Sign in to follow this  
sunseeker

Floriduh Man

5 hours ago, Mark K said:

You know it's bad when the vultures are puking.  

https://time.com/5654467/florida-home-vulture-invasion/

Smells 'Like a Thousand Rotting Corpses' — Florida Vacation Home Invaded By Dozens of Vomiting Vultures

A neighbor, Cheryl Katz, tells the Post she’s got it even worse because she lives next door to a person who is feeding the vultures and other wildlife.

Katz said she spoke to someone at the U.S. Wildlife Service and learned it is hard to get a permit to kill a black vulture.

People have suggested scaring them with fireworks or balloons, but that doesn’t work for long. Katz even tried putting out four fake owls that have moving heads and blinking lights. “The vultures chewed the owls apart,” she said. “They ripped the heads off.”

You're supposed to eat the wildlife or shove it down your pants, not feed it, if you're a real Floridian.

I didn't know vultures were protected. Does that mean shooting them with paintballs is bad?

On 7/12/2019 at 3:39 PM, Point Break said:

http://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=873

Believe it or not, the only reason I know just a little about it is when I was working we got a haz mat call for some in a garage of someone who got dead (unrelated) and the family found it going through his "stuff" and called us. After a long journey I discovered that its kinda harmless so long as you don't inhale it. Uses? I have no clue...this guy was doing garage mad scientist shit. He had some low yield medical isotopes as well in lead pigs. Real winner........

Not in Florida but New Orleans which has its own special brand of crazy. My neighbor a couple doors down had spent years building a Boothbay Challenger in the back yard of his little shotgun house. 55' boat was larger (and wider) that the house and filled up the tiny back yard. Not even enough room to roll the hull over so it had to have big external rings frames so as to just rotated on rollers around its axis. I woke up one Sat morning and saw dense black smoke pouring out of the yard and went over thinking the whole place was burning down. He had fired up his lead keel foundry and was melting down battery cores that he had been saving for years. He had hippie kid volunteers cracking open car batteries with an axe and then throwing the guts into a big crucible. I think that was an old 1 bag concrete mixer that had a do-it-yourself blast furnace burner made from a leaf blower and some sort of crude valve the metered years worth of dirty cleanup acetone that was probably a third styrene and resin. That explained the heavy black smoke with tendrils of what looked like black cobweb raining down out of it. I figured the evaporating residual battery acid fumes added to the smoke was just additional HazMat hell until I saw the guy pulling crates of little fist sized tapered cylinders with the unmistakable radiation symbol stamped onto them.

Image result for radioactive lead crucible 

He would toss two or three of then into the melting pot and I had to ask what they were and where he had gotten them. He told me his wife was a RN at the hospital radiation lab and those were used isotope  containers that she would sneak out in her bag instead of sending back to the lab. He said they had a lot of antimony which would make for a tougher keel casting and that when they got lucky they were able to get tungsten ones for the really heavy duty isotopes! I asked about the residual radioactivity and if he wasn't concerned about having a 'hot' keel and he said that there was enough lead to absorb any bad juju. 

I looked at the smoke blowing off over my house and went and stayed with a GF for a couple days until the toxic keel pour was finished...

• Like 1

Well, he probably never had to put bottom paint on the boat.

So there's that.

Also got that cool blue underwater glow without having to install or power lights.

• Like 1

After the carcinogen level in on my block dies down a few days later I went to see the new keel and I asked my Noah like neighbor if he thought any radiation would be detectable by a geiger counter  and he said that the top layer where the keel bolts would enter the keel would have a higher concentration of the isotope crucibles to make that loaded area harder. The lower sections would have less so as to be softer to absorb groundings on rock and such. He figured that if you stuck a geiger counter probe in the bilge it probably would detect the concentrated radiation from the top of the keel.

He said he had some sheet lead that he was going to use for sound deadening in the engine room and that if he had enough left over his was considering adding a lead sheathing on the undersides of his floor board and cabin sole above the keel. Guy had spent years dreaming and scheming and collecting stuff for his build and was really a pretty bright guy.

