Sign in to follow this  
Mid

Worlds most expensive Home Stereo ?

• Like 1

Just a dick swinging toy - Nobody has ears good enough for that to be worth a tiny fraction of that.

And I literally used to be able to hear dog whistles so I know what I'm talking about..

In 1972 I bought a stereo system I was absolutely in love with in Hong Kong on the Kowloon side. Big Teac reel to reel, belt drive turntable, and all the related toys. All this time later, after 37 years of sitting under sirens.......my HomePods are good enough. Huh?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

In 1972 I bought a stereo system I was absolutely in love with in Hong Kong on the Kowloon side. Big Teac reel to reel, belt drive turntable, and all the related toys. All this time later, after 37 years of sitting under sirens.......my HomePods are good enough. Huh?

What's a reel to reel?

22 minutes ago, VWAP said:

What's a reel to reel?

Sigh......it’s.....old.

• Like 1

reel-to-reel-coffee-table__large.jpg

I thought this might be a divorce thread about a remarkable but untenable relationship...

soon after moving into my (stli ll the same) bigger house I got a pair of "VOICE OF THE THEATER" speakers....

Bas Ass as long as (+ I did) have an APE AMP to Drive em.

I didn't a Radio Station But All my neighbors  Tuned into whatever I was listening to !!

My cousin had VoT's and I learned from that that they made piss poor home speakers - they require a lot of horsepower before they start to perform.

Based on his experience I bought Altec 14's - essentially detuned VoT's - and I've had them for 40 years. I've still never heard better home speakers and probably never will now that sound quality has become so unimportant to most people.

It's funny to see the DC battery power idea resurface.  It's very good, as it completely decouples the whole system from any interference or hum from the power line. 

We made several in the UK back in the 70s built into 7-foot 19" rack frames.  The custom amps were very high quality, and drove a pair of massive transmission-line speakers with sand-filled walls.  There were ribbon tweeters mounted on their tops. 

It was all really heavy, so a reinforced floor was a good plan.  All the docs are toast now so I have no idea if they still exist or run.  I did find parts of a sketch, so translated it into a reasonable jpg so you can see more or less what we did.  The layout may have been a bit different - I don't really remember.

The sound was fantastic.  I remember listening to a Bach organ concerto, and feeling a gentle sub-bass rumble through the floor as the organ blowers turned on.  Ordinarily that would have been inaudible. 

But certainly not £2 million worth!

Then I went sailing.

stack_amplifier.jpg

and here i am thinking the $140 transformer i just bought in an attempt to decouple from the motherfuckinghummingcuntgottheconewhothehellinstalledthosepieceoffuckingshit dimmer switches. It;d probably would have been easier and cheaper to just replace the dimmers but i'd probably miss the one in the downstairs broom closet that's for some reason on the same breaker as the outlets upstairs (i jest, i think)

11 hours ago, Point Break said:

I finally got rid of my old 1970 set up I ordered through PACEX in VN....Sony reel to reel....Pioneer turntable and receiver, Sansui speakers ....we had a garage sale and it was the first stuff to get scarfed up (except for the speakers they went to the curb)...the guy was really happy I still had the manuals...I had upgraded several times over the years and was just hanging on for sentimental memories....I was so happy and proud of that rig back in the day

• Like 1

I've got a googolphonic stereo with a moon rock needle. Sounds okay for the car but I wouldn't have it in the house.

12 hours ago, Point Break said:

d238ca3df765fd751a8d79bd4454f3de.jpg

• Like 1

To give you an idea how silly this can get at the rarefied top-end, there was a fellow here in Silicon Valley 20 years ago who bought a $250,000 pair of loudspeakers.  To ensure he had them adequately attached to a solid base so as to avoid any hint of vibration, he had a pair of steel piles drilled, driven and cemented 30 feet into the bedrock of the hillside to perch his speakers on. 

Then he had the house built round them.

Bonkers.

34 minutes ago, QBF said:

d238ca3df765fd751a8d79bd4454f3de.jpg

:lol: It is not quite that bad just yet but I have lost some amount of upper range frequencies. Enough that any money spent on exquisitely sensitive wide frequency range sound reproduction would not be money well spent.

