JonRowe

Fastnet 2019

2 hours ago, hoppy said:

Based on past results, Scally/Rags 100 has never really been a fast boat. Just look at the S2H results. Getting beating across the line by nearly half a day by C &WOIX, beating R88 & RIO 100 by only a few minutes and getting beaten by Giacomo (is that Wizard?) and Loyal...

Seems like an extreme rebuild is needed

That is the rebuild!!! Whatever is left of Maximus way in there was, what, a 2003-2004 build? Basically the companionway and part of the cockpit and deck is left from the original boat? 

13 hours ago, jackolantern said:

Heard rumors that the blackjack 70 was gonna become Pyewacker but Roy P was on Wizard for this one so who knows. 

Talk at SIBS was that BJ70 is sold locally (ie In Aus)

14 hours ago, ToothlessTheDragon said:

Witt on getting beaten here:

That was about the most candid response I’ve seen to failure. Well done that man. 

12 hours ago, spyderpig said:

Still a good indication. Jean Pierre seems to have a good understanding of what makes IRC tick.

12 hours ago, Miffy said:

JPK continues to build balanced boats that are good in heavy, moderate and light conditions upwind and downwind. 

IRC 2 first place a JPK 1180, 3 out of 4 top places are JPK's. 
IRC 3 1st place a JPK 1030, 6 out of the top 7 places are JPK's.
IRC 4 1st place a JPK 1010 and 5 out of the top 8 boats are JPK's

Fairly certain these are the finish results this time and not to the rock (I may be dumb but not unteachable! :D).  My past incorrect reports of finishes is probably the reason why I haven't been contacted by the RC to handle PR.  I'll bet I'll still get access to SailGP before the ed though!   Especially when I tell them I have up to 150+ Facebook followers I reach daily and at least 5 of them care about sailing.  Joking aside, it's absurd SailGP is being so incredibly stingy about press passes.  They refused a local photographer and website publisher here in San Francisco access when they came through also.  Ridiculous if you ask me, one thing sailing doesn't suffer from is over exposure to the public.  Just my 2 cents and a bit of a thread drift though...

A truly  amazing interview  from Dwitt  who has given some crackers in the past 

cant imagine the owners who have believed the  Witt hype will be happy  

it obviously got up Ramblers nose  talking of which maybe its  just all a bit of a snow  job  and its not the boat ?

results sadly seem to reflect the past non performance .

blaming the boat seems to be a bit harsh if you put the program and the mods together ??

will be interesting to see if Hobart is  now on the program . and who ??.. not much fun for anyone if yr  continuously losing 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9cr3gfll5E

1 hour ago, barfly said:

A truly  amazing interview  from Dwitt  who has given some crackers in the past 

cant imagine the owners who have believed the  Witt hype will be happy  

it obviously got up Ramblers nose  talking of which maybe its  just all a bit of a snow  job  and its not the boat ?

results sadly seem to reflect the past non performance .

blaming the boat seems to be a bit harsh if you put the program and the mods together ??

will be interesting to see if Hobart is  now on the program . and who ??.. not much fun for anyone if yr  continuously losing 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9cr3gfll5E

Yeah thought Witty was smarter than that? :D  Rambler was a new build purpose project whereas Scallywag is a bitzer. Take off the Elliot hull and glue on the Dovell hull off course limited by the deck design and other factors. I think Rambler at 100 feet would be on par with Comanche . Be interesting to know what beam Rambler would end up with if she was designed as a 100?

Gauging interest by the number of posts on SA (hardly scientific, I know), I find it surprising that the Sydney to Hobart has a bigger following than the Fastnet, considering the contrasting number of participants and variety of boats in two similar length coastal/offshore races.... or perhaps its just countless posts by a fewer number of subscribers that skews the statistics...

2 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

Gauging interest by the number of posts on SA (hardly scientific, I know), I find it surprising that the Sydney to Hobart has a bigger following than the Fastnet, considering the contrasting number of participants and variety of boats in two similar length coastal/offshore races.... or perhaps its just countless posts by a fewer number of subscribers that skews the statistics...

Well we don't have Channel 7 or Ricko/Wild Oats to bash for a start, so that does limit the content. :)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:

Generally the UK contingent on this site is pretty small or maybe they just don’t tell me where they are hanging out...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Snowden said:

Generally the UK contingent on this site is pretty small or maybe they just don’t tell me where they are hanging out...

