Sign in to follow this  
Great Red Shark

Harbor 20 Championship

Come on now - is there not one we can commandeer so the Ed can field Team Anarchy in Newport - I see that going so very well.

Pit Scot against people with actual major credentials in a class where the boat and ratings aren't a factor?

What you been smoking, Great?

13 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

Pit Scot against people with actual major credentials

We dont know who he would be up against because registration is not open yet.

29 minutes ago, Great Red Shark said:

Come on now - is there not one we can commandeer so the Ed can field Team Anarchy in Newport - I see that going so very well.

to say i am hated in newport beach would be an understatement. but I'd go. as for the dick comments aboug me not sailing od, nice try. did far east 23', j 24s, schock 35's, olson 30, moore 24 na's. 

45 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

Pit Scot against people with actual major credentials in a class where the boat and ratings aren't a factor?

What you been smoking, Great?

Major credentials ?   They expecting some hired-gun heavy-hitters in the H20 class are they ?:lol:

Nevermind that smell,  I was just disposing of some old rope.  That Willie Nelson left behind...

I'm reminded of Hunter Thompson trying to sneak into the Italian AC base to spray paint "Fuck the Pope" on the bottom of the 12-meter,  but getting chased away because of the rattling of the mixing ball being shaken up in the can.

What could go wrong with a flat-biller on Sunseeker row ?

1 hour ago, Editor said:

to say i am hated in newport beach would be an understatement. but I'd go. as for the dick comments aboug me not sailing od, nice try. did far east 23', j 24s, schock 35's, olson 30, moore 24 na's. 

Entry list is up.  Scott would be be put into "C" fleet as a newbie to the class. Unlikely he would get out of it. There are some serious people in that fleet who have been racing 20's thru the anchorage since the class got going. Lots of boat & local knowledge needed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Editor said:

. as for the dick comments aboug me not sailing od, nice try. did far east 23', j 24s, schock 35's, olson 30, moore 24 na's. 

Didn't you sail Tuna20s ?   (or do I have you mixed up with someone else)

Plan on sailing with gramps this year. If I can't make it out there  gramps said Scott can take my place.  They will be sailing with a friend of his that designed a few of his boats back in the day. Some dude named Bruce.  Something about they can meet on the dock in front of the new club house.

16 hours ago, Great Red Shark said:

Major credentials ?   They expecting some hired-gun heavy-hitters in the H20 class are they ?:lol:

Unfortunately , no Americas cup skippers this year?

17 hours ago, Great Red Shark said:

Can someone post the entry list?   NHYC site wants login for access?

17 hours ago, longy said:

Entry list is up.  .

Nope.

I tried to see if I could sign up.  Still no working link.

1 hour ago, Mambo Kings said:

Nope.

I tried to see if I could sign up.  Still no working link.

Sorry. Gogle delivered up 2018 list.

19 hours ago, Great Red Shark said:

flat-biller on Sunseeker row 

That's a keeper!

53 minutes ago, bwsails said:

Participants must be members of the Harbor 20 Class Association. Helmspersons have to be owners and crew need to have done at least 12 races in the same boat in the previous 12 months. See attached.

Rules Deviation Approval for Championship NOR (5 JAN 2019) (1).pdf

"Only the Helmsman shall steer the boat during a race except for momentary relief in non-tactical situations."

image.thumb.png.873b6871c5808d105776781357c5e708.png

Surprised that Dude hasn't checked in.  He's a big deal in that class.

21 hours ago, Editor said:

Scott, I have a pretty good understanding of Newport Beach and the harbor. Not to be insulting but most would not recognize you in person, in fact,  for the ones that remember you still recall your efforts to help NOSA. You are not hatted in Newport Beach and I certainly call on you often for your help. Only Scott can answer how he feels he would do in our Class Championships. Every good sailor knows the names of the people that can beat him.

On a side note: Call me anytime and I would be more than willing to hand over the tiller to you in one of our fleet races. If you feel like going offshore and freezing your ass off I will open a spot for you on Horizon for the Islands race. There is some Newport Love for you!

Your friend

Len Bose

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Dude said:

Scott, I have a pretty good understanding of Newport Beach and the harbor. Not to be insulting but most would not recognize you in person, in fact,  for the ones that remember you still recall your efforts to help NOSA. You are not hatted in Newport Beach and I certainly call on you often for your help. Only Scott can answer how he feels he would do in our Class Championships. Every good sailor knows the names of the people that can beat him.

On a side note: Call me anytime and I would be more than willing to hand over the tiller to you in one of our fleet races. If you feel like going offshore and freezing your ass off I will open a spot for you on Horizon for the Islands race. There is some Newport Love for you!

Your friend

Len Bose

now there's a friendly offer

strong owner-driver rule in that class,  no?

as for the other skippers-check So Cal results sheets from the 70s and 80s.  same dudes, just as fast even with more grey hair and asses on cockpit cushions 

3 hours ago, bwsails said:

Participants must be members of the Harbor 20 Class Association. Helmspersons have to be owners and crew need to have done at least 12 races in the same boat in the previous 12 months. See attached.

Rules Deviation Approval for Championship NOR (5 JAN 2019) (1).pdf

thank you for the reference - seems they didn't want the Farr40 scene in their class.

I hope the Harbor 20 class has a great event and you guys know I was just having a bit of fun  -  It looks like your fleet   "Gets it" - good on you. 

hey,  you guy ever run the boats up against the Alerion Express 20s ?     Just curious how the stacked up.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mambo Kings said:

We dont know who he would be up against because registration is not open yet.

