OutofOffice

When is old, too old? P16

Prindle 16's can be found in every field and backyard, but are they worth anything anymore?

I have a lead on a ready to sail P16 (older guy getting out of sailing) but frankly know nothing about them. The obvious concerns with softspots, bottom jobs, etc. are already on my radar (From the little I've been around this boat, it's solid), but every boat has its quirks. What are the P16's?

He's got a spare mast and I believe a spare jib. Sails are in 6/10 condition. Trailer. No Beach Wheels. 700 cash.

I don't need a cat. I don't need a project. I also don't like to miss a good deal. What say you?

Go sail it and enjoy it. Simple, solid beach cat. If you like it then tidy it up and replace the sails and rigging and enjoy it some more!

The decks under the overlapping tramp seem to be more at risk of going soft than the hulls. The black polypro mesh of the tramp tends to heat the flatter part of the glass foam deck and the foam gets crunchy (friable?). I bought a $500 P 18 (not the P 18-2) that was overall in great shape but when sailing and plopping your butt down hard after a tack or jibe on the new windward deck I would hear a popping sound. At first I thought it was just the tramp and lacings creaking so I replaced the lacings and it the sound was still there. After a few lively sails it gradually went away but then I realised that each pop had been an area about the size of my ass where the outer skin was sheering from the core. The noise quit when the whole side deck area where one sat was gone soft. Beware of this situation on a boat that has sat without a cover in the sun for many years. The foredecks seem fine and you would think that the tramp would protect the side decks between the beams but like I said, I think the heat absorption of the black poly mesh exacerbates this sore degradation. 

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

The decks under the overlapping tramp seem to be more at risk of going soft than the hulls. The black polypro mesh of the tramp tends to heat the flatter part of the glass foam deck and the foam gets crunchy (friable?). I bought a $500 P 18 (not the P 18-2) that was overall in great shape but when sailing and plopping your butt down hard after a tack or jibe on the new windward deck I would hear a popping sound. At first I thought it was just the tramp and lacings creaking so I replaced the lacings and it the sound was still there. After a few lively sails it gradually went away but then I realised that each pop had been an area about the size of my ass where the outer skin was sheering from the core. The noise quit when the whole side deck area where one sat was gone soft. Beware of this situation on a boat that has sat without a cover in the sun for many years. The foredecks seem fine and you would think that the tramp would protect the side decks between the beams but like I said, I think the heat absorption of the black poly mesh exacerbates this sore degradation. 

Interesting theory. Wouldn't have considered that.

Is the hull layup the same as Hobie's?

6 hours ago, OutofOffice said:

I don't need a cat.

I don't understand this.

Make a modest offer if you can afford to. Sail it, have fun with it, and keep it if you enjoy it... or sell it onward to somebody else if you don't wind up using it. Older beachcats are affordable fun.. especially if you have warm enough water for extended-season sailing.

Randii

34 minutes ago, OutofOffice said:

Interesting theory. Wouldn't have considered that.

Is the hull layup the same as Hobie's?

Pretty much the same. Really thin inner glass skin. I used to do a lot of repair work on all beach cats and the QC on Prindles was pretty good. I should have pulled the tramp on my p18 once I figured out what was going on and could have drilled from the top through the top laminate into the foam being careful not to go through inner skin. A 1/4" hole every three inches or so over the affected area and then use a syringe to inject West Epoxy clear a couble of time to soak into the core and then follow up with a mayonnaise consistency plug of West thickened with milled fibers and some colloidial silica which would sort of 'rivet' the panel back into a semblance of rigidity. You wouldn't really have to worry about cosmetics in this case because the tramp would cover the repairs. Probably could still do that but I bought a Jim Brown 28' SeaClipper tri so the old cat is now a ornament on our beach. I had a Hobie 18 that was so delaminated that ants had built their colony of tunnels all through the core. The hulls had been professionally AwlGripped in Tortola and the owner (At John) didn't pick them up for a couple of years! The yard finally told him to come get them or they would send them to the dump. I was over for the Spring Regatta and told the guy I would pick them up and bring home if I got sailing privileges.  The hulls looked great laying on the ground behind the paint shop and I put the stern plugs in and towed them out to my big trimaran and loaded before the final Sunday race. I was racing on a monohull and we had a great regatta and podiumed. Big party until late and had a few extra guests that night on the boat. We were all trying to sleep in late (Mt Gay hangover!) and the 'guests' sleeping in the tramps started making a ruckus shortly after dawn. I went up on deck for a pee over the side and to tell them to pipe down and it seemed that they were being eaten alive by hordes of angry ants pouring out of the Hobie hulls! I had seen no sign of them when I first put the drain plugs in but they had managed to find some way out and pretty much took over my boat.