6 minutes ago, Point Break said:

:lol: It is not quite that bad just yet but I have lost some amount of upper range frequencies. Enough that any money spent on exquisitely sensitive wide frequency range sound reproduction would not be money well spent.

Yes, indeed.  Me too - must have been those Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin concerts in London back in the day, standing in front of the big PA speaker stacks.  We didn't know any different.

What you need is a pair of these headphones.  They adjust themselves to your own personal hearing loss and acuity curve.  To say astounding doesn't do them justice.  I'm not affiliated in any way with the company, I just love technology that seems to solve a real problem.  These things just work.

https://www.nuraphone.com/

18 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

Yes, indeed.  Me too - must have been those Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin concerts in London back in the day, standing in front of the big PA speaker stacks.  We didn't know any different.

What you need is a pair of these headphones.  They adjust themselves to your own personal hearing loss and acuity curve.  To say astounding doesn't do them justice.  I'm not affiliated in any way with the company, I just love technology that seems to solve a real problem.  These things just work.

This was Cream in concert. It is amazing that the band members could hear at all after standing in front of those amps.

cream-final-concert-of-uk-rock-trio-at-r

13 hours ago, Point Break said:

then you need one of these hooked up  

https://www.svsound.com/collections/outlet-specials/products/sb-2000-piano-outlet-1090

i've had a few systems over the years, all inexpensive mid end..  but here's one area i think technology has greatly improved..  back then it was  a $250 Nikko 45w stereo amp.. now it's a $400 Sony 120w 7.2.2 system  with hdmi connections...   what once was a wires nest has nicely been cleaned up..

42 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

To give you an idea how silly this can get at the rarefied top-end, there was a fellow here in Silicon Valley 20 years ago who bought a $250,000 pair of loudspeakers.  To ensure he had them adequately attached to a solid base so as to avoid any hint of vibration, he had a pair of steel piles drilled, driven and cemented 30 feet into the bedrock of the hillside to perch his speakers on. 

Then he had the house built round them.

Bonkers.

Have a friend that builds some pretty high end homes and a few of them have been for some pretty well known celebrities...  he has shared with me the obscene amounts of money that goes into some of these homes in the way of an entertainment rooms that includes plans that have been revised by acoustic engineers. 

37 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

image.png.ffcfe7ec0ed96023ca80b5af4ff902b0.png

2 hours ago, mustang__1 said:

and here i am thinking the $140 transformer i just bought in an attempt to decouple from the motherfuckinghummingcuntgottheconewhothehellinstalledthosepieceoffuckingshit dimmer switches. It;d probably would have been easier and cheaper to just replace the dimmers but i'd probably miss the one in the downstairs broom closet that's for some reason on the same breaker as the outlets upstairs (i jest, i think)

Oh lordy.  Don't get me started.  Couple years after we moved in all the bathroom outlets and a light cut out except one.  Ran the lines, wet to the attic to trace everything, yanked the sockets to look for a short,  checked all the breakers and reset all the gfci breakers at the sockets.  Wasted the better part of a Saturday on it.  Finally called a electrical engineer buddy and he came by and did the same shit no bueno.  So we gave up, went to the porch on the other side of the house to figure out the best way to rewire everything over a couple beers.  Flipped the light switch, he looks over at the outside outlet and notices it was a GFCI.  Reset and bingo...  <_< Who in the fuck ties the entire bathroom to a GFCI outlet outside???

I was in a rock band in high school and I got the P.A. system to keep between gigs. I hooked two Altec Lansing voice of the theater speakers  to my stereo. If I turned it up too much the vibrations in the room would make the tone arm jump off the record. I saw the police once  but they liked it and just said please just keep it down. 

Image result for altec lansing voice of the theater 

1 hour ago, shaggy said:

<_< Who in the fuck ties the entire bathroom to a GFCI outlet outside???

You really have to ask?

