nacradriver

iPod Rebuild Question

After about 13 years my iPod Gen 6 160 MG Classic is taking a krap... It is the hard drive that is failing, at least that is what the diagnostic test noted with the large number of relocated and pending sectors on the SMART diagnostic section.... and the other tell tale nuisances like skipping songs/albums and taking a long time to load...   Wow.... can't believe I have almost 4500 hours of use on this thing... let alone the battery... as for hardware, I have to say Apple got it right because I know this thing has taken a beating..

Looking around it appears I can upgrade the disk from the magnetic drive to a quad SD mini card to get more memory along with jail breaking the software to run some other open source stuff like Rockbox... not that iTunes is such a stellar performing program on a "winders" machine... not :eek::(

My question here is has any done this? Or did you did you just toss yours when in kraped out? Really don't want to toss this thing, it is a solid all metal unit and has served me well for 13 years, maybe I can get another 13 out of it...
Thanks

24 minutes ago, nacradriver said:
After about 13 years my iPod Gen 6 160 MG Classic is taking a krap... It is the hard drive that is failing, at least that is what the diagnostic test noted with the large number of relocated and pending sectors on the SMART diagnostic section.... and the other tell tale nuisances like skipping songs/albums and taking a long time to load...   Wow.... can't believe I have almost 4500 hours of use on this thing... let alone the battery... as for hardware, I have to say Apple got it right because I know this thing has taken a beating..

Looking around it appears I can upgrade the disk from the magnetic drive to a quad SD mini card to get more memory along with jail breaking the software to run some other open source stuff like Rockbox... not that iTunes is such a stellar performing program on a "winders" machine... not :eek::(

My question here is has any done this? Or did you did you just toss yours when in kraped out? Really don't want to toss this thing, it is a solid all metal unit and has served me well for 13 years, maybe I can get another 13 out of it...
Thanks

How about buying another one on Ebay?

14 minutes ago, Rum Runner said:

How about buying another one on Ebay?

That is option #2... they have new one from China for about triple the cost of what the rebuild components are going to cost me...

11 minutes ago, Merrill Levi said:

best source of info I have found so far for repairing iDevices is https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iPod_Original

however they do not list iPod gen 6, which is a little weird cuz they list almost every other mobile device known.

They do... it is the iPod Classic

I've replaced the screen and the battery in a 1st gen ipod nano, which looks similar in construction to the classic. Lots of tutorials and replacement parts online like that ifixit link. Lots on YouTube too. Getting them open just takes patience and a gentle touch in the right places. Once they are open, if you've done any electronics repairs before, you should be fine.

Get the little plastic wedge/prybar tools that are sold for this to keep from damaging the ipod.  I always get a new set each time because they get a bit mangled in the process. 

Good luck.  

1 hour ago, Slick470 said:

I've replaced the screen and the battery in a 1st gen ipod nano, which looks similar in construction to the classic. Lots of tutorials and replacement parts online like that ifixit link. Lots on YouTube too. Getting them open just takes patience and a gentle touch in the right places. Once they are open, if you've done any electronics repairs before, you should be fine.

Get the little plastic wedge/prybar tools that are sold for this to keep from damaging the ipod.  I always get a new set each time because they get a bit mangled in the process. 

Good luck.  

Thanks Slick...  there is a tool called iSesme that is mentioned a few times on the Youtube video...  looks pretty straight forward.  

I've fixed a bunch of iPods, both mine and other people's. I;m contemplating replacing the battery and converting to SD cards the one for the boat. (i have 2 160Gb classics).  It looks straightforward and not too expensive.  It needs a drive as well. 

I have a chinese battery in my work iPod that's held up well. 2+ years of almost constant use.  It has a replacement hard drive I got from eBay cheap. 

The only thing holding me back is in the new modern age streaming seems the way to go.  Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Sony have all dropped native support for iPod in favor of Bluetooth, Airplay, and Google and streaming, etc.

My XMas present to myself was a 4K Samsung TV and a new Denon receiver. No native iPod control which I miss. I've ordered a $17 chinese iPod Bluetooth transmitter which allegedly does full control but my hopes are not high. I looked for a decent receiver with native iPod control to no avail.

I still love them the iPod tho. Lossless songs are great on the big drive ones.

3 hours ago, DrewR said:

I've fixed a bunch of iPods, both mine and other people's. I;m contemplating replacing the battery and converting to SD cards the one for the boat. (i have 2 160Gb classics).  It looks straightforward and not too expensive.  It needs a drive as well. 

