DryArmour

Just got the letter....

We just received the letters we were hoping would not become a reality.  All of our hat and bag suppliers sent basically the same letter letting us know that the new tariffs are in place and beginning January 31 and prices would be going up a fair bit. (10-25%)

If you or your team/event are going to be in need of head-ware or bags, now is the time to jump on it and save $$$. We have embroidery available as well. Maybe checkout some new crew shirts/jackets/etc as well while you are at it. If we have your artwork already you can just send us an email with what you would like and we'll get it mocked up ASAP.  If we don't have your artwork, we will create it for FREE for you with a qualifying order. Jump on it people. The season is right around the corner.

Nike%20New%20Era%20FlaxFit.jpg

Are we winning yet?  I just got my yr/yr results letter from my brokerage firm.   

Certainly making America Great Again.

I am just glad that this tariff only applies to hats and bags.  I suspect other categories will be next.

13 hours ago, PaulK said:

Are we winning yet?  I just got my yr/yr results letter from my brokerage firm.   

You know it has been a really bad year when that letter comes marked “insufficient postage.” Brokerage house can’t even afford to put a stamp on the envelope.

22 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

You know it has been a really bad year when that letter comes marked “insufficient postage.” Brokerage house can’t even afford to put a stamp on the envelope.

EPIC FAIL. OMG.

the secret response to this is to just not buy anything ....... simply withdraw from anything not necessary for life ........ sailing excepted.

Tariffs are taxes on consumers. So a big tax cut for the wealthy (including inheritance taxes, essentially re-enabling the aristocracy), combined with a huge tax increase for the poorer people (who consume most of their earnings). This is good for the downtrodden, left behind, red state working people? Not a fucking chance.

Remember: when someone lies to you, they are not doing so in your best interest. This administration constantly lies to you. What else does one need to know?

I am a life long Republican, disgusted by the direction the party has taken.

• Like 3

Perhaps now we can buy a bag from our neighbor who owns a small business instead of one made in a sweatshop and whos profits line the pockets of already rich corporate 1%ers who don't know or care about you or the humanity of the people who made the bag.

Or we can wear the Mt. Gay hat we got for free at a regatta and use an old bag we already have in your closet for our gear instead furiously spending it on a bag or hat with our boats name on it. Maybe we can see just how unnecessary the purchase really is and donate the money we would have spent on a worthwhile cause...

Or maybe we'll just pay the new increased price and go about our day as usual.

• Like 1

We make some of our bags here in the USA and all of the premium UPF 50+ Pro-Tech shirts and hoodies. We would love it if your yacht club, team or event patronized our MADE IN USA APPAREL. (See Pro-Tech at the top).

22 hours ago, DryArmour said:

We just received the letters we were hoping would not become a reality.  All of our hat and bag suppliers sent basically the same letter letting us know that the new tariffs are in place and beginning January 31 and prices would be going up a fair bit. (10-25%)

Me thinks its time to move this post to PA, post haste.

Eff PA.

Hoodies with spf 50+?

Just paid usd40 for a uniqlo hoodie for the significant other.  Disappointed there was nothing for me.

Where do we sign up with shipping to Asia?

7 minutes ago, nlmasopust said:

Eff PA.

Hoodies with spf 50+?

Just paid usd40 for a uniqlo hoodie for the significant other.  Disappointed there was nothing for me.

Where do we sign up with shipping to Asia?

Absolutely on the hoodies,  just click here for the Pro-Tech moisture wicking and/or click here for the water repellent DRYSHIRT version. We just did a bunch of them for Newport Harbor Yacht Club.  It is important to clarify that fabrics are rated in UPF as opposed to lotions which are SPF rated. A UPF 50+ rating on apparel is the equivalent to SPF 150 on an applied lotion. 

We also just added a women's Pro-Tech hoodie as well as youth sizing. Email me for information on those two items.

Pro-Tech%20HOODIE%204%20up.jpg

Aly Chic hoodie.jpg

7 hours ago, USA 5184 said:

Perhaps now we can buy a bag from our neighbor who owns a small business instead of one made in a sweatshop and whos profits line the pockets of already rich corporate 1%ers who don't know or care about you or the humanity of the people who made the bag.

Or we can wear the Mt. Gay hat we got for free at a regatta and use an old bag we already have in your closet for our gear instead furiously spending it on a bag or hat with our boats name on it. Maybe we can see just how unnecessary the purchase really is and donate the money we would have spent on a worthwhile cause...

1241-sheep-983137-1280.jpg

17 hours ago, Moonduster said:

If you'd click the paperless option, you'd avoid the whole ordeal.

yep , this way YOU pay for the ink and paper :rolleyes:

23 hours ago, USA 5184 said:

Here's the problem.  Do you know how many small businesses are open and in business because the items they sell come cheap from overseas?  This allows people to sell them and make enough money to stay in business.  Inventory needs turn to create revenue which allows the store owner to pay bills and hopefully make some money and live.  PS.  They also pay taxes, (and the consumer is taxed on their purchases) which, guess what?  Goes to the state and federal governments to fund all the GREAT stuff they do!

So, sure.  Let's just stop buying anything new from anybody for a year.  No, let's just try 30 days and see how that plays out for Making America Great Again.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RobbieB said:

Here's the problem.  Do you know how many small businesses are open and in business because the items they sell come cheap from overseas?  This allows people to sell them and make enough money to stay in business.  Inventory needs turn to create revenue which allows the store owner to pay bills and hopefully make some money and live.  PS.  They also pay taxes, (and the consumer is taxed on their purchases) which, guess what?  Goes to the state and federal governments to fund all the GREAT stuff they do!