3 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

I finally got rid of my old 1970 set up I ordered through PACEX in VN....Sony reel to reel....Pioneer turntable and receiver, Sansui speakers ....we had a garage sale and it was the first stuff to get scarfed up (except for the speakers they went to the curb)...the guy was really happy I still had the manuals...I had upgraded several times over the years and was just hanging on for sentimental memories....I was so happy and proud of that rig back in the day

I got my final setup in 1977 - Marantz 1150 amp, Marantz 120 tuner, Marantz 5220 cassette, Technics turntable (wish I had kept my Thorens TD160) and the Altec 14's.

I got a Sony CD turntable for Christmas years later but have never found anything that made better sound so have never upgraded any of it. Now that my hearing goes off a cliff at 1500 Hz I never will. :(

I gather all my Marantz stuff is collectible now.

Just now, SloopJonB said:

I got my final setup in 1977 - Marantz 1150 amp, Marantz 120 tuner, Marantz 5220 cassette, Technics turntable (wish I had kept my Thorens TD160) and the Altec 14's.

I got a Sony CD turntable for Christmas years later but have never found anything that made better sound so have never upgraded any of it. Now that my hearing goes off a cliff at 1500 Hz I never will. :(

Geeks go gaga over tubes

It's all post-tube era - except for the oscilloscope in the tuner

The Marantz stuff is great. Back in the early 80's, my stepdad was a gearaholic so I got exposed to a lot of very expensive stuff, some of which sounded great and some of which didn't. I bought a pair of KEF 101s in 1982 for US$800 that I saved all summer for and they still sound great. In the 90's I bought some Naim electronics and a Rega turntable with a decent Grado cartridge and that's where I stopped. Even my teenage kids comment on how good it all sounds. My nod to modernity was to hook up a Google Chromecast Audio, rip all my CDs to a Plex server, and subscribe to Spotify premium so we can cast any music that's not on LP to the old girl via our phones, tablets, and computers. 

Bob Perry lusts after a $12,000.00 cartridge

That's right - $12K - for a cartridge.

No-one has ears that good.

i lust after a lot of things i can't afford...not being rich keeps me pure :D

2 hours ago, shaggy said:

Oh lordy.  Don't get me started.  Couple years after we moved in all the bathroom outlets and a light cut out except one.  Ran the lines, wet to the attic to trace everything, yanked the sockets to look for a short,  checked all the breakers and reset all the gfci breakers at the sockets.  Wasted the better part of a Saturday on it.  Finally called a electrical engineer buddy and he came by and did the same shit no bueno.  So we gave up, went to the porch on the other side of the house to figure out the best way to rewire everything over a couple beers.  Flipped the light switch, he looks over at the outside outlet and notices it was a GFCI.  Reset and bingo...  <_< Who in the fuck ties the entire bathroom to a GFCI outlet outside???

if i could invent a time machine, the sole reason for doing so would be to go back in time and put my hands around the necks of the electricians who wired my house..

1 minute ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

if i could invent a time machine, the sole reason for doing so would be to go back in time and put my hands around the necks of the electricians who wired my house..

They're probably in hell already.

always fun to look at this site...

https://www.higherfi.com

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

So we bought the house Mrs PB grew up in from her siblings when grandma passed. We were living on our boat and I was quite satisfied but Mrs PB clearly had an emotional connection to the house. Her parents were the first and only owners and it was the only house she knew. Her footprints at age 6 months are in the concrete out back fer criss sake. Anyway it is a 1958 build (on raised foundation thank god) and grandma had a series of "handymen" from her church do all her "upgrades/repairs". It still had the original 80 amp panel and two wire non-grounded throughout the house. I mean ALL the outlets were on one 15 amp circuit and ALL the overhead lights were on another 15 amp circuit (there were only 6 circuits in the panel). So I knew as I remodeled room by room I would be rewiring the whole house as I went. So I go up into the attic to get the "lay of the land" electrically and as I am tracing wires, I come across a place where many wires all came together in a big ball of black electrical tape. I picked it up and all the lights in the house went out. Startled I dropped it and all the lights in the house came back on. :blink:

"Honey...............I'm gonna be up here for a while".