We pretty much know who he'd be up against.

The Harbor 20 class was set up by experienced and successful sailors who were, you know... getting along in age. Winners on the international stage in everything from single-handers to maxi's. They identified what they wanted:

• No arms race. One-design sails with purchase restrictions. One-design rigging. Buy it and go out and race as equals.
  • Ease of boat maintenance, and ease in rigging up for the day and in putting her to bed at sunset.
  • Comfortable to sail. No hiking, must sit on cockpit benches, class cushions must be in place.
  • Fun and safe and simple "picnic" boat to take the grandchildren out for the afternoon.

And it's working! The largest pool of talent and experience in Newport Beach, CA, is in Harbor 20s. If you win in this class, you are winning against most of the best sailors in the harbor, past and present.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

The Harbor 20 class was set up by experienced and successful sailors who were, you know... getting along in age. Winners on the international stage in everything from single-handers to maxi's. 

You missed one

“Ficker is Quicker” 

3 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

The Harbor 20 class was set up by experienced and successful sailors who were, you know... getting along in age. Winners on the international stage in everything from single-handers to maxi's. They identified what they wanted:

• No arms race. One-design sails with purchase restrictions. One-design rigging. Buy it and go out and race as equals.
  • Ease of boat maintenance, and ease in rigging up for the day and in putting her to bed at sunset.
  • Comfortable to sail. No hiking, must sit on cockpit benches, class cushions must be in place.
  • Fun and safe and simple "picnic" boat to take the grandchildren out for the afternoon.

And it's working! The largest pool of talent and experience in Newport Beach, CA, is in Harbor 20s. If you win in this class, you are winning against most of the best sailors in the harbor, past and present.

I think that’s a bit of a stretch to say it’s most of the best past and present. Sure, there’s some very good sailors in the fleet, but it’s not like Ullman is out there. I can think of plenty of others who are damn good, but just won’t deal with the entitled arrogant pricks from NHYC.

Fundamentally, racing in Newport is dead except for Sabots and H20’s.

Pretty soon the H20 crowd will be doing predicted log races in Duffy’s.

29 minutes ago, sunseeker said:

I think that’s a bit of a stretch to say it’s most of the best past and present. Sure, there’s some very good sailors in the fleet, but it’s not like Ullman is out there. I can think of plenty of others who are damn good, but just won’t deal with the entitled arrogant pricks from NHYC.

Fundamentally, racing in Newport is dead except for Sabots and H20’s.

Do you feel comments like yours helps the sport? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sunseeker said:

heh heh

2 hours ago, Dude said:

Do you feel comments like yours helps the sport? 

Do you feel like racing against entitled right wing pricks from NHYC is fun? 

1 hour ago, sunseeker said:

Do you feel like racing against entitled right wing pricks from NHYC is fun? 

You are wrong.

Gramps is not entitled or right wing.Sad to be you clown

21 minutes ago, VWAP said:

You are wrong.

++1

6 hours ago, VWAP said:

You are wrong.

Obviously you’ve never spent any time around NHYC. 

13 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

For all those reasons, they're proving to be pretty popular here in God's Waiting Room.

2016 Valentine's Day Massacre

Harbor20s.jpg

They seem to like to glide along silently under Torqeedo power.

Harbor20Torqueedo.jpg

Thank goodness for this concept design. If not for the humble 20 the electric boat would have infested the world. 

And I like hanging out at NHYD458D750-3D9C-4D70-B034-26575EFDD5DB.thumb.jpeg.168c63ec0061375cbf8c691d61421f72.jpeg

A754B360-5F55-4AE5-8FA6-FBFAA45D0F97.jpeg

C28F6F7C-2E37-4EC1-872F-1C11EE27971E.jpeg

There is Harbor 20 racing here in Newport on every weekend, and during the week.

This class is racing constantly and that is success.

I hope to try it sometime for the OD nature of the racing and competive nature of the class.

Anyone bashing NHYC is just jealous.

And predicted log racing in a Duffy is funny and I hope it happens.

For me, it is all about tiller time, 170 races last year.  Five minutes to and from the race course with 34 boats in last years fleet championships, 17 boats in A fleet with four college All Americans and one Louis Vuitton skipper. I sail with my wife, which has been a very healthy thing for the marriage. 18 boats in last years fleet championships were married couples, five were father-son teams. It works for me!

Midwinters-7617.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Code 2 said:

And predicted log racing in a Duffy is funny and I hope it happens.

Indeed!

Good racing as always!

442824637_ScreenShot2019-03-04at1_40_00PM.thumb.jpg.63009b0404130ba5d3cece4e5f6f88bc.jpg

On 1/10/2019 at 9:18 AM, Code 2 said:

There is Harbor 20 racing here in Newport on every weekend, and during the week.

This class is racing constantly and that is success.

I hope to try it sometime for the OD nature of the racing and competive nature of the class.

OD is OD ... it's all good, the type of boats are relatively unimportant. OD racing in El Toros is more competitive and fun than anything PHRF can offer.

On 1/8/2019 at 4:43 PM, Editor said:

to say i am hated in newport beach would be an understatement.

Why? What happened?

IndiaTvc588d2_signs-you-are-confused.jpg

Rain and breeze 

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 11:00 AM, Dude said:

If you feel like going offshore and freezing your ass off I will open a spot for you on Horizon for the Islands race.

Holy crap, Len, how do *I* get that kinda offer?

:)