You may find them in the 90+ page thread “Brexit WTF” in SA. I get the feeling they’ve been too preoccupied with the end of the world over there to discuss boats lately.

22 minutes ago, Psycho Tiller said:

You may find them in the 90+ page thread “Brexit WTF” in SA. I get the feeling they’ve been too preoccupied with the end of the world over there to discuss boats lately.

There's no guarantee that the EU contingent will even be able to race the next one. Would be a shame if the legacy, like the Mini class, ends up leaving from France instead of UK.

25 minutes ago, Miffy said:

There's no guarantee that the EU contingent will even be able to race the next one.

?

1 hour ago, spyderpig said:

?

I don't want to turn it into a B thread. But folks with boats outside of the EU and bring it into the EU deal with temporary import/customs/VAT relief. But it is relatively straightforward and consistent. 

Right now - who can honestly forecast what will happen in the future? If your boat was acquired after whatever scheme in the future is adopted, VAT paid to EU member (excluding UK) will it get credit? What about future purchases? Can you imagine the bureaucracy having to figure out all the edge cases?  A lot of the coastal events & classics have been made easier and accessible - fewer local restrictions, special SOLA requirements, etc. 

It can get bad. 

Miffy, whatever you are trying to say, I can guarantee you that the Brexit clusterfuck will not directly impact foreign participation in the Fastnet Race, whatsoever.

• Like 3

The Sydney to Hobart gets more online traction is because it's in the dead of Northern Hemisphere winter, at the end of a holiday spurt and 70% of the world's population is going stir crazy. The Fastnet runs during the last days before European holidays kick in and everyone is busy prepping for those.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Miffy said:

There's no guarantee that the EU contingent will even be able to race the next one. Would be a shame if the legacy, like the Mini class, ends up leaving from France instead of UK.

WTF are you talking about?? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Miffy said:

I don't want to turn it into a B thread. But folks with boats outside of the EU and bring it into the EU deal with temporary import/customs/VAT relief. But it is relatively straightforward and consistent. 

Right now - who can honestly forecast what will happen in the future? If your boat was acquired after whatever scheme in the future is adopted, VAT paid to EU member (excluding UK) will it get credit? What about future purchases? Can you imagine the bureaucracy having to figure out all the edge cases?  A lot of the coastal events & classics have been made easier and accessible - fewer local restrictions, special SOLA requirements, etc. 

It can get bad. 

It’s a visiting vessel ffs! Get a grip. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:

Might be because the Hobart has more cheats so more to talk about.

Hang on forgot about French IRC ratings

Sorry

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Yeah thought Witty was smarter than that? :D  Rambler was a new build purpose project whereas Scallywag is a bitzer. Take off the Elliot hull and glue on the Dovell hull off course limited by the deck design and other factors. I think Rambler at 100 feet would be on par with Comanche . Be interesting to know what beam Rambler would end up with if she was designed as a 100?

Your first mistake was thinking Witty is smart.

That was the interview of a man who's just had his arse handed to him by a boat 12ft short, almost got beaten by a boat 30ft shorter across the Atlantic about a month ago, fucked their Carribean campaign and a $300k mainsail on the start line of the first race in that regatta, and now has to go tell the owner that all the money he's just spent on a new keep plus other mods they've done to the boat haven't helped and will most likely need to spend even more to try and be anything other than 4th (maybe 5th) on line honours in the upcoming Hobart.

He's probably starting to worry that he isnt far off having to find another wealthy owner to fleece and leech off to maintain his lifestyle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Your first mistake was thinking Witty is smart.

That was the interview of a man who's just had his arse handed to him by a boat 12ft short, almost got beaten by a boat 30ft shorter across the Atlantic about a month ago, fucked their Carribean campaign and a $300k mainsail on the start line of the first race in that regatta, and now has to go tell the owner that all the money he's just spent on a new keep plus other mods they've done to the boat haven't helped and will most likely need to spend even more to try and be anything other than 4th (maybe 5th) on line honours in the upcoming Hobart.

He's probably starting to worry that he isnt far off having to find another wealthy owner to fleece and leech off to maintain his lifestyle.

