Monkey

For those that mock the great lakes

Recommended Posts

Every now and and then, people like to make fun of the Great Lakes as not being all that scary. I offer Exhibit A. An entire lighthouse was knocked off a pier this morning 20 miles from my harbor. 

Edit:  photo credit goes to Ann Barbeau who nailed the “right place at the right time!”

387AD2AD-2A0F-4853-BCBB-C3DAA2DA6A36.jpeg

B656C721-8FEF-495F-BF0C-320EEDB56E6E.jpeg

9F773F7E-4673-4339-9847-77562EC13C2A.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcToPxCavF0VNAJyH2V3PK6

[grin] is this about the great lakes puny waves, or about the lack of lighthouse structural survey and maintenance ? [\grin]

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Albatros said:

[grin] is this about the great lakes puny waves, or about the lack of lighthouse structural survey and maintenance ? [\grin]

Well...  to be fair, this is the local lighthouse. It’s roughly 70 feet tall. 

50F56129-3CA0-4FCC-BF91-48AE8B6BA7D9.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

only one thing to say.

 

Brrrr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

only one thing to say.

 

Brrrr

Nah. It was a nice day. High 30’s/low 40’s all day!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The great lakes are actually more like small inland seas.  There are thousands of boats (ships) on the bottom that thought it wont be so bad......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Monkey said:

Every now and and then, people like to make fun of the Great Lakes as not being all that scary. I offer Exhibit A. An entire lighthouse was knocked off a pier this morning 20 miles from my harbor. 

Edit:  photo credit goes to Ann Barbeau who nailed the “right place at the right time!”

387AD2AD-2A0F-4853-BCBB-C3DAA2DA6A36.jpeg

B656C721-8FEF-495F-BF0C-320EEDB56E6E.jpeg

9F773F7E-4673-4339-9847-77562EC13C2A.jpeg

Nice, big-ass wave, but just not a lighthouse.  It's a beacon.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Nice, big-ass wave, but just not a lighthouse.  It's a beacon.  

Good call. The lighthouse is on the other breakwall. Sometimes my brain’s a little foggy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Nice, big-ass wave, but just not a lighthouse.  It's a beacon.  

You must be wrong. I read it was a lighthouse on Yahoo news. They’re never wrong 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Maybe just build a line of lighthouses on our southern border instead of a wall. 

Triggered!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You must be wrong. I read it was a lighthouse on Yahoo news. They’re never wrong 



Exactly !!!!  Everyone knows it can't be on the internet if it isn't true !!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, in that location a lighthouse is just wrong.  Need a heavyhouse at minimum.  I'll be here all week.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, crankcall said:

The great lakes are actually more like small inland seas.  There are thousands of boats (ships) on the bottom that thought it wont be so bad......

I will just leave this here..

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vST6hVRj2A

 

Rip the fitz


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, shaggy said:

I will just leave this here..

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vST6hVRj2A

  

Rip the fitz

 

Copying and pasting that URL, I get :

 

This page isn't available. Sorry about that.

Try searching for something else.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Copying and pasting that URL, I get :

 

This page isn't available. Sorry about that.

Try searching for something else.

 

well that just sucks.  try this one.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rarely have lyrics captured a feeling better than:

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats nothing. When I was a little boy I used to have to walk to school every day in waves bigger'n that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This from the Milwaukee NBC news affiliate. 

Given their understanding of how waves are created, I have a whole new level of confidence in their forecasting of other weather events ;)

image.thumb.png.68fa76159103db720e0333e613564ff2.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Great Lakes are actually inland seas. The only difference is the saltiness of the waters. With ships like the Edmund Fitzgerald and untold others snapped in two by huge waves, one can't believe people would scoff at these bodies of water. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KC375 said:

Rarely have lyrics captured a feeling better than:

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?

 

That song defines the word "mournful".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am continually amazed at how dumbed down the TV weather people are getting. I guess they are chosen to match the viewers these days.

 

I like this one better

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2019 at 8:37 PM, Plausible said:

ask Ted Turner.........

“Ted’s Excellent Adventure in the Chicago-Mackinac Race” :

Quote

The story delivers its lesson so perfectly that some might suspect the tale is apocryphal or at least enhanced as manytimes- told sailors’ yarns tend to be. But not so. Its veracity is confirmed by reliable witnesses, including Bruce Kirby, former Olympic sailor, designer of the Laser and other admirable sailing craft and one-time newspaper reporter. 

Kirby was a member of the crew of Ted Turner’s 12-Meter American Eagle in the 1970 Chicago-Mackinac race. Turner, the reigning celebrity sailor of the era, was the center of attention in Chicago before the race and, as was his wont, had a lot to say, including, “Yeah, I’m really scared.” This, according to Kirby, was his mocking response to a local sailor’s warning that Lake Michigan could turn nasty in a hurry. 

It was Turner’s first Chicago-Mackinac race, and it would prove to be one of the roughest in history. Halfway up the course, Eagle collided with a ferocious weather front with conditions not unlike today’s forecast (though with somewhat smaller waves). Sustained north winds recorded at more than 60 knots shredded Eagle’s sail inventory (she was down to one usable sail) and steep seas abused the crew and the wooden boat mercilessly. 

In the midst of the mayhem, Kirby shouted to Turner, “What do you think of lake sailing now?” Turner shouted back, “I hereby publicly retract anything and everything I have ever said about inland sailing.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

question for all you hydrodynamicists out there: when the wind sets up like that perpendicular to the coastline does it create an undertow or does the water build and create rip currents instead? I guess what I’m trying to get at is if there is an inversion layer somewhere close to the surface where water with a heavier density prevents certain types of exit/relief current setups?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“...But I told that kid a hundred times don’t take the lakes for granted / They go from calm to a hundred knots so fast they seem enchanted...”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald made me respect the great lakes even though I've never been near any except the Toronto waterfront. For humans, stories are the most powerful thing there is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Parma said:

question for all you hydrodynamicists out there: when the wind sets up like that perpendicular to the coastline does it create an undertow or does the water build and create rip currents instead? I guess what I’m trying to get at is if there is an inversion layer somewhere close to the surface where water with a heavier density prevents certain types of exit/relief current setups?

The coast in the picture is famous for rip currents; several drowned last year that I'm aware of.  There is so much mixing when the waves begin to feel bottom that there would not be any significant stratification.  Not sure I understand the phenomena you are discussing in any case.  (MS, Physical Oceanography)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now