Sign in to follow this  
bgytr

mactac antifouling bottom?

https://www.mactacgraphics.eu/en/product/macglide-foil

Has anyone out there tried this on their boat for antifouling?  The claim is the slick surface makes it difficult for marine growth to adhere.  I'm skeptical,  but wonder if anyone has tried it.

I have not tried it yet, but it sure looks interesting. I talked to our local distributor and it is supposed to last at least 5 years. The surface needs to be super clean, though as any particle on the surface can seed marine growth. You will have to pay a professional for the application as it is too complicated for DIY. And the surface needs to be prepared to like new condition. I still think it is attractive, though as it lasts and there is basically no maintenance between seasons.

ya it does look interesting if it performs as promised.  I might try to set up a couple test strips comparing to a few bottom coatings and see what happens. 

Mactac is basically a silicone film so I suspect its antifouling properties (or lack of) are similar to silicone paints like Hempels Silic-one. What I have seen it should work quite well on a reasonably fast boat (15 knots+) in (more or less) daily use but not so much for a sailboat that is used once a week. Should be easy to clean though.   

23 hours ago, Pelle said:

Mactac is basically a silicone film so I suspect its antifouling properties (or lack of) are similar to silicone paints like Hempels Silic-one. What I have seen it should work quite well on a reasonably fast boat (15 knots+) in (more or less) daily use but not so much for a sailboat that is used once a week. Should be easy to clean though.   

I think it will be a lot smoother than the average paint job. And then I expect its fouling release properties to be quite good, so a quick wipe or some higher speeds should get rid of everything.