18 minutes ago, DtM said:

Harsh but true.

Just an honest appraisal. 

Spare a thought for the boats that are still out there, the likes of Agamemnon with DTF of 177Nm doing 2.4Kts, while all the boats near the Scillies and the Lizard are doing less than 0.5kts.  Several boats are predicted to be out there until 9th Aug.  Good perseverance.

• Like 2

I was having a few sombre moments this week thinking of the fun we had (?*&?!%##@%!!!!) in the 1979 one.  Holy buggery, was that 40 years ago?  I feel ancient.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

3 hours ago, DtM said:

Harsh but true.

3 hours ago, mad said:

Just an honest appraisal. 

Harsh and not true, and not honest, as it seems to be born out of envy and hate.

Do you realize that Witty did an absolute gruelling Volvo campaign, and was pretty much burned out when I saw him at the finish in The Hague? He then almost immediately had to get this Scallywag ready for the S2H, get new sails, break stuff and immediately ship it to the US, do the Antigua week, a transatlantic, and then the Fastnet, and now move to the Med. Meanwhile they also acquired and raced the Orma 60, and are also looking into the Imoca 60 for the TOR. And I believe he, and don't forget his team and PBO in all this, set up a sailing foundation for under privileged kids in Hong Kong.

Calling that job "to fleece and leech off (the owner) to maintain his lifestyle." is just ridiculous and actually highly offensive to him and actually to all hardworking pro skippers.

Gorn, are you a pro sailor working for peanuts, or just a lake sailor, or just  a Jeerker Jerker? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Spare a thought for the boats that are still out there, the likes of Agamemnon with DTF of 177Nm doing 2.4Kts, while all the boats near the Scillies and the Lizard are doing less than 0.5kts.  Several boats are predicted to be out there until 9th Aug.  Good perseverance.

I have a friend on Grand Slam with 150nm still to go, could be a bumpy finish for them. Current forecast giving gusts to 45

Can anyone explain the divisions/classes in Fastnet? 

I see boat designs (e.g J109) spread across multiple divisions. 

12 hours ago, lydia said:

Hang on forgot about French IRC ratings

Ok this is the second reference to this in the past couple of days.. 

Please enlighten.... 

23 minutes ago, BoatSlut said:

Simple split based on IRC handicap ratings.

The J109s arent all in one design spec and so will have different ratings, if the 109 is near the cut off this might push them into different classes.

24 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Ok this is the second reference to this in the past couple of days.. 

Please enlighten.... 

There is a commonly held believe among a subset of the Solent yachting community that the IRC measurers in France and the French designers/yards might be....friendly.

I have no idea whether it's true or not. But plenty of people believe it.

9 minutes ago, Quagers said:

There is a commonly held believe among a subset of the Solent yachting community that the IRC measurers in France and the French designers/yards might be....friendly.

Its been talked about for at least 25 years  :ph34r:

15 hours ago, mad said:

It’s a visiting vessel ffs! Get a grip. 

Like the olden days.  Rock up, stick the Q flag up and hide the booze & fags, offer mr. Customs man a sherbert.

Imagine if they have a sherbert on a couple of 100 boats in Cows & Hamble prior to the Fastnet :lol:

Just now, Laser1 said:

Like the olden days.  Rock up, stick the Q flag up and hide the booze & fags, offer mr. Customs man a sherbert.

Imagine if they have a sherbert on a couple of 100 boats in Cows & Hamble prior to the Fastnet :lol:

In the old days you had to go and find them in the pub to let them know you wanted to clear. :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quagers said:

1 hour ago, mad said:

Its been talked about for at least 25 years  :ph34r:

Most measurers are beyond any suspicion, no matter what country they are from. They are also friendly, period. I may have seen some who did not search the boat for hidden weights, or did not check the mainsail when it was raining, but that is not necessarily their task. That are the owners and/or their representatives who are cheating, and that happens in all countries, but maybe in some more than others... I am not gone give you my personal list of worst countries, but I can tell you the frogs are not very high on that list.

So in short, it's ok to make fun of the frogs, but totally unfair to take it seriously, and it's all sour grapes anyway.