I told him that he would probably never be allowed entry into New Zealand due to their strict 'No Nuke' policy and he doubted that they would ever bring a counter onto a sailboat. He then added that if he ever got the boat seized or himself arrested he could tell the authorities that his boat had a nuclear 'doomsday' device built into it for which he had to return to the boat to reset the 'deadman switch' to disarm it. If they scoffed at such a bizarre story he would then tell them if they didn't believe him to just go stick a geiger counter into the bilge and see what it reads...

IIRC medical isotopes have very short 1/2 lives - days, even hours for some of them.

This probably won't show up in the news, but..... A neighbor who is an EMT in a nearby county (Name of county withheld for their sake)..... Got a call for an eye injury. Seems the guy was a serious stoner, and reached for his ever ready bottle of Visine, and picked up a bottle of Krazy glue instead..... Thankfully he realized his mistake before dosing both eyes. From all reports he will eventually heal, but..... Really?

Florida man, 74, CASTRATED another man he met on an online fetish site for eunuchs using 'skills' he learned while working on a farm in his youth - before the victim was found bleeding in a motel with his testicles in a jar by the side of the bed

3 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

“That’s Nuts ina jarre”

fixte                                :)

Did he keep them in a Nutella jar?

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.720a187209b7e57d16bb159991130a73.png^S

Something's fucked up on the forum, and it ain't me....... BUT...... That seems like pretty smart thinking to use existing materials to cover your windows instead of waiting 6 hours in Home Despot to buy crappy plywood.

11 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Something's fucked up on the forum, and it ain't me....... BUT...... That seems like pretty smart thinking to use existing materials to cover your windows instead of waiting 6 hours in Home Despot to buy crappy plywood.

Especially given that a severe storm is going to remove the fence for you anyway. 

Florida man offers suggestion for combating Dorian.  Says he knows hurricanes get their power from warm waters.  Solution?  Send the Navy out to drop ice in the water.

4 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Especially given that a severe storm is going to remove the fence for you anyway. 

yet they leave the 20 year old dish on the roof..   if would have been easier to pull up a u-haul and load everything in that house..

7 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

yet they leave the 20 year old dish on the roof..   if would have been easier to pull up a u-haul and load everything in that house..

The easy way to get rid of it.....  

2 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

The easy way to get rid of it.....  

Well, it is likely that you get what you give in this case, when you have your neighbors hot tub sized dish in your living room.

People could likely get rid of 90% of the junk that they have on their properties and be happier for it.  Just my opinion, everyone is different, so do it your own way.

48 minutes ago, Windward said:

Well, it is likely that you get what you give in this case, when you have your neighbors hot tub sized dish in your living room.

People could likely get rid of 90% of the junk that they have on their properties and be happier for it.  Just my opinion, everyone is different, so do it your own way.

If that is a hot tub sized dish, then that house must be a mansion with giant vehicles out front.  

5 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

With the size of those eaves, that roof is coming off anyway. I’m thinking it doesn’t have any hurricane ties.............

6 hours ago, Point Break said:

With the size of those eaves, that roof is coming off anyway. I’m thinking it doesn’t have any hurricane ties.............

strapping_down_roof_for_hurricane.jpg

13 hours ago, Point Break said:

They don't look all that different from the ones on my 1931-built house, which was undamaged by Charlie.

They probably have straps but maybe not enough nails. We have a whole industry built on that problem. I hired these guys to upgrade one of our rentals.

A friend of mine used to live in the French West Indies. He stayed long enough to befriend locals and be invited to their homes. Very simple homes, with cinder block walls, wooden roof frames and corrugated steel roofing. The roofing was nailed through the wooden frames, with the tip of the nail sticking out. Being more than 6 ft tall, my friend was getting worried of hitting one of those nails... So he asked why would they not bend the tip of the nails and hammer them flat against the bottom of the wood frame.

