Dirty Oar

Catalina 27

Ok ok ok just what the world needs right? Another catalina 27 post!!!

Probably the boat with the most questions asked and undoubtedly the most comon sailboat in any marina...

That is why I am doing this project.... 

Its a boat anybody can afford, parts and sails are cheap and readily available and I started with a blank canvas, and id like to illustrate how a generic nothing special beer can racer/cruiser can be upgraded into something a little beefier for adventuring, and if I dare say, near shore cruising

Bought my tall rig for 1000$ and have since totally gutted it and have rebuilt this boat from the keel up, im not quite done but being an employee of a boatyard, I have every tool and option available to outfit this boat any way id like. Been a diesel mechanic, commercoal fisherman and boat builder for 16 years, so needless to say, I am not like the majority of catalina 27 owners who usually buy a c27 for a first boat to learn how to sail and develop crazy cruising plans while still practicing with the training wheels on... 

Here is what I have done to that boat this far....

Gutted interior, rebuilt all bulkheads (7 ply mahogany 1/2") main chainplate bulkheads have been doubled in thickness to 1" with 1/4 stainless straps both sides 1.5" thickness total, all deck hardware resealed, teak removed and resealed and refinished, Iverson dodger rebuilt and restitched and installed (came with boat), Edson binacle installed, Suzuki 15hp outboard installed, 3 burner propane range, dickinson proane heater, propane system installed, radar pole and jrc radar installed, liveaboard legal head installed with y valve, plan on resealing Windows, 6v golf cart battery bank with one group 27 starting battery for motor, solar panel, battery charger system, led interior lights, sound system, gps chart plotter and ais radio, backup vhf, epirb, plannining on an autopilot, reinforced traveler with larger bolts and backing  plates.....

im sure theres more as I have the time to take care of everything the right way....but thats what ive do e thus far

With all that bring said.... What would you guys add to this boat, what modifications would you make (and dont say sell it and get a different boat, thats defeating the purpose) 

Any structural modifcaion? Rigging? What am I missing here? 

Thinking its gonna be a good idea to make a hatch turtle for the main hatch, although that thing is huge, where I plan on going it would pay off...

Where do i plan on going? Alaska, from Washington... Im planning on going to one of the rainiest places in the world... Done it before on other peoples boats, 9 trips total, but being on a fishing boat we never stopped, just steamed 24/7 thru. My girlfriend has never sailed anywhere or been any further north than where we live, but she is a trooper and wants to go. We are backpackers, so, ultralight gear and living minimally comes to us second nature, plus we are genuinely bored, and want some adventure. Figure it would be worth ducumenting the adventure, showing how you can go cruising and spend less than 3500$ for a solid boat IF....big IF.... you know what you are doing

Any thoughts on beefing up the lower shrouds? Adding lower chainplates? Any thoughts on bow sprit reinforcement? Back stay reinforcements?

I'll have to take more... Those are old ones and not current, I've done a lot since then

39999743_1815588575228636_536104694129360896_o.jpg

40046947_1815589101895250_4258024044609142784_o.jpg

40106811_1815588471895313_3116516896627752960_o.jpg

40035452_1815589131895247_3256899775303254016_o.jpg

39974483_1813629188757908_9135783020735758336_o.jpg

39993695_1815591871894973_5872580213421899776_o.jpg

39958352_1813625165424977_8032120319953076224_o.jpg

39944427_1813619582092202_6544451486657544192_o.jpg

Get rid of that stupid wheel. 15hp outboard won't be able to kick up through the slot if it's mounted in the well, so yeah, either major transom surgery or it's hanging off the back and less than ideal (to put it lightly).

• Like 1

Sounds like you're sorting the boat.  I think Rigging would be on the list;

Inspect all standing rigging, replace as necessary - maybe just replace anyway.

Get a decent set of sails. 

Got Roller Furling? - much debate on this, but for a short crew, it's mighty handy. 

