Sign in to follow this  
sunseeker

Floriduh Man

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

In that situation I would choose the most expensive option for the fuckwit - in that case, slashing the top - a multi thousand $ hit that insurance is unlikely to cover.

Depends on testosterone levels, rum levels.

I'm going to hell but I love these pictures, PB, please tell us you got to do this:

190226-hose-through-car.png?w=931

18 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

I'm going to hell but I love these pictures, PB, please tell us you got to do this:

190226-hose-through-car.png?w=931

Yes..................twice. Once to a cop car.......or as we call them because of their propensity to park in front of fire hydrants at fires - "hydrant locators"........that one was best. I even have a picture of that one............

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Point Break said:

Yes..................twice. Once to a cop car.......or as we call them because of their propensity to park in front of fire hydrants at fires - "hydrant locators"........that one was best. I even have a picture of that one............

Please post that bad boy.

9 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Please post that bad boy.

Well.................it has a few....identifying features...............

Nothing short of Pamela Anderson working you with a strap-on while you are humming a Motley Crue song qualifies.  Post that bitch!

If I can figure out how to black out certain.....identifying marks....I will.

1 hour ago, Cal20sailor said:

Nothing short of Pamela Anderson working you with a strap-on while you are humming a Motley Crue song qualifies. 

Why would that preclude posting it?

11 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

In that situation I would choose the most expensive option for the fuckwit - in that case, slashing the top - a multi thousand $ hit that insurance is unlikely to cover.

Breaking the window would have been a caution or a verbal slap on the wrist, slashing the soft top might have ended in a charge. 

Plus, I’ve always wanted to put a car window out. :ph34r::P

8 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Nothing short of Pamela Anderson working you with a strap-on while you are humming a Motley Crue song qualifies.  Post that bitch!

A strange fantasy you have there. 

Meanwhile ... in FL, alligators have developed signmaking skills ...

image.png.fd43c208c99ebf914830d2e13bfeb4fa.png

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

I appreciate your comment and how much I have come to enjoy your posts.  I have nothing to add but my wish that this never ends up in the news again.  

I appreciate the sentiment and flow of ideas.  

8 hours ago, mad said:
8 hours ago, bmiller said:

These guys were on their way to Florida?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1010056 

Guess nobody told them the General Lee stunts were...... well, just stunts. :wacko:

I'm guessing it was night,  and they were wearing sunglasses.

Maybe they were on a mission from God too?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, floating dutchman said:

I'm guessing it was night,  and they were wearing sunglasses.  Maybe they were on a mission from God too?

:)

• Like 1

The exception that proves the rule.

2 to 3 weeks to clean a headstone? They restore paintings in less time than that. They're stone FFS - a pressure washer would not be disrespectful IMO.

Well, Deep South anyway.

That stupid gator stuff seems to go on in several states.

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

The exception that proves the rule.

2 to 3 weeks to clean a headstone? They restore paintings in less time than that. They're stone FFS - a pressure washer would not be disrespectful IMO.

I had an employee like him for a very short time.... If I told him to sand the window trim prior to varnishing, he start out slowly, but carefully sanding the window sill. 2 Hours later I'd come back and find him still very carefully sanding that same window sill..... With by now bald paper...

I'd ask him if he was just starting a second finer grit sanding... No he'd say. This paper gets finer by its self as I go along... I'd look at the other windows, which had not been touched yet and ask about them. "Oh. I thought you just wanted me to do this one..." :rolleyes:

A really nice guy, and a helluva bass player, but he was probably the laziest person I ever had work for me.

On 5/10/2019 at 6:55 PM, Rasputin22 said:

Grande, did they teach geography and spelling up there in that school of yours? 

Sorry but Deliverance was filmed on the Chattooga River not the Chattahoochee RIver. Unless you went to school there a long time ago when they think that the Savannah River cut the Chattooga off from flowing into the Chattahoochee River and down into the Gulf of Mexico and diverted it to the Atlantic watershed. Still considered the premier white water river in the Eastern US. 