The answer was that when the hurricane comes, if you bend the tip of the nails, the roof and all the roof framing are pulled off the structure. You have to redo the whole roof. If you leave the nails straight, the hurricane will tear apart the corrugated steel roofing, but you have a good chance to keep the wooden frame in place. Once hurricane is over, you just have to find a new corrugated steel sheet somewhere and slap it back on the roof to repair your home... The un-bent nails act like a fuse to protect the rest of the structure.

• Like 4

On 9/4/2019 at 10:00 AM, Laurent said:

A friend of mine used to live in the French West Indies. He stayed long enough to befriend locals and be invited to their homes. Very simple homes, with cinder block walls, wooden roof frames and corrugated steel roofing. The roofing was nailed through the wooden frames, with the tip of the nail sticking out. Being more than 6 ft tall, my friend was getting worried of hitting one of those nails... So he asked why would they not bend the tip of the nails and hammer them flat against the bottom of the wood frame.

The answer was that when the hurricane comes, if you bend the tip of the nails, the roof and all the roof framing are pulled off the structure. You have to redo the whole roof. If you leave the nails straight, the hurricane will tear apart the corrugated steel roofing, but you have a good chance to keep the wooden frame in place. Once hurricane is over, you just have to find a new corrugated steel sheet somewhere and slap it back on the roof to repair your home... The un-bent nails act like a fuse to protect the rest of the structure.

When I lived in the VI, I watched a local building his concrete home on a steep hillside. He had spent a couple of years doing the footings on which he had poured hand mixed concrete in plywood forms to create a grid of 12" square columns on 10 centers that were heavily reinforced with steel rebar. Pretty much standard to leave several  half lengths of rebar sticking out the top of the poured column which were bent 90° to tie in when the poured the horizontal beams and decks later. What surprised me was that they would fill in the squares between columns and beams with cinder block simply (and somewhat haphazardly) mortar jointed together. I asked why they didn't drop some rebar down through the cavities of the rebar and pour concrete to fill the cinderblock wall and make everything stronger and monolithic. 

He looked at me like I was a crazy white boy and said, 'Mon, dat would just make the whole house blow away when de storm come! CInder block just blow out in bad storm and we don't have start all over again. Just knock the mortar off the block and stack dem back up in no time..."  So the un-reinforced and unfilled cinder block walls were intentionally built to act as fuses.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2019 at 5:33 PM, Point Break said:

Those are pretty small compared to mine (3' all around).  Much of it was collapsed when I purchased.  Heavy barrel tile and soggy dade county pine made a bad combination.  I replaced over a hundred rafters or rafter tips, and put hurricane ties on every single rafter. On the corners of the exposed side of the house, I have a loop hanging out under the eave. There is a loop on a fixture attached to the foundation.  When I get the right storm, I will put the ratchet straps in place.  People can make fun of me all they want, but I have the third pig's house. 

The nice thing about old FL houses with the big eaves is the ability to open the windows and let the cool breeze blow through, without the sun cooking everything.  Some of those old timers knew what they were doing.  

• Like 2

Way to go, Sol! Ya just ruined a perfectly nasty thread.

One of my neighbors just shot himself in the hand........ With an arrow! :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

How in the world is that even possible?? 

I'll ask. I think he's coming over to sharpen his lawn mower blades in about an hour.....

3 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Mebbe you oughta do that FOR him???? 

No fucking way. I can still count to 10 w/o using my toes.....

Got the story.....

I think I'll wait until tomorrow to relate it..... It's pretty good, but not a bizarre as I was expecting.

Seems he was trying out his new crossbow, and made the mistake of holding the forestock the way he held the forestock of his rifle. It was the fletching that cut through the web between finger and thumb, and the string (or cable) that nearly took off his thumb.

Don't think he'll be holding his crossbow like that again......

Oh, ok, it wase mistacke.  Ist notte licke realley dumbe. 