Set up single line reefing so you can shorten the main from the cockpit.

Make sure the engine is up to snuff.

Many years ago, entering Benton Harbor on a C27, the engine fouled the plugs yet again, and died about 50 feet from the dock.... the skipper pulled the cover off the OB, and waved it around to the marina, shouting "It's a Chrysler!  It's a piece of Junk!  Don't get a Chrysler!"... while we slowly drifted into port. 

Frank Butler was a God of fun-for-the-buck.  

Losing the wheel will give you some nice real estate back, is more simple, sails better and puts the driver in a better location.

You're on the right track,  keep chipping away at the fundamentals (structural attachment of bulkheads and hardware) and KEEP IT SIMPLE.

In the transom, need to glass up the limber holes to keep water from ending up in the cockpit.... Outboard on the bracket means hobby horsing. 

Only downside is i cant tilt my motor because of the well being too small, the motor bigger than it needs to be (but will be amazing when it comes to fighting tides), and having the binacle, control cables are mounted to the boat... Kind of a home made setup but its what i got to work with....reason why I went with a Suzuki is because of where the water pickup is for the pump, it draws water from under the cav plate, so water wont get forced up the motor when sailing, and frankly I doubt motor up or down will matter, the rudder is so damned thick to begin with

20190108_131328.jpg

20190108_131354.jpg

Yes, I would lose the wheel in a hurry. Cockpit was not designed for it and it's just unnecessary complexity.  Also check every place hardware has been mounted on the deck.  Much of the deck is plywood cored and susceptible  to failure. 

• Downvote 1

Kicking up the motor makes a huge difference in performance to a boat that needs all the help it can get. I would swap out the Suzuki for the 2-stroke Johnson the well was designed for. Get a remote control setup for it while you're at it.

For standing rigging, Catalina Direct will sell you a whole kit with swages at one end and mechanical terminals (Norseman when I did it, might be different now) to put on the other end. That way you can cut them to length with the old shrouds on hand.

Upside to the Suzuki 2 stroke is parts are cheap, can get a couple carburators and a spare lower unit, he'll, can even get a spare running motor for 500$ on craigslist and take a backup motor with me. 

51 minutes ago, fucket said:

Kicking up the motor makes a huge difference in performance to a boat that needs all the help it can get. I would swap out the Suzuki for the 2-stroke Johnson the well was designed for. Get a remote control setup for it while you're at it.

For standing rigging, Catalina Direct will sell you a whole kit with swages at one end and mechanical terminals (Norseman when I did it, might be different now) to put on the other end. That way you can cut them to length with the old shrouds on hand.

Tell me more about that johnson motor

Honestly though I kind of like the wheel steering... 

The old johnson sailmaster 9.9 fits in there pretty good, same with the old Evinrudes. I didn't realize that Suzuki was a 2-stroke. I think you could get that motor to tilt up pretty good with just minor surgery.

Oh yeah the sailmasters are great, really really hard to find around my area though. Alot of the 2 stroke stuff is gone nowadays....aint like it was....

Reason why my motor wont tilt beyond the well being too small is the teleflex cables for the motor controls at the helm. Mounted the cables to the boat itself.... The geometry was a nightmare.to figure out foe the throttle and shift linkage

I've only sailed one once many years ago, and found it quite tender - it had a lot of trouble carrying even its minimal sail area in any sort of breeze.  Anything you can do to make it a bit better upwind in breeze would make it a lot more user-friendly.  Switch to smaller line for the halyards, get flatter sails, make sure your outhaul can really flatten the foot of the main, add a shoe to the keel, that sort of thing.  It looks like it has a decent backstay tensioner, so that will help.

There was a turbo-Catalina 27 racing in Vancouver for a while.  It did well in light winds.

And add another vote for ditching the wheel.  

I'd just do motor mounted controls and a tiller.  It's so much simpler and lighter.

