Searched but couldn't find a thread, Hobart gets the banter rolling a year out why not the Fastnet 8 months out ;)

Entries opened and closed today, who's in?

closed after 4 min 37 sec

Interest in this race is down..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................by 13 seconds.

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 12.25.57 PM.png

The entry system sounds like a race within a race... Derek Saunders should get a trophy for winning...

Doing the AZAB this year. Why do the RORC insist in calling this coastal race an Offshore race?

43 minutes ago, spyderpig said:

Doing the AZAB this year. Why do the RORC insist in calling this coastal race an Offshore race?

Offshore I have no problem with (considering the Irish Sea leg is 75NM offfshore in the middle). Ocean is pushing it a bit. CYCA is also guilty of this - RSHYR doesn’t go into Bass Strait proper  

RKJ delights in calling the RORC the RCRC (where ‘C’ stands for coastal)

• Like 1

I did the round Britain and Ireland last year, one could argue that’s a coastal race too...

15 hours ago, spyderpig said:

Ask anyone who was there in 1979 if this is just a coastal race. Luckiest escape I ever had in all my sailing career.

• Like 1

Fastnet race 2019 - Individual crew places available with Performance Yacht Racing. Contact crew@performanceyachtracing.com

• Downvote 2

When the first Fastnet Race was held in 1925, and the RORC was established the same year, there really weren't any offshore or ocean races except for Bermuda and an occasional Atlantic one.  So I think we're quite justified in hanging onto the established names.  

And anyone who thinks the bit from Lands End to the Rock and back is coastal is delusional.  Sorry RKJ.  It can be the Atlantic in full measure, as we saw in 1979 and a bit in 1985.  1957 was no picnic either, with only 12 finishers out of 41 starters.  And in 2007, 75% of the fleet retired.

It's the Northern Hemisphere equivalent of the Bass Strait when things get nasty.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2019 at 4:55 PM, Snowden said:

RKJ delights in calling the RORC the RCRC (where ‘C’ stands for coastal)

You're right, and he is a lesser man for so doing.

Rather than rubbishing RORC with such snide comments, he should get behind it and help out; however, he prefers to promote himself and his commercial activities (Clipper Ventures).

On 1/8/2019 at 6:29 AM, JL92S said:

I did the round Britain and Ireland last year

Good on you! 

What's the rationale for limiting entries to 340? Safety and rescue concerns, or just traffic issues?

They’re busy trying to offer spots to high profile entries over the people who got in on time before they winnow down the list of punters to fit the 340 number. 

On 1/9/2019 at 5:49 PM, P_Wop said:

When the first Fastnet Race was held in 1925, and the RORC was established the same year, there really weren't any offshore or ocean races except for Bermuda and an occasional Atlantic one.  So I think we're quite justified in hanging onto the established names.  

And anyone who thinks the bit from Lands End to the Rock and back is coastal is delusional.  Sorry RKJ.  It can be the Atlantic in full measure, as we saw in 1979 and a bit in 1985.  1957 was no picnic either, with only 12 finishers out of 41 starters.  And in 2007, 75% of the fleet retired.

It's the Northern Hemisphere equivalent of the Bass Strait when things get nasty.

Never quite sure why people hold RKJ up as high as they do. Highly overrated. 

5 hours ago, jackolantern said:

They’re busy trying to offer spots to high profile entries over the people who got in on time before they winnow down the list of punters to fit the 340 number. 

Good point..

Maybe the RORC should speak to the CYCA about how to limit entries so there are always spots available for high profile entries. ;)

Perhaps it would be better if the RORC offered 300 entry spots and held onto 40 "wild card" entries that they give out at their discretion up until close to the race date.

13 hours ago, mad said:

Never quite sure why people hold RKJ up as high as they do. Highly overrated. 

Why? I’m as iconoclastic as they come but I rather like him. 

I know a few boats (including us) who've been confirmed and are now shoring up qualification plans, its possible they've not made it down the entire list yet! They do give RORC members priority over everyone else.

2 years ago it was 300 + special guests (IMOCAs and MOD 70s) so they do keep some extra capacity for the rockstars outside the entry limit.

3 hours ago, JonRowe said:

I know a few boats (including us) who've been confirmed and are now shoring up qualification plans, its possible they've not made it down the entire list yet! They do give RORC members priority over everyone else.

2 years ago it was 300 + special guests (IMOCAs and MOD 70s) so they do keep some extra capacity for the rockstars outside the entry limit.

What boat is "us"?

Are you taking a boat over or crewing on a local boat?

Oh heh, should probably update my SA location,  local boat, moved back to the UK for a bit

On 1/20/2019 at 8:58 PM, TheDragon said:

What's the rationale for limiting entries to 340? Safety and rescue concerns, or just traffic issues?

Initially it was a limitation on Tracker device availability - but that was quite some time ago when electronics were orders of magnitude more expensive. 

Now, I believe it is more to do with the Logistics of being able to berth all the boats on arrival at Plymouth. Not many of the entries would originate from there.

I am sure there will be other factors in play as well. Resticting numbers increases its exclusivity/desirability and that is not a bad thing for attracting and retaining sponsors. Besides when comparing other major serious races - 340 is not a small spectacle.