• Like 1

This guy “sees” color by sound transmitted to his bone. He can see in spectrums we can’t. Fascinating.

5 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

I am with you Dreade.

I was checking on the 5 year old high end house we bought as some wiring in the kitchen was hokey and I no longer trusted the circuits.

Stupid bastards had no GFCI on the hot tub,  or any sockets in the kitchen or one of the bath rooms.

Was running a 15 amp circular saw on the deck last weekend.  Turned on a shop vac to catch the saw dust and tripped the breakers.  Had 15 am power circuits instead of 20 in a modern house.

Love to find the MFer...

But it could be worse.  Small town I lived in as a kid always made the worst trademan the building inspector, as he could not ding anyone else's work.

The electrician was the building inspector. They had to take the job away after the 3rd new house he wired burned to the ground from electrical shorts.

As for stereo, in the 80s we used to buy midfi components and then hotrod them to a point they would blow away the high end stuff.

Stereos are child's play compared to 20 million dollar mainframes and it gave the electrical engineers a past-time.

Replace all resistors and capacitors with computer grade parts and then blue print them to match the schematics perfectly.

pour concrete in the bottom of CD players to get rid of any vibration.

custom build DA convertors so we could do double, triple or quadruple sampling.

on speakers to be used on rugs, we would drill small holes in the stand legs and use finish nails with the heads cut off in the holes.  The legs never touched the carpet as the nails were putting all the weight onto the sheathing.  Really sharpened up the sound.

Remember showing off to my 15 yo nephew one afternoon.  Cranked the system up to show how clear the sound was under power.

All the sudden the drywall seams let go behind the system before the seams in the ceiling let go.  Nephew thought it was cool, but I was just thinking of all the work it was going to be to fix the walls due to my showing off.  Dumb ass I am...

And I notice nobody mentioning their green markers for CDs....  ;<)   :<)

The problem today is the .mp3 files are so compressed they sound like shit no matter what gear you are listening with.

Get a CD of an 80s album and get a mp3 version of the same song (has to be older music as new songs are mixed for mp3).

Start each and click back and forth between input sources in a dark room so you ears are really paying attention.

MP3 is good for ear buds, table top battery operated speakers and that's all...

Glad to see vinyl coming back.   My daughter likes it so I pick up a classic album for her on special occasions.

Amazes me how well some of these albums sound considered they were recorded on 60s and 70s technology.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Foreverslow said:

I am with you Dreade.

I was checking on the 5 year old high end house we bought as some wiring in the kitchen was hokey and I no longer trusted the circuits.

Stupid bastards had no GFCI on the hot tub,  or any sockets in the kitchen or one of the bath rooms.

Was running a 15 amp circular saw on the deck last weekend.  Turned on a shop vac to catch the saw dust and tripped the breakers.  Had 15 am power circuits instead of 20 in a modern house.

Good lord, it’s amazing. BTW - if your wire size is 12 ga. you can just change out the breakers to 20 amp with reasonable confidence it’s safe to do so. If it’s 14 ga.......you’re stuck. I ran 12 everywhere (3 wire with a ground mostly so I have an extra line anywhere I might need it), dead ends in each room (no daisy chaining) so each room has its own 20 amp breaker. It’s overkill as you’d rarely need 20 in a interior room but I over engineer everything. I even ran the wire inside flex to a dedicated (and labeled) junction box above each room, then the plain Romex out of the junction box down to all the outlets/light switches. 

I always figured to either run in the tall grass with the big dogs or sit on the porch and bark. 

PB   in a house built in last 20 years, I expect 12 ga for power and 14 for lighting only.

and circuit breakers and GFCI that match.

and outlets built for the rated load (most cheap outlets are 15 amp whereas the better ones are 20).

Simple stuff.    The NEC book is not rocket science.

In my last house It was set up correctly.

And in each corner of the house there were messenger lines from the basement to the 3rd floor attic to pull whatever would be needed some day

A little thought goes a long way.

23 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Just a dick swinging toy - Nobody has ears good enough for that to be worth a tiny fraction of that.