My first boat was a Catalina 25 tall mast.  The engine's lower unit and prop adds a lot of drag, you really want to get it out of the water.  You need light air sailing performance area in Washington or you'll be motoring everywhere.  The Catalina 25 actually wasn't awful in light air, and I'm guessing the 27 isn't either.

Various production years had big problems with aft lower shrouds attachment points. IIRC many were just padeyes bolted to deck, nothing underneath supporting the deck. Cast masthead assembly's were prone to developing cracks.

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Dirty Oar said:

Ok ok ok just what the world needs right? Another catalina 27 post!!!

Probably the boat with the most questions asked and undoubtedly the most comon sailboat in any marina...

That is why I am doing this project.... 

Its a boat anybody can afford, parts and sails are cheap and readily available and I started with a blank canvas, and id like to illustrate how a generic nothing special beer can racer/cruiser can be upgraded into something a little beefier for adventuring, and if I dare say, near shore cruising

Bought my tall rig for 1000$ and have since totally gutted it and have rebuilt this boat from the keel up, im not quite done but being an employee of a boatyard, I have every tool and option available to outfit this boat any way id like. Been a diesel mechanic, commercoal fisherman and boat builder for 16 years, so needless to say, I am not like the majority of catalina 27 owners who usually buy a c27 for a first boat to learn how to sail and develop crazy cruising plans while still practicing with the training wheels on... 

Here is what I have done to that boat this far....

Gutted interior, rebuilt all bulkheads (7 ply mahogany 1/2") main chainplate bulkheads have been doubled in thickness to 1" with 1/4 stainless straps both sides 1.5" thickness total, all deck hardware resealed, teak removed and resealed and refinished, Iverson dodger rebuilt and restitched and installed (came with boat), Edson binacle installed, Suzuki 15hp outboard installed, 3 burner propane range, dickinson proane heater, propane system installed, radar pole and jrc radar installed, liveaboard legal head installed with y valve, plan on resealing Windows, 6v golf cart battery bank with one group 27 starting battery for motor, solar panel, battery charger system, led interior lights, sound system, gps chart plotter and ais radio, backup vhf, epirb, plannining on an autopilot, reinforced traveler with larger bolts and backing  plates.....

im sure theres more as I have the time to take care of everything the right way....but thats what ive do e thus far

With all that bring said.... What would you guys add to this boat, what modifications would you make (and dont say sell it and get a different boat, thats defeating the purpose) 

Any structural modifcaion? Rigging? What am I missing here? 

Thinking its gonna be a good idea to make a hatch turtle for the main hatch, although that thing is huge, where I plan on going it would pay off...

Where do i plan on going? Alaska, from Washington... Im planning on going to one of the rainiest places in the world... Done it before on other peoples boats, 9 trips total, but being on a fishing boat we never stopped, just steamed 24/7 thru. My girlfriend has never sailed anywhere or been any further north than where we live, but she is a trooper and wants to go. We are backpackers, so, ultralight gear and living minimally comes to us second nature, plus we are genuinely bored, and want some adventure. Figure it would be worth ducumenting the adventure, showing how you can go cruising and spend less than 3500$ for a solid boat IF....big IF.... you know what you are doing

Any thoughts on beefing up the lower shrouds? Adding lower chainplates? Any thoughts on bow sprit reinforcement? Back stay reinforcements?

C27 decks tend to be soft, check that carefully. Also the mast step. Since the chain plates are in the wet locker and head wall, there isn’t much you can do except for backing plates on both sides. Older rigs used a casting for the lower shroud/spreader connection, have seen those fail. Back stay is good, you shouldn’t need to do anything. They are tough little boats, have fun.

2 hours ago, longy said:

Various production years had big problems with aft lower shrouds attachment points. IIRC many were just padeyes bolted to deck, nothing underneath supporting the deck. Cast masthead assembly's were prone to developing cracks.

