mojounwin

Marlow D12 Max Sk99

Recommended Posts

I’m thing about getting some of this stuff for standing rigging on a trailer sailer. Anyone got any experience with it?

ive used Dynex Dux on a previous boat and was pretty happy with it, but only comes in 5mm + diameter.

Cheers

Mojo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pre-stretch and take all the creep out of your splices before you go out, so build everything a couple mils shorter than it's supposed to be. (creep should be published)

There are a couple aftermarket coatings you could use to make it more UV stable and abrasion resistant (Maxijacket, teflox)

Kind of funny how square riggers used to have textile rigging coated in tar and now we're going back to the same thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Northwest rigger uses it for standing rigging on an int14. At his advice I’m using for a backstay on a 43’er..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MAX99 comes coated, definitely try to set your splices before you install. Have had good experience using it for lashings and headstay strop on 12m. Be aware the it is about 0.5-1mm larger diameter than published, so get a test piece to try in thimbles/ferrules/fittings before you purchase lengths.

 

HW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Haligonian Winterr said:

MAX99 comes coated, definitely try to set your splices before you install. Have had good experience using it for lashings and headstay strop on 12m. Be aware the it is about 0.5-1mm larger diameter than published, so get a test piece to try in thimbles/ferrules/fittings before you purchase lengths.

  

HW

My understanding is that it comes at the published diameter but as soon as it slides around a radius a few times it "fluffs" up and becomes .5-1mm thicker than at the start. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jackolantern said:

My understanding is that it comes at the published diameter but as soon as it slides around a radius a few times it "fluffs" up and becomes .5-1mm thicker than at the start. 

The piece we got was 10mm published and would not fit through a 10mm ferrule. 9/8mm fit with punishment and we settled on 7mm.

 

HW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Standard product for textile rigging on the A-Cat's in smaller sizes (2.5mm and 3mm). Mike @ Zhik orders it special from Marlow and double processes it through the heat set procedure for reduced creep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2019 at 8:47 PM, Haligonian Winterr said:

The piece we got was 10mm published and would not fit through a 10mm ferrule. 9/8mm fit with punishment and we settled on 7mm.

  

 HW

With the runner tensions you guys run over there on CXII I'm shocked you couldn't squeeze 100mm through a 10mm ferrule ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now