Sign in to follow this  
hasher

Hash House Harriers

Fun little thing to get out, enjoy the distance and meet people.

Running is what we do, not racing.  Show up with a shirt from a race and we will call you racist.  All in fun.   But you will do your down downs as required.  And at black sheep you will sit on the ice.  Nice group of people that I am proud to know.  It is a little international organization that stresses we are half-brains and disorganization may be our motto. I don't want to violate forum rules but can I say anarchy?

I ran into a small group of them at a  bar in Rarotonga quite a while ago. Very jovial gang, but I got the impression it was kind of a singles outing. The sweat was making the girls' make up run. They knocked back a few and continued on, I wondered how many bars they planned to hit.

I just can't imagine running in the tropics being a whole lot of fun.

I used to run in the Karachi HHH and the Singapore HHH. Both hot, both a lot of fun. Lot's of beer consumed...

On on...

I used to spend 2 weeks in NEA/SEA followed by 2 weeks home in CA. I did that tour for 4 years - Leave on Saturday morning, Japan 2 days, Korea 3 days, Saturday in Korea, hop to HK on Sunday, three days in China, hop to Taiwan or Singapore for 2 days. Fly home on Friday evening, home Friday morning (isn't the date line special!).

The HHH was all that kept me sane - Singapore, Hong Kong and Seoul. I never found it in Japan or Taiwan, but I bet it was there. 

Drinking club with a running problem

On On...

There was a good active HHH group in Antigua some years ago. I hope it's still running (and drinking).  JoJo and the sadly late Piggy were prominent members - both stalwarts of English Harbour.  Anyone down there this season and interested should ask around and find out.

years and years ago I was drinkin beers out front of my house

girl comes jogging down the street tossing hands of chalk about every 150' or so

we asked what she was doing and she explained ending with, that a large group of runners would be by in 5-10 min and she left

I ran in house and grabbed a 5lb bag of white whatever (sugar, salt detergent?) and went down to the alley she turned out of

And tossed sum similar piles continuing across my street, down alley and through a drive-through Mexican joint into Circle K parking lot

then to right in a Big circle around and into spitial ending w a happy face

over 100-200 backtracked  bunching up & milling around where I bypassed the turn up my street

took them a while but all got back on the trail

years later I was talking to a Girl @ happy hour who said she did the runs

I told her what we did and she busted up laffing

turns out that day was historic in the legends of the run around DAGO as It was a Big day for some cause or whatever and sumone Hated was Uninvited to join in any raindeer game after the last one they did

EVERYONE Knew it was That guy and Hated him More forever

He was the Only one with the knowledge and motivation to Jack-Up their Run of the Year

She said that time was still mentioned often in stories of What an AssWhole that guy was

:lol:

On my last ship deployment, we formed our own Hash House as a way to get away from the usual military/diplomatic circuit and meet people.  We ran with the Mauritius Hash, Capetown Hash, and did our own in the Seychelles.  I later connected with the White House HH in DC for a while.  Loads of fun.

15 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

I used to spend 2 weeks in NEA/SEA followed by 2 weeks home in CA. I did that tour for 4 years - Leave on Saturday morning, Japan 2 days, Korea 3 days, Saturday in Korea, hop to HK on Sunday, three days in China, hop to Taiwan or Singapore for 2 days. Fly home on Friday evening, home Friday morning (isn't the date line special!).

The HHH was all that kept me sane - Singapore, Hong Kong and Seoul. I never found it in Japan or Taiwan, but I bet it was there. 

Drinking club with a running problem

On On...

There is at least one Hash in Japan, at the American Army post, Camp Zama.  Camp Zama is just outside of Tokyo to the southwest.  

Before my knees got destroyed I used to love to run and belonged to the Samurai Hash House Harriers (SH3) at Zama.  The group was about 75% Americans, military and civilians, and about 25% Japanese.  We had a great time running all over the area, it was a good way to see typical Japanese neighborhoods, etc.  We would normally run around 10 km.  One time we went to an island off the coast for a weekend of running and partying, that was a good time.

My hash name was Peckerhead.   I used to run in a shirt from Big Peckers, an east coast surf shop.  My job was working in the mental health clinic, henceforth the name.  Part of the fun of the HHH (besides the drinking) is that some of the names are quite creative.  We had a female pharmacy tech that was dating the postal officer and both were in the SH3.  Her hash name was originally pill box, but was changed to male box when she started dating the post office guy.

I miss the HHH and I miss running, and down downs of course, as well as the mostly great folks that I met through the HHH.  A good friend of mine went to FT Hood, TX from Japan and founded the Heart of Texas Hash in Killeen. 

On on!