And I literally used to be able to hear dog whistles so I know what I'm talking about..

6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Bob Perry lusts after a $12,000.00 cartridge

That's right - $12K - for a cartridge.

No-one has ears that good.

Why do you give a fuck how other people spend their money?

It's only dick swinging to the jealous.

28 minutes ago, Foreverslow said:

PB   in a house built in last 20 years, I expect 12 ga for power and 14 for lighting only.

and circuit breakers and GFCI that match.

and outlets built for the rated load (most cheap outlets are 15 amp whereas the better ones are 20).

Simple stuff.    The NEC book is not rocket science.

In my last house It was set up correctly.

And in each corner of the house there were messenger lines from the basement to the 3rd floor attic to pull whatever would be needed some day

A little thought goes a long way.

I totally agree with you. You should be able to pull a couple outlets to see if power is 12. Most modern wiring schemes do as you state power 12/lighting 14......which generally means multiple rooms on each circuit up to the 80% load projections. That’s not so bad - I prefer 1 breaker per room (except kitchen, baths and laundry of course) but that’s just me - but it does require a little circuit mapping and wire investigation for you. 

1 hour ago, bmiller said:

Why do you give a fuck how other people spend their money?

It's only dick swinging to the jealous.

You're right, I agree - I secretly lust after a million $ stereo.

14 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Did you get the Marantz Girl to go with all your Marantz Gear?????

Hi Fi Girl.jpg

17 hours ago, Point Break said:

Everyone your age has lost their upper range hearing, Just a product of age...

My hearing has gone from about 16.5 Khz up, my 13 yo son's still goes up to about 18 Khz.  There is an app for your phone, it's kind of fun to play with.  I didn't realize that the phone played the upper frequencies until my son told me that those sounds were kind of annoying while he was watching TV and I was playing...

Anyway those upper frequency ranges quoted are for a pure sine wave sound.  Music (or whatever sounds you want your sound system to play) are not always pure sine wave sounds.  Think about the sound a Sax makes at certain note and the same note for a Violin. Same note different sound.  The wave shape has to be different.  And your ear can hear it.   You need a speaker that can play way above what your ear can hear to accurately play the same high note from the different instruments.

I spent a few thousand bucks on a my upgrading my home sound system last year,  Was kind of fun learning about crossovers for sub-woofers and setting up a basic home system.  What I've said above is purely my own theory on why being to reproduce frequencies well above what you ear can hear is important but I know from experience now that it is, within reason.

What most home systems miss is actually the low frequencies. My system goes well down well to about the mid to upper thirties, human hearing goes down to about 20Hz.  But that takes  room, $$$ and horsepower.  I'm happy with how it sounds for now.  And I love my Danish Speakers.

9 hours ago, Boink said:

Did you get the Marantz Girl to go with all your Marantz Gear?????

Hi Fi Girl.jpg

Pretty much - but you'll need to cut her some slack, that was 40 years ago.

Oh, yeah - I got the blonde one.

On January 7, 2019 at 8:50 AM, nacradriver said:

image.png.ffcfe7ec0ed96023ca80b5af4ff902b0.png

Grateful Dead Wall of Sound

perfect sound 1/4 mile away?

On 1/6/2019 at 10:32 PM, Point Break said:

Sigh......it’s.....old.

So am I and I love mine (early 70's Sansui). The sound of the tape I have is pretty amazing. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 12:21 PM, SloopJonB said:

It's all post-tube era - except for the oscilloscope in the tuner

early Marantz and Pioneer transistor stuff is still sought after.  This stuff can provide good current to support the rated wattage (probobly better than the lighter weight/newer gear).

4 minutes ago, linaszuk said:

So am I and I love mine (early 70's Sansui). The sound of the tape I have is pretty amazing. 

Just something awesome about the “thing”. Now I just command the HomePods to play this or that and it does. Sound is okay. But that big thing, thread the tape, pushing buttons and levers, the analog sound meters backlit and bouncing along......add in the amp with its own analong backlit meters and all the tweaking you could do to get the sound “just right” and it was a process...interactive.....it was pretty cool.