So, sure.  Let's just stop buying anything new from anybody for a year.  No, let's just try 30 days and see how that plays out for Making America Great Again.

RobbieB gets it.  All we are trying to do is help our customers save some money by ordering now before the tariffs kick in. Thank you RobbieB for explaining it in easy to understand terms.

Many thanks to all of you who have ordered from us. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you.

• Like 1

@DryArmour  What country (countries) are the products made in that you got “the letters” from?

Just now, J28 said:

@DryArmour  What country (countries) are the products made in that you got “the letters” from?

China.

Are there companies in other countries that can make the products for you?

7 minutes ago, J28 said:

Are there companies in other countries that can make the products for you?

The products for us that it most effects are New Era hats and bags, FlexFit hats, Ogio Bags, Port and Company, Sport Tech, Port Authority, Carharrt and a few others. These companies are supplied form their own Chinese factories for the most part.  That represents the bulk of hats sold in the USA.

1 hour ago, DryArmour said:

RobbieB gets it.  All we are trying to do is help our customers save some money by ordering now before the tariffs kick in. Thank you RobbieB for explaining it in easy to understand terms.

Many thanks to all of you who have ordered from us. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you.

Comes from experience.  2 yrs big box store retail management, 3 yrs department store buyer/inventory control and 10 yrs as an owner/operator of a retail clothing store.  People just don't have a clue with what's about to happen if all these tariffs kick in.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DryArmour said:

The products for us that it most effects are New Era hats and bags, FlexFit hats, Ogio Bags, Port and Company, Sport Tech, Port Authority, Carharrt and a few others. These companies are supplied form their own Chinese factories for the most part.  That represents the bulk of hats sold in the USA.

So the Chinese have captured the world market for sports apparel?  Seems like there should be opportunities In other places for companies to set up shop to produce them.  

1 hour ago, RobbieB said:

Comes from experience.  2 yrs big box store retail management, 3 yrs department store buyer/inventory control and 10 yrs as an owner/operator of a retail clothing store.  People just don't have a clue with what's about to happen if all these tariffs kick in.  

You speak from experience for sure.  We are thrilled that our top selling products are MADE IN USA (UPF 50+ Pro-Tech shirts and neck gaiters). If the tariffs do kick in across the board, it will be great for our company. We love building stuff here and supporting the local economy.

1 minute ago, J28 said:

So the Chinese have captured the world market for sports apparel?  Seems like there should be opportunities In other places for companies to set up shop to produce them.  

Chinese companies are taking it a step further. They are buying up production facilities in Vietnam and Cambodia to beat the tariffs. The Chinese are also on the move in Africa where some truly terrible things are happening.  I'll have to dig out a recent article about local political leaders in Africa effectively selling their people into slavery to the Chinese. I will post that when I have a second. Sorry I can't site the sources this second.

• Like 1

Simple sounding solutions are usually wrong.

We design and manufacture (for a very small market) specialized electronic instrumentation in the US. The components that go into our products are manufactured in many countries, China, Japan, Switzerland, Germany, and others. Not too much manufacturing of basic electronic components takes place in the US any more- though there is some. Why is a story in itself. 

But by far most of the value added for our products- all design, assembly, and testing- takes place right here in the US, and has provided  jobs for a number of people for quite a few years now. We export globally.

The tariffs will make our products more expensive for US consumers and hurt our ability to be competitive internationally. Most US manufacturing is of this nature- higher end value added, rather than components or raw materials like steel or aluminum. Tariffs on source materials hurt this sort of US manufacturing disproportionately, cost jobs, and still won’t materially improve the ability of US raw materials manufacturers to be competitive. From an economics point of view, the tariffs, if intended to help US manufacturing, are being implemented bass ackwards. 

These tariffs come out of a crude, mercantilist view of trade that doesn’t fit the current technological or communications reality. The last few decades have been about accomplishing more with fewer raw materials and better knowledge and design. It’s a heavy displacement philosophy applied to an ULDB, carbon fiber world.  Sad. 

• Like 2

On 1/10/2019 at 9:57 AM, carcrash said:

Tariffs are taxes on consumers. So a big tax cut for the wealthy (including inheritance taxes, essentially re-enabling the aristocracy), combined with a huge tax increase for the poorer people (who consume most of their earnings). This is good for the downtrodden, left behind, red state working people? Not a fucking chance.

Remember: when someone lies to you, they are not doing so in your best interest. This administration constantly lies to you. What else does one need to know?

I am a life long Republican, disgusted by the direction the party has taken.

+1

I've now decided that US politics is basically a choice between who's crazies you are least annoyed by at election time. Crazy on the left with bleeding heart agendas robbing long term winners to fund perpetual losers and calling it "compassion", or crazy on the right being downright evil to everyone who doesn't look, pray, fuck or speak like them and calling it "American". 

Sometimes the right crazies are kind-of quiet, in their box and more or less under control of the guys who just want everyone to make money, sometimes the left crazies spawn something with a little more common sense and shut up while it speaks. That makes the choice easier, if less actually beneficial in the end.

Right now we have nutter Thunderdome.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wet Spreaders said:

Crazy on the left with bleeding heart agendas robbing long term winners to fund perpetual losers and calling it "compassion"

The group I travel through life with have had more money and success than I ever dreamed of.  They are also concerned about those with less inheritance, less education and less means.  Taking care of the widow, the orphan, the sick and the weak is the sign of a healthy society.  It's also good to pay people who work a decent wage.  I raised my children to support themselves and they do.  I see a lot of hard working poor people around here and statistics back it up.  I see the rich getting richer and it's one of the things the prophets in the old testament warned about, if you like that little historical document.

• Like 1