Hoppe he mendes qickley.                                 :)

On 9/2/2019 at 7:20 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

69789299_10218236902166748_7756450141866819584_n.jpg

What's wrong with using stockade fence panels for hurricane shutters?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Seems he was trying out his new crossbow, and made the mistake of holding the forestock the way he held the forestock of his rifle. It was the fletching that cut through the web between finger and thumb, and the string (or cable) that nearly took off his thumb.

Ahh - that makes sense.   Crossbow, and the bolt didn't go thru his hand. 

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

I'm sure he'll become proficient but if he knocks on your door with the crossbow in one hand and an apple in the other, don't answer it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

That looks like it would become a hillbilly Vulcan when the wind gets up. :D

2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

it's kinda genius, frankly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

With the added benefit of being one less thing flying around to hit the house when the wind kicks up. 

and when everyone else is fighting out for the remaining plywood at home depot, he's headed inland or hunkered down with a tub full of beer!

• Like 1

Exactly.  Given a strong enough storm, those things are going flying if left attached to 4x4 posts.  Might as well get them down and put 'er to some good use. 

3 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Exactly.  Given a strong enough storm, those things are going flying if left attached to 4x4 posts.  Might as well get them down and put 'er to some good use. 

Maybe they'd take out that absurd looking Dodge P/U with the ghetto creeper wheels.......

2 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Maybe they'd take out that absurd looking Dodge P/U with the ghetto creeper wheels.......

Over my way we have a special breed of redneck idiocy known as the "Palatka Lean".  It results in some of the silliest, most useless looking vehicles on the road. 

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Palatka Lean

26 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Over my way we have a special breed of redneck idiocy known as the "Palatka Lean".  It results in some of the silliest, most useless looking vehicles on the road. 

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Palatka Lean

complete with the 'merica decal!

image.jpeg.d851beec740404e1fff4a31dda8f6d81.jpeg

the link i got the pic from suggests it can also be known as the carolina squat  :D

Yeah we have those here too.....

I used to put helper springs and heavy duty shocks on the back of my P/U to keep it from sqating when I had it loaded with lumber..... But you don't see trucks with lumber around here. Everyone uses utility trailers to haul every thing. Why bother with a P/U?

1 hour ago, chester said:

complete with the 'merica decal!

image.jpeg.d851beec740404e1fff4a31dda8f6d81.jpeg

the link i got the pic from suggests it can also be known as the carolina squat  :D

Well, its one way to recline the seats in a ute I suppose.

46 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I used to put helper springs and heavy duty shocks on the back of my P/U to keep it from sqating when I had it loaded with lumber..... But you don't see trucks with lumber around here. Everyone uses utility trailers to haul every thing. Why bother with a P/U?

il_794xN.1852687762_oy78.jpg

:)

2 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

I can answer that for you.

My first new car was a Toyota Pickup.

I instantly became the go to guy when someone had to move, or move something large.

Of course they expected you to come with said pick up to help them.

After a couple years I had enough.  I think it was the dance with a rather large fridge down 3 icy flights of stone steps in a snow storm outside of Boston.

Bought a SUV, class 3 hitch and a solid dump (as in to go to the dump) trailer.

Whenever some needs to move, I hand them the $6 registration for the trailer, point at it sitting there and tell them to put back in the drive when done.

Really opened up my weekends..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Foreverslow said:

I instantly became the go to guy when someone had to move, or move something large.

After a couple years I had enough.  I think it was the dance with a rather large fridge down 3 icy flights of stone steps in a snow storm outside of Boston.

Whenever some needs to move, I hand them the $6 registration for the trailer, point at it sitting there and tell them to put back in the drive when done.

After a fairly long time of obliging my friends who were moving by showing up in my f150, I started showing up in my Honda CRXsi....... And Saying, "OK What needs moving?"

Worked pretty well.

20 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Which came first the Palatka Lean or the Carolina Squat?

