Someone over early in IRC2, that is going to very expensive. Probably 20min to get back with this tide/widespeed. Looks like Phosphorus 2.

22 minutes ago, Quagers said:

Who is the muppet talking about the Ultims breaking the record? Has he not seen a weather forecast?

Louay Habib, generally knows what he is talking about. Forecast is looking pretty quick, but maybe not enough, depending on how dialled in the new Ultimes are. 

I guess, current record is held by a MOD70 and the Ultimes are certainly a lot faster. But it did it in a lot more wind.

Just now, Quagers said:

I guess, current record is held by a MOD70 and the Ultimes are certainly a lot faster. But it did it in a lot more wind.

When Banque Pop broke the record, the MOD70s were not far behind, and Brian Thompson was saying that the course did not really suit the Ultimes. Of course that was pre foiling... 

Sorry yeah, Banque Pop still has it, for some reason I thought Consise 10 had beaten the record a couple of years ago.

7 minutes ago, Quagers said:

Sorry yeah, Banque Pop still has it, for some reason I thought Consise 10 had beaten the record a couple of years ago.

Ha! I actually thought Phaedo has it, was just referring back to 2013(?).

Just heard on the commentary that finish by lunch time tomorrow! 

Yeah, they are already over halfway to Weymouth. Current record is 32hrs, 48min so if they do manage lunchtime tomorrow then they will smash it. Crazy stuff given the wind isn't even particularly optimal.

Either Gipsy Moth didn't start in the end or someone left the Yellowbrick on the dock.

1 hour ago, jb5 said:

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/08/francois-gabart-macif-rolex-fastnet-race-pascal-james-spithill-bidegorry-forfait-.html#.XUV-dzXYphE

James Spithill (did a Americas Cup or something I think) on Macif replacing Pascal Bidégorry.

Amazing addition, a bloke who's spent maybe 3 nights total in his life sailing offshore.

4 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Amazing addition, a bloke who's spent maybe 3 nights total in his life sailing offshore.

I mean, they are only doing a day race, why do they need someone with offshore experience?

• Like 1

Don't understand the hate. Spithill has plenty of miles in Sydney Hobart and has sailed on Macif. 

Not like Francois couldn't handle the boat by himself anyway. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

32 hours is the record.  No need for sleep.

12 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

32 hours is the record.  No need for sleep.

Learnt how not to vomit once he exits Sydney heads finally then I'm guessing.

Sodebo taking a bit of a flyer at the moment. Rothschild and Macif pretty much just straight lining it along the coast while Sodebo off out in the middle of the channel.

Doesn't look like any of the IRC fleet wanted to play with Portland bill this year.

13 minutes ago, Quagers said:

Sodebo taking a bit of a flyer at the moment. Rothschild and Macif pretty much just straight lining it along the coast while Sodebo off out in the middle of the channel.

Doesn't look like any of the IRC fleet wanted to play with Portland bill this year.

I'd bet on Macif.

5 hours ago, Quagers said:

Someone over early in IRC2, that is going to very expensive. Probably 20min to get back with this tide/widespeed. Looks like Phosphorus 2.

You sure? I think you meant IRC 1.

Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 10.39.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 10.50.12 AM.png

Thought it was that German squad that was one of those fringe ocean race entrants who had that public falling out with one of its team members (who then went to the press to complain about BP & Cremer getting the opportunity). 

Think Conrad Colman is sailing with them on the imoca - looks to be titled Einstein. 

35 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

You sure? I think you meant IRC 1.

There was someone over early in both classes. The tide was beginning to rip over the line by the time they started.

7 minutes ago, Quagers said:

There was someone over early in both classes. The tide was beginning to rip over the line by the time they started.

I think IRC 1 and IRCZ. 

Gitana is reporting having  hit a "not on the map" sand bank after the start :`

And probably damaged its centerboard

Do these things really exist in the solent ?

By the shingles there's plenty of warnings re shifting sandbanks. Either commit north or follow the channel. 

Not sure we have high even resolution re their track to tell. 

I was at hurst. It looked liked two ultims hit the shingles, or the second one turned south after seeing the first one ground . Plus an imoca shucked there for ages.

DA05BDB7-2BF2-49D0-84A4-02E7B6A8870B.jpeg

6 minutes ago, npf1 said:

I was at hurst. It looked liked two ultims hit the shingles, or the second one turned south after seeing the first one ground . Plus an imoca shucked there for ages.

DA05BDB7-2BF2-49D0-84A4-02E7B6A8870B.jpeg

Any idea which IMOCA?

Gitana hit but Macic and Sodebo managed to avoid apparently.

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/08/gitana-17-rolex-fastnet-race-edmond-de-rothschild-cammas-caudrelier-.html#.XUXsbzXYphE

• Like 1

IIRC Apicil was the imoca on the bank

Gitana hit but Macic and Sodebo managed to avoid apparently.”  EdR was the other one that turned south or also hit, IIRC 

3 hours ago, Miffy said:

Thought it was that German squad that was one of those fringe ocean race entrants who had that public falling out with one of its team members (who then went to the press to complain about BP & Cremer getting the opportunity). 