On 8/7/2019 at 7:58 AM, Psycho Tiller said:

IRC 2 first place a JPK 1180, 3 out of 4 top places are JPK's. 
IRC 3 1st place a JPK 1030, 6 out of the top 7 places are JPK's.
IRC 4 1st place a JPK 1010 and 5 out of the top 8 boats are JPK's

Fairly certain these are the finish results this time and not to the rock (I may be dumb but not unteachable! :D).  My past incorrect reports of finishes is probably the reason why I haven't been contacted by the RC to handle PR.  I'll bet I'll still get access to SailGP before the ed though!   Especially when I tell them I have up to 150+ Facebook followers I reach daily and at least 5 of them care about sailing.  Joking aside, it's absurd SailGP is being so incredibly stingy about press passes.  They refused a local photographer and website publisher here in San Francisco access when they came through also.  Ridiculous if you ask me, one thing sailing doesn't suffer from is over exposure to the public.  Just my 2 cents and a bit of a thread drift though...

Jacques Valer (the designer) is an impressive guy. It is also the victory of pencil over computer as he does a lot of his designing from first principles.

5 hours ago, Quagers said:

Sour grapes!

The reality is that the French crews train regularly, keep optimising their boats, quite often at home they end up racing pros / semi pros (figaro and mini sailors), and there are even semi pro sailors who crew on Corinthian boats and that there are good designers who keep raising their game as the the competition between designers and yards is intense.

• Like 5

Tail enders in for a bit of a pasting tomorrow am. Fortunately on the beam. Hope they get to Plymouth okay.

Tail.jpg

7 hours ago, Quagers said:

Blaming ratings and measurements is also a convenient way to reason away a good ole fashioned ass kicking too.  Works great, I use it all the time and far less painful than looking in the mirror.  It simply defies the laws of physics for a boat that is inherently slower and with an unfair rating to beat a faster boat if the slower boat is sailed by a better crew.  Has never happened in the history of sailing.  Must be the rating. :blink:  (not directed at you Quagers, I get that you're just conveying what some think and not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with measuregeddon)

Most UK old salts seem to have some horror story about a friend of a friend’s boat that got impounded in Cherbourg due to having no VAT/RCD certificate. Not sure if there’s any truth in it though. 

2 hours ago, Laser1 said:

Tail enders in for a bit of a pasting tomorrow am. Fortunately on the beam. Hope they get to Plymouth okay.

There are worse boats for that kind of weather than a CO32!

3 hours ago, Snowden said:

Most UK old salts seem to have some horror story about a friend of a friend’s boat that got impounded in Cherbourg due to having no VAT/RCD certificate. Not sure if there’s any truth in it though. 

It is bollocks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Panoramix said:

Jacques Valer (the designer) is an impressive guy. It is also the victory of pencil over computer as he does a lot of his designing from first principles.

Just read on the JPK website Jacques Valer also designed the IRC 1 first place Milon 41 boat "L'Ange De Milon".  That makes him the designer of the first place boat in IRC 1,2,3 and 4.  Not bad for a guy with a pad of paper and pencil.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Psycho Tiller said:

Just read on the JPK website Jacques Valer also designed the IRC 1 first place Milon 41 boat "L'Ange De Milon".  That makes him the designer of the first place boat in IRC 1,2,3 and 4.  Not bad for a guy with a pad of paper and pencil.

I've never met him but the guy seems to be an interesting character. Initially he was working as an officer on super tankers and between shifts on boats he was working as an "amateur naval architect". He wasn't bad for an amateur as he designed the Alado, a formula 18 catamaran that was the boat to beat in the 90s, the boat was so good that Hobie bought him the rights (the future Hobie cat tiger). In the 90s there was also a prototype called "matamouf of recoucou" which was really good in IRC (CHS at the time!).

There is a detailed article in French about him : https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/industrie-nautique/chantiers/architecture-navale/jacques-valer-l-alchimiste-de-l-irc-1322aa34-14d7-be44-a40b-e08f8ed7cc8b

• Like 2

The last boat racing has just finished, Grand Slam,so a hearty congratulations to the crew for their perseverance

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cuffy said:

The last boat racing has just finished, Grand Slam,so a hearty congratulations to the crew for their perseverance

There's a special RORC trophy awarded to the last finisher, the "Galley Slave Trophy."  A giant wooden spoon which is won by the cook.