I just took a trip up to NOC about a month ago and vowed to go back and get my whitewater cherry broken. A good friends Brother In Law just bought NOC a couple of years ago and the have big plans for renovation and improvements. 

Image result for chattooga river memes

Got wonderful memories of my youth going up there in the summers from FL with the Scouts to camp near the Chattooga and canoe from Earls Ford to the takeout above Bulls Sluice.   I remember the stern warnings of the scout leaders, "If you don't stop and take out before Bulls Sluice, we will go home without you, one way or another...."

(Bulls Sluice is a class IV fall, with a hydraulic at the bottom of the fall.    Folks get sucked in and don't come out until days later.)

- Stumbling

On 4/28/2019 at 12:47 AM, Mid said:

pIDXNWr.jpg

An primitive attempt at recursive programming....

- Stumbling

You do know that's a hoax report................just saying.

On 5/24/2019 at 7:34 PM, SloopJonB said:

a ragtop?  you can get a brand new one for <$1k   , it's only canvas with a plastic window..

On 5/10/2019 at 10:55 AM, Rasputin22 said:

Grande, did they teach geography and spelling up there in that school of yours? 

Sorry but Deliverance was filmed on the Chattooga River not the Chattahoochee RIver. 

thisa river thata river.. big deal.. once you get west of walhalla,  nothing but inbred mf's anyway..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

thisa river thata river.. big deal.. once you get west of walhalla,  nothing but inbred mf's anyway..

Ime am notte gonig theire.....                                     :)

4 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Ime am notte gonig theire.....                                     :)

once you get north of atlanta out of the suburbs heading towards Chattanooga, into the hills,   all bets are off..   though you can get some nice carpet deals in Dalton. 

45 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

a ragtop?  you can get a brand new one for <$1k   , it's only canvas with a plastic window..

Installed?

Tell me where - it sure ain't anywhere near here.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Installed?

$1500 for a Volvo C70 last year, with a Glass window, installed.  Knoxville TN

Too far to drive.

On 5/27/2019 at 10:38 AM, Sol Rosenberg said:

When we first moved to Maine in 2000, we rented a house that had some pre-revolutionary war graves on the land far enough off the road so as to be hard to find even if you knew they were there. One year we were surprised to find 2 of the graves had been decorated with medallions and American flags.

A little sleuthing revealed that the local  American Legion Post had decorated the graves as US war veterans because the names on the graves bore the honorific Captain. The fact that these 'Captains' died before the USA existed somehow eluded them.

Sometimes a whole shitload of good intentions can be diluted by a small dose of stupidity.

2 minutes ago, Willin' said:

When we first moved to Maine in 2000, we rented a house that had some pre-revolutionary war graves on the land far enough off the road so as to be hard to find even if you knew they were there. One year we were surprised to find 2 of the graves had been decorated with medallions and American flags.

A little sleuthing revealed that the local  American Legion Post had decorated the graves as US war veterans because the names on the graves bore the honorific Captain. The fact that these 'Captains' died before the USA existed somehow eluded them.

Sometimes good intentions can be diluted by a strong dose of stupidity.

Notte surre who the stupide oune(s) is / our.  At a minimume you our dissrepecttefulle.

1 minute ago, Snaggletooth said:

Notte surre who the stupide oune(s) is / our.  At a minimume you our dissrepecttefulle.

Do you believe a sea captain who passed away before the USA was even in existence is an American war veteran?

2 minutes ago, Willin' said:

Do you believe a sea captain who passed away before the USA was even in existence is an American war veteran?

I saide I believe you our dissrepectfulle.                :)

Just now, Snaggletooth said:

I saide I believe you our dissrepectfulle.                :)

How, and of whom?

1 minute ago, Willin' said:

How, and of whom?

Pleasae reread poeste #239, it wille prolley come to you.                                       :)

1 minute ago, Snaggletooth said:

Pleasae reread poeste #239, it wille prolley come to you.                                       :)

I'm pretty sure I know what I wrote, Snags. What's your point?  I'm not gonna argue with myself.  And I repeat my previous question. Is someone who died in the 1600s an American War veteran?

Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll................................. I have to say that the "privateers" that preceded the revolutionary war, and contributed to the harassment of the British navy, and may have joined in the war effort after it started may be considered "war heroes".....

But I also have a hard time defining people who do the job that they've taken, knowing the inherent risks, as "heroes"..... Unless they do something up and beyond their prescribed job description. A Cop who gets shot at a traffic stop is not a hero. He's a victim. A fireman who dies falling through a roof of a warehouse is not a hero, he's a victim.

A soldier in a war zone who gets shot while on patrol is not a hero, he's a victim. A soldier who gets shot while trying to save another soldier who's wounded out in the open, is a hero.

• Like 1

I've always thought (and I've mentioned it here before) that "hero" is way over used till its lost its meaning.

“Firemen are going to get killed. When they join the department they face that fact. When a man becomes a fireman his greatest act of bravery has been accomplished. What he does after that is all in the line of work. They were not thinking of getting killed when they went where death lurked. They went there to put the fire out, and got killed. Firefighters do not regard themselves as heroes because they do what the business requires.”

-- Chief Edward F. Croker, FDNY,
speaking upon the death of a deputy chief and
four firefighters in February of 1908

• Like 1

I've been saying that for years.

It really got rolling in the aftermath of 911. Since then anyone who puts on a uniform is a "hero".

What are we supposed to call real heroes - as described by Leftie? Superheroes?

If you want to know what a real hero is, look up the citations for the recipients of the CMH or VC - those people are heroes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

I've been saying that for years.

It really got rolling in the aftermath of 911. Since then anyone who puts on a uniform is a "hero".

What are we supposed to call real heroes - as described by Leftie? Superheroes?

If you want to know what a real hero is, look up the citations for the recipients of the CMH or VC - those people are heroes.

Cane I simplefy thisse?  Heroe is anny pearson that forgose theire wantes or needes forre the benefitte of orthers.

Wrongo - that's a mother.

A hero risks their life for others in an exceptional way.

7 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Wrongo - that's a mother.

A hero risks their life for others in an exceptional way.

OK, I'll buye that.                   :)

23 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Installed?

i guess we have more mexicans here''    .. ex gf's  mustang convertible..       one night she left the top down, I had to bail 1" of rain out of it..

21 hours ago, craigjoh said:

$1500 for a Volvo C70 last year, with a Glass window, installed.  Knoxville TN

fuck a headlight on a c70  is like $700  

3 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

$185

13 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Tell me about it!  Damned car takes 2 grand a year just to keep it on the road.  And it's always "We've never seen that problem before!"  Everything cost 3 to 4x what the same job on a Toyota would cost.  I just want the damned thing to die, but it's the wife's treasure.

12 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Just don't buy a Ford Focus.

Headlights

A simple replacement for a car’s headlight assembly can run hundreds, even thousands of dollars — a Ford Focus’ can run almost two grand. And if you thought halogen bulbs were expensive to replace, consider the high cost of high-intensity xenons. A BMW headlight assembly without a bulb can cost as much as $985, not including accessories. LED bulbs, which you can find on a Honda Civic or a top-end Mercedes-Benz, are supposedly longer-lasting but also not cheap. LED replacements can run anywhere from $350 for brake lights to $100 for headlights.

6 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Not to worry.

12 minutes ago, craigjoh said:

Tell me about it!  Damned car takes 2 grand a year just to keep it on the road.  And it's always "We've never seen that problem before!"  Everything cost 3 to 4x what the same job on a Toyota would cost.  I just want the damned thing to die, but it's the wife's treasure.

I have a 2002  XC70 Volvo Ocean Race that shares a shitload with the C70.  Instead of buying parts, I bought a complete parts car for $1200 with a wrecked transmission but otherwise very good shape, I suggest this highly if you're gonna keep the car much longer .  It's surprisingly easy to repair most bits and pieces of '99-2007 T5-powered cars if you have the parts already.  I've saved probably $3k already having moved over the following:

AC Compressor

Dashboard display

Garage controller unit and dome light assembly

wheels and tires

cargo cover

speakers

passenger door panel

Coolant expansion tank

e-brake (drum) assembly

front left caliper

Front left control arm

Front ball joints

Top Engine mount 

On 5/24/2019 at 11:31 PM, Point Break said:

Well.................it has a few....identifying features...............