What hull number?  As said, early boats had lower shrouds tied to the deck. You may want to talk to The owner’s association about fabricating a bracket/knee to tie the load to a bulkhead as I’ve seen decks with pronounced “lift” as the got old. 

Good, reasonably solid boat that got better as production went along. Decent light air performance. A bit chubby to do all that well upwind in chop. Getting the motor to tilt is a big improvement in performance and count me in the ditch the wheel. I understand a wheel in a cruiser and it’s helpful for newbies but that boat “needs” a tiller. 

Reinforce the transom. In laws 27 got fucking dodgy there on us once on a coastal trip...

1 hour ago, Innocent Bystander said:

What hull number?  As said, early boats had lower shrouds tied to the deck. You may want to talk to The owner’s association about fabricating a bracket/knee to tie the load to a bulkhead as I’ve seen decks with pronounced “lift” as the got old. 

Good, reasonably solid boat that got better as production went along. Decent light air performance. A bit chubby to do all that well upwind in chop. Getting the motor to tilt is a big improvement in performance and count me in the ditch the wheel. I understand a wheel in a cruiser and it’s helpful for newbies but that boat “needs” a tiller. 

Dont know the number but its a 1978 tall rig.

Trust me, if there is something to reinforce, its going to be done with 1"2 inch solid mahogany with a 2 inch wide 1/4 inch thick strip of 316 stainless steel. 

Overkill is not a word in my vocabulary.

As a boat mechanic and commercial fisherman, having something break isnt an option. 

I have been in seas most of you would have nightmares about.... 45 foot waves, 110mph winds....50 below zero, the dead of winter.... Crab fishing on the Bering Sea taught me how to stay safe on a boat, and i know nothing should be overlooked, and when in doubt, beef the fuck out of it

I figure for sails id get a sail called a Generator, its like a chute/code zero but it only needs a halyard and no hanks or need to fuel, clip it to the bow and hang it high...

That, a storm jib, 

My main has 2 reefs, fully buttoned, jib is like new

Story with my boat is a guy built bis dream C27, and the wife shit her pants cuz the boat leaned over too far and decided she wanted a powerboat instead so it sat in the marina til the motor rotted off, then put in dry storage til the bulkheads rotted out. Has new sails, new cushions, somebody put alot of love I to that boat at one point.

Including purchase price i MIGHT have 2000$ into this boat

Ive had 17. Boats and never ever have spent more than 1000$. Mostly had small bpats6, san juan 21s, cal 20s, hobies, cared more about "sail what ya got" and "fuck it, lets go" this will be the first boat that I will insure and actually pay moorage for...

Ive kept boats in marinas but takes 3 months before they chain em to the dock so i usually just sell what I got to a buddy for face value minus fees... Most of the time I own a trailer and keep my boat at home, and that might be in the future but my goal is to have a boat ready to safely and confidently cruise to Alaska for 3500$, and have it to industry and ABYC standards and insurable. 

Hell my last 3 boats I never even bothered to register.... Would paint em primer grey and no shits given... Even juked a coastguard patrol boat investigating a trail of beer and wine bottles while sailing at night high on magic mushrooms...  Yo ho yo ho pirates life for me!!!!!!

8 hours ago, Editor said:

pictures please.

article-0-1FB3DBC500000578-807_634x392.j

6 hours ago, fucket said:

Get rid of that stupid wheel. 15hp outboard won't be able to kick up through the slot if it's mounted in the well, so yeah, either major transom surgery or it's hanging off the back and less than ideal (to put it lightly).