16 hours ago, Panoramix said:

I've never met him but the guy seems to be an interesting character. Initially he was working as an officer on super tankers and between shifts on boats he was working as an "amateur naval architect". He wasn't bad for an amateur as he designed the Alado, a formula 18 catamaran that was the boat to beat in the 90s, the boat was so good that Hobie bought him the rights (the future Hobie cat tiger). In the 90s there was also a prototype called "matamouf of recoucou" which was really good in IRC (CHS at the time!).

There is a detailed article in French about him : https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/industrie-nautique/chantiers/architecture-navale/jacques-valer-l-alchimiste-de-l-irc-1322aa34-14d7-be44-a40b-e08f8ed7cc8b

Can totally see why he & JP get along. Even if one isn't involved in IRC sailing or necessarily into the JPK market - just reading JP's journals re transquadra or various events/boat launchings - you can tell it is a small yard with a owner who is personally invested & feels for his boats & owners & also gives kudos to better sailors/even if they're on other boats. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cuffy said:

Cool Fact: The very same boat was also the only Div 4 competitor to finish in the horror 1979 Fastnet.

Admirable perseverance, much respect.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, P_Wop said:

There's a special RORC trophy awarded to the last finisher, the "Galley Slave Trophy."  A giant wooden spoon which is won by the cook.

Ooh is that the original wooden spoon?

On 8/8/2019 at 10:01 PM, cms said:

It is bollocks.

Not entirely. I know  one boat that was chained to the Dock in Brest for non-payment. They had not intended to stop, but had a Mayday situation. Called into Brest, and got chained to the Dock. 

British boat, Gibraltar registration. 

Took a week or so to get it sorted. 

This was about 7 or 8 years ago. 

3 minutes ago, Potter said:

Not entirely. I know  one boat that was chained to the Dock in Brest for non-payment. They had not intended to stop, but had a Mayday situation. Called into Brest, and got chained to the Dock. 

British boat, Gibraltar registration. 

Took a week or so to get it sorted. 

This was about 7 or 8 years ago. 

Gibraltar registration says it all. Probably without the correct people and passports to match the registration? In France, in summer, there are regular, mainly educational, checks made on the water by the Douanes, Affaires Maritimes and Gendarmerie Maritime. They generally ignore non French vessels unless something has piqued their curiosity. The check safety kit and permits, and, in season, quantities and sizes of fish and shellfish. With UK flag vessels they may ask to see registration and passport. VAT paid or not on UK flag vessels, not based in France, does not fall within what they are tasked with checking, and in not a French responsibility.

1 minute ago, cms said:

Gibraltar registration says it all. Probably without the correct people and passports to match the registration? In France, in summer, there are regular, mainly educational, checks made on the water by the Douanes, Affaires Maritimes and Gendarmerie Maritime. They generally ignore non French vessels unless something has piqued their curiosity. The check safety kit and permits, and, in season, quantities and sizes of fish and shellfish. With UK flag vessels they may ask to see registration and passport. VAT paid or not on UK flag vessels, not based in France, does not fall within what they are tasked with checking, and in not a French responsibility.

Crew and papers were all good. VAT was the issue. 

13 minutes ago, Potter said:

That can work both ways at present but will dissapear once th UK is out of the EU making visits for boats with suspect VAT status less problamatic. At present French boats purchased through their 50% VAT reduction scheme have had problems when visiting UK shores.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Miffy said:

Can totally see why he & JP get along. Even if one isn't involved in IRC sailing or necessarily into the JPK market - just reading JP's journals re transquadra or various events/boat launchings - you can tell it is a small yard with a owner who is personally invested & feels for his boats & owners & also gives kudos to better sailors/even if they're on other boats. 

Yes, JPK is special and those successes owe a lot to his personality.

Some 30 + years ago, we  were sponsoring a youngster, who was one of the top 5 sailboard racers in the world (Div II). His early maturity and practical attitude  was striking and I admired it. Quite unsurprisingly he quickly became the manufacturing honcho of one of the top builders in that class "Jaguar". With the demise of that company (and class) he, then, started JPK as a semi-custom board builder.

Nowadays when the big French brands are run by marketing "whizzs" and have to grant big distribution margins to fill their huge capacities, the time of smaller yards who build to the size of the market and aim to supply real sailors  with no-compromise boats has come. Quite logically he shines amongst these 2 or 3 yards. That he is the only IRC racer amongst the yard bosses obviously helps too.