Is this a stupid question? Why not simply drape the hose over top of it?

2 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

I have a 2002  XC70 Volvo Ocean Race that shares a shitload with the C70.  Instead of buying parts, I bought a complete parts car for $1200 with a wrecked transmission but otherwise very good shape, I suggest this highly if you're gonna keep the car much longer .  It's surprisingly easy to repair most bits and pieces of '99-2007 T5-powered cars if you have the parts already.  I've saved probably $3k already having moved over the following:

AC Compressor

Dashboard display

wheels and tires

cargo cover

speakers

passenger door panel

Coolant expansion tank

e-brake (drum) assembly

front left caliper

Front left control arm

Front ball joints

Top Engine mount 

i have  a 2002 toyota tundra...  haven't had to fix anything..

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

Is this a stupid question? Why not simply drape the hose over top of it?

No, its a reasonable question. It actually is a PIA to break out the windows and lead the hose through the car and most importantly it takes a lot longer. We get a lot more cars park in front of hydrants that we are able to lead the supply hose around and still get a good angle for water volume but nobody takes a picture of those. It all depends on what angle to the street the hydrant port is located. Sometimes it just isn't gonna work any other way. Those everybody takes pictures of. Anyway, there are a couple reasons.

1. The primary reason is the hose, if lead over or around the car almost always winds up with severe kinks in it because of the angles involved. If the hydrant is 1 foot from the curb and the side of the car is 1 foot from the curb, by going up and over the car and then attaching it to the hydrant that 2 feet isn't going to give you a clean lead away from the hydrant and you cannot avoid a big kink in the hose. A big kink in the hose severely limits the amount of water you can get from the hydrant, and could reduce volume available by 50%-60% (estimate only......but informed estimate). That really defeats the purpose of using the big diameter (4") outlet and large diameter (4") hose and can easily adversely impact operations. I've been at many many fires where the engine (pumper) is pulling every drop it can from the hydrant to supply the firefighting hoselines and we still needed more.
  2. Its not as fun.

So while the second reason is mostly (not completely) facetious, I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone who parks in front of a hydrant. None. Its selfish and against the law, its selfish and unsafe for the community, its selfish and unsafe for fire operations.

3 hours ago, craigjoh said:

Tell me about it!  Damned car takes 2 grand a year just to keep it on the road. 

You call that expensive?

52 minutes ago, Point Break said:

No, its a reasonable question. It actually is a PIA to break out the windows and lead the hose through the car and most importantly it takes a lot longer. We get a lot more cars park in front of hydrants that we are able to lead the supply hose around and still get a good angle for water volume but nobody takes a picture of those. It all depends on what angle to the street the hydrant port is located. Sometimes it just isn't gonna work any other way. Those everybody takes pictures of. Anyway, there are a couple reasons.

1. The primary reason is the hose, if lead over or around the car almost always winds up with severe kinks in it because of the angles involved. If the hydrant is 1 foot from the curb and the side of the car is 1 foot from the curb, by going up and over the car and then attaching it to the hydrant that 2 feet isn't going to give you a clean lead away from the hydrant and you cannot avoid a big kink in the hose. A big kink in the hose severely limits the amount of water you can get from the hydrant, and could reduce volume available by 50%-60% (estimate only......but informed estimate). That really defeats the purpose of using the big diameter (4") outlet and large diameter (4") hose and can easily adversely impact operations. I've been at many many fires where the engine (pumper) is pulling every drop it can from the hydrant to supply the firefighting hoselines and we still needed more.
  2. Its not as fun.

So while the second reason is mostly (not completely) facetious, I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone who parks in front of a hydrant. None. Its selfish and against the law, its selfish and unsafe for the community, its selfish and unsafe for fire operations.