Gramps said way back when he put an air cooled DB inboard in his Olson 30 

I owned a 1980 outboard model for 10 years,  Between 1978 and 1980 Catalina added a full hatch box over the main hatch, really eliminated a lot of water coming below when solid water came aboard.  If you could find/make something like that it could be worthwhile where you are going.

i had the Evinrude 9.9 in the well, it tipped up.  I added a Morse remote throttle/shifter on the side of the port cockpit seat.  I could still tip the motor up.  I had a tiller and also think you would be happier with one. Again where you are going is cold and wet. Wouldn’t you like to be able to sit up under the dodger and steer with a tiller extension?   Have you checked the keel bolts and the keel/hull joint.  Apparently Catalina used plywood in the base of the stub, it could rot.   I never had a problem but my boat was 16 years old when I sold it. Yours is now 40.  I had a 130 headsail that was just about the perfect size IMO. A group 27 to start an outboard is more than you need. I used a 24 and never had a problem.  Under power upwind I would get a bit of engine exhaust in the cabin, finding its way in from the well.  I never did get after that.  Two stroke engines don’t get the best fuel economy, I think I had two six gallon cans, good for maybe 15 hours if I kept the rpms down.  Check the thru hulls.  Apparently Catalina used pipe nipples glassed in. Again I had no problems but your boat is older now. 

Have fun, I enjoyed sailing mine. 

2 hours ago, CruiserJim said:

Wouldn’t you like to be able to sit up under the dodger and steer with a tiller extension?  

This. With a reasonably sized tiller extension, you can steer from basically anywhere in the cockpit.

"Overkill is not a word in my vocabulary.

I'd caution against going overboard with this approach in a small SAILboat. While over-bracing will work in a fishing boat with a big motor, sailboats don't respond well to excess reinforcement because of the extra weight. Rather than using hardwood, can't you find some scrap C10 laying around the boatyard? 

11 hours ago, fucket said:

This. With a reasonably sized tiller extension, you can steer from basically anywhere in the cockpit.

Correct me if there is a better way, but im essentially going to be singlehanding while my crew member learns how a boat works, ive had her out twice before. Usually sounds like a disaster but ive dealt with alot of crew before and she has what it takes.... But follow me here... So, im sailing with a tiller... Something fowls on the bow and i gotta go up forward.... With a tiller you gotta just drop it and do your thing up front and correct the boat when you get back to the tiller.... With a wheel, cant you just just lock the wheel down and keep the boat going in the desired direction while futzing around ? 

1 minute ago, Dirty Oar said:

Correct me if there is a better way, but im essentially going to be singlehanding while my crew member learns how a boat works, ive had her out twice before. Usually sounds like a disaster but ive dealt with alot of crew before and she has what it takes.... But follow me here... So, im sailing with a tiller... Something fowls on the bow and i gotta go up forward.... With a tiller you gotta just drop it and do your thing up front and correct the boat when you get back to the tiller.... With a wheel, cant you just just lock the wheel down and keep the boat going in the desired direction while futzing around ? 

Depends on the balance of the boat and conditions.  IIRC, a Cat 27 doesn't balance all that perfectly. I would assume that you would add an autopilot of some variety, particularly for transits. In the situation you describe, setting the pilot or locking the tiller or wheel would be the right answer.  

Tiller is easier for that, you can hold it between your legs and still steer while reaching lines.  

You want an autopilot either way.

You can lock a tiller or wheel.

How much sailing have you done?

1 hour ago, Dirty Oar said:

People talk about "lashing the tiller," but there are these:  Just drop the extension handle in the lock box.  I've actually had one in the "to be installed" box for some time, but I generally use the tiller pilot for the same purpose, "live" or not.  

PICT0324.JPG

BTW, I see that your galley is very much like mine.  After living with it like that for several years, I'm in the process of changing it to something more like this:

Except with the gimbaled range in the middle.  And a grab bar.  It makes the port settee into more of a love seat than a berth, but my boat has plenty of other berths, so I think it's worth it..

1000495410_E31galley3.png.b7e3cb1462c5507c3e0cb7d828ff9898.png

2 hours ago, Alex W said:

Tiller is easier for that, you can hold it between your legs and still steer while reaching lines.  

