Moster

J/122 diesel heater installation

Searching for advise how to arrange the ducting and install a diesel heater in a J/122?

Does your crew mind hiking next to a hot chimney? ;)

1 hour ago, MikeR80 said:

Does your crew mind hiking next to a hot chimney? ;)

Not a big issue, sailing the boat shorthanded ;-)

I assume you are installing a forced air webasto or similar, in which case the exhaust will be on the transom so hiking is not a problem. I installed one on my J019 a few years ago, but have never been on a 122. If you have the 2 cabin version it should fit well, mine is tucked up high in aft end of the storage locker. I do not know where to put one on the 3 cabin layout.

Running the ducts is a challenge. Mine had room to run forward through the head, nav station with no visible hose. There was no room to run it forward to the v berth since the tankage under the settees and structure for the tie rod for the shrouds is in the way. The solution was to loop the duct over the area above the seat back, about 1 1/2 feet of duct shows before it dives back down and the other side of the tie rod. I had meant to build a little wooden box to cover it but it is pretty unobtrusive so I never bothered.

I added a small vent in the storage locker. When it is full of wet stuff I open it and it drys stuff out well. I could find no reasonable way to run a duct to the aft cabin so did not bother, we do not use it much anyway and with the door open it warms up pretty good. The loudest part of the set up is the fuel pump, newer versions are supposed to be quieter, but listen before you buy.

23 hours ago, steele said:

I assume you are installing a forced air webasto or similar, in which case the exhaust will be on the transom so hiking is not a problem. I installed one on my J019 a few years ago, but have never been on a 122. If you have the 2 cabin version it should fit well, mine is tucked up high in aft end of the storage locker. I do not know where to put one on the 3 cabin layout.

Running the ducts is a challenge. Mine had room to run forward through the head, nav station with no visible hose. There was no room to run it forward to the v berth since the tankage under the settees and structure for the tie rod for the shrouds is in the way. The solution was to loop the duct over the area above the seat back, about 1 1/2 feet of duct shows before it dives back down and the other side of the tie rod. I had meant to build a little wooden box to cover it but it is pretty unobtrusive so I never bothered.

I added a small vent in the storage locker. When it is full of wet stuff I open it and it drys stuff out well. I could find no reasonable way to run a duct to the aft cabin so did not bother, we do not use it much anyway and with the door open it warms up pretty good. The loudest part of the set up is the fuel pump, newer versions are supposed to be quieter, but listen before you buy.

Thank's very much for sharing. I have the 3 cabin layout and have tried hard to find out where to install the heater and how to run the ducting, especially to the v berth and the head in the forecabin. Will try small size duct and hope some hot air will find the way.   

One option is to go with a hydronic system, the lines are much smaller and you have the benefit of hot water.  It does not solve the problem of where to mount the heater and pump, and fan forced radiators take up more space and power than ducted vents.

Did J offer a system as an option when new? If so they might have some ideas.

Hydronic is easier to install due to small hoses instead of ducts - but it does not remove humidity like the ducted units do. It's just heats the air inside. A ducted unit is usually  taking cold/dry air from outside, heating it, & exchanging the interior air. Of course this depends on how/where you install the main unit - you can feed it cabin air, this will reduce energy usage, but will not reduce humidity as much. But you can set up intake air to come from either in or out of the cabin.

Check the normal water temp of your engine before you think about a hydronic system

We had one on a 122 in the port side aft compartment and just ran the duct to the central cabin in front of the nav station. A few fans in the main cabin and alls good.

4 hours ago, Funslut said:

We had one on a 122 in the port side aft compartment and just ran the duct to the central cabin in front of the nav station. A few fans in the main cabin and alls good.

Planning to install the airheater in the same way. Have found a way throught the port cabin (on the shelf) , throught the locker, under the navarea and out just aft of the dieseltank. Think that part will be an OK installation. Problem is how to get the ducting further into the forecabin and the toilet. Will have to experiment. Still som time before the ice disappears from the lake.