Even if you can get a good hose lead you should still smash the assholes windows and soak the interior of their car.

Karma demands it.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2019 at 2:45 PM, stumblingthunder said:

Got wonderful memories of my youth going up there in the summers from FL with the Scouts to camp near the Chattooga and canoe from Earls Ford to the takeout above Bulls Sluice.   I remember the stern warnings of the scout leaders, "If you don't stop and take out before Bulls Sluice, we will go home without you, one way or another...."

(Bulls Sluice is a class IV fall, with a hydraulic at the bottom of the fall.    Folks get sucked in and don't come out until days later.)

- StumblingT

Actually the big drops in the movie were filmed on Tallulah Gorge nearby. I was fortunate to be on the first kayak descent of the Tallulah back in 1992 and again for the film shot for the new state park visitor center in 1993. Now that's some intense stuff. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:
8 hours ago, craigjoh said:

Tell me about it!  Damned car takes 2 grand a year just to keep it on the road. 

You call that expensive?

I take it a Jag is quite a bit more than $2K/year.

8 minutes ago, slap said:

Mine hasn’t been nor the one I had before. Both XK convertibles. So the current one is a 2011 and not one repair. Maintenance has been about $600 - $800 a year. The one before was a .........I think it was a 2008.........same maintenance costs and one repair....a fuel pump (the one in the tank). I’ve been pretty satisfied.

10 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

AC Compressor

Dashboard display

wheels and tires

cargo cover

speakers

passenger door panel

Coolant expansion tank

e-brake (drum) assembly

front left caliper

Front left control arm

Front ball joints

Top Engine mount 

You put used ball joints on the car to save money?

Other than that item I applaud this solution if you can store the donor car.  

4 hours ago, slap said:

At $135/Hr for service work it doesn't take much maintenance to get into 4 figures average per year. Some years are near nothing, some years I don't tell my wife.

Frigging oil changes are over $100 if you use synthetic.

I don't mind it though because I get to drive a maximum car that cost me less than the original owner paid in sales tax - so what if I spend more keeping it than a Yaris or Corolla?

Life is short - drive fast cars and sail nice boats. :D

5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

At $135/Hr for service work it doesn't take much maintenance to get into 4 figures average per year. Some years are near nothing, some years I don't tell my wife.

Frigging oil changes are over $100 if you use synthetic.

I don't mind it though because I get to drive a maximum car that cost me less than the original owner paid in sales tax - so what if I spend more keeping it than a Yaris or Corolla?

Life is short - drive fast cars and sail nice boats. :D

Have your wife show you how to shop around.  My last fully synthetic change was $29 US.  I owned a vehicle for 7yrs and in that time, spent $300 in the shop.  The rest (which was minimal) was done in my garage on my ramps.  Life is short, but I took immense satisfaction from taking something that wasn't working and making it whole again.  

• Like 1

Life is short, but I took immense satisfaction from taking something that wasn't working and making it whole again.  

Agreed! 

1D2CCD6D-786D-47C7-8BDC-6A56763A7CC4.jpeg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Agreed! 

Shouldn't you be asleep or at least nudging mrs pb for a go round?  

Shouldn't you be asleep or at least nudging mrs pb for a go round?  

Early to bed and early to rise..................:lol:

Must be all those years of dawn patrol embedded in my circadian clock.

46 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Must be all those years of dawn patrol embedded in my circadian cock.

Fixed it for you...

4 hours ago, QBF said:

Floriduh, Alligator

A 77-year-old Clearwater woman found an 11-foot alligator lying on the kitchen floor.

http://www.tampabay.com/florida/2019/05/31/aggressive-11-foot-alligator-busts-through-window-of-clearwater-home/

Wow, and I was impressed by the juvenile black bear I caught bowling my trash can last night. :blink:

4 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Have your wife show you how to shop around.  My last fully synthetic change was $29 US.  I owned a vehicle for 7yrs and in that time, spent $300 in the shop.  The rest (which was minimal) was done in my garage on my ramps.  Life is short, but I took immense satisfaction from taking something that wasn't working and making it whole again.  