You want an autopilot either way.

You can lock a tiller or wheel.

How much sailing have you done?

Plenty, grew up dinghy racing, raced FJs and v15s 505s laser 2s harbor 20s, hobies... Raced on a team all through high school, sailed plenty of races on a hobie 33, catalina 42, cat 27, santana 20... Owned a few cal 20s, sj21s, owned an ericson 30 and a santana 27 too, but mostly stuff that fits on a trailer, weekend booze cruises, maybe a few weeks at a whack... Sailed plenty but never really gone anywhere under sail, I have tens of thousands of miles on fishing boats, but not many via sail which is why I wanna go thru with this and to make a point that you can go long distance cruising for under 5000$ 

+1 on those saying you’ll want an autopilot. If the girlfriend’s a rookie, you’ll have to assume you can do everything solo. In rough weather, I wouldn’t trust locking the wheel and expecting it to stay on course long enough to reef. Also wouldn’t trust her to hold a course either. That’s not meant to insult her. It can be tough on a rookie when you throw in big waves, fog, cold, fatigue, etc. Get an autopilot. 

Edit:  I forgot to mention, I like what you’re doing. It’s always cool to see old boats bought cheap actually get fixed properly!

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

+1 on those saying you’ll want an autopilot. If the girlfriend’s a rookie, you’ll have to assume you can do everything solo. In rough weather, I wouldn’t trust locking the wheel and expecting it to stay on course long enough to reef. Also wouldn’t trust her to hold a course either. That’s not meant to insult her. It can be tough on a rookie when you throw in big waves, fog, cold, fatigue, etc. Get an autopilot. 

Edit:  I forgot to mention, I like what you’re doing. It’s always cool to see old boats bought cheap actually get fixed properly!

Yeah I want to be able to drive inside with the companion way hatch closed. 

Depending on where you are at, a computer with nobletec or globe or rosepoint, a good autopilot and a trusty radar is all you need... Went by west marine (worst marine) to talk to a buddy who works there and couldnt help to look at electronics and saw there is an AIS transceiver for 450$ now... I think you have to get some sort of radio lisence from the FCC to transmit ais, but having it is a godsend up in Alaska with all the commercial traffic.

The reality of Alaska is that 1) if its foggy it aint windy, 2) sometimes you gotta wait for the tide, and ride the tide when its favorable, whether that be 230AM or 445pm, a small underpowered boat is no match for those currents.... Ive been turned 180deg 3 times in different directions in an eddy and upwelling yet somehow defying physics was still going straight.... That was in a 58 foot purse seiner with a big ass supercharged Detroit diesel and huge reduction gear, and still got shoved around like we were a rubber ducky in a lesbians bathtub. But with that in mind I'm not going to gimbal my radar because if im dealing with waiting for tides and foggy conditons, I'm not going to be sailing.... Waiting for tides can mean driving at night, and unless winds are really favorable it's just going to be easier to motor.

I may have never sailed anywhere on my own boat but I have spent many years of my life navigating and operating  fishing boats from 32 to 106 (194 ton) foot, and I am getting bored with life.... I quit fishing because i did 10 seasons with no injury, and figure its best to quit while im ahead, that and 1/4 of thpse guys up there have a pill problem and im not gonna get killed by some bozo.

I need thrill and excitement so im rebuilding a derelict and gonna go on a batshit adventure and no shits given. I'm 30 with a great job I can take anywhere i go, Alaska is my seccond home anyway, and hate society so have no shame parking my truck and boxing everything up and disappearing. Even got a girlfriend who is a gourmet chef and cant get pregnant, and no pms! Its a win-win

IMO the AIS receiver and a good VHF is what you need.  Save the rest for other stuff more critical.  If it appears you can't avoid them they are close enough to call on VHF and you have their ID.  my .02 

Im going to do what it takes to get it in the water and start sailing this summer and drop the mast next winter... 