I was so pissed at the owner that he gave me all the rest of the beams and rig and sails to put the boat away and helped me fog my boat. When you looked in through the inspection ports it looked like one of those 'Ant Farm' things that were popular when we were kids. I never trusted the boat structurally on account of that but did make a centerling pod/sled and hung a Yamaha 9.9 on it and used it as my commuter/surf exploration boat for about three years!

On 1/7/2019 at 4:38 AM, OutofOffice said:

Prindle 16's can be found in every field and backyard, but are they worth anything anymore?

I have a lead on a ready to sail P16 (older guy getting out of sailing) but frankly know nothing about them. The obvious concerns with softspots, bottom jobs, etc. are already on my radar (From the little I've been around this boat, it's solid), but every boat has its quirks. What are the P16's?

He's got a spare mast and I believe a spare jib. Sails are in 6/10 condition. Trailer. No Beach Wheels. 700 cash.

I don't need a cat. I don't need a project. I also don't like to miss a good deal. What say you?

Go get it an enjoy it... but don' put much money into it..  but $300 would be my max...

23 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

I had a Hobie 18 that was so delaminated that ants had built their colony of tunnels all through the core

Holy Crap...

Thanks for that tidbit, I'll never look at one of those old field boats the same.

49 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Go get it an enjoy it... but don' put much money into it..  but $300 would be my max...

You're saying purchase price 300 or less?

thebeachcats.com community knows everything about P16s, and their "great deals" forum will have a say about fair price and likely repairs/parts needed...

IMHO the P16 is a better boat than an H16. I've seen experienced hands with them smoke H16s. The pros are:

- Overall higher quality construction and better design which one would expect as it come out after the H16.

- More robust crossbar to deck (flush mount, no pylon) arrangement.

- Larger bow displacement, less prone to pitchpole which allows the boat to be driven much harder off the wind.

Used parts are more difficult to come by, but there are always parts whores on ebay with an overpriced stash. Most folks I know that have them buy very cheap "parts" boats when they pop up.

The only reason that this boat didn't become more popular than the H16 is that Hobie penetrated the the market very hard and fast with the product plus the "cool" factor and aura of the "Hobie Way Of Life."

There is no such thing as too old. Buy it and have fun.

On 1/26/2019 at 12:01 PM, leeboweffect said:

IMHO the P16 is a better boat than an H16. I've seen experienced hands with them smoke H16s. 

My guess is the H16's were being sailed by muppets?

• Downvote 1

They are tough, forgiving boats if they aren't too beat up IMO.

I did the EC on a $1200 cdn, 1979 P16, finished last in class, but still finished.  Boat was no worse for wear at the end, aside from some chaffed lines.

The hulls are higher volume than Hobie 16s, which I think makes them a bit more stable.  Newer models (1979 up I think) have twist off inspection ports in each hull.  Great place for putting stuff that some beach cats dont have.  We had a weeks worth of camping gear, food and water in the hulls.  Made the boat slow and wet, but it worked.

Picked it up this weekend. Too good of a deal. Better condition that I thought, just needs a bath.

Would post pictures but the site seems to be having some issues today.