Think Conrad Colman is sailing with them on the imoca - looks to be titled Einstein. 

The former Acciona from 12/13?

Does anybody have a link to the full replay of the start???

It’s not exactly an obscure area. 

F5EF0E49-2997-4266-AFAA-CA969D43F044.png

I dont want to be too critical of the coverage but seems they have missed out on capturing the public imagination for a race every two years they should of had a fleet of cameras out on the water or onshore showing non stop footage, the whole week should include interviews and boat designs, funny stories and will be interesting to see the set up in Plymouth and whats on offer....

• Like 1

can anyone tell me how to get the multi's to show on the race tracker ?

1 hour ago, peterbike said:

can anyone tell me how to get the multi's to show on the race tracker ?

On the Android app, on the Home/Map page, goto  "Teams" (bottom left), then goto "Groups" (top right), and then choose whatever you like to see. Then go "Back" to "Map".

On yer bike, Peter!

Got the tracker to show multi's   (whew !)  thanks Fiji

next, is will the group who have headed south (mostly imoca 60) come out ahead of the group closer to the coast ?

my money is on the southern group.....

Interesting split in the fleet with maxis going close to English shore and the rest of the fleet seeking middle of the channel...

1 hour ago, peterbike said:

Got the tracker to show multi's   (whew !)  thanks Fiji

next, is will the group who have headed south (mostly imoca 60) come out ahead of the group closer to the coast ?

my money is on the southern group.....

1 hour ago, bayboy said:

Interesting split in the fleet with maxis going close to English shore and the rest of the fleet seeking middle of the channel...

The southern group must be betting on a veering wind, as forecasted. Of the boats closer to the coast, Scallywag and Wizard might make Lizard Point just before the tide will turns foul, while the others will struggle more and more.

A pity the tracker is so primitive, and I'm too lazy on the Sunday afternoon to look much further. And it's always a bit of a gamble anyway.

3 hours ago, bayboy said:

I dont want to be too critical of the coverage

The coverage of the start was poor. Too much switching between cameras, often going to an extreme wide shot which was really boring. The Director lacked the courage to sit on a good shot and let it play out.

• Like 1

I'm surprised to see Sodebo not up front with Macif and Gitana 17. 

I see Sodebo is finally up to 24 or 25 knots now...  but behind???

Woow .  37.8 knots . drag race to the rock .     Pip Hare doing well ....a bit of local knowledge plus a bit to boot .  

• Like 1

IMOCA 60s will come together within the hour.

20 minutes ago, littlechay said:

IMOCA 60s will come together within the hour.

That's funny!

But why is the southern group continuing to sail to where the coastal group is stuck with negative vmg?

Come on Sam, tack ffs!

Gitana in the lead getting chased by Macif.
Not bad for a nap on the sandbank. Both of them already on the way back while the rest still has a bit to go to the rock.

What is up with V&B in IMOCA?

13 minutes ago, Chasm said:

What is up with V&B in IMOCA?

Last tracker ping 23:00 yesterday.

Pip Hare in the lead in Imocas with her old boat (built by Bernard Stamm in a barn), impressive !

And Arkea Paprec second, nice beginnings.

Will probably change when the wind fills in.

1 hour ago, Fiji Bitter said:

That's funny!

But why is the southern group continuing to sail to where the coastal group is stuck with negative vmg?

Come on Sam, tack ffs!

Yea .. looks like she is expecting a big lift soon; which windy at least doesn't show until much later in the day.

My tracker must be screwed up because I show Ed de Rothschild chasing Macif for the lead.

34 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

My tracker must be screwed up because I show Ed de Rothschild chasing Macif for the lead.

Macif must somehow have blasted past Gitana. They are now 2kn faster, but they were 2' behind 15-20min ago, so no idea how they did it.

6 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Macif must somehow have blasted past Gitana. They are now 2kn faster, but they were 2' behind 15-20min ago, so no idea how they did it.

Charles Caudralier/Franck Cammas magic. Weren't they stuck in the sand early on? She/Ed d R now slightly in the lead.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

Charles Caudralier/Franck Cammas magic. Weren't they stuck in the sand early on? She/Ed d R now slightly in the lead.

They were not, but their centerboard was. :D

PS. Bit of video in post #128, by  yl75.

Edited by Fiji Bitter
PS
  • Like 1

The two leading Ultims will be in Plymouth before the first monos reach the rock.

Off topic : meanwhile Franky Zapata just crossed the channel on his "flyboard" (in around 10 mn I think):

Edit : in fact in 25mn, and with a stop in the middle on a boat to refuel, so not really a crossing ..

Posted (edited)

Pip Hare lost a lot and looks like a wallowing drunk. Something must be wrong there.

PS  No panic, must have been a tracker glitch, she is now leading again!

