treasure ! 

Damn it, SJB! That wasn't what I needed to see this AM! 

I've got the same compass/ binnacle cover. Just had the compass rebuilt but wasn't going to tackle the binnacle, which is not quite as crusty as yours was, but close. I'm already asshole deep in shit to do before spring. Now I'm struggling with whether to add that to the list.

enhance

Maybe a quick photo or vid  tour of the process, please?

6 minutes ago, Willin' said:

I've got the same compass/ binnacle cover. Just had the compass rebuilt but wasn't going to tackle the binnacle, which is not quite as crusty as yours was, but close. I'm already asshole deep in shit to do before spring. Now I'm struggling with whether to add that to the list.

enhance

Can't get past the wider battens in the seat locker hatches....sorry the old QA in me...but yeah....buff out that binnacle ...it'll really pop at the dock !

https://www.pjtool.com/metal-buffing-polishing-directions/

te·di·ous
/ˈtēdēəs/
adjective

too long, slow, or dull: tiresome or monotonous.

Wow, good eye! Yeah, the hatches are original, the rest of the deck isn't. I have old analog pics from the 70s that show the original deck and they didn't match then either, only a slightly less difference in width. Guess that's the way production boats were built in 1963.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Willin' said:

Wow, good eye! Yeah, the hatches are original, the rest of the deck isn't. I have old analog pics from the 70s that show the original deck and they didn't match then either, only a slightly less difference in width. Guess that's the way production boats were built in 1963.

Sorry for pointing that out...now you'll never be able to not see it....who did the new decking ?....and carefully buffing out the old binnacle....once you start you can't stop...maybe replating 

18 hours ago, Point Break said:

Rust sucks.  Especially in your eyes, after several hours of trying to get that last friggin' stuck bolt loose, w/the blood dripping off your knuckles into your face, your back and neck cramped as you reach around some obstruction trying to get the 1/4 turn w/no leverage.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, warbird said:

That's usually my going-in premise, and I often end up spending 2-3X what the thing would EVER be worth to bring it back to usable condition. 

On second thought, I'm not the kinda guy to go around polishing the brass to keep the vertigris off, so maybe I'm not so tempted after all. Jon B's is absolutely gorgeous, though.

A previous owner had the local apprentice shop- Atlantic Challenge- redeck and build a new house and cockpit coaming. They did a generally good job, though you can find places where they made mistakes and cut corners rather than fix it right. Nothing critical though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Willin' said:

On second thought, I'm not the kinda guy to go around polishing the brass to keep the vertigris off, so maybe I'm not so tempted after all. Jon B's is absolutely gorgeous, though.

A previous owner had the local apprentice shop- Atlantic Challenge- redeck and build a new house and cockpit coaming. They did a generally good job, though you can find places where they made mistakes and cut corners rather than fix it right. Nothing critical though.

A coat of clear, UV resistant spray paint after polishing will make look like new for years...Next excuse?

1 minute ago, IStream said:

A coat of clear, UV resistant spray paint after polishing will make look like new for years...Next excuse?

Gimme a minute, I'll come up with sumpthin'!:P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

That's usually my going-in premise, and I often end up spending 2-3X what the thing would EVER be worth to bring it back to usable condition. 

You would think we would learn.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

7q Compass before.jpg

7r Compass after.jpg

s3.JPG

s7.JPG

Wow - I believe I liberated that exact same compass cover from a gulfstar 39 last year before the boat was trashed and restored it.  Stainless is very easy to polish and gives great results.

20 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:
Two cannibals were eating a comedian, and one of them turns to the other and asks, 'Does this taste funny to you?      

Funny strange?  Or, Funny, haha!

3 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Did you use any chemicals in the process ?...or old school buffing wheel and rouge ....how did you clean the glass ? and what about the gaskets....the binnacle is a sweet treasure ! 

No chemicals. A bit of body work on a couple of dents then an 8" buffer with green compound for the brass binnacle and tripoli then green for the bronze ports. The compass dome was in great shape because of the "door" on the cover so it didn't require any work - only the brass housing needed it.

The ports came out of an old wooden cruiser that was going to be broken up. I bought them in situ for cheap and pulled them out - which was the most work of the entire process - they were bedded in Thiokol.

They were tempered glass which cleaned up nicely - had to scrape some paint blobs and so forth. The gaskets were still pliable so I removed them until the work was done and disassembled the ports for cleanup. The paint on the spigots came off with scraping & sanding and then I set about buffing - 8" spiral sewn wheel with tripoli (brown) abrasive then green, also on a spiral sewn buff.

I don't bother with rouge or with loose sewn buffs on boat stuff - those are more for things like jewelry.