• Like 2

Big RR decks were very cool pieces of gear. One of the benefits of them was that you could record all night what was played at a party and then you had a great tape for another party down the road.

I'm sure there are people out there who will wax lyrical about the "warmer" sound of tubes or some other such pretentious semi-Luddite bullshit and pay a premium for it - just like they do with vinyl.

31 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I'm sure there are people out there who will wax lyrical about the "warmer" sound of tubes or some other such pretentious semi-Luddite bullshit and pay a premium for it - just like they do with vinyl.

You're right about tubes.  There's a fair amount of introduced distortion.  It may sound 'good' but it's not true hi-fi reproduction. Remember hi-fi is High Fidelity, i.e. closest reproduction of the original sound in the orchestra pit. 

Vinyl is a different issue.  Rather than being limited by a digitally-mandated sampling and a low frequency and high frequency roll-off, a good vinyl disc will carry a much fuller frequency range.  Both bottom, below 40Hz and top, above 20kHz. 

A really good pre-amp, power amp and speakers should be able to give this original sound back to the listener.

Our aim was the ideal linear frequency response, DC to 100kHz, at under 0.02% total harmonic distortion.  Sounds like a crazy target, but it was do-able, just.  That's why we did transistors only, lots of them, carefully selected and tested, and some interesting op-amp based feed-forward error correction out of the audio path.  But again, I digress.

But you're right: it really can't be done with tubes.  You're fooling yourself.

Over 20KHz on vinyl? :lol:

Put on a record that has been played 3 or 4 times and set the 15 KHz filter and tell me about high frequency response.

If you can hear past the pops and snaps and crackles.

13 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Over 20KHz on vinyl? :lol:

Put on a record that has been played 3 or 4 times and set the 15 KHz filter and tell me about high frequency response.

If you can hear past the pops and snaps and crackles.

Yes.  New vinyl that hasn't been baked in the sun or hammered by a heavy old cartridge and a heavy old arm set up by a heavy old man with no pressure gauge.  Yes.

Another good source was FM radio.  Now that was surprisingly wide-frequency back in the day.  A good FM receiver and a great antenna and rotator gave an excellent signal.

Stuff it into your trusty old ReVox A77 reel to reel machine at 15ips and you were on.

Image result for revox a77

Then watch the girl un-peel.  But again, I digress.

1 minute ago, P_Wop said:

Yes.  New vinyl that hasn't been baked in the sun or hammered by a heavy old cartridge and a heavy old arm set up by a heavy old man with no pressure gauge.  Yes.

Another good source was FM radio.  Now that was surprisingly wide-frequency back in the day.  A good FM receiver and a great antenna and rotator gave an excellent signal.

Stuff it into your trusty old ReVox A77 reel to reel machine at 15ips and you were on.

Then watch the girl un-peel.  But again, I digress.

A good turntable spinning side two of Borboletta would do the trick too.

• Like 1

so my transformer didn't work to filter out the noise from the dimmer. Aside from replacing the dimmer (because i'm lazy and don't want to find out what fuse it's on) what can i do to get rid of the fucking noise from that stupid fucking switch? Maybe i'll just replace the fucking switch. 

On 1/13/2019 at 12:10 PM, SloopJonB said:

i can't speak for audiophile stuff, but for live guitar sound tubes all the way. there's nothing like an overdriven tube amp belting away. While transistor amps (in my experience) get thin and lack response as you crank the volume, tubes just sound better and better. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mustang__1 said:

so my transformer didn't work to filter out the noise from the dimmer. Aside from replacing the dimmer (because i'm lazy and don't want to find out what fuse it's on) what can i do to get rid of the fucking noise from that stupid fucking switch? Maybe i'll just replace the fucking switch. 

Just replace the dimmer already.

You are trying to cover up the symptoms of a problem, fix it at the source of the issue.

2 minutes ago, floating dutchman said:

Just replace the dimmer already.

You are trying to cover up the symptoms of a problem, fix it at the source of the issue.

kah

18 minutes ago, mustang__1 said:

I changed several switches to dimmers in a house we rented. The fuse panel wasn't in our domain so I installed them and de-installed them with the power on. One wire at a time...