Edited by Fiji Bitter
PS

10 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Pip Hare lost a lot and looks like a wallowing drunk. Something must be wrong there.

She is still in the lead on my tracker (desktop), but I guess Charal will take the lead passing the TSS

Scally again failing to pull away from her smaller rivals.

2 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

Scally again failing to pull away from her smaller rivals.

Rambler is faster in the heavier weather and gaining. Wizard may also pull some ground. 

2 hours ago, yl75 said:

Off topic : meanwhile Franky Zapata just crossed the channel on his "flyboard" (in around 10 mn I think):

Edit : in fact in 25mn, and with a stop in the middle on a boat to refuel, so not really a crossing ..

Wasn't he in the Bastille Day parade in Paris? Whoever it was, it was an awesome appearance.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

Wasn't he in the Bastille Day parade in Paris? Whoever it was, it was an awesome appearance.

Yes he was 

RORC has posted on its Facebook page that Ed de R/Gitana has set a new record to Fastnet Rock with an elapsed time of 18 hours, 3 min, 30 sec., with Macif 2 min behind. The former record, held by Loick Peyron driving Bank Populaire V (which I think is now the Scally Tri but not sure), was set in 2011, and was 22 hours 21 min 25 sec. So these big boys are really hauling ass. 

1 minute ago, despacio avenue said:

So these big boys are really hauling ass. 

They are: As they passed south of the west of Scilly TSS I saw speeds in the top half of the 30s. Dropping to around 30 now.

Arkea now the leading Imoca boat. Earlier it appeared Charal was ahead so not sure what transpired. Can you imagine if this Juan K was to win this class it might set a cat amongst the VPLP pidgeons ? Rambler powering now in her element. Scally will be hoping for less breeze. Wizard going well too

Embarrassing confession: I missed the start and while I had checked on the entrants numerous times over the past few months, I somehow didn't register that "Actual Leader" is the name of a boat. So when I was checking the tracker repeatedly earlier, up with the big boys was Actual Leader, and I thought, WTF? I thought (pick one) GItana/Macif was the "actual leader". Then I went back to the boat list and....^_^

• Like 1

wow they could smash the record by 5 or 6 hrs.. that's a fair whack.

Fortunately for them the ducking and weaving back through the fleet will be in daylight which means no excuses to back off!

20 hours ago, yl75 said:

Gitana is reporting having  hit a "not on the map" sand bank after the start :`

And probably damaged its centerboard

Do these things really exist in the solent ?

A sandbank? In the Solent?

Chance in a million.

• Like 2

13 miles to go , truly extraordinary .  3miles back to second....just coming out of the pack of monos, so now a clear run to the finish

Gitana just took the lead back !

8 minutes ago, huey 2 said:

Macif lead down to 2miles ...6.9 to go

Ah yes, mixed up the two on the tracker ..

Hope Gitana did indeed mess up its centerboard for future races interest

AIS showed them crossing together! Can be time lapse of course.

Gitana by 1 minute.

looks like gitana won by a very small margin.  if so they eventually won something

Charles & Franck did it by 1 minute - hotter gybe angle into the finish, Macif clearly gybed too early

what a last throw of the dice by Charles & Franck. Trailing Macif almost all the way round then popping in front for the only mile that mattered

28 hours racing, win by a minute. 0.05%, that's even closer than Dongfeng's win last year and that was also a come from behind

Any video of the finish somewhere ?

all the imoca foilers are doing between 24 and 28 knots right now, (except Arkea Paprec, doing 17-20, i hope they didnt break a foil.), they are catching up fast on the min maxis.

PRB 26.5

Maitre coq 27.3

initiatives 24.7

charal 23.6

bureau vallée seems to have just pulled out, doing 13 knts off the course

1 hour ago, Miffy said:

Something not right on Arkea Paprec. 

Or perhaps they decided to take it easy (as "promised" before the start), after all this boat is out of the yard since 10 days or something

The TS42 (Guyader Gastronomie) is doing very well in MOCRA, in front of all bigger Dazcats.

The TS5 Amalia not so well (but much less trained crew most probably)

3 minutes ago, serialsailor said:

all the imoca foilers are doing between 24 and 28 knots right now, (except Arkea Paprec, doing 17-20, i hope they didnt break a foil.), they are catching up fast on the min maxis.

PRB 26.5

Maitre coq 27.3

initiatives 24.7

charal 23.6

bureau vallée seems to have just pulled out, doing 13 knts off the course

bureau vallée continues to disappoint.  performance wise they seem far below where they should be for the former VG winning BP

Second time in a row for François Gabart to get pipped on the line, like in the Route due Rhum!

15 minutes ago, jb5 said:

bureau vallée continues to disappoint.  performance wise they seem far below where they should be for the former VG winning BP

TBF Armel is amazing and that BP was not that quick compared to an intact Hugo Boss. Just look at all the foilers like Malizia. Not really better than well sailed MACIF-SMA-BP here or during the RdR. 

Amazing watching those multi's when you set the tracker to the beginning and watch them haul ass.