Monkey

For those that mock the great lakes

Every now and and then, people like to make fun of the Great Lakes as not being all that scary. I offer Exhibit A. An entire lighthouse was knocked off a pier this morning 20 miles from my harbor. 

Edit:  photo credit goes to Ann Barbeau who nailed the “right place at the right time!”

387AD2AD-2A0F-4853-BCBB-C3DAA2DA6A36.jpeg

B656C721-8FEF-495F-BF0C-320EEDB56E6E.jpeg

9F773F7E-4673-4339-9847-77562EC13C2A.jpeg

• Like 1

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcToPxCavF0VNAJyH2V3PK6

[grin] is this about the great lakes puny waves, or about the lack of lighthouse structural survey and maintenance ? [\grin]

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Albatros said:

[grin] is this about the great lakes puny waves, or about the lack of lighthouse structural survey and maintenance ? [\grin]

Well...  to be fair, this is the local lighthouse. It’s roughly 70 feet tall. 

50F56129-3CA0-4FCC-BF91-48AE8B6BA7D9.jpeg

• Like 2

only one thing to say.

Brrrr

2 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

only one thing to say.

Brrrr

Nah. It was a nice day. High 30’s/low 40’s all day!

• Like 1

The great lakes are actually more like small inland seas.  There are thousands of boats (ships) on the bottom that thought it wont be so bad......

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

Every now and and then, people like to make fun of the Great Lakes as not being all that scary. I offer Exhibit A. An entire lighthouse was knocked off a pier this morning 20 miles from my harbor. 

Edit:  photo credit goes to Ann Barbeau who nailed the “right place at the right time!”

387AD2AD-2A0F-4853-BCBB-C3DAA2DA6A36.jpeg

B656C721-8FEF-495F-BF0C-320EEDB56E6E.jpeg

9F773F7E-4673-4339-9847-77562EC13C2A.jpeg

Nice, big-ass wave, but just not a lighthouse.  It's a beacon.  

10 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Good call. The lighthouse is on the other breakwall. Sometimes my brain’s a little foggy. 

11 hours ago, Left Shift said:

You must be wrong. I read it was a lighthouse on Yahoo news. They’re never wrong 

13 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Maybe just build a line of lighthouses on our southern border instead of a wall. 

Triggered!

You must be wrong. I read it was a lighthouse on Yahoo news. They’re never wrong 

Exactly !!!!  Everyone knows it can't be on the internet if it isn't true !!!!!

Well, in that location a lighthouse is just wrong.  Need a heavyhouse at minimum.  I'll be here all week.....

13 hours ago, crankcall said:

The great lakes are actually more like small inland seas.  There are thousands of boats (ships) on the bottom that thought it wont be so bad......

I will just leave this here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vST6hVRj2A

Rip the fitz

20 minutes ago, shaggy said:

I will just leave this here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vST6hVRj2A

Rip the fitz

Copying and pasting that URL, I get :

This page isn't available. Sorry about that.

Try searching for something else.

3 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Copying and pasting that URL, I get :

This page isn't available. Sorry about that.

Try searching for something else.

well that just sucks.  try this one.

• Like 1

Rarely have lyrics captured a feeling better than:

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?

• Like 1

Thats nothing. When I was a little boy I used to have to walk to school every day in waves bigger'n that.

This from the Milwaukee NBC news affiliate. 

Given their understanding of how waves are created, I have a whole new level of confidence in their forecasting of other weather events ;)

image.thumb.png.68fa76159103db720e0333e613564ff2.png

The Great Lakes are actually inland seas. The only difference is the saltiness of the waters. With ships like the Edmund Fitzgerald and untold others snapped in two by huge waves, one can't believe people would scoff at these bodies of water. 

2 hours ago, KC375 said:

Rarely have lyrics captured a feeling better than:

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?

That song defines the word "mournful".

I am continually amazed at how dumbed down the TV weather people are getting. I guess they are chosen to match the viewers these days.

I like this one better

• Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 8:37 PM, Plausible said:

ask Ted Turner.........

“Ted’s Excellent Adventure in the Chicago-Mackinac Race” :

The story delivers its lesson so perfectly that some might suspect the tale is apocryphal or at least enhanced as manytimes- told sailors’ yarns tend to be. But not so. Its veracity is confirmed by reliable witnesses, including Bruce Kirby, former Olympic sailor, designer of the Laser and other admirable sailing craft and one-time newspaper reporter. 

Kirby was a member of the crew of Ted Turner’s 12-Meter American Eagle in the 1970 Chicago-Mackinac race. Turner, the reigning celebrity sailor of the era, was the center of attention in Chicago before the race and, as was his wont, had a lot to say, including, “Yeah, I’m really scared.” This, according to Kirby, was his mocking response to a local sailor’s warning that Lake Michigan could turn nasty in a hurry. 

It was Turner’s first Chicago-Mackinac race, and it would prove to be one of the roughest in history. Halfway up the course, Eagle collided with a ferocious weather front with conditions not unlike today’s forecast (though with somewhat smaller waves). Sustained north winds recorded at more than 60 knots shredded Eagle’s sail inventory (she was down to one usable sail) and steep seas abused the crew and the wooden boat mercilessly. 

In the midst of the mayhem, Kirby shouted to Turner, “What do you think of lake sailing now?” Turner shouted back, “I hereby publicly retract anything and everything I have ever said about inland sailing.”

question for all you hydrodynamicists out there: when the wind sets up like that perpendicular to the coastline does it create an undertow or does the water build and create rip currents instead? I guess what I’m trying to get at is if there is an inversion layer somewhere close to the surface where water with a heavier density prevents certain types of exit/relief current setups?

“...But I told that kid a hundred times don’t take the lakes for granted / They go from calm to a hundred knots so fast they seem enchanted...”

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald made me respect the great lakes even though I've never been near any except the Toronto waterfront. For humans, stories are the most powerful thing there is.

21 hours ago, Parma said:

question for all you hydrodynamicists out there: when the wind sets up like that perpendicular to the coastline does it create an undertow or does the water build and create rip currents instead? I guess what I’m trying to get at is if there is an inversion layer somewhere close to the surface where water with a heavier density prevents certain types of exit/relief current setups?

The coast in the picture is famous for rip currents; several drowned last year that I'm aware of.  There is so much mixing when the waves begin to feel bottom that there would not be any significant stratification.  Not sure I understand the phenomena you are discussing in any case.  (MS, Physical Oceanography)