I save that for my boats - I don't have a 2 car garage so I don't do my own car work anymore - got tired of lying & kneeling in the dirt & rain.

That $29 synthetic change is hard to believe - was it a rear axle or a motorcycle or something? Synthetic costs $11 a liter at Costco here. Then you have to change it. And the filter - they ain't $4 anymore.

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

Must be all those years of dawn patrol embedded in my circadian clock.

I think it happens to most of us - I spent a lot of my life on shift work but now I live like a farmer - up at 5 - and it just happened on its own.

30 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I save that for my boats - I don't have a 2 car garage so I don't do my own car work anymore - got tired of lying & kneeling in the dirt & rain.

That $29 synthetic change is hard to believe - was it a rear axle or a motorcycle or something? Synthetic costs $11 a liter at Costco here. Then you have to change it. And the filter - they ain't $4 anymore.

Wallmart 5qts Mobille 1 = $26 ~ $30.  Filltere to adde five buckes.

14 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Wallmart 5qts Mobille 1 = $26 ~ $30.  Filltere to adde five buckes.

Not at our Walmart!  I pay 7 bucks a quart for Castrol synthetic for the 15 year old 200k mile Bimmer X3.

Around here you're doing well to get 5 bottles of dino oil for $26 - before tax. A decent filter was $5 about 20 years ago.

Engine oil is over rated.... My experience has led me to believe that when it gets low,  a red light comes on the display, and I add 3 quarts, and I'm good for another year.

Sure I drive on lots of dusty dirt roads, and that probably helps the viscosity breakdown thing, but..... Hey.... Why........

Oh shit...... I probably just doomed myself by saying this, didn't I?...... FUCK!

2 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Engine oil is over rated.... My experience has led me to believe that when it gets low,  a red light comes on the display, and I add 3 quarts, and I'm good for another year.

Sure I drive on lots of dusty dirt roads, and that probably helps the viscosity breakdown thing, but..... Hey.... Why........

Oh shit...... I probably just doomed myself by saying this, didn't I?...... FUCK!

Love it!   And you can use an old set of your wife's pantyhose for an air filter.

Pro tip!  If the rear axle starts making a lot of noise, my understanding is that you squish in as many bananas as you can.  Peel and all.

Happy motoring!

6 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Foreplay with a loded pistol? That leaves a lot to the imagination. 

slite editte               :)

On 5/31/2019 at 11:27 AM, SloopJonB said:

Headlights

A simple replacement for a car’s headlight assembly can run hundreds, even thousands of dollars — a Ford Focus’ can run almost two grand. And if you thought halogen bulbs were expensive to replace, consider the high cost of high-intensity xenons. A BMW headlight assembly without a bulb can cost as much as $985, not including accessories. LED bulbs, which you can find on a Honda Civic or a top-end Mercedes-Benz, are supposedly longer-lasting but also not cheap. LED replacements can run anywhere from $350 for brake lights to $100 for headlights.

Why do so many threads devolve into a car hijack? OK.

I sold the big, white truck to a local mechanic. He got a whole new plastic front grill assembly with LED turn signals and headlights for $200. Fixed a couple of other things I had been ignoring and now has a great truck for cheap.

Best of all, he's an outstanding mechanic and can work on most anything. My nearby mechanic died and his son is carrying on the business but he's not his dad. Unfortunately, I can relate. But that doesn't mean I'll keep taking vehicles to him.

Floriduh, DIY

Ernie took advantage of an extreme autumn tide to suspend the very same boat from the beams beneath a nearby bridge over the Intracoastal Waterway. He was on a float happily scraping and painting the bottom at low tide when both the marine patrol and the highway patrol arrived. Unable to decide who had jurisdiction over the airspace between the ICW and the highway, they each departed with a stern warning to Ernie “to not to” ever again.

https://www.passagemaker.com/lifestyle/dabbling-in-diy

DIY.png.66a1faec62c62e1d0666b068c7608a29.png