I'm a fan .....

• Like 1

On 8/7/2019 at 2:22 PM, yl75 said:

Charal tour, before the fastnet start :

Thanks for the video.  Really interesting.  Early on he says the auto pilot sails the boat better than the helmsman.  Reminded me of my Air Force pilot cousin telling me years ago pilots can't react fast enough to fly fighter jets.  Never thought sailing would reach that point.  Then they show the nav station.  Looks like a blend of Formula One, NASA and something a garage genius cobbled together.

When foilers become common in the rest of the sailing world, Taylor Made will have their work cut out for them designing fenders.

On 8/8/2019 at 11:01 AM, Panoramix said:

The reality is that the French crews train regularly, keep optimising their boats, quite often at home they end up racing pros / semi pros (figaro and mini sailors), and there are even semi pro sailors who crew on Corinthian boats and that there are good designers who keep raising their game as the the competition between designers and yards is intense.

Plus they have the right amount of crazy needed to push the limits.

6 hours ago, Potter said:

What I said.… Because of non EU registry, they were asked to prove status. Gib registry generally means no VAT paid, so limited access to EU waters, time conditions etc. What they would have been after is whether an EU resident was the actual beneficial owner, and therefore abusing the system.

6 hours ago, spyderpig said:

That can work both ways at present but will dissapear once th UK is out of the EU making visits for boats with suspect VAT status less problamatic. At present French boats purchased through their 50% VAT reduction scheme have had problems when visiting UK shores.

Quote me an instance of a French flag vessel, on an LOA (French leasing scheme), being bothered by UK customs. Where the harder bit comes in, though I have yet to encounter this in UK, is that on change of ownership and flag to another EU nation, the local customs teams can be arsy about the lower rate of VAT paid. However, legally, there is no problem. Sold out of a lease, there is a VAT invoice from the French VAT registered bank or finance company and this 100% proves VAT paid status.

• Like 1

I know Wizard sailed really well to win overall on handicap. Though I was wondering a little about her handicap. 

The boat won the Caribbean 600 and the Transatlantic. Now the Fastnet by over 45 minutes on corrected time. Considering the weather conditions with the boats moving all the time and the size and competitiveness of the fleet I think that 45 minutes on corrected a bit too much. Certainly due for a cut if was playing at my golf club! 

I don't see anything wrong with the handicap. They sailed very, very well and the weather conditions really favored the big boats. They got a bit of luck the first night to stay in contact with Rambler and Scallywag - and kept in contact right up to the rock. Why are you surprised that a 70' boat finishing a 600nm race corrects out 45 minutes over two boats with much longer water lines when it finished within an hour on the clock?

If the wind gradient had been steady throughout the race, a lot of 40' boats finishing 24 hours after Rambler would have corrected out by a much bigger margin.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, winchfodder said:

I know Wizard sailed really well to win overall on handicap. Though I was wondering a little about her handicap. 

The boat won the Caribbean 600 and the Transatlantic. Now the Fastnet by over 45 minutes on corrected time. Considering the weather conditions with the boats moving all the time and the size and competitiveness of the fleet I think that 45 minutes on corrected a bit too much. Certainly due for a cut if was playing at my golf club! 

IRC is a MEASUREMENT RULE and not an arbitrary PHRF rating... there is no 'cut' because a boat is performing well...

• Like 1

That was the toughest Fastnet I've done since 2009 I think, at least in a J/109. From Plymouth to Fastnet Rock on one tack with a lot of slamming and constant drenching, the boat was still sodden throughout when we got it home on Friday. We had a lot of seasickness on the crew, though the beautiful stars, phosphorescence and dolphins at the Scillies were a lovely sight as I heaved my guts out, I think a number of 2h boats retired on the South Coast because they couldn't function. The way home from the rock was much more comfortable, running with the waves, and we had fun playing how close to a TSS corner can you get (boat record was 44m on the plotter).

On 8/1/2019 at 2:14 PM, Fiji Bitter said:

It would seem quite possible that if you are one of the smaller boats, that by the time you get to the Lizard one of those monster Ultimes comes charging down on you, with them only a little over an hour to go to the finish.

Would be somewhat disheartening...