Dunno, but Carolina Squat sounds like the result of eating that vinegar bbq. 

11 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

I got tired of begging, borrowing and stealing friends pickups and bought one.  The house we bought in February had a lot of deferred maintenance, since the Seller had been primarily living with her boy friend a mile down the road for the last 5 years.  The stone driveway was very thin with weeds growing.  5 tons of stone later, it's almost done, just a few thin spots where the older, slightly smaller stones are apparent.  I think 1 more ton will probably do it.  Also, rather than pay through the nose for garbage pickup, when the garage has a half a truck load, we dump it in large bins behind our family's commercial building.  Also got three or four truckfuls of free mulch this spring, made from stump grindings, at the town dump, win-win!

No question owning a pickup is useful if you own a house or property.

The only problem with them is that you have to drive a fuckin' truck all the time.

I drive my truck a couple of times a year, but I get the most out of it when I do.  For example, this weekend I will pack it with relief supplies for the Bahamas, and make the ten hour round trip to south florida to drop everything off at the freight boat dock. When I say a truckload, I mean a truck load. 

70864672_2434250476654637_66004871862340

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

I drive my truck a couple of times a year, but I get the most out of it when I do.  For example, this weekend I will pack it with relief supplies for the Bahamas, and make the ten hour round trip to south florida to drop everything off at the freight boat dock. When I say a truckload, I mean a truck load. 

I Admire the spar racks on the sides but think another pair aft would be good.

wait, wrong thread. Sorry.

18 minutes ago, Repastinate Tom said:

I Admire the spar racks on the sides but think another pair aft would be good.

wait, wrong thread. Sorry.

It's an old School Board maintenance truck, so those are for ladders.  I have contemplated putting all four of them in a row just below roof level, above the door, but haven't gotten a round tuit yet.  I use the lower aft one for a place to put the fuel cap when I refuel. That's about the most use it's gotten in the last ten years. 

1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

It's an old School Board maintenance truck, so those are for ladders.  I have contemplated putting all four of them in a row just below roof level, above the door, but haven't gotten a round tuit yet.  I use the lower aft one for a place to put the fuel cap when I refuel. That's about the most use it's gotten in the last ten years. 

Well here you go. So "git er dun".

RoundTuit.png

3 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Is that made by Olsen, Stepvan?  Love the aluminium body!!  I had a smaller one years ago that I intended to build a motor home into, but I only got as far as finding V-8 to replace the straight 6, that burned a pint of oil per mile.....

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

Is that made by Olsen, Stepvan?  Love the aluminium body!!  I had a smaller one years ago that I intended to build a motor home into, but I only got as far as finding V-8 to replace the straight 6, that burned a pint of oil per mile.....

Utilimaster on a GM Workhorse frame. 6.5 GM diesel, with trademark temp problems resulting in cracked head. Rebuilt top end (6.5 diesel heads much harder to horse into place than when I was a kid, for some reason), fan replaced with Duramax fan, thermostat housing replaced with duramax dual thermostat system, new upgraded radiator, deep Trans pan with cooling tubes, upgraded injectors, upgraded injector pump, oil cooler, temp gauges for trans, oil, and water (three different water gauges, with sending units in various spots). I never want to have to do that job again. Runs 25 degrees cooler than when I first got it. 

I like the aluminum too. No maintenance. 

4 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Utilimaster on a GM Workhorse frame. 6.5 GM diesel, with trademark temp problems resulting in cracked head. Rebuilt top end (6.5 diesel heads much harder to horse into place than when I was a kid, for some reason), fan replaced with Duramax fan, thermostat housing replaced with duramax dual thermostat system, new upgraded radiator, deep Trans pan with cooling tubes, upgraded injectors, upgraded injector pump, oil cooler, temp gauges for trans, oil, and water (three different water gauges, with sending units in various spots). I never want to have to do that job again. Runs 25 degrees cooler than when I first got it. 