I have a chinese battery in my work iPod that's held up well. 2+ years of almost constant use.  It has a replacement hard drive I got from eBay cheap. 

The only thing holding me back is in the new modern age streaming seems the way to go.  Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Sony have all dropped native support for iPod in favor of Bluetooth, Airplay, and Google and streaming, etc.

My XMas present to myself was a 4K Samsung TV and a new Denon receiver. No native iPod control which I miss. I've ordered a $17 chinese iPod Bluetooth transmitter which allegedly does full control but my hopes are not high. I looked for a decent receiver with native iPod control to no avail.

I still love them the iPod tho. Lossless songs are great on the big drive ones.

My existing Samsung is just about ready to shit the bed, so I was all set to pull the trigger on a Samsung 65" Q9 series when Apple announced that the new 2019 models will have Airplay2 built in and access to all the Apple TV apps natively in the 2019 models without the Apple TV itself is about to come out so..............I am putting up with a little fade on the extreme right side of my existing set. I can do that for a few more months. I already have the Denon receiver but I'm thinking of skipping that in favor of the sonos wireless playbar and the 5:1 speaker set. Which Samsung did you get?

Mine shit itself with plenty of music that hasn’t made the cut on Spotify and iTunes won’t recognise a lot of it with out the CDs- which I threw away in the last garage cull.

Fuck I hate apple.

Want mine? It is just sitting in a drawer doing nothing. I'll dig it out and post the details if you're interested.

29 minutes ago, derelicte said:

Want mine? It is just sitting in a drawer doing nothing. I'll dig it out and post the details if you're interested.

Sure... shoot me a PM...  that is if you're talking to me...  :D

3 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Sure... shoot me a PM...  that is if you're talking to me...  :D

yep. I'll check it out this weekend.

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

Mine shit itself with plenty of music that hasn’t made the cut on Spotify and iTunes won’t recognise a lot of it with out the CDs- which I threw away in the last garage cull.

Fuck I hate apple.

Yea... there are about 80 songs in my library that won't sync...  even though I have authorized the computer to do so... 

When I rebuild this thing, I am loading the Rockbox software onto it in place of the Apple IOS...

1 minute ago, derelicte said:

yep. I'll check it out this weekend.

That's a rog!

shit. it is only 30gb. I thought it was bigger than that. offer still stands though. I have it charging up now. 

sorry to get your hopes up.

all you guys with broken iPods, put them on eBay. Demand is still high, and they are very repairable. 

18 hours ago, Point Break said:

Which Samsung did you get?

Smasung NU6900.  So far I like it.  Black Fri deal for $373.  I've been a Sony Bravia dude for years, now the 40" is in the bedroom and the 32" is my new computer monitor. 

I have too many TV's... 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, derelicte said:

shit. it is only 30gb. I thought it was bigger than that. offer still stands though. I have it charging up now. 

sorry to get your hopes up.

Can you send a pic.... 

2 hours ago, DrewR said:

all you guys with broken iPods, put them on eBay. Demand is still high, and they are very repairable. 

Yes they are.... and Craigs List too...   the hot set up is going from the magnetic disk drive to the SD card memory...  and jail braking the Apple Operating System...  Saw one YouTube where the guy had 512 Gigs memory and loaded a Rockbox to it...  he didn't need to go into "disk mode" when he wanted to store files on the thing...  512 gigs.... that is a shit load of songs...  

I pick up one yesterday of of CL with a broken screen for $20 that is going to be my practice cadaver before.  New battery, screen, and iFalsh SD memory drive for another $90 and bar not screwing anything up, I'll bring it back to life... 

whats an ipod ?

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 12:27 PM, Point Break said:

My existing Samsung is just about ready to shit the bed, so I was all set to pull the trigger on a Samsung 65" Q9 series when Apple announced that the new 2019 models will have Airplay2 built in and access to all the Apple TV apps natively in the 2019 models without the Apple TV itself is about to come out so..............I am putting up with a little fade on the extreme right side of my existing set. I can do that for a few more months. I already have the Denon receiver but I'm thinking of skipping that in favor of the sonos wireless playbar and the 5:1 speaker set. Which Samsung did you get?

GeBus ... go to CostCo and buy a TCL 5th Gen on sale now

RUKO TV built in

I use Free OTA & DIRECT-TV NOW 200+ Chanels + $35 a mo

I must have 2,000 Chanels  coming off the InterWeb alone

or you can Pay the Fuck to apple for your limited viewing 

oh and ya it's Bluetooth for sound