This post was almost prophetic, I watched Macif and Gitana heading back to Plymouth at 30kts SOG while plodding towards Lizard. Not the first time either, same thing happened in 2011 when racing IRC4, and 2013 when we had to kindly ask Spindrift to piss off while they were on their way home.

On 8/8/2019 at 10:18 AM, BoatSlut said:

The J/109s especially were rating really varied, there were some with overlapping headsails, rating 1.020 ish, most with IRC optimised max size non-overlapping headsails, 1.005+, and a few with reduced size headsails and kites in IRC4. 

On 8/7/2019 at 12:20 PM, ALL@SEA said:

It's probably because with 300+ amateur boats most all the people in the UK who would be talking about it here are racing in the thing!

• Like 4

Brings back such lovely memories of beating across the Irish Sea, my high point on one trip was having someone throw up on the back of my head whilst pulling down a headsail! 

somethings I don’t miss, and that’s one of them. :P

• Like 1

On 8/4/2019 at 5:16 PM, yl75 said:

The TS42 (Guyader Gastronomie) is doing very well in MOCRA, in front of all bigger Dazcats.

The TS5 Amalia not so well (but much less trained crew most probably)

Apollo rates slower than Guyader. Guyader is sailed extremely well too. 

1 hour ago, mad said:

Brings back such lovely memories of beating across the Irish Sea, my high point on one trip was having someone throw up on the back of my head whilst pulling down a headsail! 

somethings I don’t miss, and that’s one of them. :P

Lovely memories indeed, of loosing the rig while leading the class, or being becalmed forever at the Scilly's.

One of my high points was thundering into the spinnaker of a well known English Admirals Cupper! They had not bagged it yet after the finish, and began pouring stiff ones straight away. Once I realized what I had done I quickly put it in the bag, got myself one more drink, and staggered onto the next boat.

Wonder what they said when that spi went up again. Where you there Mad?  :)

Were you the bastard in the bottom bunk that chundered into my seaboot just before I came on 0400 watch in the 1985 one? 

Yes, it was still warm, which was welcome on a cold night, but otherwise it was not so wonderful.

Not me Woopy, I was on dry land for that one, and never thundered at sea. Been swimming in it on not so dry land occasionally though.

And what about yourself, jenever can tell, isn't it. :o

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ASP said:

IRC is a MEASUREMENT RULE and not an arbitrary PHRF rating... there is no 'cut' because a boat is performing well...

It's certainly up there for dumbest post in the thread.

9 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Lovely memories indeed, of loosing the rig while leading the class, or being becalmed forever at the Scilly's.

One of my high points was thundering into the spinnaker of a well known English Admirals Cupper! They had not bagged it yet after the finish, and began pouring stiff ones straight away. Once I realized what I had done I quickly put it in the bag, got myself one more drink, and staggered onto the next boat.

Wonder what they said when that spi went up again. Where you there Mad?  :)

No I wasn't, but I do have vague memories of a this or a very similar story. :P

6 hours ago, savoir said:

CQS didn't show up this year.  Did they finally take the hint and retire it from racing ?

Last AIS location for CQS was in Palma Majorca on 28-10-2017.

It was located only 500m from where My Song was hauled out and binned. Maybe it suffered the same fate ;-)

I always felt sorry for the owner.  He must have dropped around $5m on Ingvall's little folly.

1 hour ago, savoir said:

I always felt sorry for the owner.  He must have dropped around $5m on Ingvall's little folly.

Why feel sorry? He's worth  £1.5 billion, so $5m would be like CQS, a drop in the ocean.

As he already owned the boat, it was perhaps worth a shot spending the loose change...

2 hours ago, hoppy said:

Why feel sorry? He's worth  £1.5 billion, so $5m would be like CQS, a drop in the ocean.

As he already owned the boat, it was perhaps worth a shot spending the loose change...

Still an expensive way to have a loss of face. 

7 hours ago, mad said:

Still an expensive way to have a loss of face. 

I don't think the Hintze lost face because its not his name who is most associated with the boat.. Ludde on the other hand probably hears muted chuckles every time he enters a yacht club...

giphy.gif

Is there any long format coverage yet?

Obviously there was at least one chopper & boat with good cameras, why the fuck are there only like 2min highlight clips?