Somebody mentioned the mast cap and the spreader bases being faulty and weak and im considering removing them and going up to our local high school and talking to my old teacher about using the foundry and making new castings out of bronze or stainless too... Its the only foundry I know of in the area but if I gotta take it off the boat it's gonna get replaced 

My 2 cents re: these weaknesses everybody talks about: Inspect everything. If it looks reasonable, without any damage or cracks, forget it and sail.

A masthead casing is like $300 from Catalina Direct (which has almost everything you'd ever need for the boat). I don't know you, but that sounds like a deal compared to dicking around with a casting and a forge.

4 hours ago, toddster said:

People talk about "lashing the tiller," but there are these:  Just drop the extension handle in the lock box.  I've actually had one in the "to be installed" box for some time, but I generally use the tiller pilot for the same purpose, "live" or not.  

PICT0324.JPG

Slight change of topic: Can I ask where you got the lock box that allows you to have the tiller extension set into the side? Would love to get the same thing.

We have one of these Tiller Clutch guys on our tiller steered boat. http://www.wavefrontmarine.com/ 

Easy to engage/disengage, infinite and simple adjustment to balance the rudder to the sailing angle. Having used some of the other methods like that tiller extension pocket, I like this better. 

I have LOTS of time sailing my tiller steered Catalina 27 either solo or non sailing crew. Stand over the tiller and you can easily handle the jib sheets thru tacks and jibes. Plus with the tiller extension you can pretty much be anywhere in the cockpit and still steer.  Looks like you have a mid boom mainsheet.  Hard to reach that when you are stuck behind the wheel.  And with the outboard well it would be a major PITA to get around a wheel to futz with the motor. 

The drop in for the tiller extension pictured above is nice, but you can pretty much do the same with a bit of line or a bungee in a pinch.  But this or locking the wheel is only for very short stints unless you have lots of room ,no traffic and don’t really care where the boat turns.  Agree an AP is the way to go.  And here a tiller AP is about the simplest setup. 

Dont mean to beat this to death.  If you’ve got your heart set on the wheel, enjoy. 

4 hours ago, Dirty Oar said:

Yeah I want to be able to drive inside with the companion way hatch closed. 

Well, there is the problem of seeing forward.  People make bubble hatches and such for that.  But.

Madman Electronics autopilot remote.  It’s a keyfob you keep in your pocket that lets you tap the autopilot 1° or 10° Increments from anywhere you are. Love it.   

4 hours ago, mccroc said:

Slight change of topic: Can I ask where you got the lock box that allows you to have the tiller extension set into the side? Would love to get the same thing.

It’s a standard Forespar part.  Fits the knob on the end of Forespar tiller extensions.  Costs about 30 samolians, although I think I got all my pieces at the used parts chandlery for a bit less.  With a bit of ingenuity, you could make something similar for whatever stick you’ve got.  

• Like 1

I owned a 1976 Catalina 27 (Atomic 4 inboard version) and had a near-shore race issue halfway between Mazatlan and La Paz Mexico. With prolonged following seas, the aft lazarette (approx 20 gallons volume) filled through its 1-inch transom drain hole. Once filled, it continued and overflowed into the boat. At 3 am, my crew woke up to replace me on the helm and stepped into water at almost mid-knee depth over cabin sole. Took me awhile to find the source, plug the drain-hole and bail it dry.  My recommendation would be to simply seal closed the junction between the top lip of the lazarette and the aft deck.

4 hours ago, Mainsheeter said:

I owned a 1976 Catalina 27 (Atomic 4 inboard version) and had a near-shore race issue halfway between Mazatlan and La Paz Mexico. With prolonged following seas, the aft lazarette (approx 20 gallons volume) filled through its 1-inch transom drain hole. Once filled, it continued and overflowed into the boat. At 3 am, my crew woke up to replace me on the helm and stepped into water at almost mid-knee depth over cabin sole. Took me awhile to find the source, plug the drain-hole and bail it dry.  My recommendation would be to simply seal closed the junction between the top lip of the lazarette and the aft deck.