I probably had something like 5 hours total in each of the 10 ports, counting both removal and cleanup. I bought them "while the iron was hot" because I planned to replace the crappy plastic pots in my Fortune 30 but sold the boat before I got that far. The new owners bought them from me for double what I paid for them so I made something like $10 per hour on them - by far my most profitable messing about in boats. :D I gave them a sweetheart price to encourage the boat sale - I could easily have gotten double or more what I charged them.

I still miss them though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Willin' said:

Sorry - I didn't document the process but I have described it here.

Do the polishing last on your project or it'll probably have to be done again just before launching. ;)

You realize you have to polish those winches and cowl vents too don't you?

Pick up a 6" bench buffer at HF for $50 - don't even bother trying anything else like drill powered buffs.

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

Sorry - I didn't document the process but I have described it here.

Do the polishing last on your project or it'll probably have to be done again just before launching. ;)

You realize you have to polish those winches and cowl vents too don't you?...and pedestal 

4 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Pick up a 6" bench buffer at HF for $50 - don't even bother trying anything else like drill powered buffs.

Agreed, but I like one with more grunt and that won't vibrate my bench to bits so I sprung for the $100 DeWalt. It's still built like a tank, not like their other living-on-their-reputation stuff.

My HF buffer is so smooth I don't even have to bolt it down for small stuff. It gets hot pretty quick though.

Bigger is better - an 8" with long shafts and 1 horse is sweet but $$$$$. The little HF does the job on my sort of hobby level.

You realize you have to polish those winches and cowl vents too don't you?...and pedestal 

STFU! The both of yas! :P And I've got bronze porthole spigots that aren't gonna get done either!

Jeez, ya post one thing before coffee in the AM and it's worse than PUI on Friday night.

4 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

My HF buffer is so smooth I don't even have to bolt it down for small stuff. It gets hot pretty quick though.

Bigger is better - an 8" with long shafts and 1 horse is sweet but $$$$$. The little HF does the job on my sort of hobby level.

Not too many $$$. This guy, on sale:

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW758-8-Inch-Bench-Grinder/dp/B0000224J4/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546883222&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=dewalt+bench+grinder+8+inch&dpPl=1&dpID=41Y3W%2B6w36L&ref=plSrch

That's a grinder - the specialized buffers have longer shafts - the extra clearance makes a big difference.

Those before & after pics seem to have been a hit so here's some more. :D

I should note that my bench polisher and my 7" sander polisher for hull buffing are probably my most used tools on the boat.

s3.JPG

s4.jpg

s5.jpg

7a Masthead tang before.jpg

7c Masthead tang after.jpg

7f Tangs before & after.jpg

7h Stove gimbals before & after.jpg

Stove Before 2.JPG

Stove After 5.JPG

• Like 1

Damn with the Canadian dollar to the USD and you @ $10/hr....Willin' needs to get your contact info... ;)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

That's a grinder - the specialized buffers have longer shafts - the extra clearance makes a big difference.

True, I preferred the larger wheels and greater power for my work. Needless to say, the shields and rests were stripped off immediately, which helped tremendously though it still doesn't have the clearance of a buffer.

It took me over 30 years, but I found the perfect job at last. I'm in charge of restoring this lovely lady:

uss-texas.jpg

Unfortunately I spend way to much time just trying to keep her on top of the water.

• Like 3

You're gonna need the BIG buffer.

Well that sure wins the my project is bigger than yours award! Good luck because stuff like that needs saving.

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

It took me over 30 years, but I found the perfect job at last. I'm in charge of restoring this lovely lady:

uss-texas.jpg

Unfortunately I spend way to much time just trying to keep her on top of the water.

Nice JD - they truly don't make em like that anymore.  At some point doesn't it make more sense to dry dock her in cement? I know hull rust has been a huge problem for many years (they did dry dock her for a year or two some years back)

uss-texas.jpg

USS Carolina ?

uss-texas.jpg

Wow...that's an old girl. New York Class one of two. That's a treasure.

I met a numb nuts once who restored a old and beautiful compass and then mounted in the middle of a table that was in his cottage in Muskoka. It never was wrong always pointed in the same direction

uss-texas.jpg

The first you are going to have to do is get those masts vertical be cause it won't sail worth a shit the way it is .  

3 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Damn with the Canadian dollar to the USD and you @ $10/hr....Willin' needs to get your contact info... ;)

Hell, I'll pay $11/hr if you know how to swing a caulking mallet!

47 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Nice JD - they truly don't make em like that anymore.  At some point doesn't it make more sense to dry dock her in cement? I know hull rust has been a huge problem for many years (they did dry dock her for a year or two some years back)

But, but, park her in cement and the geezers won't be able to get underway to fight the aliens!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

toothpaste works on glass .