9 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I changed several switches to dimmers in a house we rented. The fuse panel wasn't in our domain so I installed them and de-installed them with the power on. One wire at a time...

i'm..... shocked. 

34 minutes ago, mustang__1 said:

what bulbs you got attached to that dimmer switch?   led's?   not all led's play nicely with dimmers..

4 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

what bulbs you got attached to that dimmer switch?   led's?   not all led's play nicely with dimmers..

LED's. and they don't. They dim, but when they get low i can practically hear them. However, even with the light off, moving the dimmer around makes a very distinctive change in noise. 

45 minutes ago, mustang__1 said:

LED's. and they don't. They dim, but when they get low i can practically hear them. However, even with the light off, moving the dimmer around makes a very distinctive change in noise. 

Some dimmers are specifically LED compatible. Lutron has a couple...no problem. 

Back to the original topic.  Have a look around at the audio ear candy in the website in this link:

http://goodwinshighend.com/

Unfortunately they no longer show prices on the website. I guess if you have to ask, you can’t afford it.... The selection of photo cartridges and cables alone is amazing.  I remember when the Shure V15 was THE cartridge for your turntable and hardware store lamp cord was all that you needed to connect the speakers to your receiver.

2 hours ago, J28 said:

I remember when the Shure V15 was THE cartridge for your turntable and hardware store lamp cord was all that you needed to connect the speakers to your receiver.

Yessss..... The Shure V15 on an SME 3009 arm on a Thorens deck was the ideal deal.  Nothing was (or is) much more betterer than that.  

JHTD147JUB_1.jpg

• Like 1

This is all I kept of my system purchased in 1978. Dad had to cosign a loan. Still have the original receipt.

IMG_5677-X3.jpgIMG_5679-X3.jpg

Such Peasants in this thread...

This is the only turntable one should consider!

The world’s most expensive turntable, AV Design Haus’ Dereneville VPM 2010-1 has a grandiose price tag of $650,000. With Corian chassis, standing on four air suspension feet, this baby weighs over 80 kg. Equipped with touch screen remote control, this audio delight even has Ethernet connection capability.

http://www.hifitimereview.com/av-design-haus-dereneville-vpm-2010/

AV-DESIGN-HAUS-Dereneville-VPM-2010-18.j

AV-DESIGN-HAUS-Dereneville-VPM-2010-1-ap

If anyone thinks I'm up on my high-horse, I'm actually in the same boat as PB

ear-horn.png

7 hours ago, P_Wop said:

Yessss..... The Shure V15 on an SME 3009 arm on a Thorens deck was the ideal deal.  Nothing was (or is) much more betterer than that.  

JHTD147JUB_1.jpg

Your Thorsen's rich uncle.

thorens.jpg

Wow!  I was on a peasant budget BITD when I bought my first turntable which was an AR Turntable with a Pickering cartridge.  I sold that and bought a Dual changer, which didn’t last long.  Last turntable I bought was a Panasonic Technics SL-1600 with an Audio Technica cartridge.  I still have it.

• Like 1

But this beast from 1969 was pretty awesome too.  Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference Turntable.  With the SME 3009 of course.

A thing of beauty from 50 years ago.

Image result for transcriptors turntable

6 hours ago, P_Wop said:

But this beast from 1969 was pretty awesome too.  Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference Turntable.  With the SME 3009 of course.

A thing of beauty from 50 years ago.

Image result for transcriptors turntable

the brushes are a nice touch..

I have a mere Thorens TD145, with a Concorde CMC-300 MC cartridge. Sounds better than I can hear, through a Luxman L-85V amp and Celestion Ditton 550 speakers. I have had the system forever.

Did the audiophiles ever sort out direct drive, rim drive or belt drive as most desirable? I recall a big debate way back....

5 hours ago, Point Break said:

Did the audiophiles ever sort out direct drive, rim drive or belt drive as most desirable? I recall a big debate way back....

Belt drive, it isolates the motor from the platter.