That is something i am also afraid of and plan on glassing up the lazarette to make it 100% sealed from the rest of the boat.

Im going to be using the laz for my propane locker and dont want propane to waft back into the cabin and need it sealed.... 

Ya know im building this boat with the intention of going to Alaska and am making it as solid as possible but washington gets pretty nasty in the fall and winter too, so, having a boat I dont have to worry about is money ahead 

my biggest beef with the cat 27 (inboard version) was the amount of weather helm in more breeze

the boat may have been set up wrong but it was my impression that the full bows were the source of the issue

anyway, if i were buying a 27 that would be the first thing i'd address, maybe moving the rig forward or reducing E

A couple of your comments indicate you might be falling into the old home builders trap of "We'll just make that a little stronger....a little beefier."

Be careful about that - it's a fast way to create a slow boat. I understand your desire for strength but you should actually be always thinking about how you can lighten things up.

The Gougeon's had a great example - cleats for attaching surfaces to each other should be triangular, not square - same mating surface area for 1/2 the weight. A 1" bulkhead on a 27' is WAY overkill.

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

A couple of your comments indicate you might be falling into the old home builders trap of "We'll just make that a little stronger....a little beefier."

Be careful about that - it's a fast way to create a slow boat. I understand your desire for strength but you should actually be always thinking about how you can lighten things up.

The Gougeon's had a great example - cleats for attaching surfaces to each other should be triangular, not square - same mating surface area for 1/2 the weight. A 1" bulkhead on a 27' is WAY overkill.

Huh.... Yeah I only doubled up the bulkhead on the outter edge so the chainplate had some real meat to hang onto, the whole bulkhead isnt 1" thick.... I'll snap some better pics at break time id say only 15% of the bulkhead is doubled 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 10:07 PM, Dirty Oar said:

Ive kept boats in marinas but takes 3 months before they chain em to the dock so i usually just sell what I got to a buddy for face value minus fees... Most of the time I own a trailer and keep my boat at home, and that might be in the future but my goal is to have a boat ready to safely and confidently cruise to Alaska for 3500$, and have it to industry and ABYC standards and insurable. 

Hell my last 3 boats I never even bothered to register.... Would paint em primer grey and no shits given... Even juked a coastguard patrol boat investigating a trail of beer and wine bottles while sailing at night high on magic mushrooms...  Yo ho yo ho pirates life for me!!!!!!

Does anyone not find these statements disturbing?

On 1/8/2019 at 11:08 PM, VWAP said:

article-0-1FB3DBC500000578-807_634x392.j

I'm in Raleigh right now. I wonder what she's up to? Looks like she might be a hoot. 

36 minutes ago, Baldur said:

I'm in Raleigh right now. I wonder what she's up to? Looks like she might be a hoot. 

post bail....and an update.

• Like 1

man I threw a boat load of time and money into my 27 a few years back.  Not nearly as down to the bone as OP but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.   Learnt a shitload.

Nice work.  Good luck and keep posting updates.

58 minutes ago, Baldur said:

They are twins!

Twin redheads, in Jail? WHAT FUN!

I don't think so - those two have nasty eyes.

Is it because of that time I let you suck my dick?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Is it because of that time I let you suck my dick?

congratulations, Good for you that after all your many many many many many years  you finally came to peace with what you are. 

nttiawwt

You're a regular Oscar Wilde.

On 1/11/2019 at 8:01 AM, Lifted Tack said:

Does anyone not find these statements disturbing?

Only thing disturbing is how fast this all went downhill.... 

Picked up that Dickinson for 100$ 

But this best illustrates how i doubled my bulkhead at the chainplates and reinforced the traveler 

20190115_170202.jpg

20190115_170141.jpg

20190115_170131.jpg