Sign in to follow this  
Mid

res·to·ra·tion

On 1/6/2019 at 5:13 PM, SailBlueH2O said:
On 1/6/2019 at 5:08 PM, Mid said:

well both the American and English dictionaries disagree with you .

you are a literal idiot

Is he a literal idiot?  Or literally an idiot?  Or both?

Thanks to Junkyard Dog for giving me the extensive tour of the USS Texas.  It takes a lot of work just to keep that ship intact - he heads a group doing that and are overworked and underfunded. The big change coming is how to get her out of the salt water as the 106 year old hull just will not hold up much longer.  If anyone decides to see her I highly recommend the Hard Hat Tour for $35 - you go to a lot of spaces not available to the public. Sorry no pics was too busy not hitting my head while trying to take everything in - the upgrades from WWI to WWII were impressive (crew doubled from 900 to 1800) and the nav and radio rooms were walking through museums.

Very cool.  If anyone wants to volunteer they will take anyone who can show up. When my schedule settles down I plan on doing something there. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 1:54 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

It took me over 30 years, but I found the perfect job at last. I'm in charge of restoring this lovely lady:

uss-texas.jpg

Unfortunately I spend way to much time just trying to keep her on top of the water.

When your charge was the modern warship, not the historic one.   

954C924A-C1FC-4E6C-A2A8-A3FE181081BA.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 2:54 PM, Lark said:

Great photo with Constitution in the foreground.

On 2/22/2019 at 2:54 PM, Lark said:

Thanks for posting that. It's one of my personal favs. The difference between New York and Texas, although sisters, is quite distinctive. Especially the configuration of the stacks and the structures on the fore and main masts after the late 20s refits.

Nice comment above on the Constitution.

Sad about New York. She was a test bed at Operation Crossroads to see what affect the H-bombs would have. As a result, she was nearby, but not at ground zero. When they went aboard after each test, and documented the results, they found damage to the hull in a lot of places that are giving us significant problems today. Of course, with us it's 107 years of sitting in salt water, not blast damage or radiation. Too bad for New York. At the end of the Bikini tests, she was towed to a spot offshore of Hawaii and sunk. I'm told it took over 70 aerial bombs and two torpedoes to bring her down. I only hope our old girl can withstand the ravages of time, and the indifference of those with the wherewithal to save her to a greater degree.

On 2/1/2019 at 1:56 PM, d'ranger said:

Thanks to Junkyard Dog for giving me the extensive tour of the USS Texas.  It takes a lot of work just to keep that ship intact - he heads a group doing that and are overworked and underfunded. The big change coming is how to get her out of the salt water as the 106 year old hull just will not hold up much longer.

I'd think where to get her out would be an equally big question. Junkyard?

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/battleship-texas/get-involved/ship-preservation

On June 9, 2012, the ship’s hull sprang new leaks, with higher water inflow than anything seen in the prior 15 years. TPWD closed the ship for emergency repairs; the repairs cost $2.3 million.

While no further major flooding has occurred, the ship continues to take on more water, and requires constant pumping. To address this situation, dry access to the outer hull is required. A cost effective way of completing this work has not been determined, but is necessary for the long-term preservation of the ship.

An October 2012 scope of work identified internal structural repairs needed to stabilize the ship. These repairs are unrelated to the hull issues, but are critical if the ship remains in a wet berth, and absolutely necessary if the ship ever moves into a dry berth.

In January 2014, Taylor Marine Construction, Inc. completed $20 million in critical structural repairs to the ship. However, this project could not fix all of the critical repairs noted in the 2012 scope of work.

The Texas Legislature approved $25 million to continue work on the repairs. This phase of the project will begin in 2016, and we anticipate its completion by November 2018.

TPWD will continue to work closely with the Battleship Texas Foundation and other partners to ensure the best possible care of the ship. We will continue to explore the full range of options available for caring for the ship in a sustainable manner. We will also continue to offer the best possible visitor experience.

To help save Battleship Texas, learn how you can volunteer or make a donation today!

On 2/1/2019 at 1:56 PM, d'ranger said:

If anyone decides to see her I highly recommend the Hard Hat Tour for $35 - you go to a lot of spaces not available to the public.

This website says it's $50 for the hard hat version. Maybe there's a discount for dog lovers?

During this in-depth, 3 ½ hour long tour, you will explore areas of the ship that have not had any restorative work for several years. You will learn the importance of the construction, equipment, innovations, and operational history of the USS Texas. Featured highlights of the tours include the Ammo Handling Room, Drying Room, Boiler Room, Main Radio Room, Plotting Room, Forward Dynamo Room, Forward Power Distribution Room, Central Station, # 1 Turret, and the Pilot House.

Tours are offered for a minimum donation of $50 per person. Tours begin promptly at 8:30am, 10:30 am and 1:00pm. There are a limited number of spaces available, and reservations are required. Please review our Hard Hat Tour Policies below prior to making your reservation.

I haven't reviewed the policies. I wonder if putting a GoPro on your hard hat and letting it run would be OK?

1 hour ago, Contumacious Tom said:

I'd think where to get her out would be an equally big question. Junkyard?

Several plans have been put forward that would dryberth her in her existing slip, or immediately forward of that. Other not so good options include towing her to another Texas port, an undeveloped location on the Houston Ship Chanel, scrapping her in place (GOD FORBID) and some other schemes that are just too crazy to discuss on this forum. I've heard everything from coating the ship in Flex Seal to shipping her to a shipyard in a war zone because, "Hey, the labor rates are cheaper..."

• Like 2