Perfect Boat Nanny, race program support vehicle!!  Sail and spares storage, room for a small rigging/workbench, some fold-up pipe berths.  You need to quit your day job and hook up with a cool race team, and go sailing!!  It just needs vinyl graphics for the race boat!

6 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Perfect Boat Nanny, race program support vehicle!!  Sail and spares storage, room for a small rigging/workbench, some fold-up pipe berths.  You need to quit your day job and hook up with a cool race team, and go sailing!!  It just needs vinyl graphics for the race boat!

Perfect for loading up relief supplies and taking them to Tropical Shipping in Palm Beach. They run a direct freight boat rout to Freeport and Marsh Harbour, without stopping in Nassau, so all the stuff gets to the people that need it.  That ten hour road trip will be the best use I have ever made of that truck, even though it has no AC and will be a sweatbox the whole way. 

4 hours ago, Point Break said:

Well here you go. So "git er dun".

RoundTuit.png

Since you're doing disaster relief stuff, here's a backup.

033.JPG

54 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

But think of the possibilities.

image.png.a9cb1033405b9ef37cfac7296b50516a.png

32 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

But think of the possibilities.

image.png.a9cb1033405b9ef37cfac7296b50516a.png

I did some compounding when I first got it, to clean it up a little bit and bring out some shine, but that’s it. And that thing is now little more than a conversation piece. Prolly a sushi lunch truck, working a useless crap motif. I like mine. I don’t use it as often as I’d like, but plenty of things fall into that category.

Perfect for loading up relief supplies and taking them to Tropical Shipping in Palm Beach. They run a direct freight boat rout to Freeport and Marsh Harbour, without stopping in Nassau, so all the stuff gets to the people that need it.  That ten hour road trip will be the best use I have ever made of that truck, even though it has no AC and will be a sweatbox the whole way. 

My dumb question of thee day.

Are the relief suppliers loading up a bunch of broken stuff and  bring it back here to dispose of?

1 minute ago, Fat Point Jack said:

My dumb question of thee day.

Are the relief suppliers loading up a bunch of broken stuff and  bring it back here to dispose of?

Not yet, but they’re going to have to do something with it. Andrew caused a mountain in south Dade. This will do the same. 

Just now, Sol Rosenberg said:

Not yet, but they’re going to have to do something with it. Andrew caused a mountain in south Dade. This will do the same. 

No shit - the pics I've seen look more like the aftermath of a huge tornado than a hurricane.

3 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

No shit - the pics I've seen look more like the aftermath of a huge tornado than a hurricane.

Purely my opinion but that’s essentially what it was. 185 mph steady, gusting to 220. But wait. There’s more. Behind door number two is a prolonged flash flood of 18-23 feet (plus waves). 

To put it in context, the US had a former hurricane that was too weak to be called a hurricane that hit NY/NJ and it shut the place down for weeks. Dorian was 2.5x hurricane strength. 

Good on ya Mate!  Fair winds and safe travels.  I really need to get back down to your hood sometime soon, so we can share some beers and swap more old time tales and lies, like we did the last time we hooked up in Fort Liquordale.  I reckon that was more than a few years ago? Maybe even before I started this job in March of '12???

7 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Good on ya Mate!  Fair winds and safe travels.  I really need to get back down to your hood sometime soon, so we can share some beers and swap more old time tales and lies, like we did the last time we hooked up in Fort Liquordale.  I reckon that was more than a few years ago? Maybe even before I started this job in March of '12???

Yup. It wasn’t long after that when I closed on my place up here in N FL. Visit St Augustine!

9 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Yup. It wasn’t long after that when I closed on my place up here in N FL. Visit St Augustine!

Lemme know. I'm not that far astray.

On 9/12/2019 at 2:49 AM, Sol Rosenberg said:

It took nearly 10 years after Andrew before all of Homestead was cleaned up.   Every corner of a road in to a development was piled several stories high with debris.

- Stumbling